Quantcast
GATLING GUN with tripod 45LC, cap and ball or blanks - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Social Situations > General Gun Discussions

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old August 12, 2014, 01:39 AM   #1
Twiki357

GATLING GUN with tripod 45LC, cap and ball or blanks

Not to sure where to but this so Mod’s, please move as necessary.

I came across this “For Sale” ad today and wondered if this is actually a legal weapon without ATF registration and permits. The seller doesn’t give any indication. Since it is apparently capable of firing modern 45LC ammunition, would this fall into the machine gun category or AOW or would it be considered an antique (C&R) or reproduction? At $6,000 it's well out of my price range so my question is strictly out of curiosity.

http://prescott.backpage.com/SportsE...lanks/28575808
Old August 12, 2014, 01:53 AM   #2
rcmodel

No, a hand cranked Gatling gun, regardless of caliber below .50", is not a machine-gun or destructive device in the eyes of the law.

If you attach a electric or hydraulic motor operated by a push button or valve, it does become one.

A crank is fine.
A motor, or trigger / push button firing more then one shot per pull or push isn't.

rc
Old August 12, 2014, 07:20 AM   #3
Sam1911

Yup. Hand-cranked gatling guns are just normal firearms. (Technically an "other firearm" on the 4473 form.)

And $6,000 is probably a steal!

"...with liberty and justice for all." (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states.)
-D. Stanhope

Sights Practical Shooters -- IDPA

My Knife Showroom
Old August 12, 2014, 07:29 AM   #4
Mp7

a true

... home defense rifle :-)
Old August 12, 2014, 08:38 AM   #5
Justin

WANT
Monthly Colorado Tactical Rifle Match
I don't understand the use of multiple question marks. Does the use of more than one somehow make your question all the more inquisitive?
Three guns and one goes off. One's empty. One's not quick enough. -Alt J Δ, Tesselate
Old August 12, 2014, 01:32 PM   #6
Arkansas Paul

That is so cool.

I didn't know one could be had for that price. Still out of my range, but much more reasonable than I thought.
Old August 12, 2014, 02:21 PM   #7
Malamute

Colt shows Gatlings on their web site.

http://www.colt.com/Catalog/SpecialE...atlingGun.aspx

"...always endeavour to raise your own standards."
Arfin Greebly

Isn't it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Old August 12, 2014, 02:53 PM   #8
MagnumDweeb

Gatling style guns are good to go so long as you don't live in a state with limits on magazine capacities (you can't buy "antique" Gatling drums in California).

My dream build for when I get a real mill (not just a Gris Mini-mill) is a double barrel Garnder gun in 45-70. I worked out my own crank and firing mechanisms as the old design was needlessly intricate and over complex. A great design in its day but there are simpler, sturdier, and much more easily accomplish mechanisms for crank fired and operate purposes.

I thought about a puck gun since its flint lock and technically considered a muzzle loader (meaning you can go larger than .50 [not legal advice, do at your own risk]). But the safest device I come up with turns in to a large breach fed multi-barrel design (each load has its own barrel). At that point I might as well pony up and build a Militareuse variant. Using paper cartridges with potassium chlorate kernels in the rear of the paper cartridge.

The sooner we go Neville Chamberlain on this the sooner they'll go Adolf Hitler on something else. Compromise buys us nothing but emboldened enemies. Let them come, let us politic, let us see the wolves in sheep's clothing so we know who not to vote for.

Every penny they pour into the fight is one they will likely have to match. The fiercer our resolve the more likely they'll look for something else easier to desecrate the Constitution about. And should they turn their backs, we should strike for more restoration of the 2nd Amendment.
Old August 12, 2014, 08:35 PM   #9
Officers'Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiki357 View Post
Not to sure where to but this so Mod’s, please move as necessary.

I came across this “For Sale” ad today and wondered if this is actually a legal weapon without ATF registration and permits. The seller doesn’t give any indication. Since it is apparently capable of firing modern 45LC ammunition, would this fall into the machine gun category or AOW or would it be considered an antique (C&R) or reproduction? At $6,000 it's well out of my price range so my question is strictly out of curiosity.

http://prescott.backpage.com/SportsE...lanks/28575808
It's legal in most jurisdictions, your state may have qualms about you having it though.

Should you ever see it face to face check just in front of the crank and a little above. If you see a makers mark that is a circle with a lightning bolt through it I can tell you much about the person that made it.
they are tired of living!

If you need this message in another language, move to a country that speaks it.
Old August 12, 2014, 09:31 PM   #10
scaatylobo

30-06 gatling gun

Came across a 30-06 gatling gun at a gun show in Niagara Falls NY about 30 years ago.

It was totally legal,and the owner wanted to sell it because he and his son were wasting too much ammo ,playing with it.

Used 100 round stick mags's and he wanted 3 K for it then.

I seriously thought about it,but that was a stretch for my account AND it was a "bit" heavy.

Still think of all the fun [ and ammo ] that I could have had with her.
Old August 14, 2014, 10:12 AM   #11
kayak-man

My Subaru NEEDS this!

Just curiosus, if you converted it to cap and ball, how would that work? Would you just fire a "burst" of one round per barrel, or is there some intricate loading system I'm unaware of?

Quote:
No, a hand cranked Gatling gun, regardless of caliber below .50", is not a machine-gun or destructive device in the eyes of the law.

If you attach a electric or hydraulic motor operated by a push button or valve, it does become one.

A crank is fine.
A motor, or trigger / push button firing more then one shot per pull or push isn't.

rc
So, hypothetically, what if you had a hand crank and a trigger? The crank causes the barrels to rotate, but it doesn't actually fire without the trigger being depressed? If that is legal, but you switched to a foot pedal and trigger system would that still be kosher? What about a gearing any flywheel system that allowed you to crank it and build up momentum, then stop cranking and use the inertia to operate the mechanism for say 2-3 revolutions?
Old August 14, 2014, 10:17 AM   #12
Sam1911

Quote:
So, hypothetically, what if you had a hand crank and a trigger? The crank causes the barrels to rotate, but it doesn't actually fire without the trigger being depressed? If that is legal, but you switched to a foot pedal and trigger system would that still be kosher? What about a gearing any flywheel system that allowed you to crank it and build up momentum, then stop cranking and use the inertia to operate the mechanism for say 2-3 revolutions?
Almost certainly, "no." The ATF has agreed to consider a partial turn of the crank to be equivalent to one operation of the trigger. Something that stores mechanical inertia and lets you release a burst of shots (powered by the stored energy in that flywheel) with one pull of the trigger wouldn't be any different from a chemical system that let you store electricity in a battery and unleash a burst of shots (powered by an electrical motor) with one pull of the trigger. Or a spring, or whatever else.

"...with liberty and justice for all." (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states.)
-D. Stanhope

Sights Practical Shooters -- IDPA

My Knife Showroom
Old August 14, 2014, 10:32 AM   #13
RetiredUSNChief

I've seen the Gatling on the Colt site. However, it says "dealer inquiries only", so I don't even bother.

Here's a gunbroker link to someone selling new .45 Gatlings:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=434497477

Starting bid $6549.

If I WAS going to buy a centerfire Gatling, it would be in .45 ACP. At least I wouldn't have to pay .45-70 prices or some other more expensive ammo.

A .22 LR Gatling would be REALLY cool, though...and I haven't seen one anywhere near what I would consider affordable.

So the Gatling hasn't knocked my next planned purchase down a notch on my list o' guns to get.

I'm the guy with a cannon, too: http://youtu.be/X6xhYELYVDw
Old August 14, 2014, 11:51 AM   #14
rugerman

Last time I checked Dixie Gun works had a couple of different gatlin guns for sale, out of my price range but neat. I couldn't afford to keep one feed.
I just looked , Dixie has a 22lr gatling gun for 15,000 and a 45-70 for $45000 .

Last edited by rugerman; August 14, 2014 at 11:57 AM.
Old August 14, 2014, 07:30 PM   #15
The Lone Haranguer

A Gatling gun is a rapid-fire gun, not automatic fire and therefore not a machine gun. A machine gun uses recoil or gas from the previous cartridge to eject the case and feed the next cartridge. It fires as long as you hold down the trigger and there are cartridges to feed. A Gatling individually and mechanically feeds and fires each cartridge in separate operations. It also - as with the machine gun - only works with self-contained cartridges, so cannot be a cap-and-ball.
Old August 14, 2014, 08:14 PM   #16
Midwest

I guess someone could build a Gatling Gun for personal use if someone had the money, means, talent and the tool shop. Did anyone ever build a 'home made' version? Could someone build one for less than $2000? Just curious...
Looking for "ghost guns" which shoot "heat seeking bullets that cook animals" with "more thrusts per squeeze" using "magazines that can only be used once" featuring "the shoulder thing that goes up" and "assault weapons that can be bought at a store without a NICS check".

Old August 14, 2014, 08:27 PM   #17
Deltaboy

We had a guy build one for Civil War reenactments it fires paper cartridges . I don't know what he spent but he is a master machinist.