Quantcast
Was the SPAS 12 a flop - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Shotguns

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old March 28, 2012, 09:28 AM   #1
nathan

Was the SPAS 12 a flop

Never heard much after these years?

http://military.wikia.com/wiki/Franchi_SPAS-12
Old March 28, 2012, 09:30 AM   #2
Sam1911

Heavy, bulky, and too complicated for how shotguns are used. Interesting thought experiment, though.

Makes a great movie gun.

"...with liberty and justice for all." (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states.)
-D. Stanhope

Sights Practical Shooters -- IDPA

My Knife Showroom
Old March 28, 2012, 09:51 AM   #3
nathan

Me growing up in the 80s the SPAS was something to behold. Schwarzenegger made it even more fearsome looking. I did handle one back in gunshows in the 90s and was surprised it s so heavy . Maybe overbuilt, huh
Old March 28, 2012, 09:59 AM   #4
Sam1911

I think it tried to be so much that it missed the (or almost any) target market. Sort of like the concepts folks come up with for swap-caliber kits for rifles -- there's very little practical need for that that could possibly justify the complexity, weight, cost, bulk, and other draw-backs.

When 99% of "tactical" (er...this was the 70s-80s, right? So call it "PRE-tactical" ) users got the job done JUST fine with a pump shotgun, a complicated, expensive and very large pump shotgun that could ALSO fire as an auto just was pointless.

If an auto was ever needed for police/military shotgun tasks (and that would be arguable) they could buy an autoloader AND a pump gun for less, and either would be easier to carry and use -- and would be more reliable.

"...with liberty and justice for all." (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states.)
-D. Stanhope

Sights Practical Shooters -- IDPA

My Knife Showroom
Old March 28, 2012, 11:12 AM   #5
Odd Job

What about the SPAS-15, is that in the same boat?
Old March 28, 2012, 11:20 AM   #6
armoredman

Very few SPAS-15 imported, got to see one for sale at Jensen's in Tucson waaaaay back in the day. I think magazines go for more than the gun does now. It was the first detachable mag shotgun here, I think, not 100% sure. Political import restrictions killed it.

http://czfirearms.us/ The original CZ Forum, new address.
Old March 28, 2012, 11:49 AM   #7
Carl N. Brown

An acquaintance had one several years ago; I got the impression from his comments about his "SPAStic" that it convinced him that, more often than not, simpler is simply better.
Old March 28, 2012, 11:55 AM   #8
Fred Fuller

Just another one of those things that "seemed like a good idea at the time." The marketplace can be brutal towards better ideas that aren't.

MINDSET - SKILLSET - TOOLSET - IN THAT ORDER! -with props to COL John Boyd, USAF
http://globalguerrillas.typepad.com/john_boyd/
Old March 28, 2012, 12:00 PM   #9
Zundfolge

I still think if they put a 3" chamber in it, it would have done better.

Forget "Going Galt" I say we "Go Danneskjöld"
| Imagine a world with no guns!
Old March 28, 2012, 12:10 PM   #10
Bovice

It made it on Miami Vice!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...81406828493148
Old March 28, 2012, 12:19 PM   #11
tarosean

If I recall correctly they were 1200 back when they came out... that was a good chunk of change back then
Old March 28, 2012, 03:06 PM   #12
Omaha-BeenGlockin

Still is now too
Old March 28, 2012, 03:29 PM   #13
rcmodel
Contributing Member

Quote:
Was the SPAS 12 a flop
Not so much a flop as it was the U.S. stopped the importing of them under the "no sporting purpose" deal.

Had it not been for that, I think there would have been a heck of a lot more of them here now.

rc
Old March 28, 2012, 04:24 PM   #14
Fred Fuller

there would have been a heck of a lot more of them here now.

And a lot more of them for sale, lightly used...

Only one on GunBroker right now:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=279279978
"Buy Now" price is $1290 for a fixed stock, crossbolt safety version

MINDSET - SKILLSET - TOOLSET - IN THAT ORDER! -with props to COL John Boyd, USAF
http://globalguerrillas.typepad.com/john_boyd/
Old March 28, 2012, 04:44 PM   #15
Kizmo

The SPAS 12 was banned in 1989 as the first act of "conservative" William Bennett when he was appointed to the newly created post of "Drug Czar" by "conservative" President George H.W. Bush. The gun was actually made for 21 years, despite being locked out of the lucrative American gun market, so it's hard to call it a flop. The odds were just stacked against it by "conservatives". I bought one before the ban for around $800 and wouldn't part with it.
Old March 28, 2012, 09:55 PM   #16
FIVETWOSEVEN

The Benelli M3 is a much better pump/auto shotgun and it's lighter, more reliable and I believe it's more reliable.
Why are we allowed to own cars that can go over 100 MPH? Who, besides the military and police, needs to have a race car? Many people die each year from race cars, we don't have a need such high powered cars so they should be banned. Those that own race cars think that they are Vin Diesel and are dangerous to society.
Old March 30, 2012, 03:54 AM   #17
Quiet

During the 1980s, the Franchi SPAS-12 was adopted/in use with several European counter-terror units.
They were replaced during the 1990s by other types of shotguns.

Franchi discontinued the SPAS-12 in the early-1990s.
So, it was only in production for a couple of decades (late-1970s to early-1990s).

The Beretta Holding Group owns Franchi and Benelli.
So when Benelli released the M-3 Super 90, Franchi discontinued the SPAS-12.
Old March 30, 2012, 12:31 PM   #18
bergmen
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bovice View Post
This is O.T. but...

That is one snappy quick draw at 1:21.

Dan
Old March 30, 2012, 12:42 PM   #19
dprice3844444

manual
http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/FIREARMS/spas12.pdf
Old March 30, 2012, 02:17 PM   #20
huntsman

I’ll bet if there were more velociraptors there’d be more SPAS

"Tis better to miss with style,than to hit with bad form"-Colonel Peter Hawker
Old March 30, 2012, 03:01 PM   #21
Owen Sparks

I don't know if it was a flop, but it made a great boat anchor.
Old March 30, 2012, 03:58 PM   #22
SimplyChad

I honestly didnt think it was a real gun. I thought it was just for movies and games. But then agian I was born in 89 so
For every magic bullet, there are times when the magic won't play. Remember, air goes in and out, and blood goes round and round. Anything that stops either one is very bad for the patient's health. Bigger bullet, bigger hole. Drugs can make you superman. More air in and Bleeding out, or having a pneumo or hemothorax ends the superman bit
Old March 30, 2012, 10:51 PM   #23
arizona98tj

My range buddy has one. In all the years we've shot together, he took it to the range one time and that was to show me and his son-in-law. It is complicated to operate, IMO. If folks can mis-operate a pump gun under stress, I would have to see what they would do with a SPAS 12. It is also fricken heavy. I put a couple of rounds through it and gave it back to my buddy. "Been there, done that, skipped the whole t-shirt thing!"
Old March 30, 2012, 11:30 PM   #24
Red Cent

Jim Zubiena

Zubenia actually did a triple tap but the sound sounds like a controlled pair.
I guess you knew he used a Spas on the bad guys?
Life is too short to argue with stupid people and drink cheap booze. SASS #29170L
Strangers are friends ready to happen.
Old March 31, 2012, 06:08 PM   #25
Messenger Guard

I bought one back in the day. Like most who bought one we saw Terminator and had squared off haircuts like Arnold. I have to say even to this day it is impressive to look at. The weight never really bothered me since I wasn't having to hump it in the field. I just broke it out to impress people when they came over to shoot. Comments like, "those aren't legal are they?" were priceless. Trying to figure out how to operate it was also priceless. The manual of arms for this thing was crazy but the application for a grenade launcher and various shot diverters kind of made up for that. Seems like it cost me somewhere between 450-650 back in the day but it's been half my life ago. From a tactical standpoint the LAW 12 or SAS 12 were more sound.