Quantcast
Should I keep this 44 Special? - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Handguns: Revolvers

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old September 6, 2014, 08:27 PM   #1
Arizonan

Should I keep this 44 Special?

I have a 1993 Taurus 431 in 44 Special. It is blued, 3in barrel. I have owned it since new. I have shot 200 rounds through it. It looks like brand new. I have a sweet Rossi 720 I carry as my ccw.
I am toying with selling it and using that $$$ to get a S&W M&P Shield 9mm.
I roll my own in 44, so that isn't an issue. But I don't shoot it. Has not been shot in years.
Should I put it out for sale? I am really torn on this. I like the gun a lot, but I have the itch to get the S&W. Help me decide.
Old September 6, 2014, 08:44 PM   #2
gazpacho

You will always loose money, selling or trading to a dealer.

You might break even on a private trade or sale, but make receipts, just in case it ends up being used in a crime, and gets traced back to you.

My advice . . . Keep it in a holster, and tuck it in your nightstand. A 44 Special close at hand, when something goes bump on the night is cheap insurance. Your carry gun might still be in your pants, laying on the floor on the other side of the room. Other guns might be locked in a safe.

Wake up >> Roll over >> Open a drawer >> Grab your gun.

This is really easy to do, when you are still waking up.

If you are worried about firearm security, get a GunVault (brand name). I can access mine inside of 2 seconds.
Old September 6, 2014, 08:55 PM   #3
GBExpat
Contributing Member

Location: Rural, far beyond the beltway, Northern Virginia, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizonan
I roll my own in 44, so that isn't an issue. But I don't shoot it. Has not been shot in years.
So shoot it, Silly.

I would have a very hard time selling a firearm that I liked a lot. Actually, it would probably have to be some sort of financial emergency to move me in that direction.

Unless you have a perceived immediate need for the S&W, if I were you I would start an M&P Shield Fund with the goal of having enough money saved within 6-8 months.
Old September 7, 2014, 12:23 AM   #4
joneb
Contributing Member

I would keep the 431, if you don't you'll wish you had. Been there done that.
Old September 7, 2014, 12:32 AM   #5
WestKentucky

Keep it. The shield is nothing to get excited over. In fact I would prefer a keltec. You have a nice revolver that you don't need to lose over a gun you will likely regret buying.
Old September 7, 2014, 12:33 AM   #6
bannockburn

I would also keep it. You can never have too many .44 Special revolvers.
Old September 7, 2014, 12:45 AM   #7
460Kodiak

Quote:
I am really torn on this. I like the gun a lot
You answered your own question. You'll end up regretting trading steel for plastic. Just save some money and buy a shield outright.

And that's coming from someone who would never buy a Taurus and owns multiple S&W guns. A good rule for aquiring plastic to only buy it outright or trade other plastic for it. Steel should only be traded for other steel.
Friend.... "You should be 460Kodiak....... yeah"
Me........ "Great...... now I have to grow a mullet."
Old September 7, 2014, 02:20 AM   #8
Twiki357

If you like it, keep it…. Or you will eventually regret selling it.
Old September 7, 2014, 04:39 AM   #9
Tactical Lever

Keep it; what you have there is just about the perfect ramblin', handle 99% of what you need it for, go anywhere type pistol.
Old September 7, 2014, 07:08 AM   #10
moxie

You say you like it, but for some reason have only put a few hundred rounds through it in about 20 years.
That doesn't sound like liking it much to me.

I'd sell it and get the Shield. Perfect carry gun you will want to shoot and reload for. Costs less to do so too.

U.S. Air Force Munitions, 1969-1992
Vietnam, 1972-1973
Old September 7, 2014, 08:05 AM   #11
tightgroup tiger

I've never regretted buying my 9mm Shield. The only problem I've found with it is trying to move the sights. OH LORD.

It's really accurate and shoots about anything I put through it. I can't say that for my PF-9.

I'm with most of the rest of them though, unless you don't like the recoil by which you can't shoot the 44 spl accurately, I wouldn't get rid of the 44 spl.

I read some excellent advise above, but ultimately, your the one that has to shoot it so you will have to do what your situation dictates.
Old September 7, 2014, 08:06 AM   #12
Nathanael_Greene

Keep it.
Old September 7, 2014, 09:32 AM   #13
RealGun

Sell anything you don't shoot, if not a real collector gun.

Now, I need to take my own advice.

Last edited by RealGun; September 7, 2014 at 09:39 AM.
Old September 7, 2014, 10:24 AM   #14
BSA1

I suggest you do research on the S&W Shield. There seem to be a lot of reports about the quality of them including the Texas Department of Public Safety.

http://www.texastribune.org/2014/04/...over-concerns/
Old September 7, 2014, 10:44 AM   #15
Arizonan

Took the ole 44 out and blasted away some rounds today. Yep. It isn't going anywhere. A self slap in the face has made me see my stupidity in thinking of letting it go. Its a keeper. And thank you fellow gunners on your wisdom and advice.
Old September 7, 2014, 11:30 AM   #16
HexHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSA1 View Post
I suggest you do research on the S&W Shield. There seem to be a lot of reports about the quality of them including the Texas Department of Public Safety.

http://www.texastribune.org/2014/04/...over-concerns/
That's a different gun.

"And a bayonet Sir! With some guts behind it!" (CS Bourne)
Old September 7, 2014, 04:05 PM   #17
P5 Guy

Is this Rossi your only 44SPL?
You say you haven't taken the gun on a range session in some time and you want to buy A S&W Shield.
Bundle the handloading tool you have for 44SPL and whatever unassembled supplies with the Rossi and sell it.
It is my opinion that not regularly shooting a firearm is firearms abuse. Move the poor thing off to someone that will give it proper loving care and exercise.
Old September 7, 2014, 05:00 PM   #18
Stephanie B

The older Tauruses ("Tauri"?) have a pretty good rep for quality. You should really hang unto it.
Old September 9, 2014, 02:21 PM   #19
Constrictor

Any time you find someone willing to buy a Taurus, sell it.
Old September 9, 2014, 03:31 PM   #20
blueskyjaunte

I had to laugh at that.

Still, good revolvers in .44 spl are getting harder and harder to find. I'd keep it if it hasn't given you any problems.

A Shield isn't hard to find, nor are its ilk (compact poly 9mm). You'll be able to pick one up any time you have a few extra hundred lying around.
Old September 9, 2014, 03:59 PM   #21
Vern Humphrey

Quote:
You will always loose money, selling or trading to a dealer.
As a famous gun writer said, "In three trades, I can turn a pair of cased Perazzi doubles into a Mossberg pump."
Old September 10, 2014, 04:58 AM   #22
BLU

In my life I've had some 'boy I wish I wouldn't have sold that' moments! I too have a .44 I don't shoot nearly enough but I tell myself the next pretty gun won't be the shooter this one is. That helps! Save up and buy the Shield. Once you hold that a few days you'll be glad you didn't sell a gun you like to buy one you might not! IMHO
Old September 11, 2014, 08:28 PM   #23
Jaymo

I sold my 431 in 1993, and have been kicking myself for the past 21 years.
Old September 11, 2014, 08:43 PM   #24
WestKentucky

I recently traded off a 405...for a m44 ...wish I had bought the 44 outright rather than giving up the most accurate snub I have ever handled. I could shoot bees off of clover flowers at 10 yards...and proved it multiple times with small wagers. Now I do similar stunts with the 44. To date the best shot was on a crow at about 200 yards. First shot hit low, second shot hit home. It was a 3 shot bet for 5 bucks.
Old September 11, 2014, 08:44 PM   #25
BullRunBear

Glad to hear you decided to keep it. Had one years ago and sold it for a reason I can't remember. DUMB! It was plenty accurate and very comfortable. It also was an excellent teaching tool for introducing newbies to center fire revolvers. It's rather heavy for CC but, as mentioned earlier, it is an ideal night stand gun.

BTW, I carry a 9mm Shield. It has been accurate and utterly reliable.

Jeff