Quantcast
my new toy - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Non-Firearm Weapons

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old July 5, 2014, 08:06 PM   #1
Deltaboy

my new toy

A cold steel Shambok. As I read on some other sites a gental tap on the leg hurts like the devil.

http://www.coldsteel.com/Product/95S..._42_BLACK.aspx

http://www.donrearic.com/mightysjambok.html

Anybody else got one?
Old July 5, 2014, 09:08 PM   #2
9mmforMe

I don't own one but the video is impressive to an extent. Good for outdoors to be sure.
Old July 5, 2014, 09:37 PM   #3
rcmodel

Heck, my mom always had one of them handy when I was a little boy on the farm.
She cut them herself for free off a long limber sapling in the field, and she called it a Hickory Switch, not a Shambok.

Never seen her use it to kill a watermelon, or soft drink cans?
Though she certainly was a Trained Professional in it's use.

We couldn't afford to waste watermelons we only got once a year when we grew them.
And soda pop was a special treat on the 4th. of July.
When they could afford it.

Sure smarted when she used one my butt or bare legs when I was 6!
Didn't kill or stop me though!

To be honest though?
She kept a small one around for me.
And a bigger longer one for snakes in the yard, or killing chickens for the pot.

rc

Last edited by rcmodel; July 5, 2014 at 09:47 PM.
Old July 5, 2014, 11:26 PM   #4
hso

A search on sjamboks will give 3 pages of results of which there's about 1 great page of info.

TheHighRoad exists to provide a higher grade of discussion than is found on some other gun forums so antis and undecideds can see that gun owners and RKBA advocates are not the reckless misanthropes they tell everyone we are. Personal attacks, group stereotyping, macho chest-thumping, and partisan hackery are low road and hurt all of us.
Old July 6, 2014, 02:44 PM   #5
Deltaboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hso View Post
A search on sjamboks will give 3 pages of results of which there's about 1 great page of info.
Yes I found that out before posting here. Don' s description on his page and the 17 buck price tag was just too tempting.
Old July 7, 2014, 05:49 PM   #6
craftsman

The Ancient Art of the Sjambok

http://www.cafepress.com/meijin3.651778457

Actually ... I wrote the book.

Unlike Lynn Thompson (Cold Steel) and James Loriega's techniques (Smash and obliterate), I emphasize tip control and finesse, mush like rapier fighting techniques. Where they desintegtate eggs, grapefruits and watermelons, I remove seeds from a strawberry.
Old July 10, 2014, 05:16 PM   #7
Deltaboy

Well Craftsman I see I go some more books to buy.
Old July 11, 2014, 06:29 AM   #8
DNS

I've actually never seen one before.
Looks fun and I can certainly appreciate the mental health aspect of beating the living crap out of something with it.

Let us know what level of destruction your able to attain and how well it functions.
Old July 11, 2014, 09:03 AM   #9
Deltaboy

I cut down some Johnson Grass with it yesterday. It handles well and easier to use than real whip.
Old July 11, 2014, 09:14 AM   #10
Outlaw Man
Contributing Member

I would definitely hurt myself with one of those. Looks like a lot of fun, though.
Old July 11, 2014, 09:17 AM   #11
Deltaboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw Man View Post
I would definitely hurt myself with one of those. Looks like a lot of fun, though.
You work them a lot like you would a fly rod.
Old July 11, 2014, 11:22 AM   #12
Outlaw Man
Contributing Member

You've obviously never seen me try to operate a fly rod.
Old July 11, 2014, 12:41 PM   #13
lemaymiami

Since I work a lot of fly anglers (and ran a night charter last night for baby tarpon...) I've seen my share of somewhat "challenged" fly anglers... If the sjambok is anything like a fly rod it's all timing and speed instead of raw power.

In my own case I did poorly on the street with impact weapons years ago. I learned early that most of my encounters only made bad situations worse (and if all you're doing is enraging your opponent things may not go your way...). As a result I gave up blackjack, night stick, etc. and resorted to my own version of "catch wrestling" instead -when your only choice was to wade in and end up rolling around in the gutter. Can't say I miss those years....
Old July 11, 2014, 01:31 PM   #14
desidog

Quote:
a gental tap
Ha. i read that as "genital"...not "gentle."
Old July 14, 2014, 03:58 PM   #15
Deltaboy

Talking

Use it like a fly rod with more power behind it ,swing it like Dad did his belt ,do strike' s you would with a sword. When I killed the Johnson grass I swing it like a sling blade or Kiser Blade.
Old August 17, 2014, 08:39 PM   #16
Deltaboy

It works great as a cat toy too.
Old August 18, 2014, 12:53 PM   #17
craftsman

Deltaboy,

The Sjambok IS a "real whip" - dictionaty definition: "(Noun) 1. a strip of leather or length of cord fastened to a handle, used for flogging or beating a person or for urging on an animal." Although the updated Cold Steel version is made of UHMW-PE, it's original counterpart, being made of elephant, rhino, or hippo skin, does qualify it. Same for a Stock whip, lunge whip, cow whip, snake whip, bull whip, etc. It is just not a "Plaited" whip.
Old August 18, 2014, 08:41 PM   #18
Deltaboy

Yes and I had a Lass La Rue whip when I was a kid till I almost took off the ear of 16 year old cousin because he had been tormenting me all afternoon . My Dad was cool as we're my great uncle but Momma pitchs a Fit. So Dad took it and I never saw it again I was 12 at the time.

Last edited by Deltaboy; August 18, 2014 at 09:11 PM.
Old August 18, 2014, 08:48 PM   #19
CWL

Lash La Rue whip?

Way before my time, but I've heard the name. I grew up in a "kinder" generation when toy makers were moving away from toys that could actually injure you. I'm not sure what I missed, but I'm sure I missed out on lots of fun items.
Old August 18, 2014, 09:14 PM   #20
Deltaboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWL View Post
Lash La Rue whip?

Way before my time, but I've heard the name. I grew up in a "kinder" generation when toy makers were moving away from toys that could actually injure you. I'm not sure what I missed, but I'm sure I missed out on lots of fun items.
Dad found it in a old rural store in Eastern Arkansas back in the mid 1970's it was new old stock he found when he was remodeling the building.
Old August 18, 2014, 09:28 PM   #21
SleazyRider

My Sjambok accompanies me when I walk my dog every day. My springer spaniel is more of a diplomat than a fighter, and I am always on my guard for nasty dogs whose owners find it acceptable to let run free. I think it a good alternative to pepper spray or a firearm for fending off agressive dogs.

---JOHN STEINBECK, East of Eden
Old August 19, 2014, 07:21 AM   #22
Fred Fuller

I got a couple of the older style plastic ones years ago, and did cord wraps on the handles after removing the red plastic whatever they came with. Found them very useful for working cattle, especially the longer 54" ones.

MINDSET - SKILLSET - TOOLSET - IN THAT ORDER! -with props to COL John Boyd, USAF
http://globalguerrillas.typepad.com/john_boyd/