Quantcast
Colt Python NIB - Clean or No? - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Handguns: Revolvers

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old August 26, 2015, 06:24 PM   #1
doc540

Colt Python NIB - Clean or No?

Bought this today.

After taking it from the plastic bag, it appears to have some kind of oil/protectant on it, like "cosmoline light".

Difficult for me to keep from wiping it down, but should I leave it "as is" from the factory?

I don't plan to shoot it.

What say the expert collectors here?

Thanks

Old August 26, 2015, 06:30 PM   #2
460Kodiak

I'm no expert, or great collector, but if you don't plan to shoot it, and just bought it as an investment, I'd through some oil on anywhere the protectant seems a bit thin, and put it in the safe. Unless the protectant is all dried up or something.

See and that's why I only collect antique guns, that I'd have a really hard time finding ammo for. I doubt I could resist shooting that.

Nice gun man.
My screen name is the result of testosterone driven jokes between friends, excessive laughter, and a bit of alcohol. I do not live in Alaska, and I've never been attacked by a bear, though, I have had bear encounters.
Old August 26, 2015, 06:32 PM   #3
doc540

Thanks

It's not very thick or sticky, more like a very light coat of some kind of oil that has gotten tacky over the years.
Old August 26, 2015, 07:59 PM   #4
matthewpittinger

Light cleaning should be fine, I'm not sure how this would affect the value long term. I would think anything that would help preserve the firearm would help.
Old August 26, 2015, 08:26 PM   #5
dcloco

Don't think I would touch this, at all.

Colt, of any snake model, prices have been going through the roof.
Old August 26, 2015, 08:29 PM   #6
Reloadron
Contributing Member

Quote:
Difficult for me to keep from wiping it down, but should I leave it "as is" from the factory?

I don't plan to shoot it.
Put the gun back in the protective plastic and leave it alone. I don't plan to shoot it pretty much spells out collect and unfired and investment. Don't even turn the cylinder if this is a safe queen investment. I have a 4" and a 6" the 6" with original box. However, both of my Pythons are like the rest of my guns in that they do get shot every now and then and all have been shot.

Ron
Old August 26, 2015, 08:50 PM   #7
jmorris

I agree with Ron, if your not going to shoot it don't open it or operate it in any fashion.
Old August 26, 2015, 08:55 PM   #8
CLP

Consider storing in a ZCorr bag
Old August 26, 2015, 09:07 PM   #9
243winxb

http://www.nramuseum.org/media/94096...vationinfo.pdf Collectors CLP was my first thought. Wax is used by the NRA. See link. From Colt http://www.coltautos.com/coltcare.htm

The Care and Cleaning of Collectible Colts

by Al De John, Superintendent, Custom Gun Shop, Colt Firearms Hartford, CT.

Last edited by 243winxb; August 26, 2015 at 10:04 PM. Reason: bobson has no clue
Old August 26, 2015, 09:36 PM   #10
Saw-Bones

Better sit down doc540:

An article in the September 2015 issue of "The American Rifleman" stated that due to the insane demand for Pythons, the going price is $18,000 !!! You read that right, $18,000 !!!

This news made my day... hope it makes yours... Doc
Old August 26, 2015, 09:43 PM   #11
Bobson

Another thread posted a bit earlier today says the value of a mint Python is now around $18k.

If there's even a chance that's accurate (and I have no clue if it is), I'd be calling up a firearm museum curator and getting his advice for properly storing your newly acquired NIB Python - not getting advice from a bunch of random people on a public forum. No offense to anyone here, but that's a lot of money to be risking on improper storage.

My first guess would be toward a thick grease or wax, rather than an oil based protectant.
"In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins." - 1 John 4:10
"You cannot slander human nature; it is worse than words can paint it." - Charles Spurgeon
Old August 26, 2015, 09:50 PM   #12
ColtPythonElite

I have more than one NIB Python. I have never cleaned them.
Old August 26, 2015, 10:24 PM   #13
243winxb

From above Colt link.- Remove factory protective coating with" lacquer thinner and a soft flannel cloth or a soft artist's brush". I agree. Some solvents may remove bluing with the factory coating.*I would not use any spray lubes. Use soft cotton patches & a Qtip to apply oil from a bottle.. Patch the bore as normally done.
Old August 26, 2015, 10:33 PM   #14
doc540

"I have more than one NIB Python. I have never cleaned them."

Since it's been effectively protected since 1982, I'm going to leave it "as is".

Thanks

(And I've properly cleaned many and finished them with Renaissance Wax. But not this one.)
Old August 26, 2015, 10:40 PM   #15
ColtPythonElite

My oldest NIB is 1974. A couple of times a year, I take it out and wipe it down with Eezox.
Old August 26, 2015, 10:59 PM   #16
243winxb

So doc, you basically just wanted to show us your new dust collector.
Old August 26, 2015, 11:04 PM   #17
doc540

This is a shooter

The NIB is an investment to finance other toys the wife doesn't know about.

gnome sayin'?
Old August 26, 2015, 11:42 PM   #18
Saw-Bones

Quote:
243winxb - “So doc, you basically just wanted to show us your new dust collector.”
Jealous?

If you had asked nicely I would have told you that I was expressing my joy in having lucked out in a happenstance and hopefully passing that joy onto other Python owners.

Truly sorry that you weren’t lucky in this regard, but hang in there because even a blind squirrel, like me, finds an acorn now and then.
Old August 27, 2015, 12:17 AM   #19
243winxb

Doc540, glad to see you have a shooter. We won't tell your wife.
Old August 27, 2015, 12:18 AM   #20
I6turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobson View Post
Another thread posted a bit earlier today says the value of a mint Python is now around $18k.

If there's even a chance that's accurate....
On this, the magazine article claimed that mint, original, 1950's, 6" barrel, high polished Royal Blue with matching numbers box and paperwork are selling in excess of $18K. Looking at GB history, it seems that perfect NIB Pythons from the 1970s or thereabouts are going closer to 1/4 of that figure, with super nice guns in the $2K range. So, I think a lot of people may get the the wrong idea when they read that "mint Pythons are now $18K."
Old August 27, 2015, 12:21 AM   #21
doc540

correct

I've been tracking the values of Pythons on GB which have actually sold.

And they ain't gettin' any cheaper, that's for sure.
Old August 27, 2015, 12:49 AM   #22
Saw-Bones

I6turbo - You won’t find any 1970s Pythons because Colt discontinued them in 1969. And the article didn’t mention just any mint python, but specifically a 1960, NIB, .357 Mag, 6” bbl with the Royal Blue finish, original box and paperwork.

Also important, it wasn’t just any magazine, it was in the American Rifleman and the author was S.P. Fjestad, the publisher of The Blue Book of Gun Values. The author and the magazine are usually held in high regard, unless you know something that I don’t.
Old August 27, 2015, 01:31 AM   #23
ColtPythonElite

What is this Pythons discontinued in 1969 business?
Old August 27, 2015, 01:46 AM   #24
Jim Watson

I'll make you a deal, you can have BOTH of mine for $18,000.
Well used but one is a Custom Shop super tune and the other was set up by a major gunsmith of a bygone day.
Old August 27, 2015, 02:07 AM   #25
Bobson

^ Mighty generous of you, Jim. Then again, I've got no clue, which evidently warrants an edit.
"In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins." - 1 John 4:10
"You cannot slander human nature; it is worse than words can paint it." - Charles Spurgeon