Quantcast
How Many are Now Carrying a Cane? - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Non-Firearm Weapons

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

View Poll Results: Do you carry a walking cane?
Always 47 9.96%
Sometimes 191 40.47%
Never 185 39.19%
Concealed Carry is enough 66 13.98%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 472. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 27, 2010, 08:21 PM   #1
the iron horse

How Many are Now Carrying a Cane?

I'm far from a rocking chair, but I'm starting to
carry a cane out in public.

It's legal everywhere

You know, years ago, it
was one item a young man would always have at his side.

self defense was one of the reasons
Old November 27, 2010, 08:30 PM   #2
REAPER4206969

Why not just carry a collapsible baton if you're into that whole skull crushing thing?
A Citizen noted the hammer back on the 1911 carried in the waist band by Charlie Miller, Texas Ranger. The Citizen asks, "Isn't That Dangerous?" Charlie replied, "I wouldn't carry the son of a bitch if it wasn't dangerous." DVC
Old November 27, 2010, 08:37 PM   #3
wrs840

Location: Brushy Mts, NC, growing feed-crops /BioFuel fodder.
Do you mean a shootin' cane? ...a stickin' cane, ...or a whompin' cane?

Les
Old November 27, 2010, 09:12 PM   #4
hmphargh

Quote:
Originally Posted by REAPER4206969 View Post
Why not just carry a collapsible baton if you're into that whole skull crushing thing?
Not Legal in a lot of states, including my own. I fall into the "sometimes" category, but "rarely" would probably be more appropriate.
Old November 27, 2010, 10:18 PM   #5
Brian Williams

Yep, it is a nice Oak Stock style cane, works very well.
Old November 27, 2010, 11:18 PM   #6
hso

You can explain a cane any time anywhere "Naw, it don't hold me up, just keeps me from falling down sometime.". Not so much a baton.

TheHighRoad exists to provide a higher grade of discussion than is found on some other gun forums so antis and undecideds can see that gun owners and RKBA advocates are not the reckless misanthropes they tell everyone we are. Personal attacks, group stereotyping, macho chest-thumping, and partisan hackery are low road and hurt all of us.
Old November 27, 2010, 11:21 PM   #7
Gordon

Another seasoned citizen who carries an oaken stock cane=sometimes .
Though we never leave dry land,
All the goblins, I've forgot 'em,
I buried them in the sand
So give me two 1911s,
one for each hand.
Old November 27, 2010, 11:30 PM   #8
GCBurner

If your beard is turning gray, nobody questions why you're carrying a stick on your walks.
Old November 28, 2010, 01:34 AM   #9
Nomad, 2nd

Cold Steel City Stick.

Give me hell on airlines (I also use it some when I need to be on my feet alot)

I offer to show my perscription narcodics, scars on my feet, and Retired ID.
(Medical)

...Shuts em up.
Old November 28, 2010, 05:21 AM   #10
bikerdoc

Ya, It comes with age and infirmity. I advise you get some training.
Old November 28, 2010, 11:12 AM   #11
Dave Markowitz

Quote:
If your beard is turning gray, nobody questions why you're carrying a stick on your walks.
And people frequently open doors for you.

This blackthorn is both a means of support and a self defense weapon.

Old November 28, 2010, 12:52 PM   #12
Carl Levitian

My blackthorn has traveled with me to England, Germany, France, Italy, as well as all over the U.S. on airlines. I can't think of another defense tool I can do that with.

Plus it gives me something to lean on in museums.

Carl.
Old November 28, 2010, 01:07 PM   #13
hso

I've never had a peep said about my cane flying nationally/internationally other than to ask if I needed help through the arch while they scan my cane. I just reply (with a grin and a wink), "I don't need it to hold me up all the time, just to keep me from falling down some of the time. 3 knee surgeries, the cost of an overactive youth. ".

TheHighRoad exists to provide a higher grade of discussion than is found on some other gun forums so antis and undecideds can see that gun owners and RKBA advocates are not the reckless misanthropes they tell everyone we are. Personal attacks, group stereotyping, macho chest-thumping, and partisan hackery are low road and hurt all of us.
Old November 28, 2010, 03:49 PM   #14
Clipper

The 6-ounce heads on my sticks can be pretty powerful defensive tools...Like maces.
Old November 28, 2010, 04:29 PM   #15
Deltaboy

I have a testy right ankle and when it doesn't feel right I carry a cane and I also carry it at night. I have 4 of them.
Old November 28, 2010, 04:37 PM   #16
PTK

Due to prior injuries, I generally carry a cane with me. The fact it can be used quite effectively as a defensive weapon is incidental.
Old November 28, 2010, 05:50 PM   #17
heron

I do, always -- bad hip. I've never had to use it for anything but support, thankfully. That's bad enough.

When I started using canes, I found out why they fell out of favor as a fashion accessory -- they're a big bother.
Old November 28, 2010, 05:58 PM   #18
narco99

I sometimes carry a hickory stock cane modified with a striking edge or a custom Barry Dawson sword cane. I also have a Cold Steel Slim stick and Livesay Gray Ghost that I sometime use when hiking. Carried mostly when taking my dogs for a walk.
Old November 29, 2010, 09:35 AM   #19
Dave McCracken
Moderator In Memoriam

I have a couple and am about to get another from the family. With a titanium hip, a bad knee and 64 high mileage years on the clock, no one questions my having a heavy,sturdy stick.

And, no formal training, but 20 years of working in Medium and Max security prisons left me with some practical, hands on experience.
Old November 29, 2010, 10:06 AM   #20
JohnD13

A back injury and the resuting loss of reflexes in one leg justify the cane. American Cane CO. make a fine one that incidentally make a fine defensive tool. I've actually been "interviewed" by a trooper who thought my blackthorn looked too much like a sword cane/weapon, so now it's a nice maple and cherrywood cane.
Old November 29, 2010, 10:47 AM   #21
ForumSurfer

I don't carry one for self defense and have no desire to.

I have used one in the past when recovering from several injuries related to a rather rough motorcycle accident. It was just a plain ol' hickory stick. I wasn't happy to be using it and I was glad to stop using it...but I was young and anxious to be recuperated.

If I needed one, I'd use one and not care too much what a THR poll or anyone else said about it. That being said, if I needed and used one...I'd work it into my SD plan since it is there, anyway and it is a viable tool.

Having been injured and forced into using a cane...I don't plan on using one until I need it (hopefully years from now), for self defense or otherwise.
Old November 29, 2010, 08:40 PM   #22
claypipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by the iron horse View Post
I'm far from a rocking chair, but I'm starting to
carry a cane out in public.

It's legal everywhere

You know, years ago, it
was one item a young man would always have at his side.

self defense was one of the reasons
Well, I suffer from two collapsed discs in my lower back, as well as traveling gout. So a cane is sometimes a necessity.

I have been practicing obscure martial arts forms since I was 15 years old. So, I have a few cane styles under my belt. My favorite cane, when I am out and about in New Orleans, is one I had crafted by a local iron worker. It is solid steel and weighs about 12 pounds.

To look at it, it appears to be a run of the mill, black, old fart's, walking cane. Imagine how disinterested a mugger would become when this cane's tip is brought down on their instep.

Old November 29, 2010, 10:02 PM   #23
Erik M

Im not even 30 years old yet but Ive developed a problem with my sciatic nerve, that got my interested in getting a cane to use discreetly. THR showed me that in a pinch it could be used for self defense.

Nice example of an authentic blackthorn Dave.
Old November 30, 2010, 04:20 PM   #24
Limeyfellow

I occasionally carry a cane or walking stick when out hiking or in the forest, but thats about it really. It is more for balance than anything protective so far.
Old November 30, 2010, 04:44 PM   #25
wheelgunslinger

I can't pull it off. Everything works too well on me still, and I'm in pretty obvious good condition from working out and Yoga.

Every once in a while, I get a twinge in my right ankle after backpacking too much pack weight for a day or so. Other than the days following that, I'm stuck on two legs with no cane.