Quantcast
Chris Kyle's Widow, Taya, Outshoots World Champion - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Social Situations > General Gun Discussions

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old March 31, 2016, 10:21 AM   #1
Bart B.

Chris Kyle's Widow, Taya, Outshoots World Champion

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2015/12/...-champion.html

Three cheers for Taya who used:

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2015/11/...ree-rifle.html
USN Distinguished Marksman #153
Old March 31, 2016, 10:25 AM   #2
ATLDave

While I quite like Ms. Kyle, congratulating her for this victory is like saying the guy who plugged in Watson beat Ken Jennings at Jeopardy.
Old March 31, 2016, 11:21 AM   #3
doubleh

Um, technology beat Mr. Piatt, not skill. I don't have a thing against Ms. Kyle and her foundation. It's just the way it was presented.
Old March 31, 2016, 11:31 AM   #4
Carl N. Brown

Well, it was meant to be a demonstration of the superiority of the system developed with input from Chris Kyle.

I suspect that Taya Kyle would have prior knowledge from living and interacting with Kris to use that system better than I would even if the system itself is an advantage.
Old March 31, 2016, 11:49 AM   #5
loose noose

Sounds more like a donation to Chris Kyles Foundation than any type of competition. I'm sure that NRA champion definitely knew what he was up against.
Old March 31, 2016, 12:08 PM   #6
rodregier

With the advant of the TrackingPoint system, I wonder if there will be a push for even more accurate ammunition which could become the new limiting factor on such a system?
Old March 31, 2016, 12:48 PM   #7
yugorpk

I'm getting lost in the ad hype. What is this thing? Just an electronic scope attached to an over priced rifle? ?
Old March 31, 2016, 01:23 PM   #8
rodregier

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TrackingPoint
Old March 31, 2016, 01:35 PM   #9
yugorpk

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodregier View Post
So its an electronic scope with a ballistics computer hooked up to a trigger solenoid attached to an over priced rifle. .
Old March 31, 2016, 01:50 PM   #10
rodregier

I think it also reads the wind at distance, can network the display elsewhere and permits setting up a target lock and releasing the firing pin when the tracked object is at the right location.

So pressing the trigger is the "Launch permission" that gets acted upon only when proper target alignment is achieved. So much more than a ballistics computer.
Old March 31, 2016, 02:08 PM   #11
Walkalong

Wow! Very cool.

"Oh bother" said Pooh, as he chambered another round. Author unknown.
Old March 31, 2016, 05:38 PM   #12
Warp

That is fancy stuff.

I want it of course.

“In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing."
― Theodore Roosevelt
Old March 31, 2016, 05:42 PM   #13
FROGO207

Bill Murray needed one of those in Caddyshack. It is amazing what technology is giving us these days is it not?
Old March 31, 2016, 08:42 PM   #14
Poper

Quote:
Originally Posted by yugorpk View Post
So its an electronic scope with a ballistics computer hooked up to a trigger solenoid attached to an over priced rifle. .
Is there a purpose in your repeated attempts to denigrate this superior fire control system?
It appears to me such a weapon could easily pay for itself over its useful life with the conservation of ammunition alone. When everything you point it at dies, the "spray and pray" tactic becomes instantly obsolete. According to GAO, 250,000 rounds are expended for every insurgent killed. How many of these new rifles can be purchased with that savings?
https://jonathanturley.org/2011/01/1...urgent-killed/

Also, apparently, it doesn't take a heck of a lot of training to use it efficiently, either.
Old April 1, 2016, 07:55 AM   #15
Branko_D

Really nice system.
Old April 1, 2016, 08:12 AM   #16
rodregier

Hopefully interested buyers have deep pockets:

from the TrackingPoint Wikipedia page:

"Bolt-action systems cost between $12,995 and $27,500 and are available in .338 Lapua Magnum, 300 Winchester Magnum and 308 Winchester. Semi-automatic systems cost between $7,495 and $18,995 and are available in 7.62 NATO, 5.56 NATO and 300WM."

I doubt it's hardened against EMP but then again other electro-optical sights probably are not either.
Old April 1, 2016, 08:16 AM   #17
rodregier

Stephen Hunter has a nice piece of fiction with a similar system as one of the major plot elements. Rather neat naming tie-in to Apple product naming convention of iPhone, iPod etc.

I, Sniper (Bob Lee Swagger Novels)

http://www.amazon.com/Sniper-Bob-Lee.../dp/1416565175
Old April 1, 2016, 09:17 PM   #18
orionengnr

Kind of discouraging to think that The Sniper of the Future may be a 54-year old lard-ass who's blind in one eye and can't hear out of the other....or a twelve-year-old pimply faced geek who has never fired a rifle...and who can't miss, due to his superior electronics.

Of course, that is the direction life is taking us. Some of us lament that Formula 1 cars now incorporate so many electronic aids that the guy with the best technology wins, whether or not he is the best driver.

Slowly and deliberately excise the human element from every field of human endeavor; and in so doing, remove any incentive to work hard and excel.

In my lifetime, we have moved increasingly towards depending on automation and technology, and that is a double-edged sword.

Remember Vietnam, and our high-tech F-101s, F-105s, F-4s, etc? The enemy, with poorly-trained pilots, simple Mig 15s and 17s, and some primitive SAMs made our lives Hell.

Parallels exist with the AK versus AR discussion, and those arguments continue to the present day.

When one depends entirely upon automation and removes the human element, one surrenders all control of the outcome....

Just sayin'...put Kyle Busch in his backup car, give me his qualifying ride. Four lap race, give me two laps lead...and wave a caution after a lap. I think I got him covered.

Stack the deck high enough, and there is no recovery.
Old April 1, 2016, 09:50 PM   #19
MaterDei

I don't at all understand all the negativity and fear. At one point in our history the earliest flintlock firearms were the modern arms causing the fear and making all of the great, and not so great, swordsmen of the time bad mouth the new technology.

I can guarantee you that as time goes on and these new technologies become more mainstream and more affordable they will be embraced by most of us.

There will always be, of course, the folks that like older technologies like non-electronic optics and iron sights just as today there are folks that like swords and black powder.

In my mind it is all good unless of course my enemy is pointing one of these at me in which case I will really wish I had one.
GOA Life Member
Old April 1, 2016, 10:37 PM   #20
orionengnr

Please point out the "negativity and fear" for those of us who don't see it...

I think you have totally missed the point.

Maybe I should just say "never mind" and move on.
Old April 2, 2016, 09:04 AM   #21
Double Naught Spy

What a bogus competition, really just a publicity stunt for a company coming out of bankruptcy. Piatt wasn't going to win, no matter what. One stage was geared to where the gun had to be shot blind around a corner, which you can't do well with a standard rifle, but you can we electronic wifi rifles. However, there was no stage for when you have dead batteries, LOL.

Quote:
Hopefully interested buyers have deep pockets:
Not only deep pockets, but the realization that they may own a lemon for which they may have trouble repairing in the future. No doubt Taya's rifle was tested and everything was 100% perfect, but that hasn't been the case for a bunch of previous owners. QC seems to be a real issue with the product line and hence while the technology is capable of doing a lot of things, whether or not a given rifle does is a whole other matter. Staff and management turnovers also have NOT been good for the company or its product, between firings/layoffs, quits, and disputes within the company.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/...nd-relaunches/
http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/11/87...-rifle-company

As for the fear of surrendering control, Trackingpoint systems are hackable.
http://www.wired.com/2015/07/hackers...change-target/
Old April 2, 2016, 11:15 AM   #22
rodregier

...or a stage with a Wifi jammer running.

I like technology, but with technology comes the possibility of failure due to complexity or counter-measures.