Quantcast
Best AKS/AKMS underfolder for the money - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Rifle Country

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old October 9, 2014, 05:57 PM   #1
Carolina Kalash

Best AKS/AKMS underfolder for the money

I'm looking at getting another AK to go with my wasr here in a few months and want something a bit different, so i thought "why not an underfolder?" i know the stock isn't the most comfortable to shoot with but i just love the look of underfolders (and all other AK's ) i've looked around online a good bit and have seen many different varieties of underfolders, i just want to know what yall think is the best one for the money that isn't more than about $1000, milled or stamped

Proud owner of:
-WASR 10/63
-Mosin-Nagant 91/30 (1943 Izhevsk)

R.I.P. Mikhail Kalashnikov
Old October 9, 2014, 08:54 PM   #2
jonnyc

I think the Yugo U/F is the best. And I actually prefer an U/F stock to the standard wood variety.
Old October 9, 2014, 09:02 PM   #3
Carolina Kalash

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyc View Post
I think the Yugo U/F is the best. And I actually prefer an U/F stock to the standard wood variety.
Underfolder N-PAPs or actual M70s? the price of both looks to be around the same

Proud owner of:
-WASR 10/63

Old October 10, 2014, 12:38 AM   #4
Carolina Kalash

One rifle in particular that has caught my eye are these Hungarian AK63Ds, which after looking on gunbroker and a few other places, it seems that while most of these have milled recievers, there are a few of these with stamped recievers

http://www.jgsales.com/cai-ak63d-ak-...d-p-70316.html

Proud owner of:
-WASR 10/63

Old October 10, 2014, 01:24 AM   #5
Jack Package

I heard the Polish ones are really good to have, they look great and work better that WASRs. If I was getting one thats what I would do.
Old October 10, 2014, 01:43 AM   #6
Carolina Kalash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Package View Post
I heard the Polish ones are really good to have, they look great and work better that WASRs. If I was getting one thats what I would do.
Yeah I've heard great things about polish AKs including underfolders, they just seem harder to find and cost more than they did a few years ago

Proud owner of:
-WASR 10/63

Old October 10, 2014, 07:57 AM   #7
jonnyc

Mine is an M70, so that's what I meant. I don't have any experience with the PAPs.
Old October 10, 2014, 10:38 AM   #8
minutemen1776

I have a Polish underfolder that was built by Century on a new American-made receiver. It has been flawless and incredibly accurate with good ammo. I got it about three years ago for $500, but they seem to be $700 and up these days. I highly recommend them, even at the current price. The underfolder stock makes these rifles really unique. They fold up to about 26 inches in length and are perfect for when a compact rifle may be needed. To retain its compactness, I usually run Hungarian 20-round tanker mags in mine, which are about the length of an AR mag.
Old October 10, 2014, 01:47 PM   #9
Carolina Kalash

Quote:
Mine is an M70, so that's what I meant. I don't have any experience with the PAPs.
They seem like good quality rifles, i haven't heard anything bad about them especially for the fairly low price tag they have, i just find myself turned off slightly by the off-looking handguard yugos have and the odd-looking grenade sight on the gas block of the M70s... im not ruling them out though, cause i mean hey, it's still a good quality low-priced underfolder AK, i'd still like to have one of these at some point anyway as well as a full stocked M70

Proud owner of:
-WASR 10/63

Old October 10, 2014, 07:48 PM   #10
jonnyc

Hey, you may want to fire some grenades some day! My Yugo and one of my Israeli Mausers share the same grenades. Now if I could just get my range to allow me to toss some down-range.............
Old October 10, 2014, 08:44 PM   #11
Carolina Kalash

Quote:
Hey, you may want to fire some grenades some day! My Yugo and one of my Israeli Mausers share the same grenades. Now if I could just get my range to allow me to toss some down-range.............
True... grenades would be fun i bet, cant you get dummy grenades that don't explode that are legal?

Proud owner of:
-WASR 10/63

Old October 11, 2014, 09:45 AM   #12
az_imuth

Not only can you fire grenades with the Yugo, you can fire them at night.
Not sure if all the M70's came this way, but mine has flip-up night sights front and rear. I just need to replace the little glowing rods and they'll be good to go.

Old October 11, 2014, 02:40 PM   #13
Carolina Kalash

well, like I said, definatley not ruling out the M70 underfolder, especially if i find a good deal on one

Proud owner of:
-WASR 10/63

Old October 11, 2014, 03:02 PM   #14
Steve61

The Yugo AK's, including the NPAP folder, are a best buy right now and are very high quality, as long as you don't mind a non-chrome lined bore. As with many imported AK's there can sometimes be QC issues. Atlantic Firearms actually performs a QC check on their N-PAP folders that should help weed out the worst ones.

Atlantic Firearms N-PAP Underfolder
Old October 12, 2014, 07:58 PM   #15
Carolina Kalash

I do like the look of NPAPs, the polished bolt carrier is a nice touch imo

Proud owner of:
-WASR 10/63