Quantcast
What are the S&W Model 29 Going for Now? - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Handguns: Revolvers

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old August 22, 2014, 07:00 AM   #1
Nalapombu

What are the S&W Model 29 Going for Now?

Hey all,

I saw a couple Model 29 pistols in a local shop the other day. One was a 6 inch and the other a 4 inch, both in blue. They had both of them priced near $1,000. I would say they were in 90% condition!!

It's been a while since I bought handguns, but I didn't think it had been THAT long. What would you say one could expect to pay for either a 4 or 6 inch Model 29 in Blue if you don't a lot of shopping around? What about one that wasn't in such good shape and had finish wear and showed obvious signs of use, was sound mechanically and needed no work on that aspect, but the finish, sights and grips were rough and would need re-finishing?

Thanks

Nalajr
Old August 22, 2014, 07:18 AM   #2
45_auto

Were they pre-safety, or pinned barrel/recessed cylinder Model 29's?

If they have any of the above characteristics they seem to have achieved "collector" status and corresponding prices.

You'll have a hard time finding a nice used one for less than $600-$700 around here.

One like you describe would probably still go in the $500 range.
Old August 22, 2014, 07:35 AM   #3
Ed Ames

I have seen no-dash 29s sell for over $2000. By the time they get a clinton lock they seem to be in the $500-$900 range depending on configuration.
Old August 22, 2014, 09:48 PM   #4
bigtubby

Just sold a shooter + grade 4" 29-2 with rubber grips for $700 shipped no box or extras
Old August 22, 2014, 10:37 PM   #5
jmr40

How about a 3" 629. It is not marked well, but I think it is -1?
Old August 23, 2014, 02:19 AM   #6
Twiki357

A lot of variance in price depending on geographic location, model, age, condition, etc. In my area, I was happy last year when I got a 4” 29-3 in 90%+ condition for $625 if that’s any help to you.
Old August 23, 2014, 09:59 AM   #7
nathan

They are getting really pricey. More collectable now than ever.
Old August 23, 2014, 10:55 AM   #8
pendennis

I traded in a Model 29-2, 4", nickel, that had been Magnaported, and I actually got a bit more money for it than a non-ported gun. Dealer said he would be able to turn it over in just a couple of days. (He did.) Usually, Magnaporting reduces the value of a revolver.

A lot of folks have bought Model 29's for the "Dirty Harry" factor. In the '70's, after "Dirty Harry" was released, they were scarce, but eventually people figured out they weren't fun to shoot, and the market really softened.

As others have stated, prices are all over the map. A Model 29-2, with a display case, can fetch around $1,200 if it's in 95%+ condition.
Old August 23, 2014, 12:04 PM   #9
highpower

Prices tend to be somewhat regional on firearms, but around here a decent 29-2 will easily fetch $800. Trouble is, a gun in 90% condition is too worn for it to be considered a collector piece.

I would say one in that condition should sell for $750 or a bit less. Do a search on Gunbroker for completed auctions on Model 29-2's that have actually sold. That should give you some idea of what buyers are willing to pay for one.
Old August 23, 2014, 02:16 PM   #10
Airman Basic

Bought a 629 no dash 4 inch back in the middle of the Obama madness for $600 off Gunbroker, no less. The newer beefed up models are bringing more, I think. Mine's a light load plinker, mostly.
Old August 23, 2014, 02:23 PM   #11
Jaymo

I've never noticed an N frame .44 mag being more uncomfortable to shoot than a K frame .357.
Old August 23, 2014, 11:12 PM   #12
DonP

Just bought a 29-3 for $600 last week

Illinois, Chicago south suburbs.

6" barrel, very little wear on the bluing. Original S&W grips, serial number puts it in '80's.

It was in the used rack at a Gander Mountain. It was in the bottom of the case, in the back row with the gun laying on the price tag. I had to chase down a sales person twice to show it to me.

(That's usually a sign one of the guys there wants to buy it or hold it for a friend.)

No box or S&W paperwork, but you can buy a display case from S&W if you really want one.

Ronald Reagan, 1975
Old August 24, 2014, 12:58 AM   #13
Cee Zee

I look at the 629's in the gun shops I go into because I want to see how much my investment would pay off if I sold my 629-2. Generally one in the condition mine is in (VG) is priced around $900-$1000 in my area. A lot of the reason for the increase is the state of Ohio just started letting people hunt deer with them. Basically I could double my money on what I bought about 3 years ago. I paid $400 for mine back then. I figure that's the actual selling price at the LGS's I go to after haggling. Maybe they do bring more than that. I don't know. I've seen them priced as high as $1100. My problem is I don't want to sell mine. I bought an expensive holster for it for one thing and nobody ever wants to pay a fair price for a good used holster. And it would be pretty useless for me without another long barrel, large frame revolver to put in it. Besides it makes a great gun for walking in black bear country which is pretty much everywhere back home these days.
Old August 25, 2014, 03:53 PM   #14
PapaG

I have an offer on my 29-2 6" of $800 and it isn't enough.
Old August 25, 2014, 04:10 PM   #15
Sunray

MSRP is $999 for the 4". $1,169 for a 6". Both blued. Listed on Smith's site under Classic Revolvers.
Old August 25, 2014, 08:09 PM   #16
eastbank

this one was made in 1973 and i don,t know what its worth, but it don,t matter any way as its not going to be sold, but given to my son.the original wooden grips are packed away. eastbank.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 4358.jpg (106.3 KB, 6 views)