Quantcast
Academy sports - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Social Situations > Activism

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old June 17, 2016, 07:51 AM   #1
Handloader109

Academy sports

Academy is pulling all modern defense rifles, aka "assault style rifles" from their shelves. Daniel defense has terminated their contract. I fired off email to DS supporting this and notifying them that AS is now on my do not buy from list. Will be notifying AS as well in order to insure that They know that this policy stinks. Supposedly some new record keeping of your ammo purchases also. AINT HAPPENING TO Me! Please join me in stopping this ignorant action by Academy sports. . Email, write, call. This could be just the start.
Old June 17, 2016, 10:49 AM   #2
LeonCarr

Letter of disgust sent to Academy, and letter of thanks sent to Daniel Defense.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
How often does an armed criminal/enemy combatant who is intent on inflicting death or grave bodily harm on a law abiding citizen/law enforcement officer/soldier, stand out in the open, squarely facing you, with his hands at his side and holding perfectly still while allowing you to shoot at him and all the while not shooting back at you?
Old June 17, 2016, 01:08 PM   #3
Ryanxia

Just sent them a letter. Forgot to copy it to post here. Won't do business with them. Like Dick's Sporting Goods and Cheaper than Dirt, they will not get a cent from me.

www.odb.org
Old June 17, 2016, 02:09 PM   #4
Handloader109

I'll post the reply I got tonight From Academy, Didn't address the removal,
Sorry, not Academy reply, they've ignored me. Reply was from Daniel defense thanking me for the support. (what I get for reading quickly)
Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Handloader109; June 17, 2016 at 08:31 PM.
Old June 17, 2016, 03:25 PM   #5
Kiln

Where did you write them? They had more contact info on their site not long ago but it's missing now.
Old June 17, 2016, 03:27 PM   #6
Ryanxia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiln View Post
Where did you write them? They had more contact info on their site not long ago but it's missing now.
https://academy.custhelp.com/app/ask

www.odb.org
Old June 17, 2016, 03:45 PM   #7
Elkins45

Maybe you would be haplier if they didn't sell guns at all? Then the golf and tennis crowd would have even less of a perception of guns as "sporting goods"'instead of "weapons of mass destruction."

They hid SOME guns, but it could have been much worse. They could have replaced all their guns with tennis skirts and beach wear. If you want to boycott someone may I suggest someone who doesn't sell guns at all--perhaps Target or Kmart.

Just because a handful of people on the Internet share an opinion doesn't prove it is correct.
Old June 17, 2016, 06:05 PM   #8
hdwhit

By all means register your protest with Academy for their knee-jerk reaction to the terrorism in Orlando, but remember to be polite and remind them that you are a loyal customer.

I suspect that once the hysteria blows over in a couple of months, the ARs will quietly make their way back onto Academy's shelves if we don't make ourselves sound irrational and vindictive.
Old June 17, 2016, 06:13 PM   #9
Havok7416
Contributing Member

According to the article, they seem to have merely pulled guns off the displays until the heat dies down. The guns are still available, you just have to ask.
Engine #1 is no longer turning and engine #2 is no longer on fire!
Old June 17, 2016, 08:34 PM   #10
Handloader109

In my opinion, hiding the guns is as bad as as not carrying them and Daniel defense seems to agree. And the record keeping of high volume ammo purchase is more disturbing. No, I'll go to Walmart, cabelas or bass pro if I want to buy from big box. And Lgs for most.... They can go the way of sports authority in my opinion. (out of business)
Old June 17, 2016, 09:27 PM   #11
Apachedriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handloader109 View Post
In my opinion, hiding the guns is as bad as as not carrying them and Daniel defense seems to agree. And the record keeping of high volume ammo purchase is more disturbing. No, I'll go to Walmart, cabelas or bass pro if I want to buy from big box. And Lgs for most.... They can go the way of sports authority in my opinion. (out of business)
Guess I better tell you that Walmart quit selling modern sporting rifles (with a tactical appearance) last year.

As reported by USA Today last August:

Quote:
Walmart said that it is in the process of pulling modern sporting rifles such as the AR-15 from stores this week, instead focusing more on selling other sports and hunting firearms.

The decision is related purely to lack of customer demand, says Walmart spokesman Kory Lundberg, not the spate of shootings that have occurred in the past year, including one Wednesday in which two TV journalists were killed during a live interview near Roanoke, Va. Lundberg says the decision was made earlier this year.
Old June 17, 2016, 09:29 PM   #12
bullseye308

My local academy still has the shelves full of evil black, purple, camo, and pink rifles. They won't pull them they say.
Old June 19, 2016, 10:05 AM   #13
HankB

Don't know about the store displays locally, but for what it's worth, today's Academy sales flyer advertises three different MSRs/EMRs for sale.