Quantcast
N.C. Wild Hogs - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Shooting Activities and Venues > Hunting

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old July 7, 2014, 10:00 PM   #1
lobo9er

N.C. Wild Hogs

Visiting a friend outside of Asheville N.C. and am hoping too sneak off for couple days for a hog hunt if they are around there. Most likely on public land. Any suggestions? My friends aren't hunters and didn't have many ideas but was going to ask around for me. so at the very least I will get some bird watching in... :-)
Old July 7, 2014, 10:44 PM   #2
rayatphonix

I live in Madison Co, just north of Asheville. We've got lots of hogs so you may check in the Nat Forests in our county. I'd make a call to the local Gamw Warden for tips as he usually knows where they're active.
Old July 8, 2014, 11:04 AM   #3
courtgreene

I'm an hour from there and have been seeing them in corn and hay fields. Not many, because thank God we don't have many here.

Mute: this is either a verb, in which one silences something, or a descriptive word for a condition of being silent.
Old July 8, 2014, 04:09 PM   #4
returningfire

Live about an hour west of Asheville. Call the local GW"s, they can probably tell you of some property owners that would welcome you shooting some hogs out of their fields.
Old July 8, 2014, 05:10 PM   #5
mountain_man

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayatphonix View Post
I live in Madison Co, just north of Asheville. We've got lots of hogs so you may check in the Nat Forests in our county. I'd make a call to the local Gamw Warden for tips as he usually knows where they're active.
I had no clue that Madison County had many hogs. Does the buncombe/haywood border area have any? I know some people in that area with property and they never see hogs at all. They have woods, pasture, hayfields, and corn fields, so I would think if there are any there they would come out into the fields at some point. Where do the hogs like to stay at?
Old July 8, 2014, 06:35 PM   #6
lobo9er

Anyone know when the season starts or if there is one? I am going to call a GW too make sure I play by the book.
Old July 8, 2014, 09:11 PM   #7
rayatphonix

Game warden says there's about 30 in our area. They've destroyed a creek bank on our property and maybe 1/2 acre of pasture. Suddenly disappeared about 3 weeks ago. Coyotes showed up at same time. Coincidence? I think not.

We're a couple of miles from County landfill. That's the attraction. So far hogs have been smarter than me but I'll confess I haven't worked hard at it. Work has been a big equalizer as I work all day and am in bed when they're active.

Haven't heard of many in Buncombe Co. But can't imaging Haywood isn't without
Old July 9, 2014, 10:10 AM   #8
Patocazador

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayatphonix View Post
Game warden says there's about 30 in our area. They've destroyed a creek bank on our property and maybe 1/2 acre of pasture.

If there's 30 this year, there will be 80+ next year. Those things are worse than cats or rabbits. The sows breed about 2-3x/year and produce litters of 6-10. The male offspring will breed back to their mothers the first year if there are no adult boars around.

Bob
Old July 9, 2014, 03:45 PM   #9
returningfire

No closed season, hunting with artificial lights is allowed,
see link for NCWRC rules and regs.
http://www.ncwildlife.org/Portals/0/...egs-Digest.pdf
Old July 9, 2014, 11:43 PM   #10
lobo9er

Return fire can you tell me the page that talks about hogs? Scrolled through whole thing on a tablet and couldn't find it
Old July 10, 2014, 12:55 AM   #11
Water-Man

It's been some years, but I used to hunt some pretty big boar in the Nantahala Nat'l. Forest area in Macon county.
Old July 10, 2014, 09:30 PM   #12
v8stang289

lobo9er, page 39 and 42 hit the main points. Hogs are referred to as "feral swine" in the regulation digest.

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti
Old July 11, 2014, 03:48 PM   #13
returningfire

Thanks for answering lobo v8, I had to work and just got back in the world.