Quantcast
J.C. Higgins .22LR revolver - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Handguns: Revolvers

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old April 14, 2012, 10:56 PM   #1
PaulKersey3

J.C. Higgins .22LR revolver

I've been on the lookout for an old JC Higgins 9 shot for my old man. He used to have one with a 6'' that was his EDC (old timers were more about aim than stopping power.) I know SEARS had a run of them through the 70s, but they seem scarce these days. Anybody have any history with this piece? I've have experience with H&R which I thought was similar, but Daddy-O sez they don't compare to the Higgins target models. I'd love to find one for him.
Old April 14, 2012, 11:05 PM   #2
Jorg Nysgerrig

Was it this one? http://mrcompletely.blogspot.com/200...-model-88.html

JC Higgins was the private label Sears used and the different guns were made by different makers. That one was made by High Standard, so you might have some luck finding something similar from High Standard.
Old April 15, 2012, 01:45 AM   #3
PaulKersey3

The hi standard sears model 88 was the one, except it was deep blue and had a large frame plastic grip in a light burgundy, not unlike the H&R 922
Most ones I've seen for sale are the later curved black plastic grips like that. I'd have to say it was a late 50s to early 60s model he had. I'll have to ask him. I've seen pics so I'll see if I can find them.
Old April 15, 2012, 01:55 PM   #4
rcmodel
Contributing Member

http://unblinkingeye.com/Guns/Sentinel/sentinel.html

http://mrcompletely.blogspot.com/200...-model-88.html

rc
Old April 15, 2012, 03:59 PM   #5
DMH

Paul as to history on the pistol, here is an original owners manual for one that was handed down to me from my uncle in 1980. I grew up on this pistol, and as a kid in the 70's thought it was cool having a 9 shooter. I have not seen any at the gun shows.

Hope it's in focus enough to read.
David

Last edited by DMH; April 15, 2012 at 04:10 PM.
Old April 15, 2012, 04:14 PM   #6
DMH

I'll try photos again.

hope that is better.
Old April 15, 2012, 05:04 PM   #7
PaulKersey3

Thanks DMH! I'll always be on the lookout for one. I've seen them on broker for a couple hundred. The model 88 goes up on the board along with the old hi standard .380 I've been looking for all these years. Rare as a hens teeth that one! :-)
Old April 15, 2012, 05:22 PM   #8
rcmodel
Contributing Member

Not 108's, but:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=281373187

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=281655719

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=281685048

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=282319448

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=282340142

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=281844696

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=281851826

rc
Old April 15, 2012, 05:32 PM   #9
DMH

Paul, the High Standard Sentinel was made from 1954 to 1974 in the aluminum alloy frame. in 3", 4" and 6" barrels. Latter, but for a short run, may be 5 years or so there was an all steel frame .22s,l,lr available ( mark 1 ) I believe. Some were available with adjustable rear sights.

David
Old April 17, 2012, 11:22 AM   #10
Checkman

DMH your photos took me back some thirty-six years ago (1976) when my grandfather took me shooting for the first time in my life. We shot a Marlin Model 60, Colt Detective Special (both guns I now own) and a Hi-Standard Sentinel. Sadly he traded the sentinel away in the years before he passed, but at least the Marlin and Colt got to me. Thanks for the memories.
Old April 17, 2012, 02:56 PM   #11
AJMBLAZER

They're not common but on the auction sites like gunbroker, gunsamerica, et al they're not uncommon. Usually a few at any given time. Not terribly expensive either considering what they are.

That is if you will accept a High Standard in place of a J.C. Higgins. Wanting a J.C. Higgins does make them more difficult to find. Not impossible though.
Old July 21, 2012, 02:34 AM   #12
crimsontidertr

I think I may have a pistol like your dads with the light burgandy grips made by high standard and labeled J.C. Higgins model 88.The barrel length may be different.Mine measures about 4 1/2 inches from the end of the barrel to the front of the cylinder.
Old December 27, 2013, 03:57 PM   #13
Gun Master

J.C. Higgins Model 88 Revolver

My Higgins 88's cylinder star does not retract, after extracting spent shells, like my High Standard Sentinel Deluxe does. Is this normal for the 88 Model ?
Old December 27, 2013, 07:11 PM   #14
DaddioDan

Gun master.... I have an old High Standard R-100 which may be the same as your old JC Higgins. Like yours, the ejector star does not have a spring to automatically return it to the cylinder. Best evidence of this are the scratches left on the frame from the unretracted star!

Even so, mine has an acceptable DA pull and the SA pull breaks very clean.

It's not a Smith....but it sure has proven to be a fun and inexpensive plinker. That is, when I can find the elusive 22LR.

Daddio
Old December 27, 2013, 07:16 PM   #15
DaddioDan

I should add that I believe my R-100 dates from about 1956. I also believe the next model, R-101 and all subsequent revolver models, included the ejector star spring as one of the improvements.

High Standard built the JC Higgins revolvers for Sears and also a line for Western Auto.

Daddio
Old December 27, 2013, 07:54 PM   #16
Gun Master

J.C. Higgins Model 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddioDan View Post
I should add that I believe my R-100 dates from about 1956. I also believe the next model, R-101 and all subsequent revolver models, included the ejector star spring as one of the improvements.

High Standard built the JC Higgins revolvers for Sears and also a line for Western Auto.

Daddio
Thanks, Dan . You have relieved my mind . My gun looks almost new, timing is good and otherwise, seems to be in good working order. Apparently, everything is copacetic, and I will now feel relatively comfortable test shooting it . I really appreciate you positive input. Sorry, I can't do pics. HAPPY NEW YEAR !!!
Old December 29, 2013, 11:39 AM   #17
slrk

J.C. higgins 9 shot

Could be a Hi Standard double 9
Old December 29, 2013, 05:06 PM   #18
Gun Master

J.C. Higgins Model 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by slrk View Post
Could be a Hi Standard double 9
Actually, the Higgins 88 is based on the High Standard Sentinel R-100 (the 1st basic model). The Double Nine, although a High Standard revolver, has a totally different "Western" (cowboy) design. Thanks for the info.
Old September 26, 2014, 01:05 AM   #19
Gun Master

I don't know if it is too late to post this, but I shot My J.C. Higgins Mod. 88 today, and it did well.
Old October 2, 2014, 02:36 AM   #20
DMH

Not too late in my book. I have been finding 22longs and 22LR in the stores lately at close to normal pricing. Federal 325 bulk packs for $18.00 and Winchester 22 long. My 88 shoots shorts, longs and LR. at the 10 - 15 yard range, very little difference on POI. It is a fun revolver to take to the range. Ammo last a little longer vs. the Browning 1911-22.