Quantcast
Looking for a DA 45acp to do this - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Handguns: Revolvers

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old July 24, 2014, 02:45 PM   #1
chiltech500

Looking for a DA 45acp to do this

I am new to revolvers, my Ruger NMBH single action 45 convertible with a 4 5/8 barrel is really my 1st. I tried a S&W 686 when I was new to shooting and didn't like it.

Without spending a fortune, I wonder what options there are for a double action 45 acp with a 6" barrel.

Accuracy desired is comparable to this result from my Blackhawk 45 (I surprised myself as my usual result is inconsistent), but shows the gun's potential

Last edited by chiltech500; July 25, 2014 at 08:55 AM.
Old July 24, 2014, 02:48 PM   #2
chiltech500

Having challenge posting pic from Photobucket. Usually when selecting the "IMG" and copying the pasting via our pic icon the iage gets pasted.

Not so somehow this time?
Old July 24, 2014, 08:20 PM   #3
Malamute

Try only using the photobucket IMG code, don't do anything else.

"...always endeavour to raise your own standards."
Arfin Greebly

Isn't it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Old July 24, 2014, 08:26 PM   #4
rcmodel

Be sure and delete the http:// that popes up when you open the photo insert icone to.

Then just past the Photobucket direct link in the blank space.

If you leave the http:// in the box, the direct link won't work.

rc
Old July 24, 2014, 08:42 PM   #5
Malamute

Box? What box?

Ignore the insert image stuff, just paste the photobucket IMG code into the body of the message, no need to do anything else, and no need to use any of the tools on the top of the text area.

Arfin Greebly

Old July 24, 2014, 08:48 PM   #6
rcmodel

See the little yellow icon with the mountains and moon above where you type?

Place your curser where you want the photo in your post.
Then click the little yellow photo icon.

Another box will open in your post.
Then delete the http://, and paste the direct Photobucket link in it and click OK.

You can then go to 'Advanced' & Preview post at the bottom right of the text window and see if it worked before posting.

rc
Old July 24, 2014, 08:49 PM   #7
Malamute

Yes, I figured out what the box was. To insert photobucket images you don't need that at all, just paste the IMG code into the message and it shows. Don't do anything with the insert image thing, its completely unnecessary for photobucket images.

Arfin Greebly

Old July 24, 2014, 10:27 PM   #8
hso

There ya go.

TheHighRoad exists to provide a higher grade of discussion than is found on some other gun forums so antis and undecideds can see that gun owners and RKBA advocates are not the reckless misanthropes they tell everyone we are. Personal attacks, group stereotyping, macho chest-thumping, and partisan hackery are low road and hurt all of us.
Old July 24, 2014, 10:43 PM   #9
Malamute

Nice group, what distance?

I've had a couple of the Smith & Wesson 1955 Target and they generally shoot extremely well. I think they may be a bit pricey today though. the later stainless gun was available with a 6" barrel I think, (maybe just a 4 and 5"?). I'd guess they will shoot very well also. Under 2" at 25 yards, if not better with good ammo. I think the 1955's would do 1 1/2" @ 50 yards with match ammo.

Arfin Greebly

Old July 24, 2014, 10:48 PM   #10
zerobarrier
Contributing Member

What distance are you shooting from? Is that a 3" circle for the bullseye. My Taurus 455 will have a group like that at 15yds, but it is a 4" barrel. They don't make them anymore though so you have to find a used one, probably around $500. I never tried grouping farther the 15yds, I usually shot steel only with pistols. If you are shooting farther I can always step out back and shoot a target at whatever distance you want then post a pic of the target.
Old July 25, 2014, 12:22 AM   #11
Drail

I was just going to say that posting nice targets without specifying the range they were shot is kind of.....worthless. But that is a nice group. I guess. FWIW it's worth I have a 1988 Model 625 that will place 6 rounds into a 3/4" hole at 15 yards. It did it when new in 1988 and it will still do it today (if I'm up to it). And it will never be for sale.
Old July 25, 2014, 07:30 AM   #12
StrawHat

Currently, the only option for a new DA 45 ACP revolver is from S&W. Used guns, mostly S&W, can also be found. I have a Model 25-2 that was my competition revolver for quite a few years.

If you are willing to consider other barrel lengths, they can be found in 3", 4", 5", 6", 6 1/2" and I believe 8 3/8".

I don't know all the answers but I have made most of the mistakes and lived to tell about them.

www.NoonSharpening.com
Old July 25, 2014, 09:08 AM   #13
chiltech500

Thanks guys for illuminating me on the photos I think I was having senior moments yesterday because I have posted many images before. I suspect RC was righ in that when I pasted into the box I didn't delete the http.

Good tip Malamute to bypass that little box, seems redundant.

Distance was 25 yards and that circle is 2 inches.

Sorry for not posting the distance, I thought it was written on the plate that day. I always shoot at 25 yards; only less when practicing defensive shooting which I rarely practice anyway. Practicing for Bullseye with revolvers - can't use the NMBH for competitions because its SAO, thus my search for DA 45acp's. I always use 200gr LSWC for my 45's.

I know S&W makes a 45acp currently but it's only a 4" barrel and it's rumored to have cylinder sizing issues like the NMBH. I suspected it would be necessary to find an older target gun and pay more, was just hoping somebody knew something I didn't.

I have been de-leading the NMBH barrel every 3 cylinders or so - which may not be necessary after recently widening the crimp (these shots were wider crimp). That's a different thread for a different day
Old July 25, 2014, 09:32 AM   #14
Drail

Very nice 25 yd. group sir.
Old July 25, 2014, 10:35 AM   #15
Malamute

Yes, that is a nice 25 yard group.

The "insert image" has a purpose I'm sure, but the IMG code from photobucket doesn't require it.

I'd suggest a Smith 25-2, otherwise known as the 1955 Target. I don't know what they go for these days, but I'm sure that even one with less than perfect finish would still shoot extremely well.

I'm curious about your leading problem. I've not used any commercial cast bullets that leaded that badly. The soft swaged bullets can lead. I used some Remington swaged 38 bullets in the early 80's that had a black dry lube on them, they leaded badly in everything we shot them in.

Arfin Greebly

Old July 25, 2014, 10:47 AM   #16
Saleen322

625 s&w

This was shot @ 25 yards with my 625 Smith. It has a 5" barrel which at the time was the standard length. It was my PPC gun back in the day and always shot well. YMMV

Old July 25, 2014, 10:47 AM   #17
MrBorland

Does it have to be a 6" .45acp?

The 625 came in 5", and now that USPSA has allowed the 8-shot 627 to play, I suspect you'd be able to find some good deals on used and tuned 5" 625s.
Old July 25, 2014, 10:50 AM   #18
Saleen322

Quote:
Does it have to be a 6" .45acp?

The 625 came in 5", and now that USPSA has allowed the 8-shot 627 to play, I suspect you'd be able to find some good deals on used and tuned 5" 625s.
Great minds think alike!
Old July 25, 2014, 11:38 AM   #19
chiltech500

Nice shooting Saleen. I wish I could always shoot like that target, in fact I was so surprised at my shooting that I wrotete on the plate "me not the rest".

No it doesn't really have to be a 6", I was just thinking a little longer = a little better. I'm bidding on a S&W 14-4 38sp with a 6" barrel right now, these are supposed to be an accurate gun as well.

ASs to the leading, it's not terrible, collects mostly at the breach and a little onto the rifling. I am not 100% sure if it's lead or lube but a brass brush, some CLP and a swab won't get it off (not a lot of effort used with these because I know my copper strand wrapped brush will get it off pronto).

Others have told me before I bought this used NMBH that their cylinders and forcing cone are oversized and should be reamed and that accuracy improves - probably decreased leading too. I use MBC 200 gr and for that group Green Dot. I am sitting on Red Dot and even faster VV N310 for potential match use.
Old July 25, 2014, 04:21 PM   #20
chiltech500

I bought a 25-2 6" barrel on GunBroker after checking values a bit on the S&W forum.

I bought this to shoot it not to set in my cabinet to look at.

Thanks gents S# 900299 if anyone knows about years made it would be nice to know.
Old July 25, 2014, 04:34 PM   #21
Saleen322

You got a very good revolver there and I am sure you will be happy. Good luck and good shooting.
Old July 25, 2014, 04:43 PM   #22
rcmodel

Quote:
Thanks gents S# 900299 if anyone knows about years made it would be nice to know.
I don't think that can be the serial number.

S-series serial numbers ended in 1970 with S333454.

The 25-2 was made between 1961 and 1977.
But the N serial number prefix started in 1969.

Your gun serial # would have to be between S219999 and S329999.

Take the Target grips off and get the actual serial number off the grip frame.

rc
Old July 25, 2014, 07:25 PM   #23
Malamute

I wonder if hes using the "S" to indicate Serial number (S#), not realizing its a slight faux paux as S was part of the serial number for a while, and the N is in fact part of the number.

Try the number with an N in front of it.

I think you'll be very happy with the 25-2. I wish I'd kept one of the ones I had.

Arfin Greebly

Old July 25, 2014, 07:48 PM   #24
rcmodel

No, I don't think so.

The N prefix serials ended in 1986 at N97xxx in 1986.

The 25-2 ended in 1977.

I think he is using an assembly number from inside the crane cut.

rc
Old July 25, 2014, 11:00 PM   #25
GP100man

Wish I had my 625 4" barrel back !! it shot way better than I could .

Ransom rested it`d do 1" at 20yds anytime with most any decent reloads .

I sold it to fund a Remington 700 V in 7mm-08 & long range scope.

Rifle was too heavy to hunt with , benched it out the back of a pick up to shoot deer off of beans a bit , but eventually traded for a wonderful 700 BDL in 06.

BUT still look at the 06 & wish I`d never traded that revolver , reloads were a hoot with the moon clips!!!