.270 wsm - THR

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Rifle Country

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old September 9, 2015, 11:52 AM   #1
Lycidas Janwor
.270 wsm

Anyone familiar with this cartridge? Has it been discontinued, I think I heard somewhere that manufacturers stopped making rifles for this round and that the ammo is hard to find?
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
-- Thomas Jefferson
Old September 9, 2015, 12:12 PM   #2
You can find it online. I remember back in the day when the WSM calibers were the end all hunting caliber for any and every purpose. They really didn't stand the test of time.
We believe in one God, the Father, the Almighty, maker of heaven and earth, of all that is, seen and unseen.

We believe in one Lord, Jesus Christ, the only Son of God, eternally begotten of the Father, God from God, Light from Light, true God from true God, begotten, not made, of one Being with the Father. Through him all things were made. For us and for our salvation he came down from heaven: by
Old September 9, 2015, 12:25 PM   #3
Still listed on Winchester's ammo site. That doesn't mean much though. They make a lot of stuff seasonally only or have suspended production. The .270 WSM isn't one of those. Midway shows it as available from 14 makers.
Rifles may not be very readily available. Even though Winchester at least shows the M70 Coyote Light et al being chambered in it.
Thing with the assorted WSM's and WSSM's is that they don't do anything older cartridges don't do. You likely won't find ammo in small places either.
Old September 9, 2015, 12:26 PM   #4
Winchester still lists Model 70s in .270 WSM on their website

Midway has 14 varieties of the ammo available on their website and one listed as Coming soon
"The worst of all conditions in which a belligerent can find himself is to be utterly defenseless"- Karl von Clausewitz
Old September 9, 2015, 12:37 PM   #5
It is a great round, especially with the Winchester silver tip bullets. However, it is expensive and you get one less round in a bolt action rifle. The regular .270Win is more affordable, common, and you can still have five rounds in your rifle.
Old September 9, 2015, 01:20 PM   #6
Originally Posted by Lycidas Janwor View Post
Anyone familiar with this cartridge? Has it been discontinued, I think I heard somewhere that manufacturers stopped making rifles for this round and that the ammo is hard to find?
Don't know where your heard that, rifles are currently being produced in that chambering by:

I had a Tikka in .270 WSM, and it was a real shooter. I got 3200 fps with 140gr Accubonds, compared to the 2940 fps I get with my current .270 Win. It's a good cartridge if your anticipate long shots, or hunt open areas. At the time I had mine I was hunting thick GA woods, so I didn't need the speed.... Wouldn't mind having it back now though.
WARNING: The feats seen above were conducted by a professional life-liver under the close supervision of somebody or other. Under no circumstances should you try anything you've read above at home... or anywhere else... ever.

Last edited by Gtscotty; September 9, 2015 at 02:08 PM.
Old September 9, 2015, 02:57 PM   #7
About 10 years ago there were about 15 "short/super short/compact/ultra short magnum" rifle cartridges introduced. They all basically flopped except the .270 and .300 WSM. That says to me the cartridge had a reason to survive rather than just being new and flashy. With the .270 WSM, you get nearly .270 Weatherby Mag performance out of a short action rifle.
01 FFL in East Central MN www.rockcreekoutdoors.net
Old September 9, 2015, 04:20 PM   #8
Both the 270 and especially the 300 WSM are well enough established that ammo will always be available. It probably will never be as common as 308, 30-06, 270 etc, but I can't remember the last store I was in that didn't carry 300 WSM and most have 270 WSM

Some history about some interesting rounds:

In the late 1990's gun writer Rick Jamison developed the 300 Jamison round. It used a very efficient short action cartridge giving 98-99% of a 300 WM speed with 15-20% less powder and about 15% less recoil. The purpose was to get near 300 WM performance, but in a trimmer, lighter rifle with manageable recoil. Most people never understood that, just saw a little less speed than 300 WM and wondered why they would buy a 300 WSM over a 300 WM. Less recoil, lighter rifles and better accuracy went right over their heads.

Jamison approached Winchester and tried to sell them the idea. They declined, but a few months later introduced the 270, 7mm, 300, and 325 WSM line of cartridges. Jamison sued and won claiming Winchester stole his idea. As a result of the lawsuit any WSM rifle or box of ammo sold includes a royalty to Jamison, at least for a few more years. Gun and ammo makers have to either make less profit, or charge more for them.

Ruger and Remington didn't want to pay the royalty and developed similar short action magnums that were enough different. They flopped pretty quickly. Many other manufacturers are reluctant to offer either round because of the lawsuit and this is what has held back some very good rounds. Once the terms of the lawsuit are over I think they will stand a better chance to become more popular.

Winchester tried some super short magnums, WSSM's, in 22, 24, and 25 caliber. They were just too short and they never did solve feeding problems and they were dropped. The Ruger and Remington offerings are all but dead as are the 7mm and 325 WSM.
Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth
Old September 9, 2015, 07:17 PM   #9
FWIW I hunted 45 years with a .270 winchester and switched to .270 WSM in the early 2000s and have never looked back. The .270WSM
is better in every way and it is readily available with super premium bullets , very handy in a state where one MUST use non lead bullets. The .270 WSM puts 150 grain bullets at the same speed as a .270 winchester does 130s, and it does it seemingly more accurately in my experience, with that short fat powder column.
Bring me two 1911s,
I want one for each hand,
We'll set sail with Colonel Cooper,
Though we never leave dry land,
All the goblins, I've forgot 'em,
I buried them in the sand
So give me two 1911s,
one for each hand.
Old September 9, 2015, 09:40 PM   #10
I really like mine. I reload several bullets. This round is very flat and hits hard way out there. On a short shot the deer simply dropped where he stood. On another shot the bullet struck 7" below point of aim. This being with a 250 yd. zero. The resounding smack was very assuring in low light. That deer dropped immediately as well though much farther out. Dont quote me on this load but I believe Im shooting 130 gr Sie PH in front of 64.5 gr. RL19. I have to watch for split necks.
I would take it over my 257 Weatherby Mag.
Old September 9, 2015, 09:52 PM   #11
The 7mm and 325 WSMs are on shaky ground, but the 270 and 300 are going strong.
Old September 9, 2015, 11:17 PM   #12
I just bought a new .300 WSM within the last year and I am enjoying it so far. I do handload which makes it more practical.
Old September 10, 2015, 03:23 PM   #13
I think one can say with little trepidation, that the .270 WSM is the best cartridge for all lower 48 hunting that has ever been invented.
Old September 10, 2015, 06:28 PM   #14
The 270 and 300 WSM cartridges are here to stay but I'm going to divest myself of 300 WSM chambered rifles for the simple reason that my two (Remington and Kimber) do nothing that I can't do with my two .300 Win Mag rifles (AI and Kimber). I really like belted cartridges and could care less about 95% of the velocity with 80% of the charge weight since a quality bullet is the real driver when it comes to reloading cost. I've never felt a significant difference in recoil between 300 WSM and .300 Win Mag and the extra weight of 2" of barrel and about 1" of receiver makes no difference to me either. I'll take a smooth feeding .300 Win Mag any day and twice on Sunday! Carry on!!
MCMXI LLC - FFL (07) and SOT (Class 2 - Manufacturer of NFA firearms) now offering FFL and Class 3 dealer services in NW Montana.
PM or email info@mcmxi.org - member formerly known as 1858
Old September 10, 2015, 07:02 PM   #15
Same here, I like the traditional belted cartridges also. I don't feel at all disadvantaged with a good old belted magnum. They do feed nice and smooth, and plenty flat shooting with the right load. And considering the number of years they've been around, there is no shortage of data or components available to the reloader.

The only one's that ever inspired my interest, were the ultra mag. offerings, not the SAUM or the WSM though.

The 7mm UM and the 300 UM are two very fine cartridges. Though they both burn more powder, not less, they at least the offer a little more velocity over the traditional belted cartridge. But I could never find the justification to burn 100+ grains of propellant just to reap a slight improvement in velocity.

Old September 10, 2015, 10:30 PM   #16
Belted mags and ultra mags = long heavy rifles. The Kimber 270 WSM is absolutely svelte.
Old September 10, 2015, 11:43 PM   #17
I have a Montana in 300 WSM and I agree that it's "svelt", but the .300 Win Mag version isn't exactly a pig either at around 6-3/4 lb.
MCMXI LLC - FFL (07) and SOT (Class 2 - Manufacturer of NFA firearms) now offering FFL and Class 3 dealer services in NW Montana.
PM or email info@mcmxi.org - member formerly known as 1858