Quantcast
Advice on double barrel project gun - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > NFA Firearms and Accessories

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old July 20, 2016, 08:50 PM   #1
Big D

Advice on double barrel project gun

Hey yall. I've always wanted a short double barrel, maybe 11-12'' (several inches in front of the hand-guard) with a full length butt stock. I have been perusing gunbroker to obtain a project double, but wanted advice from folks that have already been through the NFA process. Based on the research I have done, if I wanted to manufacture a previously purchased, legal length shotgun into an NFA SBS, I would first process the necessary paperwork, pay the $200 tax, and await the receipt of that tax stamp before cutting down said shotgun.

I do not know if I am comfortable cutting down the barrels myself, which would leave me with the option of having a gunsmith perform the work. If I went that route, what would that involve? I assume the gunsmith would have to also be a Class 3 dealer, but I do not know.

All I am wanting done is the barrel cut down, the center void between the barrels filled (JB weld?), and cold blued. Maybe that wouldn't be too much to tackle myself after the necessary paperwork and stamp approval. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old July 20, 2016, 08:58 PM   #2
Acera

It really is not that hard to cut the barrels and get a good finished look.

Helps if you go slow and have some basic tools. I cut a pair of barrels to a shade over 18 inches not long ago and did it with a simple hacksaw, a square and a couple of files. Used epoxy to fill in the void, JB Weld would probably be better. Cold blue touched it all up and it looked good. (I find it handy to have a bottle of that around for a number of projects)

Paperwork is the biggest headache, and now the extended wait as all the paperwork from last week clears. You probably got a year to think about it after you file your paperwork.

Thomas Jefferson:"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
Old July 21, 2016, 07:55 AM   #3
Ryanxia

You could also remove the barrel from the shotgun and give the only the barrel to a gunsmith (or someone) to work on. Like Acera said, the wait time for the tax stamp will be high right now but time is going to pass either way.

www.odb.org
Old July 21, 2016, 12:54 PM   #4
MasterSergeantA

I shortened a 10 gauge a while back (I know...crazy) and it was quite simple. After hacking it off to within a fraction of an inch from where I wanted it, I had a friend of mine put it in his mill and carefully shave off just enough material to make it square and clean. Used a bamboo skewer to stuff some 000 steel wool into the void between the barrels as a backing for the JB Weld that went in last. I left a little extra on top to allow for shrinkage as it set up, then used a small file to clean it up. Cold blue (Oxpho-Blue from Brownells) finished it up.
Old July 21, 2016, 03:01 PM   #5
Ryanxia

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterSergeantA View Post
I shortened a 10 gauge a while back (I know...crazy)
Nice. I was given a break open 10 gauge for a Christmas gift and I had a friend take the 28" barrel down to 18.25". It's quite intimidating looking. I call her Mist Maker

www.odb.org
Old July 22, 2016, 12:16 PM   #6
MasterSergeantA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanxia View Post
Nice. I was given a break open 10 gauge for a Christmas gift and I had a friend take the 28" barrel down to 18.25". It's quite intimidating looking. I call her Mist Maker
Very nice! I took an old H&R goose gun in 10 gauge and did the same thing. Guys in the shop said it looks like something a plumber would bring in to fix a sink. I was going to SBS an Ithaca Roadblocker, just for S&Gs, but a friend really wanted it and talked me out of it. He uses it for hunting sandhill cranes since I had both the original LE barrel and a longer one with it.