Quantcast
Best 22 lr ammo to start with? - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Social Situations > General Gun Discussions

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old January 28, 2015, 05:31 PM   #1
Maine Guide

Best 22 lr ammo to start with?

Hi,

I want to Target shoot with my CZ 452 at 50, 75 and 100 yards. I know I will have to see what shoots best for me in this particular firearm. That said, what seems to be the predominant choice for this gun, and where is a good place to order from online. I see a ton of places, but could use some advice as to where everyone has been satisfied with service and price. I appreciate any help so I can get shooting.

Thanks,
Maine Guide
Old January 28, 2015, 06:00 PM   #2
Johnny_B_Goode

No one has 22LR ammo all the time at a fair price. Use www.ammoseek.com to look for bargains. When you see a good deal on 22LR ammo do not delay placing your order. Even with a cap on the number of boxes of ammo an individual can buy 22LR ammo is gone in a day.
Old January 28, 2015, 06:14 PM   #3
22-rimfire

I would suggest you give CCI standard velocity a try if you can find it. It tends to shoot pretty well in the 452. For just general shooting, I tend to use Federal Lightnings (#510's) the most. Still hard to find 22 ammo with any consistancy and when you do find it, it is frequently bulk packs or higher priced stuff.
Old January 28, 2015, 07:03 PM   #4
MrBorland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Guide
I would suggest you give CCI standard velocity a try if you can find it.
This.

While each of my rimfires might have something it shoots best, CCI SV shoots pretty darned good in all them. It'd be a very good place to start, IMO.

Where to find it? .22 ammo is still tough to find, so I'd just use your Google fu to see if you can find some. I find some locally here and there, but it takes some regular checking.

Last edited by MrBorland; January 28, 2015 at 07:09 PM.
Old January 28, 2015, 07:13 PM   #5
redneck2

I went thru the same thing with my 453 Varminter. I asked around and the most common response for the CZ was Wolf Match Extra. I've use a lot of different types, and the Wolf gives best groups by far. I can get .2's at 50 yards.

FWIW....it seems to take between 100 and 200 rounds to get the barrel settled in. I'd get something cheap and run at least a hundred of that first before using the better stuff

Last edited by redneck2; January 28, 2015 at 07:32 PM.
Old January 28, 2015, 07:17 PM   #6
orionengnr

At this point, I would buy whatever I could find.
With luck, you will end up with several different types.

Unless you are a good, experienced shooter, you may have some difficulty attributing relative accuracy of different ammo types to the rifle, the ammo, etc.

In the mean time, get some ammo (whatever it may be) and enjoy.
Old January 28, 2015, 07:18 PM   #7
22-rimfire

No question that the Wolf Match Extra tends to shoot pretty well. I keep the match target around and I can get 0.2's at 50 yds with that at times. As you know, you will just have to do some experimenting and see what works best that is available at a price you're comfortable with. I seldom do the 100 yd thing with 22LR.

I have purchased a lot of CCI standard velocity LR at Dicks. Have not been inside a Dicks in a good while, but that was my dominant local source.
Old January 28, 2015, 07:47 PM   #8
davepool

I've been trying to find the most accurate 22LR for my Savage mark ll TR, tried several brands from bulk to premium match ammo. This target is with RWS R100, so far it's in the top three, but it's stupid expensive, 17.50 a box from Midway. My friends CZ 452 will do the same with this ammo.

This 10 shot target was with bulk CCI Blazer that i weighed. Fired through a clean barrel at 50 yards, after the 3 flyers(fouling shots) the other seven made a big hole.

My friend prefers CCI standard and mini mag for his 452 cause he's not as dumb as me and won't pay 17.50 for RWS
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional,illogical minority,and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous Press which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end
Old January 28, 2015, 07:52 PM   #9
silicosys4

If you see federal auto match around, don't be afraid to try it either. CCI SV is decently accurate in my guns, but auto match is a tad better IME.
Old January 28, 2015, 09:35 PM   #10
earplug

This place

.22 Benchrest Supplies - KSS
www.killoughshootingsports.com

They have a range and sell the stuff your may want.
Old January 28, 2015, 09:46 PM   #11
mboylan

Yeah. Ignore American made ammo. SK Standard+ and Wolf MT are the same exact ammo and a good place to start. Norma TAC is readily available and most lots work very well. If you want to step up to some higher priced stuff, Lapua Center X is a good place to start.
Old January 29, 2015, 12:02 AM   #12
Cee Zee

If you want top accuracy look at Eley ammo. Match EPS is a good choice. The real top shooters mostly use Tenex. It's expensive. If you can find it Federal Gold Medal Match Ultra is very, very good but they have quit making it. They do have several imitations of it with slightly different names at inflated prices. They are nowhere near as good as the original. RWS makes good ammo. Wolf was making great ammo about 4 years ago. They have dropped off significantly IMO.

BTW shooting with a clean barrel is generally not the best route to go. A barrel needs to be lubed by .22 ammo. And mixing lubes can lead to problems. I don't count the first 25 rounds I shoot when I switch brands or types. It takes that long for the lube from the ammo to lube the barrel correctly for that particular ammo. These are nitpicking things that will make the difference in the long run between who shoots in competitions and who wins them. I have won 13 out of the last 15 contests I was in but I haven't shot in one for a while. There isn't enough ammo around to practice correctly.

Also I use CCI SV to practice quite often. It's not the best ammo but it's good and it's consistent and unlike most ammo it seems to shoot well in about every rifle I try it in.
Old January 29, 2015, 07:30 AM   #13
bannockburn

Wolf Match Target and CCI Mini Mags have been consistently reliable and accurate in nearly all of my .22 handguns and rifles.
Old January 29, 2015, 08:33 AM   #14
Flintknapper

Wolf Match and several others shoot well from my CZ 455 Varmint.

You might pose this same question over at Rimfire Central, or just 'search' that site for more input.
Old January 29, 2015, 10:59 AM   #15
22-rimfire

Quote:
If you want top accuracy look at Eley ammo. Match EPS is a good choice. The real top shooters mostly use Tenex. It's expensive. If you can find it Federal Gold Medal Match Ultra is very, very good but they have quit making it. They do have several imitations of it with slightly different names at inflated prices. They are nowhere near as good as the original. RWS makes good ammo. Wolf was making great ammo about 4 years ago. They have dropped off significantly IMO.

BTW shooting with a clean barrel is generally not the best route to go. A barrel needs to be lubed by .22 ammo. And mixing lubes can lead to problems. I don't count the first 25 rounds I shoot when I switch brands or types. It takes that long for the lube from the ammo to lube the barrel correctly for that particular ammo. These are nitpicking things that will make the difference in the long run between who shoots in competitions and who wins them. I have won 13 out of the last 15 contests I was in but I haven't shot in one for a while. There isn't enough ammo around to practice correctly.

Also I use CCI SV to practice quite often. It's not the best ammo but it's good and it's consistent and unlike most ammo it seems to shoot well in about every rifle I try it in.
That is pretty much the way I see things although it may not take 25 rounds.... but certainly that is a good way to be sure.

I do like to shoot nice tight groups, but I am unwilling to pay the prices for real target ammunition. I do keep some around however. If you want to generalize, the more you pay, the more consistant the groups will be from a rifle that "likes" that particular ammo (brand, lot#, and so forth). But sometimes you get lucky and CCI SV is one of the ones that many get lucky with.
Old January 29, 2015, 11:11 AM   #16
Doc7

I suggest not buying anything in bulk right now. visit all the LGS you have in range if any have some (I am incredibly lucky to live near an LGS that actually has had 22 for several months now - I understand most are not so lucky yet, and the Walmart and Dick's sporting goods across the street still have nothing) and buy a 50 or 100 round box of as any kinds as you can.

My Marlin Model 60 only shoots standard CCI worth a darn with High Velocity all over the place. I have not yet found a load I am happy with for my Marlin bolt action rifle as I got it during the last panic and still have not been able to try more than 3 kinds of ammo in it.
Old January 29, 2015, 12:02 PM   #17
snorko

Another vote for Wolf Match. I have had good luck with it and CCI SV. Target below is from my CZ 452 Varmint , 3 shots at 50 yards.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4 CZ 452 3 shots 50 yardsVarmint.jpg (121.3 KB, 10 views)
Old January 29, 2015, 01:05 PM   #18
12Bravo20

1+ for trying CCI

With that being said, we all know how 22 rifles can be very picky about ammo (even 2 identical rifles off the assembly line). I suggest trying different brands/types to find out what your rifle likes best.

I just got a Savage BTVLSS and it loves CCI AR Tactical ammo (only CCI I have at this time). I tried Federal Champion 745, 510 and AM22 and my rifle didn't like it. 5 shot groups looked like I shot the target with a load of .410 buckshot. Yet all the mentioned Federal Champion ammo shoots very good in my other .22 rifles.
Old January 29, 2015, 03:59 PM   #19
Johnny_B_Goode

It is not specific type of ammo you are looking for Mane Guide it is a specific velocity you are looking for with a 40 gr bullet. The velocity sweet spot for the 22LR is around 1050 fps. When a 22LR bullet breaks the speed of sound it ever so slightly changes the bullets path in an unpredictable manner. 1050 fps is fast enough to reach the target without the bullet being battered by the wind and produce enough recoil to make semi auto rifles function properly without breaking the speed of sound. Generally CCI standard velocity shoots best in most rifles. But any ammo with a similar velocity and lubed bullet (lubed bullets leave a black spot on your fingers) may shoot the best in your rifle

Last edited by Johnny_B_Goode; January 29, 2015 at 04:07 PM.
Old January 29, 2015, 04:17 PM   #20
Cee Zee

Quote:
I do like to shoot nice tight groups, but I am unwilling to pay the prices for real target ammunition. I do keep some around however.
I'm willing to pay for the top stuff but for some reason my wife isn't willing to let me. I'm like you. I keep some of the really good stuff around but I don't shoot it often. The thing is that the only ammo available a lot is Tenex and the Match EPS. For a long time the price on both stayed at pre-panic prices but the Match EPS has gone up some now. I tell you what though, when I see Wolf going for $90 a brick and when I could still get Match EPS for $110 a brick I would go for the Eley stuff every time. But to be honest I had a pretty good stockpile when the panic started (I ordered a case of CCI SV like 4 days before Sandy Hook) so I've only shot up what I could replace since then and that hasn't been nearly enough to stay in practice IMO. So I don't even bother with competitions now. I'd hate to shoot really bad because I haven't practiced in over 2 years. I'm glad I didn't go ahead and shoot up what I had. I never dreamed the shortage would last this long and I'm getting sick of it to be honest. It's making me think about selling out my rimfire rifles except for maybe one or two to use as varmint buster (one for the night and one for the day) and buy myself a really nice AR. I hate to do it because I spent a long time putting together what I wanted but without ammo they aren't good for much except maybe a lampt stand or something.
Old January 29, 2015, 04:41 PM   #21
ColtPythonElite

I own several CZ'S and have either shot or seen shot at least 2 dozen more using a good rest, rear bag and 50 yard benchrest target. It seems that most do really well with low end target ammo like Wolf or SK. I haven't seen any that shot leaps and bounds better groups consistently with higher end ammo. It seems like there is a flyer in every box when it comes to sporters...Sure, some one may show you a tiny group or really good scoring target, but they fail to show you all the ones that weren't so great....Sporter weight guns are tough to get to shoot and/or to shoot consistently. Sure, they are darn accurate as a general .22 rifle, but can't hold a candle to a true bench gun.
Old January 29, 2015, 05:12 PM   #22
Cee Zee

Quote:
I haven't seen any that shot leaps and bounds better groups consistently with higher end ammo.
I sure have. But it wasn't Tenex that made my rifles sing. Match EPS works great though. It is far more accurate than the Wolf I have. I've even thought about selling my Wolf because I bought 4-5 bricks in a rown that were inferior to what I had been seeing from Wolf. For a while I got hit or miss results then it was all bad.

That's when I discovered Match EPS worked great. Then I found out that the stuff Federal made that helped the US win a gold in a shooting sport in the Olympics a while back was easily the best ammo I've shot. It is very consistent and very accurate. It also costs about $20 a box (not a brick - a box). I have a few boxes. I have a good bit of Tenex someone gave me and I have some Match EPS. If I had to win a shooting match I'd go with the Federal every time.

I have been most surprised by Tenex though. I've only had one rimfire that shot it better than other ammo. And even then it wasn't better than what I got from other ammo in other rifles. I gave away the rifle that liked the Tenex. It wasn't that accurate no matter what I put in it but it did do it's best with Tenex.
Old January 29, 2015, 05:31 PM   #23
ColtPythonElite

I am familiar with the Federal Olympic ammo. It was Ultra Match, but not the crap they make today in an orange box, which I believe us rebadged R50... I have a friend who still find the old blue/gray boxed Ultra Match and does well with it out of his 40x.
Old January 29, 2015, 06:07 PM   #24
Cee Zee

Quote:
I am familiar with the Federal Olympic ammo. It was Ultra Match, but not the crap they make today in an orange box
Exactly. They label some other stuff almost identical to the good stuff and give it a slightly different name and try to sell it for more than it's worth. Gotta love those marketing guys who think the path to making money is to get over on their customers for the next quarter and to heck with the next 5 years. They had something really special and they squandered it on the quick buck and I bet they didn't even make that much. I knew better than to buy anything with a different name because I know how US companies like to do things. You don't see that as much with European countries who are more concerned with building a real brand and making money over the long haul. The Japanese also take the long view but of course they aren't making ammo and selling it.

It would be like building an M1A1 tank and making it great in every way then discontinuing that model and instead selling a N1A1 tank that was junk. How long before people don't trust you when you act like that?
Old January 29, 2015, 06:26 PM   #25
Teachu2

I got two bricks of CCI SV last week from Midway. They have some of the more pricey stuff available.

http://www.midwayusa.com/shop/rimfir...ion/ammunition