Quantcast
avoiding ear damage with powerful rifles - Page 2 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Rifle Country

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old April 17, 2012, 01:44 AM   #26
talldragon

I definitely double up on hearing protection when firing a Magnum rifle, especially a magna-ported one .
Seriously, hearing damage is irreversible . Protect what you have.

I know a Vietnam Vet who spent his tour on a PBR (Navy)
firing the forward mounted Twin .50's with no hearing protection.
Let's just say he has a real tough time with cellphones.....None of them are loud enough. VA denied his hearing loss claim as well.
Wear your "ears" folks .
Old April 17, 2012, 08:17 AM   #27
peterotte

Quote:
I fail to see how a piece of foam is not completely and utterly universal.
Trust me. I've not only read the book, seen the movie and been there - I am there. My ear canals are narrow and not straight. Doctors and nurses struggle to see my ear drums! Yet my hearing is good. Mind you, I've always used hearing protection. I do have tinnitus but it's from something else.
Old April 17, 2012, 08:20 AM   #28
peterotte

Quote:
VA denied his hearing loss claim as well.
There can be no question of the cause of hearing loss in the military. Aren't there lawyers ready to get rich fighting these claims? They can't lose.

Last edited by peterotte; April 18, 2012 at 02:00 AM.
Old April 17, 2012, 06:28 PM   #29
Gtimothy

I lost 30% of my hearing while in the Navy. Big Guns, Missiles and Navy jets will do that to you over 20 years.

I usually double up but I've been using some coated foam ear plugs that Really do a good job! When I put them in, I can't hear anything... including my wifes snoring...I didn't say that out loud did I???

I need to get some good over the ear "Mickey Mouse" ears but I haven't found any that I like yet.
"We must reject the idea that every time a law is broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions." -Ronald Reagan
Old April 17, 2012, 09:31 PM   #30
gunnysmith

I use molded in the ear plugs with an 85 db cutout filter.
Usually $75.00
Old April 18, 2012, 12:21 PM   #31
SpeedAKL

I typically use standard winchester earmuffs when on an indoor range. The closest indoor range permits everything .460 Wby and below; I regularly shoot high-power rifles there. TBH, the earmuffs are a bare minimum in an environment like that. I occasionally double up with screw-in rubber units.

Outdoor ranges are a lot milder,but a SBR or braked rifle will still rock you pretty good if you only have a pair of foamies in.
Old April 18, 2012, 12:39 PM   #32
FIVETWOSEVEN

When I shoot or am around a .50, I just use plugs and I'm perfectly fine. No ringing, not too loud, and doesn't hurt.

Quote:
I wonder how our GIs had to feel who had to shoot one of those Garands all day ????? Never saw one of them with a plug or muffs on the ears. Wonder how they felt about that ?
You should ask one when you see one, might have to yell your question though.
Why are we allowed to own cars that can go over 100 MPH? Who, besides the military and police, needs to have a race car? Many people die each year from race cars, we don't have a need such high powered cars so they should be banned. Those that own race cars think that they are Vin Diesel and are dangerous to society.
Old April 19, 2012, 12:22 PM   #33
oldpink

It's just idle speculation on my part, but I wonder if they have some sort of helmet device with integral hearing protection to reflect back sound rather than conduct it through your skull, something reserved only for the most extreme noise levels.
Sure would be uncomfortable for shooting, but I would be willing to bet you could significantly improve upon the practical NRR rating of 33 with something of that sort.
Old April 22, 2012, 12:27 AM   #34
Malamute

I have serious hearing damage also. I keep foam plugs on me at all times. I wont even take a shot hunting without them, no game animal is worth losing any more hearing. For the worst offenders I use plugs and muffs. Most anything with a brake/flash suppressor falls in that catagory, as do 357 loads in a pistol. The 44 seems more pleasant to shoot.

I made one shot with a 338 in the woods and lost noticable hearing in my left ear. Never again. That wasn't the only thing I've lost hearing from, but I knew the instant I fired that something was wrong. That deer was absolutely NOT worth losing any hearing over.

338's don't need brakes in any event. I wouldnt have a braked gun for a field gun. Just my preference. If I couldnt get it tamed by proper stocking fit and a good pad, I wouldnt shoot it in the field. I still use plugs when hunting tho, just put them in when I'm about to shoot. If I lose the shot, oh well, there will be another one of whatever. I dont recall losing a critter from not being ready tho.

"...always endeavour to raise your own standards."
Arfin Greebly

Isn't it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Old April 22, 2012, 09:42 AM   #35
oldpink

Malamute, you don't really have to insert plugs just as you're about to shoot.
There already are electronic plugs that cut off with gunfire, allowing you to hear through them up until that point.
You can simply wear them, adjust the sound amplification level (yes, they can act somewhat as hearing aids), then go hunting.
The electronics will do the rest for you.
Old April 22, 2012, 02:05 PM   #36
KeithR

oldpink,
I'm new to this so could you post some product examples and/or web links. Thanks!
Old April 22, 2012, 02:11 PM   #37
rcmodel
Contributing Member

Walkers Game Ear was probably the firstest with the bestest.
They have several models and price ranges so look around their website.

http://www.walkersgameear.com/wkrs_p..._dighd_01.html

rc
Old April 22, 2012, 03:47 PM   #38
W.E.G.

With the foamie earplugs, I generally push them in until they are touching.
Old April 23, 2012, 10:21 AM   #39
Tom Held

doubling up value?

I've been seen a couple of times at the Starkey Institute for my gun-related hearing loss and asked about doubling up. The audiologists that I spoke to who were rifle shooters said it makes minimal difference, almost unperceptible in hearing reduction. The rest of the loss occurs through your bones in the side of your head which transmit noice to your inner ear. Nothing short of a full sound absorbing head device would absorb the noise. Not very pratical.
Old April 26, 2012, 11:43 AM   #40
hdbiker

after many years of useing ear plugs and standard ear muffs,it got so I coulden't hear conservations at the range.Every time I'd lift the standard muffs to hear a conservation,someone would fire a .300 mag,OUCH. So I bit the bullet and bought a set of Walkers Power Muff Quads.Problem solved.And their great out hunting in the woods.biker
Old April 27, 2012, 01:15 PM   #41
PTMCCAIN

DOUBLE PLUG...VIDEO TO FOLLOW:

http://youtu.be/vke_3G-dTT8?hd=1
Old April 28, 2012, 10:05 PM   #42
agoodpeter

for those where eye gear,,, ear muffs won't do enough,, there will always be slight a gap from the eye gear,,, just anoth reson to double up
Old May 4, 2012, 07:11 PM   #43
Southernsorrow

i use walker game-ears headphones for .223 and handguns can hear conversations and game moving around but blocks out the ear popping .223 round with a 12.5 barrel and when it's too hot for over ear protection i use plugs or behind the ear pro hear phones. also works with .308, anything bigger you def want plugs and or plugs+muffs
Old May 5, 2012, 12:25 AM   #44
Stevie-Ray

I double-up for everything including .22LR outdoors. Never hurts to be overprotective when it comes to that. There are just some things that require doubling up with the absolute best of both. .45-70 Contenders indoors come to mind.

Quote:
I've been seen a couple of times at the Starkey Institute for my gun-related hearing loss and asked about doubling up. The audiologists that I spoke to who were rifle shooters said it makes minimal difference, almost unperceptible in hearing reduction.
Those audiologists, who are supposed to be professionals are downright crazy! Fire a .44 magnum indoors with one or the other and it HURTS! Now double-up and try again. HUGE difference!

I've never heard of such a thing!

Last edited by Stevie-Ray; May 7, 2012 at 10:53 PM.
Old May 7, 2012, 05:44 PM   #45
langenc

Thanks for the demo on page one..

I have worked 'sight in days' jut before der season.

All kinds of characters show up-very many without plugs/muffs. When asking some about it they say "Oh we shoot 44s all the time without muffs."

Remember to wear em for 22s-still important even if they are 'just 22s'. I have heard that a lot. 22LR is about 135 dB-about the same as a jet engine.
Old May 7, 2012, 06:18 PM   #46
Bob72

How about a 155

Standing in a hooch in Nam, didn't know a 155 was behind it , right over my head,and about to fire into a free fire zone. BLOOOOmmmmmringring ring ring ring both ear drums blown out. 45 min for right ear to have some hearing and 8 hours for the left. Have permanent nerve damage but about to get two hearing aids from VA. I still use doubles with electronic muffs. Bad as my ears are, (constant ringing and loss) protection is important so that they won't go out totally. I also get the headache after a few rounds of the 50 cal. Indoor ranges, where concussion can bound from wall to wall will also give me a headache. Take care of your ears and eyes.......with double protection you should be all right.
Old May 9, 2012, 04:38 PM   #47
ladytech777

Go with "Mine Safety Appliances" or "David Clark's". Stay away from those discount $5-$10
"specials". They are regular muffs and are not overly expensive,
Old May 10, 2012, 02:38 AM   #48
Ken70

My boss had to fire a quad .50 back during the Korean War, he was a little hard of hearing. I don't know how he could have done that more than once....

Another guy was on the Army shooting team in the late '50s and early '60s. He shot .300 magnums all day and had the rest of the team banging away on both sides. It wasn't until I knew him for about 3 years and he was telling me about the shooting that he mentioned he had 76db tinnitus and was a lip reader. He could carry on a conversation and never make a mistake.

It wasn't till about '75 that the military started giving ear protection to the troops. Before that it was just bear it....

I always double up, the side frame from the glasses messes up the seal. Plugs alone won't do it, came home with 24 hour headaches after a range trip.
Old May 10, 2012, 12:39 PM   #49
rodregier

The best passive over-the-ear muff I have found (and use) is this product:

Peltor 97010 Ultimate-10 Hearing Protector

http://www.amazon.com/Peltor-97010-U...sr_1_6?ie=UTF8

NRR of 30 dB

You can also purchase replacement cushions elsewhere.

Good pricing and availability thru Amazon. I have also gifted these to others.
Old May 11, 2012, 05:23 AM   #50
Ryden

Quote:
Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
I fail to see how a piece of foam is not completely and utterly universal.

I mean, perhaps trimming the ol' ear hairs might make the room that is needed... lol
Simply because everyone's ears are different.
I used to work in industrial environment with foamplugs in my ears for many years and even though I'm a big guy, 6'4, I have to use plug size small or my ear canals will hurt like h@ll after the shift.
They make different sized plugs for a reason.

And as to ear hairs, I start to resamble my grandfather. Do Black&Decker make miniature weed whackers?
R. Southgate

Last edited by Ryden; May 11, 2012 at 05:49 AM.