Quantcast
Knife handle Material???'s - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Non-Firearm Weapons

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old January 23, 2015, 02:27 PM   #1
Averageman

Knife handle Material???'s

I have a Bowie I picked up while stationed in Germany, the knife has no value as the previous owner used it for everything from a pry bar to a rack breaker.
I've got the rust off of it, but need a new handle as the old one is cracked and broken. I also need a new sheath for it.
Any idea's of where I can get a sheath made and some material for a handle and some rivets?
I'm a newbie at this and just want a good working Bowie.
Old January 23, 2015, 02:37 PM   #2
Snarlingiron

Location: Fort Worth, Texas (Where men are men, and a lot of women are too!)
http://www.texasknife.com/vcom/index.php
Old January 23, 2015, 02:39 PM   #3
OpticsPlanet

My favorite handle material is G10. Does not shrink or get hot, cold, slippery or spark. I think it's the best all round handle material you can get. Also, there are plenty of knife supply houses around that sell all the parts you would need and probably even a generic sheath. I have purchased many factory seconds sheaths over the years and they were fine. One company that comes to mind is Jantz: http://www.knifemaking.com/

George P.
Old January 23, 2015, 03:19 PM   #4
Valkman

Also knifekits.com
Old January 23, 2015, 05:42 PM   #5
redneck

I recommend micarta ( I like linen based the best of the 3). I find its slightly less nasty to work with than G10 since it doesn't have the glass in it (either way you should wear a mask), relatively cheap and will last forever.
Old January 23, 2015, 06:35 PM   #6
Stugotz

Another vote for Micarta. Been my favorite for over 20+ years. For a start, the color choices are vast in both solids or laminates, and you can go smooth or textured. Relatively easy to work too.
Old January 24, 2015, 10:47 AM   #7
AJumbo

I've been doing well with the wood laminates, but micarta is great stuff; I tend to favor canvas micarta for it's grip. Stabilized woods are very tough, but are spendy, and may be out of place on a "beater" utility knife.

Insofar as fasteners, look at the Corby-style bolts. They can be easily finished flush with the handles, and require only a drill press, a step drill (or two appropriately-sized drill bits), and some judgement to install. They even provide the clamping force required to hold the handles in place while your epoxy dries. Most of the knife supply sites have tutorials, and you can just keep asking the members here for advice and "don't do THIS" stories.
Old January 25, 2015, 01:18 PM   #8
Zeke/PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneck View Post
I recommend micarta ( I like linen based the best of the 3). I find its slightly less nasty to work with than G10 since it doesn't have the glass in it (either way you should wear a mask), relatively cheap and will last forever.
I made a ton of knives using Micarta and most slabs/ handles were of CE grade canvas.
The layers are close to linen base density and much cheaper.
G-10 ? Is it expensive or what?
Old January 25, 2015, 02:29 PM   #9
Sunray

"...used it for everything from a pry bar to a rack breaker..." And it still holds an edge? Has lots of value. Lee Valley tools has all that knife stuff.
Couldn't imagine paying for a sheath, but I have all the tools to make 'em already. Tandy's for that.
Old January 25, 2015, 03:21 PM   #10
Officers'Wife

Many saddle shops that work leather can make a high quality sheath.
they are tired of living!

If you need this message in another language, move to a country that speaks it.
Old January 25, 2015, 05:03 PM   #11
Valkman

Quote:
G-10 ? Is it expensive or what?
About the same price as micarta. I like 'em both, and G10 is available in many solid colors and color combo's.
Old January 26, 2015, 09:34 PM   #12
MCgunner

Location: The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
I kinda like stag, myself...

Old January 26, 2015, 10:14 PM   #13
Valkman

Here's a knife I made with stag:

I really liked using red stag.

Old January 26, 2015, 10:22 PM   #14
rcmodel
Contributing Member

Nice!

Love the cloisonné pins!

I first thought they were engraved or metal stamped.
And I was gonna ask you to teach me how to do that!!!

rc
Old January 26, 2015, 10:43 PM   #15
Valkman

There's not much I could teach you RC!
Old January 28, 2015, 10:01 PM   #16
Shanghai McCoy

Stag is sure pretty as well as functional.
Old January 28, 2015, 10:11 PM   #17
Dakota Jeff

if you are going for function and not a beauty contest hit a good home center and find a small length of hard wood, oak mahog, etc. They have lots of choises and for rivets go to the welding/metal work supply area and find a brass rod small enough in diameter to fit the holes in your handle. Work the handles up and when finished and satisfied with them, measure the brass rod just a bit shy of thickness of the handle include the metal maybe rubber band the wood to the knife to measure. then you would need to flatten or bulge one end slip it into place and use a nail set or better a center punch to bulge or flatten the other end. That is how we made handles in shop years ago and now that mom has passed every night my sister still uses a kitchen implement I made over twenty years ago, using that technique. good luck.
Old January 28, 2015, 11:33 PM   #18
Valkman

Another more uncommon handle material I used was giraffe bone from giraffebone.com. Very pretty stuff but it usually doesn't look like it first does when you grind it down so it's kind of a crapshoot. Here's one I made and it wound up in Blade magazine: