Quantcast
Current Blackhawk .357s - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Handguns: Revolvers

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old July 31, 2016, 01:26 AM   #1
Cooldill

Current Blackhawk .357s

Well howdy, yall.

Been meaning to get me first single-action central-firing revolving belt pistol as of late. Been eyeballing the Ruger's Blackhawk .357 with convertible 9mm cylinder, short gunfighter's barrel model.

Any review on this one for current prod. models? Are they quality pieces, hit hard as ever? I don't want something that might fail me out on the trail. I plan to get a holster and custom ivory grips for it.

Thanks!
Old July 31, 2016, 02:06 AM   #2
shiftyer1

I don't have a new model but I have a lot of faith in ruger revolvers.
Old July 31, 2016, 03:11 AM   #3
Cooldill

Thanks, but I need to know if current quality control at Ruger has dropped like most companies lately.
Old July 31, 2016, 03:23 AM   #4
Barry the Bear

I don't buy single actions in .357 magnum, Sorry but to me they just beg for big note chambering .41 mag or bigger.
But that doesn't mean I don't love the Blackhawk line from Ruger. I have had 6 Ruger single actions (Blackhawks and old vaqueros) and they've all been great revolvers. Pictured below is my Lipsey edition bisley super Blackhawk, it is the most current of my bunch and it hasn't failed after 400 rounds of magnum and special loads through it. Quality is great, the cylinder locks up tight and the barrel is true. For an almost 800 dollar gun I expect it to be good but as with all things in life there are lemons and that can suck, but if your going for a single action , a current production ruger will serve you and your kid's grandad kids very well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160731_021503.jpg (119.2 KB, 74 views)
Old July 31, 2016, 06:57 AM   #5
Ohen Cepel

I don't think their QC has dropped. That said, always good to look at one if possible before buying.

Got a Single Seven in .327mag recently. Very well done firearm, the grips could be a better fit but not a show stopper.

Many options from Ruger and the distributor limited editions so I would look around some to see which model fits your needs the most. I've been looking for a Bisley Hunter myself since my eyes are going and I want to try a Bisley grip.
SAF Life Member
GOA Member
JFPO Member
MSI Executive Member
Old July 31, 2016, 08:08 AM   #6
bannockburn

Cooldill

Last "new" Ruger Blackhawk I got was one of the Flattop models in .44 Special. Fit and finish were done to perfection though I didn't care much for those cheesy plastic grips it came with. Ordered off right away for a pair of Ruger's rosewood grips and eventually had a pair of American Holly grips done up by Private's Custom Grips. Looks like ivory but a lot less expensive and goes great on a blued revolver!

Old July 31, 2016, 09:22 AM   #7
ChiefTJS

Right now there are the Lipsey's flat top convertibles available in blue and stainless and they are wonderful guns built on the slightly smaller mid frame and all steel. I have a 4-5/8" stainless one and couldn't ask for a better combination for me. The great news is that Ruger has customer service that is second to none and if there is an issue with the one you buy then it will get fixed. I've sent a few back over the years and they have been fixed perfectly and without question.
Old July 31, 2016, 10:29 AM   #8
FROGO207

I own a "few" Ruger single actions both old and new production. I see very little difference in the quality of them over the years FWIW. I like the SS versions best but both those and the blued versions are great firearms. As stated they will last a looong time with minimal problems. I own some that were made in the early 70's that have been shot for many thousands of rounds with no reliability problems. You are not buying a Python here but the quality versus price point is you get a much better deal on a Ruger if looking for a shooter IMHO.

The one thing that some revolvers have had for problems is rough chambers that cause hard extraction or the cylinder throats are small for the bore and the resulting inaccuracy when shooting lead bullets. Jacketed bullets accuracy are not bothered by this it seems. I now routinely polish the chambers and check the throats of the cylinders when accurizing any of my revolvers. FYI It happens to any brand of revolver when tooling wears.
Old July 31, 2016, 11:13 AM   #9
back40

I have several blackhawks, the most recent being a stainless .45 bisley convertible.

as mentioned, put your hands on one in person if possible. i have had issues with a few i've ordered sight unseen, that required a trip back to ruger. however, each time, ruger sent a prepaid shipping label and each were repaired to satisfaction for free. their customer service is second to none in my experience, and they stand behind their products even years down the road.

ruger produces a good quality product at a fair price point and i wouldn't hesitate to purchase a new blackhawk or vaquero. i'm already eyeing my next one.
Old July 31, 2016, 11:14 AM   #10
GooseGestapo

I've owned three ruger single actions made in the last four years. A . 45colt (full size),a Lipsey's special NM Flat-top convertible, and currently a .327mag Single 7. All three have/had thread choke. Shot/shoot jacketed bullets "fair", poorly to terribly with cast. I dumped the . 45's, considering trying to lap the .327, but it's so "tight" at the frame, I'm afraid that "fixing" the choke will otherwise ruin the barrel. If S&W would make a run ok K-frame .327's, I'd dump the S-7.
Old July 31, 2016, 01:35 PM   #11
Cooldill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry the Bear View Post
I don't buy single actions in .357 magnum, Sorry but to me they just beg for big note chambering .41 mag or bigger.
But that doesn't mean I don't love the Blackhawk line from Ruger. I have had 6 Ruger single actions (Blackhawks and old vaqueros) and they've all been great revolvers. Pictured below is my Lipsey edition bisley super Blackhawk, it is the most current of my bunch and it hasn't failed after 400 rounds of magnum and special loads through it. Quality is great, the cylinder locks up tight and the barrel is true. For an almost 800 dollar gun I expect it to be good but as with all things in life there are lemons and that can suck, but if your going for a single action , a current production ruger will serve you and your kid's grandad kids very well.
Barry, I get it. I do like .45 Colts as well.

But I plan to shoot the heck out of the gun, and since I don't reload a 9mm option would be MUCH more economical, even if I got the .45 ACP conversion cylinders. And around these parts of Eastern Kansas, a .357 magnum is all the medicine anything'd need to put it down.
Old July 31, 2016, 01:45 PM   #12
Cooldill

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefTJS View Post
Right now there are the Lipsey's flat top convertibles available in blue and stainless and they are wonderful guns built on the slightly smaller mid frame and all steel. I have a 4-5/8" stainless one and couldn't ask for a better combination for me. The great news is that Ruger has customer service that is second to none and if there is an issue with the one you buy then it will get fixed. I've sent a few back over the years and they have been fixed perfectly and without question.
I tried looking for a .357 convertible flat top in blue with 4 5/8" bbl... no such beast.
Old July 31, 2016, 01:55 PM   #13
abijohn

Bought a .357/9mm convertible last year. Fit and finish were just fine. Shoots better than I do. While it won't shoot out a knat's eye at 100 yards, not many guns can. Personal opinion, never can go wrong with a Ruger Blackhawk.
Old July 31, 2016, 03:46 PM   #14
Tallball

I have owned six Ruger SA revolvers over the years and have not had trouble with any of them. The newest one is something like four years old. I have a 6.5" Blackhawk in 357 that I bought used. Of my half dozen or so 375's and 38's, it is the most accurate.
Old July 31, 2016, 06:10 PM   #15
bannockburn

Cooldill

I tried looking at Ruger's website but they're having some technical problems so I couldn't find anything. Did find a new Flattop .357 with a 4 5/8" barrel (no 9mm. cylinder), on Gunbroker with a Buy it Now price of $604.99.
Old July 31, 2016, 06:36 PM   #16
VoodooMountain

Here's a flattop convertible

http://tooeleshootingsupply.com/shop...sh-ruger-5244/
Old July 31, 2016, 08:57 PM   #17
Cooldill

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoodooMountain View Post
That is EXACTLY what I am looking for. No doubt.

If only my funds weren't depleted for the month! Someone needs to buy the guns I have for sale on Gunbroker!!

As soon as I can, I want that gun. I plan to add some of the John Wayne yellow aged grips as well, and get a nice holster and cartridge slide. I might even get an actual gun belt, though it seems like my normal belt carry would be more practical.
Old August 1, 2016, 10:09 AM   #18
Ed Jaws

That's the company I got my Flattop from last year on sale, 549.00 + 9.95 shipping. Great gun, solid with hardly any end shake in the cylinder. 9mm was pretty accurate out of it too.

Be aware that you'll have to crank the rear sight almost all the way up as the front sight is really tall. If you're going to shoot anything lighter than 158gr bullet ammo you might have to file the front sight down or sight over the POI.

Also go over the screws and make sure they're tight. I found after a couple of times at the range the front trigger guard screw was loose. Shooting that screw loose seems to be a common problem for some. The front extractor screw seems to be the other one. I havenít had a problem since I went over all of them and tightened them down.

Enjoy you're new flattop when you get it.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg web_P1020795.JPG (185.2 KB, 354 views)
File Type: jpg web_P1020787.JPG (144.1 KB, 355 views)
Old August 1, 2016, 12:22 PM   #19
Schwing

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the current production Blackhawks. My brother in law just purchased the convertible model that looks identical to the one Ed Jaws has. The fit and finish are excellent and it shoots 9mm far better than I expected.

Since I do reload, I periodically load him up some 9mms that are sized to .358. They shoot as well as the .38s or .357s.
Old August 1, 2016, 12:34 PM   #20
TfflHndn

I have several of the Ruger SA revolvers, including two flat-tops, 9mm/.357 and .45auto/Colt. Great shooters, and I have not noticed any quality issues. Also have the Single Seven and a Single Six in .17HMR. If I had to pick one to buy again, it would be the Single Seven, but the others are all very close behind. I have not had the issues with sights that were mentioned above.
Pacific Division Individual Rifle Champion '85
All-Marine Matches '85
Pacific Division Rifle & Pistol Team Gold Medalist, '87
Pacific Division Individual Pistol Silver Medal, '87
Old August 1, 2016, 12:59 PM   #21
CraigC
Contributing Member

The late model flat-tops are good guns but I'd rather have an Old Model like this `58.

http://www.sixgunner.org
Old August 1, 2016, 03:01 PM   #22
P89DCSS

I bought a 357/9mm flattop and a flattop 44spl, both had to go back to the factory, they jammed up and stopped working. The 357/9mm had "repaired index pin" and re-fitted loading gate (while it was there, why not?) The 44spl needed new pawl.

Both are now well working.

When a single consumer has two defective guns out of a population of ~2000 pcs you're looking at a defect rate measured in the 10%~20% range.
Old August 2, 2016, 07:05 AM   #23
bannockburn

CraigC

Love those stag grips on your Blackhawk Craig! Look great being on a blued gun!
Old August 2, 2016, 01:54 PM   #24
Kookla

in all the years I've been haunting gun shops in the state, I've yet to come across a three screw Ruger centerfire. I've seen plenty of three screw Single Sixes, but never one of the big boys.
Old August 2, 2016, 09:48 PM   #25
Barry the Bear

Ya know I second that notion, I see pictures and read all sorts of notes either from taffin,keith, and Skelton and even the more knowledgeable people in this forum but I have never seen a three screw up close.