Quantcast
A THR knife PICTURE thread?!?! - Page 12 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Non-Firearm Weapons

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old March 24, 2012, 09:01 PM   #276
Steve32

My new Gerber machete

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28rElsE5u6E

Old March 25, 2012, 10:11 PM   #277
brigadier

Some knives I built:

This is a hunting knife I built. The handle is made of cocobolo and brass. As the marking indicates, the blade is made of S-7 tool steel. I tested the sharpness by shaving a patch of hair off my arm with it. I refined it a little since these pictures were taken. Sold it to a friend for $200 (around what it cost to make). I'm currently constructing a copy of it.

I made this knife out of the same piece of metal that the hunting knife was made of. I originally listed it for sale on craigslist but wound up giving it to my cousin's fiance for Christmas. It's literally beyond razor sharp.

This is my wootz pocket knife. Unfortunately, this knife recently went missing.

A restoration of a buck folder. It's original owner used it as a throwing knife among other things folders are not meant for and was majorly bashed up. The pic looks less impressive then what went in to it being that this knife was in such bad shape that it was handed to me as a last resort by someone who saw no hope in it. Much of the work was done not for $ but just for artistic sake. The amount of hours invested would have fetched a price nearly double what the blade goes for brand new. I heated up the back of the blade and forged it out so it would lock solid again. The back of the handle was completely destroyed and held together by a "jimmy rig" screw job that actually did more harm then good. I fixed the spring, cleaned up and replaced the components at the back of the handle, refinished the grips, polished and sharpened the blade and spring and gave the handle some grip marks. I also straightened out and tuned up the blade where necessary.

Now it's in better shape then it was brand new in almost every way. The owner called me the day after he got it back saying he barely glanced himself with the blade by accident and almost got a stitch wound.

Photo was taken at end of day under poor lighting. Sorry.

This monster is currently being prepped for heat treat. This is basically a giant survival machete. My friend hired me to build it for him. It's made from a 36x3x1/4 inch slab of S-7 tool steel. The slab of steel alone cost around $100 after shipping and even after being cut and shaped it still weighs a good 3 1/2lbs or more.

It's meant to be able to chop a 2 inch tree (standard living room Christmas tree) down in one hit, though my experience tells me a 3 inch tree is going to be no match for it. Even though the blade is weak and un-sharpened, it already has more chopping power then your average hatchet. Just about all of it's specs are staggering.

Owner wanted me to give it some working saw teeth but also wanted it to look cool, so there's a plan to give the saw teeth bevels a cool pattern as to make it look cool without sacrificing mechanical properties.

The lack of sharp edges anywhere on the blade are no accident. Sharp edges tend to split during heat treat so all sharpening is reserved for afterwards. Owner says he wants to send it off tomorrow. Whether or not that happens, I don't know.

Last edited by brigadier; March 25, 2012 at 10:16 PM.
Old March 26, 2012, 09:56 PM   #278
tazbigdog

Just picked this one up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Banderas.jpg (88.0 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by ArfinGreebly; April 1, 2012 at 05:20 PM. Reason: attached photo
Old March 27, 2012, 04:44 PM   #279
G.WHEELERKNIVES

Here is one I made back a few years ago, at the time it was one of my best. I asked Joe Keesler if I could copy his personal Bowie knife, he said sure as long as he got to see it before I sold it... Went to a nice home with a Friend at Marrs Candies and he likes to use it to cut branches at his place
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12mar07.jpg (68.8 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg 12mar07-1.jpg (63.2 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg zu36h.jpg (46.9 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg Wheeler_chop.jpg (107.8 KB, 37 views)
Old March 27, 2012, 07:05 PM   #280
brigadier

That's cool. I like the beveling on that blade. That cutting power is no surprise. Someone actually knows what they're doing.
Old April 1, 2012, 02:12 PM   #281
tahoe2

hunting knives

All of mine have been bloodied but one, the short guthook. I was gutting a Pronghorn,
when inside the body cavity in the neck area I realized that my blade was too long, so I bought the shorty.
hunting knives 001.jpg Sharade "field & stream", Gerber "gator guthook" Smith & Wesson guthook

hunting knives 002.jpgGerber "gator folder" & "drop point"
I put cabinet bumpers on the folders, so I could open them one handed, they even work bloody.
Old April 10, 2012, 10:11 AM   #282
Infidel4life11

I was wondering when I was going to see a tops tracker on here
Old April 10, 2012, 08:48 PM   #283
Coyote3855

Old April 18, 2012, 07:32 PM   #284
thefish

Here's a buck 110 I ground down many many years ago. Lives in my
glovebox now.

Shot at 2012-04-18

Shot at 2012-04-18

Shot at 2012-04-18

Last edited by thefish; April 18, 2012 at 07:39 PM.
Old April 18, 2012, 11:37 PM   #285
Il Duca

A new one for me:

Old April 19, 2012, 02:39 AM   #286
perado

How about more Barry Dawson?

Grizzly Bowie

English Bowie

Dagger

Push Dagger

Dew Claw

A pair of Damascus Spikes

"It's the deed, not the device."
Old April 19, 2012, 05:40 PM   #287
BRad704

Just finished this one last night.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (114.4 KB, 45 views)
Old April 20, 2012, 04:39 PM   #288
tazbigdog

Another one I have in the collection.
Old April 28, 2012, 10:04 AM   #289
Doug S

A couple of old school favorites, that can be had for about $30 each, and are American made to boot. Good deer hunting knives, IMO.

Old April 28, 2012, 11:19 AM   #290
Tony_the_tiger

Benchmade 943

Benchmade 710

Old April 28, 2012, 12:19 PM   #291
whetrock

A few more random ones.

Busse Basic 10 LE

Case Amber Bone CV Canoe

Buck 426 Bucklite with Kwik thumb

My go to beater a Mora 711

Buck 309 Companion
Old April 28, 2012, 11:41 PM   #292
Il Duca

In the mail to me from Jason Woytaz

Just won this Jeff White on ebay
Old May 1, 2012, 04:29 PM   #293
T.A.DAVISON knife maker

Old May 13, 2012, 08:26 AM   #294
Brink

Gun and Knife by kamelean, on Flickr
Old May 13, 2012, 09:28 AM   #295
j1

Wow. A bunch of really nice knives. Thanks for the post.
Old May 13, 2012, 09:29 AM   #296
mattmann

Not nearly as nice as some but none the less a great SD knife in my opinion. Super fast and sharp and some of the finest steel I've had.

Sent from my DROID RAZR
Old May 13, 2012, 11:04 AM   #297
Hemoglobin

This B÷ker Whale is my EDC knife. It goes everywhere with me. It was really what got me started on knives. Really love the Ans° design. It really has be bouncing between a type 67 and a ZT 0550 as my next edc. I know the 0550 is a better built knife, but Ans° does some great ergo work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (97.7 KB, 19 views)
Old May 14, 2012, 08:47 AM   #298
j1

I have never seen a nicer collection of knives in my life. This will now enter my faves to be drooled over at will. Thanks for staarting the post, sir.

Adding to the above line, looking at these knives gives me pleasure as a really great knife is not only useful but is a work of art. Thanks to all who posted here.

Last edited by j1; May 14, 2012 at 10:39 AM. Reason: to add to post
Old May 14, 2012, 09:55 AM   #299
Il Duca

Her is one from Eliot over on BF. called the Peewee. Dyed bone, mosaic pins, filework and nice leather. Truly a fine craftsman. Sorry for the overexposure I'll get better ones later:

Pics of my newly arrived Backwoods custom will follow as well.
Old May 14, 2012, 10:20 PM   #300
Il Duca

Here's my new Backwoods custom, just got it last week and it is just superb. Ordered it to my specs and recieved it in less than a week. It's a recurved hunting design, desert ironwood scales, red liners, black micarta pins and Backwoods' amazing patina finish.

A couple of the JW Knives Tanto. Blue G10 with Coyote liners, 01 steel

And a collective photo of my customs so far; from top to bottom: Jeff White Recurve, JW Knives Tanto, Backwoods recurve, Eliot Peewee