Quantcast
Dan Wesson Revolvers question - need info - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Handguns: Revolvers

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old July 20, 2015, 02:51 PM   #1
anothernewb

Dan Wesson Revolvers question - need info

Anyone care to share any information about them? One came in to the LGS and I'm curious about them.

the one in question is a 6" in 357.

My experience with my DW 1911 has me thinking - if they follow suit - they should be nice.
Old July 20, 2015, 03:20 PM   #2
9mmepiphany

Quote:
My experience with my DW 1911 has me thinking - if they follow suit - they should be nice.
I found this slightly amusing, as the revolvers predate the 1911s.

The DW revolvers...assuming the ones manufactured prior to CZ buying the company...were outstanding and included cutting edge innovations.

They were known for their outstanding accuracy due to their lockup at the rear of the barrel and their tensioned (both ends) barrel.

The actions are a bit more complicated to work on than a S&W, but they do tune up very well

Correct Grip
DA Trigger Management
How to Dryfire and Hit Stuff

Forum Rules
Old July 20, 2015, 03:32 PM   #3
zoom6zoom

Fabulous revolvers, i have two with the multi barrel kits. There is a forum dedicated to them.
Old July 20, 2015, 05:23 PM   #4
RUT

Here's mine.... a Model 715 (stainless) w/ 4" barrel. I also have the 6" tube as well.

Old July 20, 2015, 06:18 PM   #5
Ron James

The new Dan Wesson revolvers ( the 715 ) are made by CZ. They do seem to be quite nice and follow the concept of interchangeable barrels and grips
Old July 20, 2015, 08:04 PM   #6
REB

CZ also still makes replacement parts and services the older revolvers
Old July 20, 2015, 09:39 PM   #7
BobWright

As I recall, there was a period during their manufacture when quality control slipped and those produced were a crap shoot when bought. Don't know the range, or even if that's a true statement.

My sons-in-law have had both the .357 Magnums in blue, and the .44 Magnum in stainless. The .44 Magnum is one tough hombre. And, as has been noted, accuracy is about as good as it gets from these.

One son-in-law experience a problem with his. A side plate screw came out during firing and allowed the side plate to loosen, This allowed the hand to fail to drive the cylinder into lock-up and fired out of register, splitting the barrel liner. DW repaired the gun at no charge.

Bob Wright
Old July 20, 2015, 09:54 PM   #8
bikemutt
Contributing Member

The older DW revolvers are exceptional IMO. CZ probably bought the business for the 1911 line, or brand. The new 715 is one I've handled, no thanks.
There are no "good guns". There are no "bad guns". Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a decent person is no threat to anybody — except bad people. - Charlton Heston 1997
Old July 20, 2015, 10:01 PM   #9
Rodentman

I have a recent 715 with 3 barrels. I find the gun to be smooth, accurate and well made. OTOH I never saw a pre CZ DW but I am happy with the one I have.

Member NRA
Old July 21, 2015, 08:09 AM   #10
bannockburn

Had an original Pistol Pac years ago and found the design, performance, and overall quality of the gun to be amazing.
Old July 21, 2015, 10:08 AM   #11
wrdwrght

The accuracy and durability of the Monson-built Model 15 is a secret that a few in the know are not keeping anymore. I have a 15-2 with 2.5, 4, and 6 inch barrels, along with a variety of grips, that could easily serve as my only firearm, were I so inclined.

Last edited by wrdwrght; July 21, 2015 at 10:14 AM.
Old July 21, 2015, 10:14 AM   #12
CraigC
Contributing Member

The older Dan Wessons were "usually" good but I've handled some that weren't. I'll probably buy the next .445 that I see that's in good shape for a fair price.

"Wise men learn by others’ harms; fools by their own." - Benjamin Franklin

http://www.sixgunleather.com
Old July 21, 2015, 10:41 AM   #13
stoky

my 15v

My enthusiasm for .357s in a 2" bbl having pretty much waned, it's been wearing the 6" for the past few years. It's been a great revolver. very accurate
Old July 21, 2015, 12:31 PM   #14
anothernewb

^ that's awfully similar to the one in the shop - save for it has a wood grip.
Old July 21, 2015, 08:37 PM   #15
Steve CT

I've owned about a dozen DW revolvers over the years, .22/.357/.44/.445. Finally settled down to just 3:

Actually, I have one more stainless 715 that I'm slowly doing a high polish on.
Old July 21, 2015, 10:14 PM   #16
C5rider

Word is getting out about these beauties. Luckily, I found these before the word got out too much.

This is my DW Model 14 (non-adjustable sight)

this is my Model 15 (adjustable sight)

I also have a DW .22 (with the 4-inch and 2.5 inch barrels). It's seen some use, but works well.

I recently picked up a Model 715 (stainless version with adjustable sights)

I like 'em, but as some have mentioned, they are good, but different. The shorter action takes some getting used to and finding the cylinder latch (in front of the cylinder) adds to the gun's accuracy, but it also takes some getting used to being up there. They are heavier built than say, a S&W, and probably a nice in-between from a Ruger and a J-frame Smith. Just my .02.
Old July 21, 2015, 10:43 PM   #17
iagbarrb

I own a DW .357 interchangeable barrel.
This is an amazing revolver. Very accurate. I shoot a lot with it. Reliable and nice. I also have a python 6 inch.
I prefere the DW to the colt for competition shooting.
Old July 22, 2015, 09:24 AM   #18
anothernewb

looks like i should pick it up then. Thanks for the info.
Old July 22, 2015, 09:54 AM   #19
80Goat

Dan Wesson Arms has gone through several owners in its lifetime. Some have produced outstanding firearms. Some cobbled together left over parts. CZ has started producing new Dan Wesson revolvers.

Check the fit and finish. If it is a Monson produced gun, I would not hesitate to purchase the gun if it is at a reasonable price.

I have owned several and still have a 22 and 357. Here are a couple of 25 yard targets with 357 magnum ammo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 715.jpg (69.9 KB, 17 views)
Old July 22, 2015, 01:04 PM   #20
anothernewb

It is a Monson one. lgs wants 550 for it. bluing looks good and is used but not abused.
Old July 23, 2015, 10:57 AM   #21
wrdwrght

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothernewb View Post
It is a Monson one. lgs wants 550 for it. bluing looks good and is used but not abused.
That price for a good Dan seems about right in today's market. But, as you seem new to revolvers, I suggest you first go to the Dan Wesson Forum and look at its checklist for evaluating a used Dan.
Old July 23, 2015, 11:30 AM   #22
CraigC
Contributing Member

I might have to get in line for a new one if they start making something bigger than the .357.

"Wise men learn by others’ harms; fools by their own." - Benjamin Franklin

http://www.sixgunleather.com
Old July 24, 2015, 09:59 AM   #23
Rollie

The one

I have 2 1/2" and 6" barrels for my 357. The 2 1/2" is surprisingly accurate, and of course the 6" is also, as would be expected. It is the one I would keep if I had to get rid of the other 8 handguns I own.
Old July 24, 2015, 01:09 PM   #24
robhof

robhof

I've owned DW's since 1970 and they break down like this: original gun was made in Monson, the best, first guns are always the best to promote the brand and quality was high, the company closed and was bought and reopened in Palmer Mas. and using the same machinery from the original factory, now old and worn, the quality was lacking some, quality control also suffered, some Palmer guns are very good, not as good as the Monsons, the last incarnation is Norwich NY and all new CNC machines, great quality, bought by CZ and priority placed on the autos which were selling well, they reintroduced a limited run of the revolver, much higher price and limited market.
Old July 24, 2015, 07:43 PM   #25
exbrit49

Love my DW 15-2 6"

Picked mine up just before things went crazy, it was at my LGS and I managed to get it for $350. It was in great condition and it shoots exceptionally well, it is as accurate as my SW model 19.
It feels just a little heavier than the 19 but with the standard grips, it is a very comfortable .357 to shoot. It is one of those revolvers that it feels instinctive to shoot. It comes up in target especially fast and is usually right on the mark. In fact it might even be a little better than the 19 It isn't quite as pretty as the SW but these are an exceptionally well built revolver and mine gets a good workout about every couple months, usually a minimum of 100 rounds per session. so if you have chance to grab the DW go get it! You wont regret it.