Quantcast
NFA branch not cashing tax stamp checks? - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > NFA Firearms and Accessories

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old July 22, 2016, 02:51 PM   #1
MCMXI

NFA branch not cashing tax stamp checks?

I sent in six form 4s for a friend at the end of March and two more for him in June. The six were sent with a check for $1200 and the two with a check for $400 but neither check has been cashed yet . I called the ATF yesterday and a woman told me that they're processing end of March forms now and that I should call back in a week. However, I'm really surprised that the checks haven't been cashed. Typically they get cashed within a week of arrival. Any ideas? The same woman told me that the forms get opened in a different building and then they're sent over to another building with information stating "paid". She mentioned that some people have received tax stamps without ever having a check cashed. This is messed up!
Old July 22, 2016, 03:14 PM   #2
Acera

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCMXI View Post
She mentioned that some people have received tax stamps without ever having a check cashed. This is messed up!
Why can't I be that lucky...........................
Thomas Jefferson:"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
Old July 22, 2016, 06:28 PM   #3
medalguy
Contributing Member

It's the government. Of course it's messed up.
Old July 23, 2016, 12:15 AM   #4
CraigC
Contributing Member

My check was deposited March 14th after having been sent a week prior. Haven't looked for the one I sent the day before the deadline.
http://www.sixgunner.org
Old July 23, 2016, 12:24 AM   #5
kell490

I wonder if they figure out the stamp was never paid for can they come back on you. ATF is sneaky that way some big collectors years ago got raided and million dollar collections confiscated only to find out each one was stamped but took weeks in court rooms to get them back only to find the ATF busted and bashed them up keeping them piled up in a locker.
Old July 23, 2016, 07:05 AM   #6
rb288

Well, I sent 1 sbr, 1 sbs, and 2 suppressors in the first of July and had all 4 checks cashed within a week of sending up.
Maybe, it has something to do with putting multiple forms on one check.
Unfortunately, you may not know whether they have them for a month or so, until they get entered into their system.
And, yes, I have heard that some people have never had their checks cashed.
Old July 23, 2016, 09:20 AM   #7
jmorris

IIRC the checks always cashed inside 14 days for me, might be another 4 months before they went "pending" but they opened them up and got the money right away.
Old July 23, 2016, 10:47 AM   #8
giggitygiggity

I mailed in a Form 4 on 11 July to beat the 41F postmark deadline. It arrived on 13 July and the ATF charged my credit card on 18 July. Amazing how they can open a package, look at the credit card numbers, take your money, and then wait around for 6-12 months before approving your permission slip (tax stamp application). They should be taking my money only when approving my stamp. They probably charge right away so credit card numbers don't become outdated or checks voided by the time they get around to processing the application. Regardless, their lack of timliness should not be made everyone else's problem.

Last edited by giggitygiggity; Yesterday at 12:29 PM.
Old July 23, 2016, 02:39 PM   #9
CraigC
Contributing Member

My last one was sent the 12th and cashed the 20th. Comes up as an electronic transaction, rather than a check.
http://www.sixgunner.org
Old July 23, 2016, 08:54 PM   #10
Swing

Every form I've ever done (F1/F4) either had the check cashed within a few days it was received. Or, if eForms, it hit my credit card instantly. That includes the F1 I put in less than 48-hours before 41F went into force. So, this is a new one to me.
Old July 23, 2016, 10:11 PM   #11
bikemutt
Contributing Member

I've never had a check/credit card not clear in days with ATF.
There are no "good guns". There are no "bad guns". Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a decent person is no threat to anybody — except bad people. - Charlton Heston 1997
Old Yesterday, 05:10 AM   #12
Theohazard

I don't know if this is the cause of your problem, but I can tell you that our shop has had issues in the past with bundling multiple submissions together with one large check or one copy of the trust, even though the ATF tells you to do it that way.

It's not a good idea to send one large check or just one copy of your trust for multiple items; once in a while the submissions get split up and then they each don't have a corresponding check or trust copy to go with it. We had the ATF flat-out deny one customer's silencer and then approve the other, all because he sent in one $400 check and one copy of his trust for two items.

I know it works right most of the time, but we've learned to always send in a separate $200 check and trust copy for each submission. There's no reason to make it easier for the ATF to mess up.