How to sell F1'd gun - THR

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > NFA Firearms and Accessories

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Thread Tools
Old September 22, 2016, 10:21 PM   #1
Join Date: August 3, 2015
Posts: 78
How to sell F1'd gun

If I were to F1 a CZ Evo as a SBR with a suppressor, what would I need to to do if I decided to sell it?
Bozrdang is offline  
Old September 22, 2016, 11:15 PM   #2
Contributing Member
Join Date: December 24, 2010
Location: Renton, WA
Posts: 3,668
Remove the features that made it a SBR, sell it.
There are no "good guns". There are no "bad guns". Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a decent person is no threat to anybody except bad people. - Charlton Heston 1997
bikemutt is online now  
Old September 23, 2016, 12:39 AM   #3
Join Date: May 26, 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,491
Sell it as a two stamp gun, take some of the payment up front to start the transfer and the balance when the stamps come in. You can advertise it on Gunbroker, here, or a number of other places.

Be prepared to take a hit on the price, as someone who wants that exact set up can do it themselves pretty easily, so you have to make it worth it for them to buy your gun. You will never get your $400 stamp money back. So depending on the set up, expect $600+ less than what you have in it.

The buyer will still have to wait months before they can pick it up. Make sure you engrave it properly as required by law when you SBR it.

If you plan on selling it later not as a SBR, I would engrave the short barrel. A prospective buyer probably does not want your information on his gun (further price reduction). You might consider purchasing a short barrel for SBRing it as opposed to cutting the original in that case.

Thomas Jefferson:"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

Last edited by Acera; September 23, 2016 at 12:44 AM.
Acera is offline  
Old September 23, 2016, 10:20 AM   #4
Join Date: June 18, 2010
Location: 'MURICA!
Posts: 4,175
Like Acera said you have two options, you can remove the features that make it an SBR and sell the can separately or sell it as an sbr with a transfer. The only thing I would do differently is I would get paid for it up front in full.

But yeah you basically lose the bribes, I mean tax stamps you already paid for.
Join NRA Today!
Right now there are anti & pro gun laws being proposed in YOUR State, get involved!

Ryanxia is offline  
Old September 23, 2016, 11:18 AM   #5
Join Date: January 23, 2011
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Posts: 1,361
Unfortunately there is not much of a market for used NFA weapons (except machine guns obviously, and sometimes more difficult to source DDs, but those are not at issue here).

If you sell to someone in your state of residence, you can do one Form 4 from you to him. This requires the same wait and tax as any other form 4, there's just no dealer involved.

This is usually pretty difficult to do for people who aren't otherwise friends because it involves a great deal of trust. He will have to give you the money up front (or should anyway) and then he won't see anything for maybe 6 months. And as the seller, you will be receiving the completed transfer form. So if he doesn't trust you to call him and let him know that the transfer has been approved it could turn into a mess. And not saying that you would, but there is the risk of the seller just canceling the transfer and walking. Most of the risk is on the buyer and not the seller, but that means there are fewer people who will want to buy from you.

(As an aside to an already long post, I had to give up on an awesome price for a MAC 11/9 from a friend's estate because I couldn't trust his widow to hold up her end of the deal)

The only way I'd do this would be if it was a transfer between friends OR (in the case of a machine gun or high dollar weapon) sufficient safeguards were put in place like contracts, escrow agencies, lawyers, etc. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't think it's worth it to go through all of that for a form 1 SBR.

If you sell to someone out of state, you'll very likely have a 2 stamp (per item!) process. Because the gun has to go through a dealer in the buyers state, the process will be: Form 4 to a dealer in your state ($200 Tax paid), form 3 from dealer in your state to dealer in buyers state, form 4 from dealer in buyer's state to buyer ($200 tax paid). There may be a way for you to do a form 4 from you directly to the dealer in the buyer's state, but I'm not positive. Someone else will need to answer that question). So in effect, you would have $400 tax due per item to sell the NFA weapon to someone out of state.

Option 3 is to sell to a dealer in your state (which is probably the easiest route for you, but will net the least cash.

Now you're starting to see why a lot of people consider NFA weapons "lifetime purchases" because of all the taxes and hassle, people would want a significant cost savings over building their own. Because sellers really can't make much money, there's not much of a secondary market. That said, most of the suppressors I have were "used" (dealers rotating out their lightly used demo cans). Most of the used cans I see are $200-400 for decent 9mm cans, and honestly anything more than that and I'd just buy new.

So, after all of that, I'd reconsider if you really wanted to sell, but if you do I would recommend selling the gun as a title 1 weapon (i.e. No longer a SBR). And figure out your absolute bottom price for the can and see if anyone you know wants it, or if you could sell it to a dealer. If you do decide to sell any NFA weapons, be prepared for a bunch of people to try to get you to make illegal transfers (i.e. "I'll give you $200 more if we don't worry about the paperwork" type of thing).

Good luck!
-TK, ΛΧΑ ΘΑ 1071
"It is the primary right of men to die and kill for the land they live in, and to punish with exceptional severity all members of their own race who have warmed their hands at the invader's hearth" - Winston Churchill
Telekinesis is offline  
Old September 24, 2016, 10:32 AM   #6
Join Date: February 27, 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 2,658
You would probably get more money, and sell it much easier, if you removed the NFA features and sold it as a Title I weapon. The buyer could then SBR it again on his own. In the meantime, he would have immediate possession. The tax is the same to him either way -- either a $200 transfer tax on a Form 4 or a $200 "making" tax on a Form 1.
AlexanderA is offline  

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:40 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
This site, its contents, Shooting Reviews, and its contents are Copyright (c) 2010-2016 Firearms Forum, Inc.
Although The High Road has attempted to provide accurate information on the forum, The High Road assumes no responsibility for the accuracy of the information. All information is provided "as is" with all faults without warranty of any kind, either express or implied. Neither The High Road nor any of its directors, members, managers, employees, agents, vendors, or suppliers will be liable for any direct, indirect, general, bodily injury, compensatory, special, punitive, consequential, or incidental damages including, without limitation, lost profits or revenues, costs of replacement goods, loss or damage to data arising out of the use or inability to use this forum or any services associated with this forum, or damages from the use of or reliance on the information present on this forum, even if you have been advised of the possibility of such damages.