Quantcast
.44 special factory defense loads - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Handguns: Revolvers

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old December 2, 2014, 07:37 PM   #1
Barry the Bear

.44 special factory defense loads

I cant find any .44 spl factory loads for ccw and home defense . Anyone got a link to any source ? Im not considering the winchester silvertips due to my own testing with them awhile back where performed poorly.
Old December 2, 2014, 07:49 PM   #2
calaverasslim

I started to carry the Hornady critical defense. I like the videos of their damage
Old December 2, 2014, 09:13 PM   #3
RugRev

Corbon 165 gr JHP:

http://www.corbon.com/corboncart/cor...hp/sd44s165-20
Old December 2, 2014, 09:41 PM   #4
9mmepiphany

CCI Blazer 200gr Gold Dot is excellent for accuracy and recoil recovery...I use it exclusively in my S&W M696

http://www.ammunitiondepot.com/CCI-B...mmo-p/3556.htm

Correct Grip
DA Trigger Management
How to Dryfire and Hit Stuff

Forum Rules
Old December 2, 2014, 09:49 PM   #5
BobWright

I have never found a .44 Special factory round I would rely upon for close social work.

Bob Wright
Old December 2, 2014, 09:58 PM   #6
moxie

Ditto on the Gold Dots. That's a very good price at ammunition depot.

U.S. Air Force Munitions, 1969-1992
Vietnam, 1972-1973
Old December 2, 2014, 10:02 PM   #7
Frank V

Try www.buffalobore.com they offer some pretty good ammo.
The Speer Gold Dot seems to be good ammo too.
Good luck let us know what you come up with.
Old December 3, 2014, 12:41 AM   #8
Barry the Bear

Anyone have any comparisons on the blazer gold dot vs the speer brand one? And bob not a single one matches what you would call adequate? Im trying to stay away from handloads for self defense while carrying.
Old December 3, 2014, 01:30 AM   #9
9mmepiphany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry the Bear View Post
Anyone have any comparisons on the blazer gold dot vs the speer brand one?
About half the price. $0.80 vs. $1.55 per round. The aluminum cases are a bit lighter

Correct Grip
DA Trigger Management
How to Dryfire and Hit Stuff

Forum Rules
Old December 3, 2014, 02:38 AM   #10
Lucky Derby

The Speer and Blazer Gold Dots are both good. Buffalo Bore has a couple of different ones. Been meaning to try their 190gr LSWCHP.
Quite honestly just about anything with with a .429 diameter at over 750fps or so will get the job done most of the time. Perhaps not the ideal load, but I'm not too picky when it comes to big bores.
Old December 3, 2014, 07:32 AM   #11
RealGun

All I find in stores, namely Cabela's of late, is Hornady with FTX bullets. As a reloader, I would rather have standard length cases. The Hornadys are shortened and lightened up to accommodate the FTX bullet.

We can't be too particular when we cannot find ANYTHING. I do watch my cost per shot, not that I shoot up much SD ammo, so I haven't done much with the boutique ammo guys. Underwood Ammo or Georgia Arms usually have something and typically work with XTPs, it seems.
Old December 3, 2014, 08:57 AM   #12
HexHead

I load my own. 200gr Nosler JHP, using their recommended load for the most accuracy.

"And a bayonet Sir! With some guts behind it!" (CS Bourne)
Old December 3, 2014, 12:13 PM   #13
ku4hx

I'm making do with Speer 200 grain Gold Dot but lately I've been testing Hornady's 200 grain XTP specifically designed for the .44 Special.

Specs for this bullet from Hornady claim reliable expansion from about 725fps to about 1,650fps. The chart of their bullet's reliability expansion ranges is not all that precise.

My load clocks at between 925-950fps and accuracy is very good which is typical for XTPs in my guns. Being I favor deep penetration, the XTP is a good fit for me.
Old December 3, 2014, 01:20 PM   #14
buckhorn_cortez

Quote:
I have never found a .44 Special factory round I would rely upon for close social work.
180 grain jacketed hollow point at 1,000 fps at close range isn't adequate? Really? Then .45 ACP and 9 mm wouldn't be acceptable either.

Hornady .44 Special 180 grain XTP. I use them in my .44 Special. If you're using them as protection against normal human beings, not grizzly bears, space aliens, etc. - they should work just fine.

Last edited by buckhorn_cortez; December 3, 2014 at 01:25 PM.
Old December 3, 2014, 04:11 PM   #15
Barry the Bear

Ive my choice and decided to try the 210 grain .44 magnum short barrel gold dot from speer. It doesnt seem to be a true mag load but also not a cowboy special load either, thanks for all the replies guys.
Old December 3, 2014, 04:37 PM   #16
DPris

Buffalo Bore offers several to cover just about any need you'd have in the caliber, from SD around town to bigger critters in the hills.

Expensive, but very dependable for serious uses.
Denis
Old December 3, 2014, 10:21 PM   #17
Taurus 617 CCW

Another vote for the 200 grain gold dots. Nastiest hollowpoint I have ever seen!
Old December 4, 2014, 04:35 AM   #18
Lucky Derby

Good choice Barry.
Old December 4, 2014, 10:56 AM   #19
Stainz

I think the Speer 200 gr .44 Special Gold Dot is #4427 (My reloading info is elsewhere!). In any case, it was designed to open up fully by 800fps and passed that mark easily in my 2.5" S&W 296 whether in Speer's brass case or Al-cased Blazers, GA Arms brass loads, or my homebrews over a mid-point load of Titegroup. They would all break 1,000 fps from my 20" Henry .44 Magnum 'Big Boy'. Incidentally, they were $12/50 as Blazers at Academy several years ago. I shot over 1k of them over the years from that 296 - until I had a hard to extract case in my 696 - it was split! I shot the rest of them in my 696 and then banned them here. It was easy to do - GA Arms got $25-$30/100 then for their loads - in fresh/new Starline brass. I still have some - for carry - I practice with my reloads. When woods-bumming, I pocket-carry the 296 with a first up 240gr LSWC (for 4-legged aggravators) followed by four 200gr Gold Dots (for 2-legged snakes). Check Georgia Arms.

Stainz
Old December 4, 2014, 11:07 AM   #20
RealGun

It seems kind of gloomy to name ammo that no one can find.
Old December 4, 2014, 05:46 PM   #21
rodinal220

SGammo has a few choices.

http://www.sgammo.com/catalog/pistol...ion/44-special
Old December 4, 2014, 10:20 PM   #22
BobWright

Quote:
Buckhorn_cortez said: 180 grain jacketed hollow point at 1,000 fps at close range isn't adequate? Really? Then .45 ACP and 9 mm wouldn't be acceptable either.

Hornady .44 Special 180 grain XTP. I use them in my .44 Special. If you're using them as protection against normal human beings, not grizzly bears, space aliens, etc. - they should work just fine.
I have always preferred a heavy bullet over the fast light ones for personal protection. I use the 240 gr. Remington Semi-Jacketed Hollow Point (SJHP) which has a very generous exposed soft lead nose. And you're right about the 9mm, but I do like the .45 ACP with the 230 gr. Flat Point, but since my gun is a Ruger Blackhawk, why bother?

Bob Wright
Old December 4, 2014, 11:14 PM   #23
dickydalton

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobWright View Post
I have always preferred a heavy bullet over the fast light ones for personal protection. I use the 240 gr. Remington Semi-Jacketed Hollow Point (SJHP) which has a very generous exposed soft lead nose. And you're right about the 9mm, but I do like the .45 ACP with the 230 gr. Flat Point, but since my gun is a Ruger Blackhawk, why bother?

Bob Wright
If that's the old Core-Loct that is what I still carry. Loaded to 850 FPS it expands nicely to 77 cal, loses no weight and penetrates deeper into clay than 44 mag Black Talons.
Old December 4, 2014, 11:44 PM   #24
ATAShooter

Buffalo Bore with a Barnes will do it.
https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...t_detail&p=306
Old December 4, 2014, 11:49 PM   #25
Barry the Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickydalton View Post
If that's the old Core-Loct that is what I still carry. Loaded to 850 FPS it expands nicely to 77 cal, loses no weight and penetrates deeper into clay than 44 mag Black Talons.
I searched for that load at first , since it was really well regarded , but appears to have been discontinued.