Quantcast
M1905E1 bayonet - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Non-Firearm Weapons

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old February 9, 2015, 04:07 AM   #1
USAF_Vet

M1905E1 bayonet

One of the local junk stores has a couple bayonets for sale. One in a scabbard is marked as an M1 Garand bayonet. I haven't handled it to check markings or blade profile. If it is an M1 series bayonet with period scabbard, what should I check for to verify model and authenticity? What would be the approximate value (its nowhere near pristine condition). They are asking $89.95.

They also have another bayonet without any info on the tag. Based on the blade profile, I think it's an M1905E1, or an in theater chopped 1905. It's also in rough, but serviceable condition. For it's price, I'm probably just going to buy it and worry about authenticity and model and value later. In my eyes, it's worth the $14.95 they are asking for it. It has the same groove and Bowie style blade as the 1905E, but with a notched sawback. I've never seen an issued WWII- Korean War era bayonet with a sawback blade. Not on an M1 or 1905 (variants included).

I'll try to get pics of both later if I stop by, hopefully bringing the one home.
Old February 9, 2015, 08:13 AM   #2
JT-AR-MG42

Please do post photos.
I would sure think that most any 1905 that you could get in and out of a scabbard is worth 90 bucks.

And the sawback blade sure has me curious.
The grips (or even the screws and escutcheons) on it are worth 15!

JT
Old February 9, 2015, 02:16 PM   #3
rcmodel
Contributing Member

Here is a pretty good read on the Garand bayonets.
https://www.thegca.org/pdfs/Bayonets409.pdf

http://arms2armor.com/Bayonets/bayonets.htm#US

I am not aware of there ever being a saw-back U.S. Bayonet for the M-1 or Springfield.

There was a saw-back German Mauser bayonet in WWI.
The Swiss also made one.

rc

Last edited by rcmodel; February 9, 2015 at 02:29 PM.
Old February 9, 2015, 03:10 PM   #4
Sunray

The $14.95 they are asking equals repro.
"...with a notched saw back..." W.W. I Mausers had those. Still worth more than $15. Brit, I think it was, engineers used one too. Germans were alleged to have summarily shot anybody captured with one.
An 1905E1 will have a date stamped on it. In decent condition, they start at $65 without the scabbard.
Old February 9, 2015, 11:57 PM   #5
USAF_Vet

When I started asking questions, the guy got a bit finicky. Especially when I saw the price on the one jumped from $14.95 to $39.99.

The one with scabbard has a label that reads WWI (yes, world war one) M1 Garand Bayonet. I asked him if it was correct, he waffled, saying he wasn't sure. I didn't feel like pointing out that the Garand hadn't been invented yet, but I could also tell the scabbard was not original to the bayonet. I think it was a combo of a WWII Garand bayonet and an old knife sheath. Neither were in good enough condition for me to shell out the $90.

As for the other one, with the price increase, and the unknown origin, I decided to pass.