Quantcast
Ar15 stock question - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Rifle Country

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old March 18, 2015, 03:31 PM   #1
ldlfh7

Ar15 stock question

I have a 16" carbine length gas system on my upper and want to install a A2 fixed stock with rifle length buffer tube and spring. Is this compatible?
Old March 18, 2015, 03:36 PM   #2
burrhead

Yes, I've done it and it works fine.
Old March 18, 2015, 04:53 PM   #3
d2wing

I have switched from carbine adjustable stock to fixed on an AR. No problem. Assembly is slightly different for each but it is minor.
Old March 18, 2015, 05:10 PM   #4
MachIVshooter

Yep! No problem mixing and matching rifle/carbine gas systems and stocks, so long as you run the correct buffer and spring.

FWIW, if you're going fixed stock, I'd suggest looking at these two options:

ACE:

Luth-AR:

I have the Luth-AR on my dissipator, really like it.
Old March 18, 2015, 05:58 PM   #5
HammsBeer

Compatible yes, as long as you have a rifle length buffer tube, rifle buffer and rifle spring.

If you want to keep your carbine buffer setup and just want a fixed stock, the Fixed Carbine Stock from Magpul is another good option and super simple to install, just one screw. I run two of them and they are solid.

Old March 18, 2015, 07:50 PM   #6
Inebriated

+1 for the Magpul Fixed Carbine stock.
Old March 18, 2015, 07:54 PM   #7
LeonCarr

The rifle length stock from Magpul is a great one. Slightly shorter than the issue A2 stock and feels perfect.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
Old March 18, 2015, 08:27 PM   #8
ZGunner

Not to muddy the water but, +1 on the Magpul Rifle Stock. It uses the rifles length buffer assembly and is a bit shorter than the A2. Very good length for the wife and I (5'10" and 5'4" respectively). We've used it on both carbines and rifles.
Old March 18, 2015, 09:33 PM   #9
HammsBeer

I also have the Magpul Rifle Stock on a 20" and it's well made, but the length is about the same as an A2 stock (within 1/4", see pic).

I prefer the Magpul FCS on short light AR's where you are shooting on your feet with your torso vertical, and the Magpul Rifle stock for bench/prone shooting where your head ends up significantly farther forward of your shoulders.

Old March 18, 2015, 09:44 PM   #10
Dr.Rob

I run a 16 inch carbine gas system and a fixed A2 stock, use the rifle buffer and spring and if anything it's overgassed.

There are several 'short' fixed stocks out there.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachmen...1&d=1392278826
Old March 19, 2015, 07:44 AM   #11
MistWolf

If your AR is over gassed with a rifle buffer, it really is over gassed.

BUFFER WEIGHTS-
Carbine: 3 ozs, three steel weights
H: 3.8 ozs, one tungsten, two steel weights
H2: 4.7 ozs, two tungsten, one steel weights
Rifle: 5 ozs, five steel weights, one steel spacer
H3: 5.6 ozs, 3 tungsten weights

As ldlfh7 is asking about an A2 stock, I doubt he's looking for a shorter alternative.

The LOP of the MagPul rifle stock is made to fall between the A1 & A2. MagPul makes a thicker butt pad if you want a longer LOP.

The MagPul Fixed Length carbine stock is shorter than the rifle stock and was too short for me. I had to install the thicker butt pad and make a spacer to get the LOP to where I wanted it
Originally Posted by conrad427 View Post
I would think that lack of food, water, and shelter would kill you faster than the wrong gas system
Old March 19, 2015, 01:10 PM   #12
ldlfh7

Thanks for all the replies.
I went with an A2 fixed stock with rifle buffer, tube, etc...
I like the fixed stock better because it gives me a really good fit.
I got a good deal on the carbine length upper but will be using this to shoot coyotes and foxes who keep terrorizing my chickens.
For any type of hunting application I prefer a fixed stock. Just wanted to make sure I was not wasting money on incompatible parts as I am a newbie to the AR platform.
Thanks again.
Old March 19, 2015, 08:15 PM   #13
HammsBeer

Can I ask where you got the A2 stock and how much? I might pick one up myself.
Old March 19, 2015, 08:21 PM   #14
MachIVshooter

Quote:
For any type of hunting application I prefer a fixed stock.
You may find that changes after using some of the stocks available on carbines.

I -hate- standard M4 carbine stocks, and definitely prefer the feel of an A2 to them. But there are about a bazillion options out there for carbine stocks these days, some of which offer LOP both shorter and longer than a fixed stock, as well as better cheek weld, etc. And the locking type do not exhibit the classic carbine stock wiggle. Something such as the Magpul ACS-L you might actually find preferable to an A2 for your needs.

I have 9 ARs total, and not one of them wears an A2 or M4 stock, nor standard handguard, A2 grip or A2 birdcage FH.
Old March 19, 2015, 08:36 PM   #15
Dr.Rob

Tony's customs: http://www.tonyscustomsllc.com/produ...a2-buttstocks/

Model One Sales: http://www.model1sales.com/index.cfm...ategory_id=465

JoeBob's: http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/AR_1...g-rb-t469b.htm

JSE: in FDE http://www.jsesurplus.com/LeapersUTG...DarkEarth.aspx