Quantcast
SWEET 870 case in an unexpected place! - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Shotguns

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old March 21, 2014, 10:21 PM   #1
Macchina

SWEET 870 case in an unexpected place!

My wife bought me a very nice waxed cotton LL Bean 4-piece rod case a few months ago. It's really nice! With quality zippers, large pouch pockets (for reels), leather trim, and very quality waxed cotton (a little lighter than my Filson gear): this bag is worth double what she paid. It's been sitting in my office with my pack rod in it since I got it. I bought my 870 many years ago, it's a Super Magnum. (3 1/2" chamber) and of course it doesn't fit... Well I picked up a standard 870 a few weeks ago and tried it out: IT'S A PERFECT FIT! It looks tight, but it's not: just enough room but not too much to be sloppy. The 28" barrel fits really nice and I could throw my 18.5" barrel in as well if I wanted everything in one case. If you use this case, I'd recommend putting the receiver in a sock.

The pockets could hold 50 rounds each if you really wanted, but that would be really bulky and heavy. I put enough birdshot in one pocket to cover me should I forget ammo and 10 slugs plus 10 buckshot in the other pocket. This case far easier to pack than a full length case and equal quality to cases costing 4 times as much.

Last edited by Macchina; March 21, 2014 at 11:19 PM.
Old March 21, 2014, 10:28 PM   #2
horsemen61

Awesome score man
Old March 22, 2014, 05:22 PM   #3
Deltaboy

Nice use of that case.
Old March 22, 2014, 07:14 PM   #4
Cooldill

Looks purdy sweet!
Old March 22, 2014, 07:25 PM   #5
Stevel

Thanks for the idea. I have been trying to think of a case that doesn't look like a gun case for hotel travel. That might work.
Old March 22, 2014, 08:29 PM   #6
yzguy87

Very classy looking.
Is there another link you could post? Or possibly product #. I clicked the link and it appears the page is no longer available.

Also, how similar is the 870 to the 500 in size?
Old March 22, 2014, 08:45 PM   #7
Omaha-BeenGlockin

Try this:

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/49720?feat=4 piece rod case-SR0&page=maine-guide-waxed-canvas-four-piece-rod-case&attrValue_0=Khaki Brown&productId=862431
Old March 22, 2014, 09:11 PM   #8
rcmodel

Nice re-purposing a fishing rod case!
But how about just getting a real shotgun case to start with if you have to buy one?

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabel...7-001b2166c2c0

http://www.opticsplanet.com/boyt-har...-gun-case.html

Rc
Old March 22, 2014, 10:26 PM   #9
Macchina

The reason is: this is a really nice shotgun case (even if it's not marketed as such). The pockets are ideal for shell surface and the case is a perfect fit for an 870. If you're packing an 870, I can't imagine a better case.

Last edited by Macchina; March 22, 2014 at 10:37 PM.
Old March 23, 2014, 12:34 PM   #10
200Apples

Outstanding!

I'm a-gittin' me one!

:-)
"The very purpose of a Bill of Rights was to withdraw certain subjects from the vicissitudes of political controversy, to place them beyond the reach of majorities and officials and to establish them as legal principles to be applied by the courts." - Supreme Court Justice Robert H. Jackson, 1943