Quantcast
New (to me) Colt! - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Handguns: Revolvers

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old August 20, 2016, 04:12 PM   #1
Bama Drifter

New (to me) Colt!

Heading out to pick up my newest pony gun. Got a SAA .45 blue, 5.5 inch waiting at Retting's in Culver City. It has the NRA coin, wood box and 1971 NRA Centennial engraving on the bbl. This will satisfy my single action needs for quite a while!

Sent from my HUAWEI G620-A2 using Tapatalk
...twenty or thirty years from now there will be a lot of 2012-2015 era 22LR available at estate auctions. Scalpers are hanging on by the skin of their teeth - they know the bottom is about to fall out, but they're hoping some panic will hit so they can unload what they're sitting on.
Old August 20, 2016, 05:52 PM   #2
Bama Drifter

IMG_20160820_141200.jpgIMG_20160820_141302.jpg

...twenty or thirty years from now there will be a lot of 2012-2015 era 22LR available at estate auctions. Scalpers are hanging on by the skin of their teeth - they know the bottom is about to fall out, but they're hoping some panic will hit so they can unload what they're sitting on.
Old August 20, 2016, 07:26 PM   #3
Bama Drifter

Unfired 45 year old collectible. Would you keep it as is with no carbon rings or skin this smoke wagon? Really bought to use not be a safe queen...

Old August 20, 2016, 08:26 PM   #4
ljnowell

Very nice! I would probably keep it unfired, but then again, I wouldn't have bought it because of that.
Old August 20, 2016, 11:18 PM   #5
Gordon

2nd gen unfired , cased ? I would keep as is and sell when I needed the $ .
Though we never leave dry land,
All the goblins, I've forgot 'em,
I buried them in the sand
So give me two 1911s,
one for each hand.
Old August 21, 2016, 01:23 AM   #6
WestKentucky

It's a shame for such a fine gun not to get any excercise, but I know the way these guns work. If you want to shoot a good SAA you buy a Uberti, if you want to own a piece of history you buy a first gen cherry SAA. If you want to scratch your head and play the "would you rather" game you buy recent production colts and frustrate yourself on deciding what should be done with them. This one would be a safe queen simply because it's unfired if it had a brass ring on the frame I would keep that ring freshly polished with recycled brass.
Spellchecker and autocorrect is ran by anti-gun people who think that a "hi-point" should be "hip ointment" and a "parabellum" is a "parable lump" and so forth. Please excuse idiotic things that the electronics think I said that I never said. http://www.damnyouautocorrect.com/
Old August 21, 2016, 07:16 AM   #7
bannockburn

Bama Drifter

Quote:
Got a SAA .45 blue, 5.5 inch waiting at Retting's in Culver City. It has the NRA coin, wood box and 1971 NRA Centennial engraving on the bbl. This will satisfy my single action needs for quite a while!
I should think so! Beautiful Colt but if you're going to put it away as an investment you're going to need another one for a shooter!
Old August 21, 2016, 09:29 AM   #8
Bama Drifter

Well that's my conundrum. I got a 90% well used version of early 2nd Gen (1956 product) in Tulsa last fall and don't want to wear it out. Also have some pre-ban ivory in the safe from last Christmas. If I put those grips on this revolver it would make a swell BBQ gun!

Old August 21, 2016, 09:36 AM   #9
Bama Drifter

Follow up question... can you use Flitz paste on blued steel cylinders to keep it in "as new" condition? I know how much to use on nickel finish.... and I know the protocol for avoiding a turn line. Driftwood or Old Fuff awake? Thanks.
Old August 21, 2016, 11:01 AM   #10
bannockburn

Bama Drifter

I have used Flitz on blued guns but only those that were "cosmetically challenged" to begin with; that is they really could benefit from a good surface clean-up. Personally if that gun were mine I would not use any cleaning/polishing agents on it. I would use Renaissance Wax to preserve the finish.
Old August 21, 2016, 11:26 AM   #11
CraigC
Contributing Member

Beautiful Colt and I'd shoot the snot out of it! Most of those commemoratives don't appreciate much anyway. I've got the Winchester 94 from the same "set" and it's one of my favorite hunting rifles. Of course, it cost a lot less than the Colt.
http://www.sixgunner.org
Old August 21, 2016, 12:00 PM   #12
Bama Drifter

CraigC
Thanks for your input. I was thinking that as I'm an NRA Life member, there's no chance of it being sold before I'm worm food. At that point, my girls can do whatever.

Any ideas on Flitz paste fellas?

Last edited by Bama Drifter; August 21, 2016 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old August 21, 2016, 12:41 PM   #13
Arkansas Paul

Quote:
This will satisfy my single action needs for quite a while!
Quote:
Would you keep it as is with no carbon rings or skin this smoke wagon?
Well, I guess the question is, will taking it out and looking at it every now and then satisfy your single action needs?
If so, then keep it in the box.
If not, "Skin that smokewagon and see what happens," (In my best Kurt Russell voice).

Personally, I wouldn't drop that kind of $ on a gun I wasn't going to enjoy to the fullest.
But that is just me. I certainly don't begrudge anyone who buys a nice unfired firearm and keeps it that way.

It is a personal choice and either one you make is the right one.

Congrats on the beautiful six-gun. I'm very jealous.

Accuracy and wishful thinking won't make up for poor bullet/load selection. - Craig C
Old August 21, 2016, 12:44 PM   #14
CraigC
Contributing Member

I don't know for a fact that it would be a problem but I wouldn't use Flitz on a blued gun. I keep a 1lb coffee can full of Hoppe's #9 for when my cylinders get crudded up with stuff that doesn't wipe off. Soak a cylinder for a couple days and it comes out good as new.
Old August 21, 2016, 03:46 PM   #15
bannockburn

Arkansas Paul

Quote:
If not, "Skin that smokewagon and see what happens," (In my best Kurt Russell voice).
I also liked: "Your friends may get me in a rush but not before I turn your head into a canoe!"

Now that's a classic firearms related movie line if there ever was one!
Old August 21, 2016, 11:48 PM   #16
jstert

i got a hardly used ruger 4.5" 45lc off g.b. a year ago. when i find good deals (~$20/box) i accumulate misc. cowboy load and hornady 185gr defense ammo for it and a bond arms derringer. untactical so as to not annoy the gun commissars where i live, 45lc speaks to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old August 23, 2016, 11:33 AM   #17
Arkansas Paul

Quote:
Now that's a classic firearms related movie line if there ever was one!
Yep. A lot of cool six-guns in that one. Mostly Colts but a few other cool ones as well.

Kate holds the bartender at gunpoint with a Webley Bulldog when he reaches for a gun under the bar.
Wyatt uses a Colt 1878 double action to hold the crowd at bay after Curly Bill shoots Marshal Fred White. Don't see that one very often.
Virgil uses a nickel plated Smith and Wesson.

Lots of cool stuff other than the standard SAA stuff you see in movies.
I love the SAAs but you'd think that's all that was made watching most westerns.

Accuracy and wishful thinking won't make up for poor bullet/load selection. - Craig C
Old August 23, 2016, 01:50 PM   #18
CraigC
Contributing Member

They spent a long time accumulating guns and spares for that movie. Peter Sherayko wrote a book about it. He was the armorer on the set and also played Texas Jack.
Old August 24, 2016, 12:18 PM   #19
Bama Drifter

favorite Tombstone moments...

Has to be the pinnacle of Val Kilmer's career, too. He portrays the Georgia dentist as well as anyone I can imagine. I grin every time it gets to the bit where he spins his pewter cup (mockingly) then suggests a spelling contest. Classic!
Old August 24, 2016, 12:25 PM   #20
CraigC
Contributing Member

His portrayal of Doc was definitely one of the most memorable roles in movie history. I love the spelling contest bit as well as his first scene where he told Ed (Frank Stallone) that if he thought he wasn't his friend, he didn't think he could bear it.
Old August 24, 2016, 01:21 PM   #21
Arkansas Paul

Val Kilmer is a very skilled actor. He can do a lot of roles very well.
The Saint is one to watch where he showcases his ability to play different characters well.

OP, sorry we got off on this. lol
We just naturally went to western movies with a Colt SAA being the basis of the original discussion.

Old August 24, 2016, 04:22 PM   #22
CraigC
Contributing Member

Westerns are never far from thought.

I'll bring us back with a picture of my rendition of Johnny Ringo's rig.

Old August 24, 2016, 09:33 PM   #23
Bama Drifter

Hey Arkansas Paul, no worries. I was glad to see us talking westerns. Since CraigC posted that rig, I will share. My co-workers dubbed me "Johnny Ringo" at our shop. Suppose it's cause I'm the only Southerner at this place in SoCal. Not many Bama boys in the California gun business.

Old August 24, 2016, 11:02 PM   #24
Arkansas Paul

What part of Bama are you from?

I haven't always been an Arkansas boy.

I was born in Fairhope Alabama, down on the coast close to Mobile.

And CraigC, if I ever get this darn AR built, I've got a 7.5" Blackhawk that would look mighty fine in one of your holsters. I'm thinking maybe a Cheyenne Mexican Loop.

Old August 25, 2016, 10:59 AM   #25
Speedo66

I've read somewhere that one of the Colt commemoratives had a cast rather than forged frame.

Anybody know which one it was?