Quantcast
Caleb's first deer. - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Shooting Activities and Venues > Hunting

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old December 4, 2011, 11:05 PM   #1
jbkebert

Caleb's first deer.

Well my youngest son Caleb whom is 11 years old got his first deer this evening. He missed out on hunting last year. The first day we could go out none of his coveralls or boots fit. Dang kids and growing all the time. We had bought it all new early spring on closeout. Then he caught a cold and had to sit the rifle season out.

So tonight we redeemed ourselves. We headed out north of the house to set up for a evening of sitting and waiting. About 65 yards from where we wanted to set up there were two does. Luck was with us and they did not spot us approaching. We crouched down in some brome grass and took a look. Caleb told me he would rather wait for a buck. No problem with me. Funny enough there was a private airplane flying over us fairly low at the time. I think the pilot spotted us the two bright orange spots and the deer standing in a clearing. He flew past and then turned round and came back in pretty low. Not sure if he was trying to bust us or trying to watch. Anyway he scared the two does off. I was pissed at the time but hey got the does away so we could set up where we intended to without getting busted.

Nothing much happened for a while. Just sat back and watched some squirrels make as much noise as possible. At roughly 5:30 this young buck popped out into the open. Caleb spotted him right away. He looked at me and asked if it was alright. I gave the go ahead.

Caleb is not fully able to manipulate a rifle steady enough to shoot without a rest. So I helped support the forend of the rifle as he took aim. The buck was moving from left to right at around 92 yards. When Caleb has a good sight picture I let out a Maapp. Which brought insane hushed laughter from my son who lost the sight picture all together. We tried to set back up but the buck moved out of our shooting lane and into some high brome grass. We quickly moved over about 10 yards and there was a branch low enough to make a good rest.

When the buck cleared the patch of brome he was headed towards us and closing in quick. It what seemed like an enternity Caleb got back on target and squeezed off the shot. Not a great shot presentation by any means but Caleb handled it like a pro. I had told him and we practiced shooting the pocket. Yet the pocket was not there so he neck shot the buck. This is a shot I have kinda forbid the kids from taking. Yet from 39 yards head on not much else to offer. The .243 win barked and the buck was on the ground. A true bang flop.

After some high fives and congrats we were in the process of picking up our things to claim his prize. I real nice 8 point stepped out at 80 yards. I put him in the scope and flicked the safety off. I just whispered bang and unloaded my rifle. Time to enjoy this with my son instead of just popping another deer. I have a tag to fill but there is plenty of time yet for another day. We called the taxidermist and will drop of tomorrow evening. Not huge by anymeans but still his first.

Last edited by jbkebert; December 5, 2011 at 11:34 PM. Reason: I really really need a spell check button :)
Old December 5, 2011, 06:59 AM   #2
critter

Congratulations to your son. He will never forget that experience.

Good move on your part to not shoot the other deer-right then.
Old December 5, 2011, 07:39 AM   #3
wolf695

Way to go! Hopefully the first of many more!
Old December 5, 2011, 08:29 AM   #4
bikerdoc

Take pride in being a good Dad. With you as his dad Thats going to be a fantastic young man.

I only have so many heartbeats left. I am not wasting them on things that are not fun.
VCDL, member, Curmudgeon
Old December 5, 2011, 08:37 AM   #5
WayBeau

Good job! Can't wait until my son, and daughter if she wants to and mom will let her, are old enough to go with me.
Old December 5, 2011, 01:20 PM   #6
Smokey Joe

Yes!!!

JB Kebert--You said
Quote:
I just wispered bang and unloaded my rifle. Time to enjoy this with my son instead of just popping another deer.
You, sir, are a real sportsman and father. You are Doing It Right.

Good on Caleb. Good on Dad. ;-})

Smokey Joe
Old December 5, 2011, 01:45 PM   #7
retrieverman

AWESOME!!!!!
Old December 5, 2011, 08:31 PM   #8
jbkebert

Hey thanks for the replies all.

Just got back from dropping the buck off with the taxidermist. This dudes bass boat gets nicer and nicer every year. Yet I sure don't mind when it comes to things like this.

Last edited by jbkebert; December 5, 2011 at 09:31 PM.
Old December 5, 2011, 09:28 PM   #9
surjimmy

That smile says it all. Outstanding.
Old December 5, 2011, 11:28 PM   #10
Country Boy 14

That's AWESOME!
Old December 6, 2011, 11:42 AM   #11
MARKMALL

Great job Caleb !!!!!!!!
Old December 8, 2011, 10:28 PM   #12
Alleph

That's a Million dollar smile , frame that pic.
Old December 8, 2011, 10:39 PM   #13
BIGR

Nice job and now we have another lifetime deer hunter.
Old December 8, 2011, 10:56 PM   #14
Liberty1776

That is just fantastic. I hope someday to have experiences like that with a grandson or three. (I've got 3 right now...)
Old December 8, 2011, 11:11 PM   #15
jbkebert

Liberty1776

I sure hope you get to. Both of my boys have gotten deer now. My two girls are chomping at the bit waiting their turn. However they are 5 and 6 so a few more seasons to wait. No better feeling in the world.

Here is my oldest son's first deer. http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=476196

I wish I would of gotten more pics of Caleb before the sun went down. There were already alot of deer moving this being Dec instead of Sept. Caleb doesn't do real great with heights so we were sitting on the ground instead of a stand. I don't think their is a prouder papa than I am of my 4 children. Keigan says he has given up rifle hunting now that he has shot two bucks. He has moved to the ranks of bowhunting. He has not connected yet but was able to come to full draw on a doe. She didn't give him a good clean shot so he let up. I think that shows alot of maturity for a 12 year old.

Last edited by jbkebert; December 8, 2011 at 11:27 PM.
Old December 11, 2011, 06:09 AM   #16
41 Mag

Congrats to your son!!!

You have every right to be proud. My daughter got her first at 9, and last year my oldest grandson got his first buck at 9 also using the same 25-06. His two younger brothers are also pulling on the reins to get out and get them one. They still have a year or so to go yet.

41 Mag's - Photobucket Page
Old December 11, 2011, 07:49 PM   #17
351 WINCHESTER

Congratulations to you and your son. I will always treasure being with my youngest when he got his first buck. He was 16. My boy's hunt S.C. now and their freezers are overflowing and the old man hasn't seen a buck this year in Fl.
Old December 11, 2011, 08:31 PM   #18
Legionnaire

Great story ... great pictures ... great smile! Congratulations to both of you!
Old December 12, 2011, 12:59 AM   #19
bigrico92

Congratulations! thats a nice first.

O and what rifle is that?
Old December 12, 2011, 08:06 AM   #20
jbkebert

^^^

T/C Encore pro-hunter in .243 winchester Begara barrel.
Old December 13, 2011, 04:50 PM   #21
T.R.

I started out deer hunting with a Winchester 30-30. But in 1968, Dad brought home a Remington 760 in .243 and that rifle quickly became first choice for me. Still hunt with it and love it!

Your son is a superb rifle shot!!

TR
Old March 21, 2015, 07:36 PM   #22
Deerhunter5885

Good job
Old March 22, 2015, 08:58 PM   #23
SmokingFrye

Awesome! There's no greater joy for a young boy and no greater pride for a father.
Old March 23, 2015, 09:16 AM   #24
Loyalist Dave

I LIKE that he has a single shot Encore...teach him to make the first shot count, and it did! Well done young man...

LD
Old March 23, 2015, 10:15 AM   #25
TimSr

Love to see the young guys have success. My son got his first deer at 11. It was a button buck. We had it mounted, and its in his room today. He is 20 now.

I guess all kids are different, but I have never regretted spending the money to have his first deer mounted without regards to its size.