Quantcast
avoiding ear damage with powerful rifles - Page 5 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Rifle Country

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old October 5, 2012, 11:14 PM   #101
Ranb

Quote:
u can have suppressors in IL, by paying $500 a year for a class III dealer's license. you can make that much on 2-3 sales of such, easily. or pay $1000 a year and get a title II manufacturer's license and make that back on 4 .22 lr cans that you can turn out in one day. I aint wrong, or bsing, either.
No one marks up their silencers enough to profit $500 with the sale of only four cans. A class 2 can also get away with paying only paying a $500 yearly SOT if they do less than $500,000 in business a year.

Quote:
the issue is that only a couple of states allow you to hunt with a suppressed gun.
About half of the state allow hunting of game or non-game animals with firearms equipped with silencers. http://www.gem-tech.com/store/pc/pdf...OMPILATION.pdf

Quote:
I aint wrong, or bsing, either.
What was that again?

Ranb

Last edited by Ranb; October 6, 2012 at 11:39 AM.
Old October 6, 2012, 12:51 AM   #102
Swampman

@ twinny:
Do you have any idea how competitive the Rimfire can market is now?
There are quite a few major, well respected makers out there, all of them working hard to corner a share of a fairly limited market.

Anyone that's contemplating buying a Rimfire can already knows they're going to have to pay a $200 tax on it. In that situation people tend to shop around and try to educate themselves so that they get the best deal on what is, essentially a lifetime purchase.

I don't know how much business or manufacturing experience you have, but it's not likely that you can start up a suppressor company, even with an excellent design and good financial backing, that could expect to break even for several years. Most likely you'd go down the tube.

Quote:
"I aint wrong, or bsing, either."

You're both, because your scenario of expecting to recoup the cost of your SOT with the sale of your first four cans is as wrong as your estimate of the number of states that allow hunting suppressed.

Which as of Sept. 1st, 2012 now includes TEXAS!
WHOOP!

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=742886
Old November 2, 2012, 05:29 PM   #103
$$Midge$$

This info. should help.

1. Is it legal to own a silencer?
Under federal law, it has never been illegal to own a silencer. If it is legal for you to buy a handgun, and you live in a state that allows ownership, then it is probably legal for you to own a silencer. The basic requirements are as follows:

i.You must be at least 21 years old
ii.You must live in a state that allows ownership
iii.You must not have any felony convictions
2. Which states allow silencer ownership?
The following states allow private ownership of silencers: AL, AR, AK, AZ, CO, CT, FL, GA, ID, IN, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MS, MT, ND, NE, NV, NH, NM, NC, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, WI, WV and WY.

Of the remaining states; CA, IA, MA, MO and MI may allow silencer ownership for people in possession of a valid FFL.

3. Do I need a special license to own a silencer?
No! There are some rumors that you need to have a “Class 3” license to own a silencer; but, this simply isn’t true. You do have to pay for a transfer or “tax stamp” when you first buy the suppressor – but there are no ongoing fees or licenses required. This tax is similar to paying sales tax on a purchase, except that it goes to the federal instead of the state government.

4. Do I give up any rights when I buy a silencer? (Will the ATF start showing up to search my house?)
No.

5. Can I use one silencer for multiple firearms?
Yes. As long as the firearms are threaded in a way that will accept the silencer, you shouldn’t have any problems.

6. Can I use one silencer for multiple calibers?
You can use a larger caliber suppressor to suppress a smaller caliber firearm as long as you have the appropriate adapters. Using a larger caliber silencer is not typically as efficient as a silencer made for your firearm, but it will still be a significant sound reduction in most cases.

7. What is the difference between a suppressor and a silencer?
There is no difference; these are just different words for the same thing. The term “sound suppressor”, or just “suppressor”, is actually more accurate when talking about these devices since they don’t actually silence the firearm.

8. How quiet is a suppressed firearm?
This depends on the firearm and the suppressor. In most cases, the suppressed firearm will be at least as quiet as wearing a good pair of muffs.

9. How will a silencer attach to my firearm(s)?
Once again, this depends on the firearm and the suppressor. The most popular methods include the following:

Some silencers will thread directly onto a threaded barrel
Some silencers require a quick-detach device (like a flash hider, muzzle brake or piston)
Some silencers are built into the firearm itself, providing an integral suppressor
10. How long does it take to register a suppressor?
This can vary widely depending on several factors. As a general rule, you should expect the entire process to take between 2-4 months; although, it could be a bit shorter or longer.
Old November 3, 2012, 03:26 AM   #104
Swampman

While the following statement is true to an extent, it's not quite this simple.

"6. Can I use one silencer for multiple calibers? You can use a larger caliber suppressor to suppress a smaller caliber firearm as long as you have the appropriate adapters. Using a larger caliber silencer is not typically as efficient as a silencer made for your firearm, but it will still be a significant sound reduction in most cases."

While the .308 bullet from a 30/378 Weatherby is easily small enough to pass through a 9mm pistol suppressor, the pressures generated would turn the can into expensive and possibly lethal shrapnel.

Old November 15, 2012, 07:58 PM   #105
random_gun

Is that the kind of plug you can get at Walmart?
Thanks for point it out I never noticed I wasn't wearing plugs correctly.
Is 33dB reduction enough for 223/7.62*39/7.62*54(if they work as advertised)?
Old November 19, 2012, 08:36 PM   #106
urbaneruralite

I like the molded ear plugs for target work. You mix two types of putty and fill up your ear. After they've cured they retain the shape of your ear. You don't have to twist, squish or pull. They sort of screw right in.

When hunting I use the Allen Sound Sensors. If you don't have too much damage you can wear them and still hear a deer crunching leaves.

As I am left-handed, I have more hearing loss in my left ear than my right due to conduction from butt stocks through bones to the nerves in my ear. You can buy products for that, but I have no recommendation.
Old November 20, 2012, 09:29 AM   #107
Ryden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampman View Post
While the following statement is true to an extent, it's not quite this simple.

"6. Can I use one silencer for multiple calibers? You can use a larger caliber suppressor to suppress a smaller caliber firearm as long as you have the appropriate adapters. Using a larger caliber silencer is not typically as efficient as a silencer made for your firearm, but it will still be a significant sound reduction in most cases."

While the .308 bullet from a 30/378 Weatherby is easily small enough to pass through a 9mm pistol suppressor, the pressures generated would turn the can into expensive and possibly lethal shrapnel.
As an aside to this, there is at least one manufacturer (Stalon) of silencers that stamps the body (eg. the basic can) with manufacturer name and serial number etc. You can then change inserts and fronts to have different calibers and dampening. The caliber range is .22 to .458

I don't know about the legality of this in the US, but here in Sweden it will be considered a single silencer and require only one permit.
R. Southgate
Old November 21, 2012, 02:49 AM   #108
Swampman

I'm not a lawyer, but in the U.S. I'm pretty sure that this would mean 10 years free room and board...

Old November 21, 2012, 12:33 PM   #109
Ranb

In the USA every silencer part is by itself a silencer, so parts replacement requires that another $200 tax be paid. The only exception is wipes which can be replaced after destroying the old ones. Even a licensed manufacture is not allowed to make repairs that result in a longer tube, tube replacement or change in bore size. Yeah, it sucks.

Until we can pass a law that intends to promote silencer use instead of criminalize it, then we are stuck with this mess.

Ranb
Old November 22, 2012, 01:31 PM   #110
Ryden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranb View Post
In the USA every silencer part is by itself a silencer, so parts replacement requires that another $200 tax be paid.
Too bad
R. Southgate

Last edited by Ryden; November 23, 2012 at 06:30 AM.
Old November 22, 2012, 10:04 PM   #111
Buzsaw

huh?
Old January 29, 2013, 02:37 AM   #112
106rr

My hearing damage was from the military. I was a gunner on a 106 Recoilless Rifle. This gun weighs in at 480 pounds. The shells weigh 38 to 43 pounds each. Upon discharge, enough hot gas shoots out the back of the gun to compensate entirely for the recoil of the 4.2 inch HEAT shaped charge leaving the muzzle at 1600 fps. The dual muzzle and breach blast cause immediate total temporary hearing loss. Hearing returns with a high pitched shriek inside your head. The screams of the loader seem quiet and distant. I have endured this hundreds of times. By far, the most painful noise was firing a .45 in a tunnel. This feels like someone is shoving chopsticks in your ears.
I double up with foam ear plugs and electronic muffs every time I shoot. I would like to preserve what little quality of life I have left.
Old February 13, 2013, 03:47 PM   #113
golfshot72

This is my first post. Its funny I just came back from picking up my (poured in molded ear plugs). I was shooting next to a guy who had a muzzle brake. I don't know if my ear muffs where sufficient or not, but I am not taking any chances. I am going this Friday and I am doubling up for sure. We will see. Thanks for sharing
Old June 17, 2013, 02:01 AM   #114
Greenmountain

Earplugs

Do our current soldiers were any hearing protection because I never seen a picture of a soldier wearing ear protection
Old June 17, 2013, 07:05 AM   #115
oldpink

Greenmountain, we always wore plugs or muffs when doing normal firing with all small arms when I was in the Navy.
With the big gun (5"/54 caliber), anyone riding in the gun house or in the control room directly below the gun house wore it.
However, the gun captain, OMC (One Man Control/Safety Observer) Operator, and mount captain had nothing but headphones, which served poorly as hearing protection.
I have some hearing damage from all those years in the big gun as either mount captain or OMC Operator.
Just because you're in the military doesn't mean a person is immune to hearing loss.
It's an unfortunate thing that men serving in combat can't practically do something to prevent that.
Old August 10, 2013, 04:16 PM   #116
MarcS

Between that first rock concert, working above the chipper at a sawmill (guy running the chipper had hearing protection per OSHA),running heavy equipment and shooting shotguns and rifle's for almost 40 years before realizing the damage. I have lost all hearing above 2400Hz. and now double up on protection to save what I have left as I hate having to ask my Grandsons to look at Grandpa when you talk to me or I can't tell what your saying. Tinnitus sucks the one sound that won't go away.
Old August 11, 2013, 12:57 PM   #117
henschman

I can't use muffs when shooting a rifle because they interfere with my cheek weld... they will just get pushed up on my trigger side, defeating the purpose. The majority of my shooting is with rifles. I wear muffs sometimes when I'm instructing or shooting pistols only, but I usually just use plain old foam plugs. When inserted properly, I have no issues with them, even around brakes and short barrels. I recently tried some electronic plugs, and they worked very well. The only problem was that I lost one when picking through some thick woods!
Old August 11, 2013, 01:29 PM   #118
stressed

I have hearing loss as well, as well as tinnitus. I had an eardrum rupture and vertigo after a 132mm Katyusha rocket knocked me off my feet in Iraq. Luckily the VA approved my disability there, but that is only because I was wounded most likely. I thought me being Infantry gave you an automatic 10% for hearing.

As for .50 BMG, 240 7.62x51mm, etc all those weapons are fired without ear protection when in a scenario. It will make you deaf.
Old August 26, 2013, 11:40 AM   #119
gunownerz

I double up on ear protection and typically will limit myself 10-15 shots on .50s. I also save my .50 for last and just gauge if I even want to shoot 10 rounds.
Old September 1, 2013, 08:16 PM   #120
LR Sarge

Yes, there is a limit to how many rounds someone should shoot with the .50. If you double up with ear pro, that should cover the ears, but that is not the only issue. I was TOLD (who knows the accuracy of it) when I went through sniper school that people who fired more than 40 rounds a day from the "XM 107" .50 cal were beginning to show signs of concussion, and some were having issues with detached retinas. I actually find that hard to believe, but it was part of the training so take it for what you will.
Old October 11, 2013, 01:13 PM   #121
moonzapa

I lost most of the hearing in my left ear while sighting in a .338-06 Ackley Improved at my local range. I believe it was either a Barrett .338 Lapua or a .50 cal bolt action rifle that was fired next to me. I tried to ignore the blast but my ear really hurt. I was using foam ear inserts and I only wish I would have gotten a heads-up from the Barrett shooter that I may want to opt for Mickey Mouse ears.
Old October 17, 2013, 02:09 PM   #122
moonzapa

North Africa - WWII

Just a comment or two about hearing loss from firearms...My father was a veteran of the North Africa campaign during WWII, U. S. Army 1st Division, 16th Infantry (Big Red One). He had a hearing loss and after the war had a mastoid process performed on one of his ears. He told me that along with small arms fire, Garands and M-1 carbines, machine guns, etc., he also had the misfortune to be near the blasts of German and Italian artillery fire. The Vichy French also fired artillery on our troop ships passing by the Rock of Gibralter in WWII. A lot of "boom" factor going on. So, if you know some old WWII, Korean War, or Viet Nam vets don't be surprised if they don't hear very well.
Old October 21, 2013, 12:52 PM   #123
wow6599

Quote:
So, if you know some old WWII, Korean War, or Viet Nam vets don't be surprised if they don't hear very well.
One of the RO's at a range near me can't hear a thing; you have to repeat yourself over and over.
Last week I finally asked him if being around firearms has caused his hearing loss. The RO said that in Vietnam, they were told to use cigarette butts in their ears "if the noise bothered them".

Times have changed.....
Old October 24, 2013, 12:45 AM   #124
ArMagoo

I also use the double up method. I just picked up a pair of noise canceling ear muffs from Costco pretty cheap and they let in conversation but really help to cancel out loud noises!
Old October 31, 2013, 11:03 AM   #125
Gaiudo

Most gun shows do the molded rubber ear plugs that are customized to your ear canal, and often will harden as you wait or walk around the show. These lock in easily. I got some for me and my wife, and that's the only way I've been able to get her to shoot.

Then I combine that with the suppressor....

:-)