Quantcast
What happened to all the Nagant Revolvers - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Handguns: Revolvers

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old November 23, 2013, 07:24 PM   #1
vamo

What happened to all the Nagant Revolvers

Seemed like the market was flooded with these things just a year ago, and now they're gone. Now I realize we just had a major buying panic for everything that goes bang, but nagant rifles are well supplied now and most stores have a pretty healthy used gun section. You would think that the revolvers would come back too. Were there just not that many of them on the market in the first place?
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

-C.S. Lewis
Old November 23, 2013, 08:46 PM   #2
LAGS

I was thinking the same thing.
I have had a few in years past, and now they are all bought up.
They will probably end up being sold at gun shows cheap in a few years when the anno supply runs out and other guns are more plentiful once again.
Years ago it was the Astra 400's and 600's
Now you cant find them
Old November 23, 2013, 09:33 PM   #3
Kiln

Lots of them have been bought up by people just wanting a cheap gun. There aren't a whole lot of steel guns in that price range.
Old November 23, 2013, 09:53 PM   #4
Ash

And they are a decent 7-shot. Yeah, the double action trigger can be quite taxing, but they are relatively small, capable revolvers when used with the original Soviet ammo.
" ... "It is a law of nature to which no experience has ever furnished an exception, that the rising grander and opulence of a nation must be balanced by the decline of its heroic virtues." Alexander Tytler
Old November 23, 2013, 10:11 PM   #5
Ron James

A lot of people brought them just to hang on the wall. They never planed on shooting them. They were cheap and ugly as sin, obsolete the day the first one rolled off the assembly line, but they looked unique and strange. I picked up one several years ago just for that reason. I have shot it and still have ammo for it, but the fact is I will probably never shoot it again. I have too many good handguns to shoot.
Old November 24, 2013, 06:50 AM   #6
Ash

The only thing that could make them obsolete would be the speed of reloading. They are equal or greater in power to the side arms carried by most powers. 7 rounds of full-bore Russian ammo beats the 380/200 the British used in WWII, every handgun caliber the Japanese issued when they moved away from their Smith and Wessons, all French calibers issued until after WWII, and the revolver rounds issued in Norway, Sweden, the Austro Hungarian Empire, or Switzerland. Real Russian rounds are in the 38 Special realm.

Those Nagants with lighter main springs have pretty decent trigger pulls (okay, nothing comparable to a Colt, Smith, or Webley) as well, and these were meant to be fired single action unless in emergency. Considering no handgun is an ideal battlefield weapon, their reloading capabilities is not all that great. 7 shots before reloading gave the shooter an advantage over every other revolver in general use and gave equal shots to most auto pistols. It was not obsolete.

In a security role today, it remains serviceable. No, I'd not want to go up against baddies armed with 9mm's or anything like that, but guarding a factory against petty thieves it is sufficient.

Lest anyone think I would choose it over a Ruger or Smith, I would not. Like anyone, I don't shoot my Nagant very often as the ammo is not impossible to get, but not the easiest or cheapest either. I don't use it for home defense, either. A Ruger Police Service Six is about the same size and dimensions and is vastly better. Yet I see its value as a sidearm. I understand why the Soviets kept it for so long after 1917. If you get one of the competition Model 4 Nagant revolvers, you can experience what a Nagant can be.

Except for reloading, I rather be issued a Nagant over a WWII Enfield revolver.

In any case, Nagant revolver importation (or any surplus importation) is like that. While they are in the primary distribution channels, they seem plentiful and cheap (I was able to get them for $40 a pop the first time around, and with a pile of them, was able to get numerous with really nice triggers). When the first round of importation ended, before they arrived again, they became relatively scarce (still easy to get on Gunbroker) and prices doubled. The price now is triple what they once were. Unless another shipment is on the seas, that will be it. The secondary market will be where you have to look. They'll be around, just not as cheap as they were.
" ... "It is a law of nature to which no experience has ever furnished an exception, that the rising grander and opulence of a nation must be balanced by the decline of its heroic virtues." Alexander Tytler
Old November 24, 2013, 07:42 AM   #7
PabloJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
I was thinking the same thing.
I have had a few in years past, and now they are all bought up.
They will probably end up being sold at gun shows cheap in a few years when the anno supply runs out and other guns are more plentiful once again.
Years ago it was the Astra 400's and 600's
Now you cant find them
You can still find "pipe barrel guns" from Franco era. I seen nice one chambered for 9mm Parabellum with black duty holster and extra mag. The price was reasonable $400.

The Nagants must be all the rage on corporate desks as paperweights.
Old November 24, 2013, 11:07 AM   #8
Ash

Reasonable Astra 400 for $400 and you call a Nagant a paperweight?
Old November 24, 2013, 12:26 PM   #9
LAGS

@ Ash
Back in the late 70's I was buying the Astra 400's for less than $100.00 Ea.
They were so cheap because they were for the 9 mm Bergman 9x21 and not the 9x19.
I fixed them to shoot the 9mm luger for about $20.00 each.
They were Ugly, but a nice little gun.
Remember back then, nobody shot the 9mm, only the war bring back guys and maybe a few with S&W 59's or the old 39's
Old November 24, 2013, 12:39 PM   #10
Sebastian the Ibis

Russian stuff always seems to get imported in waves. When the Saiga ship comes in May/June everyone has them. Someone will buy a warehouse of nagant pistols and bring them in once some demand builds up.
Old November 24, 2013, 01:48 PM   #11
Carl N. Brown

Well, as Pete Cigar would put it:
Quote:
Where have all the Nagants gone, long time passing?
Where have all the Nagants gone, long time passing?
Gone to historic collectors and military match shooters, every one.
When will the latecomers learn? When will they ever learn?
For Nagant plug in any military gun formerly in cheap supply, now considered rare, precious or beautiful.
Old November 24, 2013, 03:30 PM   #12
Ash

I'm not going to put down the Astra, I like Astra products, even the ungainly-shaped blowback series. But an Astra's value lies more within the realm of collectors and make equally-useful paper weights as Nagants.
Old November 24, 2013, 04:09 PM   #13
Chicken-Farmer

Great Curio Collectable

My buddy and I purchased 10 of them about 8 years ago for $75 each. I kept one and he wanted the other 9. Shooting single action mine is pretty darn accurate up to 25 yards. Recoil is extremely light, and enjoyable. $75 was down right cheap for a fun range gun and piece of history. I think people sometimes forget that guns don't always have to be used for self defense. Sometimes they just have to bring a smile to your face when you shoot them.

Chicken-Farmer
Old November 24, 2013, 08:24 PM   #14
22-rimfire

I hope they are buried in folk's accumulations. I have no use for them. Wouldn't even spend $50 on one.
Old November 24, 2013, 09:22 PM   #15
Gun Master

Astra 400's and 1895 Nagant's

Picked up a nice Astra 400 in the mid-1990's for $100. Now they're worth 3 or 4 times as much. Got two 1895 Nagants within the past 12 months, for around $100 each, just before they went into hiding. A 1941 Tula and a 1943 Izheevsk, that are going for 2 to 3 times as much, if you can find them.

Last edited by Gun Master; November 24, 2013 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Also Mosin Nagant $100-now approx. $150.
Old November 25, 2013, 06:32 AM   #16
Ash

The 22, not everyone sees things in the same way. I'm glad you're not putting price pressure on Nagants, that leaves more for those who want one.
Old November 25, 2013, 08:35 AM   #17
PabloJ

Commercial Astra 9x19 in excellent condition with nice flap holster and spare mag is worth $400. Surplus Nagant is worth $75. The military/police Taurus 85s? with 4" bull barrels sold for about $160. These are easily 3x better then any plain Soviet Nagant out there.
Old November 25, 2013, 09:46 AM   #18
Ash

SA marked Nagant is worth more than $600, some having sold upwards at a grand, surplus Nagant is more than $150 these days, Model 4 target Nagant, considerably higher.

Value depends on goals. I'd not pay $400 for an Astra that can't compete on any level with a CZ-75 or Glock at that price. It isn't worth half that much. But, to a collector who is interested in unusual Spanish autos, the value can be $400 or higher - sometimes much higher. A used security guard or police Taurus can be a better self-defense arm than a Nagant (though a Nagant in original loading is a potent revolver), but it lacks any kind of history compared to the Nagant (or, at least, an unknown rather pedestrian history). Plus, they are mechanically boring second class copies of a Smith & Wesson.

Value lies in more than its use, otherwise nobody would pay $400 for an Astra.

Last edited by Ash; November 25, 2013 at 09:57 AM.
Old November 25, 2013, 10:37 AM   #19
Jim Watson

Nagant revolvers have gone the same place a dozen or more other surplus firearms have.
To the back of the gun case as the supplies of cheap surplus ammunition dried up.

Since 7.62x39 and 7.62x54R are still service rounds as earlier marks like MNs and SKS's are surplused, they will stay popular and active for a long time, the factories can keep churning out cheap steel ammo.
I would have thought 7.62x25 and 9.2x18 would go the same way to support surplus and new made "imitation surplus" pistols but apparently not so much.

Other calibers and guns are fading out of use because they are fully obsolete and no easy way to feed them.
Old November 25, 2013, 06:12 PM   #20
Ash

What of original chambered Webley revolvers, Nambus of any flavor, Rast & Gassers, Colt revolvers in 41 Colt, others? Have they no value when ammo is not flowing like milk or honey?
Old November 25, 2013, 06:37 PM   #21
aarondhgraham

Quote:
Have they no value when ammo is not flowing like milk or honey?
They have some collector value,,,
But no value to someone who wants to shoot their guns.

Many years ago I had a Forehand and Wadsworth revolver,,,
It was a beautiful little gun in chrome or nickel,,,
Most of it's life was spent in a sock drawer,,,
It was truly 99% original finish.

Once I fired the 40+ rounds of .32 rimfire that came with it,,,
I lost interest in owning it as I'm more into shooting than collecting.

I sold it within a year and never looked back.

I was almost ready to mount my 8mm Lebel revolver in a shadow box,,,
The only ammunition I could find was hand-loaded,,,
It wasn't all that expensive but unsatisfying,,,
Could barely hit the ground with it.

Then I accidentally stumbled on new manufactured ammo for it,,,
I bought 550 rounds and now my Lebel is a great gun again.

It would not be the one I would grab first in an emergency,,,
But if it were the only gun I could get my hands on,,,
I would not feel outgunned at all.

The moral of this story is,,,
If I can't shoot it I'm not all that interested in owning it.

Unless it's a Walker Colt,,,
In which case I'll take two please.

Aarond

Old November 25, 2013, 06:50 PM   #22
Ash

Except that commercial ammo is being made for the Nagant by two sources not counting surplus ammo.
Old November 25, 2013, 08:34 PM   #23
Chicken-Farmer

I reload very mild plinking rounds

When my buddy and I purchased our batch of nagants we also purchased sets of lee dies to convert 32-20 brass. I originally purchased 100 brass and the loads are so light that I have never needed to re-trim. My nagant is a fun range shooter. I have never shot any true nagant ammo out of it. I purchased enough 32 cal bullets to last me awhile.

Chicken-Farmer
Old November 25, 2013, 09:50 PM   #24
Gun Master

Aarond seems to be full of Aarond, but I agree with his methodology .
Old November 25, 2013, 10:33 PM   #25
22-rimfire

I understand collector value... I just don't like these guns in general and I have to like them to own one. Otherwise, I would be like Arrond who bought one and messed around with it for a year and then sold it off for something I like.

I however like all kinds of things many people don't get too excited about.