Quantcast
ruger single 6 vs s&w model 17 masterpiece - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Handguns: Revolvers

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old May 22, 2015, 10:40 AM   #1
susieqz

ruger single 6 vs s&w model 17 masterpiece

hiya guys. i've been looking at single 6 n 7.
the s&w costs $400 more.
i'm just wondering if the smith is worth an extra $400, or is the extra cost for the name?
Old May 22, 2015, 10:51 AM   #2
CraigC
Contributing Member

S&W's are more complicated and expensive to produce. Or at least they used to be. Many steps have been taken to reduce manufacturing costs in the last 10-20yrs, yet they have remained costly compared to the competition. For older guns, S&W's were simply better made with forged innards, better fitted and better finished.

On average, the S&W will prove to be more accurate.

"Wise men learn by others’ harms; fools by their own." - Benjamin Franklin

http://www.sixgunleather.com

Last edited by CraigC; May 22, 2015 at 11:00 AM.
Old May 22, 2015, 10:57 AM   #3
anothernewb

Accuracy wise? I would say they will be a draw. barring mechanical problems - both are going to be limited by the shooter, not the pistol.

Cost wise, smiths have always carried a higher price, likely due to more machining.

Durability wise. so close as to be immeasurable.

With the older smiths, the triggers were often wonderful right out of the box. The ruger has a different trigger mechanism and the hammer falls a little slower - but it can be made every bit as sweet with a little work.

If it were me - it comes more down to style. my very personal .02. I feel the Smiths have "nicer lines" and have a "look" that defines revolver the same way 1911 defines auto pistol to me. The ruger has lines too, but they say solid structure and brute force.

That being said, I have several examples of both in the safe, and I love them equally.
Old May 22, 2015, 11:02 AM   #4
weblance

Susieqz... thats a tough call. I have a 4" 617, and 3 Single Six/Tens. The S&W is a fine pistol. The Ruger is a very well built revolver, but maybe just a notch under the Smith for fit, and finish only. My Single Ten will shoot as good as my 617, and is certainly just as beautiful as my 617. Since I feel a Double Action revolver is for defense, I see no reason why a Double Action revolver is needed for a 22, unless you are using it for trigger training for a centerfire revolver. If you buy a Single Six/Ten, rest assured that you have one of the finest 22 revolvers built.

If all my guns were lost, I would buy a Single Ten, and never miss my 617
Old May 22, 2015, 11:02 AM   #5
CraigC
Contributing Member

Quote:
Accuracy wise? I would say they will be a draw. barring mechanical problems - both are going to be limited by the shooter, not the pistol.
I don't agree with this. Ruger drills all their chambers at once, which often leads to misalignment and inconsistent chamber dimensions. S&W has always taken better care with their K-22's and reams their chambers all will a single reamer. IMHO, they are simply better put together and will be more accurate on average.

"Wise men learn by others’ harms; fools by their own." - Benjamin Franklin

http://www.sixgunleather.com
Old May 22, 2015, 11:03 AM   #6
susieqz

thank you. my question was about accuracy n reliability, but i forgot to mention that.
if accuracy is the same, the ruger sounds like the better value.
oh ! i see craig disagrees. thatputs it up in the air.
Old May 22, 2015, 11:12 AM   #7
MrBorland

A pair of questions to ask yourself is whether you mind being limited to shooting single action and whether you mind having to unload & reload a SA revolver. In my case, the answer to both is "yes, I do mind", so the S&W would be a no-brainer for me.

Accuracy? I can't comment on the Ruger, but the S&W M17 in all it's iterations has a well-deserved reputation for excellent accuracy. In either case, though, you'll have to find the ammo the gun shoots well to eek out it's full potential.
Old May 22, 2015, 11:14 AM   #8
Radagast
Contributing Member

My experience? Model 617, 18 and Single Six were mechanically accurate. Hammer took longer to strike on the Ruger, so slightly harder to hold still. Every S&W I have owned has needed some minor work at one point, the Ruger kept on ticking. I sold the Ruger to buy the S&W 617 and regret it to this day. I sold the 617 because I didn't enjoy shooting it. I'm hanging onto the Model 18 and will buy a new Ruger one day.
Old May 22, 2015, 11:18 AM   #9
anothernewb

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
I don't agree with this. Ruger drills all their chambers at once, which often leads to misalignment and inconsistent chamber dimensions. S&W has always taken better care with their K-22's and reams their chambers all will a single reamer. IMHO, they are simply better put together and will be more accurate on average.
I guess I would put a misaligned chamber under the purview of mechanical issue. But I understand where your coming from. However, I have yet to observe a misaligned chamber in any of my ruger revolvers. I have however had a rough throat that I never noticed until I used more lead. No accuracy problems but I did notice a tendency toward leading until I got it sorted out.
Old May 22, 2015, 11:19 AM   #10
susieqz

most of the bunnies i shoot are from 15 to 25 yards. i only get one shot, so i need the gun that will do that best.
right now, i use a 22/45 but to do that i had to add a red dot.
i just want a revolver forfun. i never shot one.
Old May 22, 2015, 11:45 AM   #11
Walkalong

Either one will suffice for that.

"Oh bother" said Pooh, as he chambered another round. Author unknown.
Old May 22, 2015, 12:00 PM   #12
susieqz

good to know, walk.

guys?
is either of these easier to get to a trigger pull around 2 lbs?
i have to spend lots of money n time, plus learn gunsmith skills to get the 22/45 to have a nice pull.
i shoot better with nice triggers.
Old May 22, 2015, 12:08 PM   #13
bannockburn

susieqz

Typically I would say just about everybody shoots better (more accurately), with a nice trigger. If it were me I would look for an older S&W K22 for the best of both worlds (quality construction with a great trigger in SA and DA and highly accurate).
Old May 22, 2015, 12:14 PM   #14
susieqz

yow! i just looked up k22s. they are way more expensive than new guns.
they seem to range from $1200- $2300.
Old May 22, 2015, 12:56 PM   #15
BCRider

Likely the ones you found were in primo collectible condition. At least I hope that's the case.

Older used Model 17's are another option. Since this would clearly be a field use gun a little outer wear and markings won't bother you as long as it's still got a respectable look. I know that I'm highly tolerant of normal wear on the bluing from use and holsters. What does bother me is obvious damage from poor care.

If hunting for the stew pot and basic plinking I think you'd be happy with the Ruger for a lot less money. They generally do shoot well.

Working the trigger down to a nice light and crisp feel will require some research and likely the usual super fine stones and jigs to hold the parts and ensure the critical angles and dimensions are maintained.

The hold on the gun is going to be a bit strange at first. When I first shot DA S&W's the hold was 100% natural and this showed in the instantly small group size. When I started shooting SA style guns this wasn't so easy. It took me a little time to come to realize that the old timers that kept telling me to park my pinky under the butt end were right. Once that stuck and I started holding the gun right some of my best shooting came from and continues to come from my SA style guns.

If you have small hands you may not be able to park the pinky correctly. But if that's the case put the pinky on the edge so you can actually feel the edge. That'll lift your hand up a touch and put the web of your hand on the middle of the "knee" of the back strap where it should be rather than too high up.
Old May 22, 2015, 01:47 PM   #16
weblance

Its very easy, and free, to do the "Poor Boys Trigger Job" on the Ruger. Its much more complicated to do a trigger job on the Smith. The Smith will have a supurb Single Action trigger, and I dont feel it needs any attention. Double Action can be improved, but do you really need it? Will you ever take a DA shot on a Bunny? Maybe you will, but I never would.

I have both legs of the trigger return spring lifted off the peg on my Single Ten. It has a trigger pull that is mere ounces. I tried lifting both legs on my stainless SS, but the trigger wont reset. Im certainly not telling you to lift both legs, but it can be done.

Last edited by weblance; May 22, 2015 at 01:52 PM.
Old May 22, 2015, 02:02 PM   #17
frogfurr

I have owned a Ruger Single and presently own a K22. Both of these guns were equally accurate. The precision of the action on the K22 is light years better on the K22 than the Single Six. That doesn't make it shoot any better but makes it a more pleasing gun to shoot.
Old May 22, 2015, 02:03 PM   #18
swopjan

Are you only considering buying local? If you're willing to shop online you have a lot more options. S&W made a number of variations of the Model 17 (which used to be the K-22), an accurate, working gun on the used market wouldn't cost much different than a new single 7. Of course an older used single six might be had for as little as $300 if you're lucky and $350-400 if you're patient.

I don't know the actual pull weight but my M17 in single action is lighter than any of my four Ruger single actions. I believe the single 6/7's have adjustable sights and I know the model 17's do. A S&W will probably be more accurate on paper but for bunnies at short range either will do the job.
Old May 22, 2015, 03:10 PM   #19
Paladin7

Here's how I would answer this question...apples and oranges, they are both fruit, but they are two different things.

If you are talking an older Model 17 S&W, you are talking a finely engineered double action target revolver. I would buy a good example of one in a heartbeat, because everyone should have one of these in their collection.

The Ruger Super Single Six, is a fantastic versatile (with the 22 lr and 22 mag cylinders), fun field or target gun that will last a lifetime.

If you use this as the baseline, you can make an informed decision based on other factors that may be important to you.
Old May 22, 2015, 04:07 PM   #20
susieqz

thank you guys for sharing your wisdom.
i knew nothing about revolvers but now i know more'
it is very kind of you to help me.

hugzzz,
susie
Old May 22, 2015, 04:57 PM   #21
Normandy

Smith & Wesson makes a 10-shot .22LR K frame, full lug 6", that you are sure to love. Careful shopping (Gunbroker), especially for used ones, might be your best option. I see some of them for around $600 range.
Old May 22, 2015, 05:36 PM   #22
susieqz

um, here's a couple of silly questions. the smith 617 comes with wrap around rubber grips. if the grip is removed can you install plain wood grips that don't wrap around?
i have my heart set on stainless n wood.
also, can double action revolvers be fired single action.?
i think i'd prefer cocking a hammer before i shoot.
if i shoot at an evil bunny i'll only get one shot anyway.
Old May 22, 2015, 06:39 PM   #23
rvn67n20

Yes, and yes!

My $0.02 - I have a 4 screw M17, 2 Single Sixes (.22 and .32), a Single Seven, and a Dan Wesson .22 - I find the S&W an absolute delight to shoot, but in the woods it's one of the other 3 in the holster. I'd hold that if you're hunting, a Ruger's much easier to subject to weather, brush, blood, slips, falls, etc. At least to my Scot's blood...
Old May 22, 2015, 06:46 PM   #24
Driftwood Johnson

Quote:
um, here's a couple of silly questions. the smith 617 comes with wrap around rubber grips. if the grip is removed can you install plain wood grips that don't wrap around?
Yes, there are some grip makers out there who make wood grips for the 617.

Quote:
can double action revolvers be fired single action.?
Most can. The ones that cannot are usually called Double Action Only.

Personally, I prefer the Smith to the Ruger, but I have a few of both.

Oh yeah, you can fire 22 Magnums out of the extra cylinder that comes with a lot of Rugers, you can't do that with a Smith. But 22 Mags are so expensive I never shoot them anyway.

Last edited by Driftwood Johnson; May 22, 2015 at 06:52 PM.
Old May 22, 2015, 06:48 PM   #25
susieqz

rvn, what 32 cal ammo do you shoot?
what do you think of it?
i'm quite interested in that caliber because i hear the recoil isn't much more than 22lr.
i've been thinking that a centerfire gun would be nice for 22lr shortages.
i'm paying as much for 22lr as centerfires anyway.