Quantcast
all around semi auto 12 ga - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Shotguns

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old August 16, 2014, 09:59 PM   #1
zooski22

all around semi auto 12 ga

Looking for an all around semi auto 12 ga shotgun. Specifically the Browning maxis, a5 and Remington versamax. We hunt pheasants, grouse, squirrel, ducks, shoot clays ect. Don't have the change to get a couple different shotguns. Looking to upgrade from my Mossberg. Anybody have experience with any of these guns? Anything to steer clear of? Thanks in advance.
Old August 16, 2014, 11:13 PM   #2
Sheepdog1968

I've been thinking the same thing myself. Personally I like the way the new A5s feel and look. The hump back design seems to aid with the bead. I'm leaning that way myself.

I find that 90% of the questions asked here have been answered 20 or more years ago by Jeff Cooper in his Gargantuan Gunsite Gossip books.

Best website I have ever seen regarding gun facts and figures for your discussions with others:

http://www.gunfacts.info/
Old August 16, 2014, 11:36 PM   #3
valkyrie.rider

Ive owned and shot most semi autos and I like Benelli best. The inertia system is great. Id recommend you give them a look.
Old August 17, 2014, 12:09 AM   #4
VA27

I think the 'new' Browning A5 is an inertia gun. Benelli reliability and Browning good looks.

-The NRA is my Union-
Old August 17, 2014, 07:20 AM   #5
toivo

I would say a Beretta 390/3901, but since they don't make 'em anymore ...

Beretta Outlander.

http://www.beretta.com/en-us/a300-outlander-synthetic/
Old August 17, 2014, 09:18 AM   #6
Jaxondog

If that's all you are going to do with it, I would save a lot of money and go with a Rem 1100. Yes I have two of the others mentioned but the 1100 is probably one of the best all around shotguns ever made in my opinion.
Old August 17, 2014, 09:40 AM   #7
Virginian

I will NEVER own another inertia gun, but if you like them I would suggest the Franchi Affinity. You aren't paying for the Benelli "name".
Never liked the original Auto 5 - hated that hump - so the A5 would get no endorsement from me.
I like the VersaMax a lot. May get one when I see what the new wood look version actually looks like. The Berettas are good guns, and the Maxus seems to be doing well, too.
I only have 5 semi auots left; 5 Model 1100s in 3 gauges. I have owned guns from just about all of the other major manufacturers, and shot about everything, but the 1100s do it for me, and have for 51 years.

I would not trust Remington's dating service accuracy as far as I could throw my truck.
Old August 17, 2014, 11:41 AM   #8
rule303

Unless you are a hard core waterfowler, I would skip the Maxus and Versamax. Do yourself a favor and get a lighter 3" chambered gun. No reason to lug around a 3.5" gun for upland game and clays.
Old August 17, 2014, 01:57 PM   #9
oneounceload

Quote:
The hump back design seems to aid with the bead. I'm leaning that way myself.
Unless you are shooting it like a rifle - ala turkey or deer - you shouldn't be looking at any bead at all.

I have two Beretta A400s - the blue target and the green field (3.5") gun. Both handle my 3/4oz reloads on up to some very stout loads with no issues. Excellent guns - not cheap, but reliable and will last a long time

"When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty."
Thomas Jefferson