Quantcast
Any FTF using Moonclip? - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Handguns: Revolvers

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old March 30, 2015, 08:17 PM   #1
Robert B

Any FTF using Moonclip?

I have a 686 PC cut for moon clips. Just decided to use the clips for SD. This gun is carried lots and shot a little. Would you guys verify it fires ok with the S&W supplied clips before comitting to use them. Or, just start carrying without shooting the gun with them first? Anyone ever have a FTF using moon clips that aren't bent? Thx.
Old March 30, 2015, 08:22 PM   #2
Drail

Make sure the clips aren't bent and test them thoroughly in your gun. Look at the primers for a good indentation. Use quality moon clips. I use Ranch Products or Tom Kilhofer's clips. I have never had a single misfire with my older S&W revolvers when using clips but I have heard an awful lot of people complain of misfires with the newer S&Ws with frame mounted firing pins. ANY gun you intend to use for self defense needs to be test fired at least 200 rounds with NO failures before you trust it.
Old March 30, 2015, 08:25 PM   #3
Swing

The FTFs I had with moon clips were the plastic ones. I think the material "gave" a little when the hammer dropped. Never had a problem with metal ones.
Old March 30, 2015, 08:27 PM   #4
Drail

Forget about using plastic clips. They are not made to hold up. The steel ones will.
Old March 30, 2015, 08:30 PM   #5
C0untZer0

Only with Federal Aluminum ammo - and it was the ammo not the clips.

I loaded the same clips up with regular brass amd my 929 fired them just fine.
Old Yesterday, 08:25 AM   #6
moxie

Never any FTF.

You need to verify this yourself. We can't do it for you. It's prudent to fire your gun with each one of the moonclips you intend to carry, using the ammo you intend to carry, to prove the whole system works together. You also need to do that to verify point of aim. Are they hitting where you aim? Do the sights need adjustment?

U.S. Air Force Munitions, 1969-1992
Vietnam, 1972-1973
Old Yesterday, 09:18 AM   #7
Stainz

My Ranch Products blued steel moonclips, same as S&W supplied, have been faultless... especially after finding which brands of .38/.357M ammo cases load more easily. I have never handled, much less used a X6 or X7 .38/.357M for a 686-type revolver. I keep hundreds of X6 .45 ACP 'clips loaded with 230gr FMJ for my 625JM & Governor and 25+ X8 .38/.357M 'clips loaded with +P 158gr LHPSWC (defense) and another 50+ X8 'clips loaded with 125gr JHP mild .357M's as plinkers in my 627's. I've shot tens of thousands of rounds and the only hitch is you must allow gravity to assist you with X8 'clips loaded with eight spindly cartridges all at once - that is where one should spend their time... practice loading a moonclip! Of course, 230gr FMJ .45 ACPs will spoil you - they load as if they had a 'tractor beam'!

Stainz
Old Yesterday, 10:09 AM   #8
Combat Engineer

"Any FTF using Moonclip? " [Robert B]

You should shoot at least 3 or 4 cylinders to make sure they are working OK.

On the S&W M22-4s, they work perfectly. On the S&W M325 Night Guard was getting light strikes. After removing (and re-cutting) the firing pin, it is 100%.

Stainz you are right, shooting with 45 ACP moon-clips is heaven, not sure an auto-loader can do it faster.

Had they used these during WW1, (the 6-shot 45 ACP moon-clips) the war would have been over by Christmas.
Old Yesterday, 10:37 AM   #9
340PD

I have a 586 7-shot that will accept moonclips and I have found they work well but they seem to be a bit thinner than my 625 moonclips.

I find the longer length of the 38/.357 + the extra round over the .45, makes speed loading that gun a lot more troublesome. I rarely use them in that firearm.
Old Today, 11:29 AM   #10
Robert B

Shot my 686 with clips

Went bang every time. Thx for your responses.