Quantcast
Identity and Date of Manufacture of Colt Revolvers - Page 5 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Handguns: Revolvers

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old October 14, 2014, 11:29 AM   #101
el indio

Radagast, I still need to know when the Colt Police Positive was made. Serial number 110xxx. My friend has been bothering me about it. Thanks
Old October 14, 2014, 12:57 PM   #102
Radagast
Contributing Member

Old October 14, 2014, 01:52 PM   #103
Old Fuff

When checking a supposed Colt Police Positive, first be sure it's a Police Positive and not a Police Positive Special. These were two entirely different models that were numbered in their own serial number series. Many people don't know they're is a difference.

But that's only the beginning of problems. Over time Colt started the Police Positive (chambered in .32 or .38 Colt New Police) on a common frame and numbered together. Later they introduce a slightly heavier frame for the .38 and numbered it in its own series. Then if that wasn't enough they started making .32's on the heavier .38 frame!

When seeking to find when a particular Police Positive was made, a clear photograph of the revolver and knowing the exact markings on the side of the barrel can help resolve the confusion. Unfortunately the frames themselves don't have any useful information stamped on them.
Old October 15, 2014, 11:59 AM   #104
el indio

Thank you gentlemen. The markings on the barrel of the revolver are Police Positive 32 police ctg. I'll try to post my photos. One photo is of the cylinder full of 32 S&W Long. Hope this helps both of you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GEDC0479.jpg (69.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC0480.jpg (69.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC0482.jpg (72.9 KB, 5 views)
Old October 30, 2014, 11:26 PM   #105
16in50calNavalRifle

I have a Colt King Cobra, 2.5-inch, matte stainless, at Colt right now for refinishing and some internal work. Serial # K159XX.

Checked Colt's online serial number look-up thinggy, no luck.

Date of manufacture? (the KC had two runs, I believe, cannot recall when they were, but there was an interruption and a resumption of production)

Thanks in advance ......

Last edited by 16in50calNavalRifle; October 30, 2014 at 11:27 PM. Reason: typo
Old November 7, 2014, 07:10 PM   #106
kBob

Old Fluff,

Could you give us those cylinder and window lengths.

I have the remains of a Nickeled Colt in .32 NP that I have used .32S&W long in. The sides of the frame and barrel and cylinder were high polish with all the rest of the frame and the cylinder flutes brush. It has brown plastic Colt grips and the serial number 525XXX indicates it is a 1949 Police Positive Special rather than a Police Positive.

Unfortunately BOTH sides of the barrel are heavily damaged or this would be much easier......

This is the gun I have mentioned elsewhere that is currently badly out of time. Looking at it tonight I plan to take a bit off the hand, a few passes at a time as it seems to over rotate and then when hand turned into bolt lock becomes well and truly jammed.

Help would be appreciated.

-kBob
Old November 9, 2014, 10:39 PM   #107
kBob

After following some links on the revolver area here I am even more confused.

As I wrote above the serial number seems to fit a Police Positice Special of post WWII vintage

It does have the side of the front sight that is toward the shooter ramped grooved. It does have the top most portion of the frame where the rear sight grove is grooved almost like the knurling on the edge of a coin. So sights sem right for post war, but every source indicated that the .32 NP chambering had been dropped after WWII.

The cylinder release has no knurling checkering or any thing to add friction.

The trigger is not grooved as post war are said to be but checkered on the face.

The grips are a plastic brown with some darker marbling with checkering and the medallion is not a medallion but part of the plastic casting and not a separate piece.

It has a square butt.

The end of the ejector rod is checkered and has a smooth stepped area before the rod.

It is missing a side plate screw. When it was being shot I used the screw in the forward hole under the cylinder window and trusted the left grip to hold while the rear screw hole was empty. Currently the screw is in the rear hole and the forward empty. I have not replaced it as I wanted a nickeled screw.

Curiouser and curiouser

-kBob
Old November 11, 2014, 07:08 AM   #108
JT-AR-MG42

kBob,
Like others mention, nothing takes the place of photos to get accurate description.
Figure you would have posted them if you had the ability (it took me 5 years to figure out how to do the photobucket route!).

Figure basic cylinder length of a Colt PP at 1 1/4" length, a Colt PPS should measure 1 5/8".
Difference is enough that there is no mistaking the two.

Based on your description.
Sounds like a standard Colt post-war dual tone (matte finish cylinder flutes and frame top and bottom) PPS.
By the mid 50's, dual tone was phased out.
I personally have never seen a 1956 Colt of any model that had a complete dual tone finish.

The .32NP was made in lesser numbers as the postwar years went by, but was chambered in all the D frame models until the mid 70s
(that is into the shrouded barrel era, but the .32s all had non-shrouded barrels) as Colt used up the parts.

Colt never threw away anything, keep in mind that the last Colt SAAs (5 1/2" .38 Specials)
with first generation serial numbered frames were assembled and sold in 1972.

Square butt was very common on the early post-war PPS.
Transition to round butt only was gradual through the mid 50s.

The trigger is curious though.
I've never seen a checkered D frame trigger on a gun with that late a date transition (1946-1950) date.
Adding that to my mental data base!

I'd have to see the grips, as repros have been made. Your knowledge of the guns history would be best guess if they are original.
The square butt Coltwood should have shiny (as opposed to dull) smooth borders with pronounced mottled colors.
I have a Colt OP from 1947 that came with Coltwood that has the silver metal medallions in place
and have seen other 1947 Colts with similar grips, but not on later transition year guns.

Good luck on the restoration.
I recommend you get on Amazon and buy a copy of Khunhausen's manual on Colt DAs before you file the hand.
There is no putting metal back on. Most hands actually need stretched (depending on the underlying timing issue), and this can only be done once.
Really, get the book, it is worth the money.

Hope this helps, JT
Old November 11, 2014, 06:13 PM   #109
kBob

If I got the right pictures this should be a shot og the checkered trigger and hammer area also showing the topstrap & rear sights

Before someone asks those little whitish squares in the rear sight are little bitty sections of "Ranger Eyes" the glow tape we used to mark the backs of our headgear with when solid OD color field uniforms were all the rage.

I know it is useless, a bad idea, and won't work......even if it has for 20 years now.

-kBob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00227.JPG (59.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00228.JPG (59.7 KB, 4 views)
Old November 11, 2014, 08:09 PM   #110
Old Fuff

Before WW2 Colt checkered hammer spurs, triggers and cylinder latches (thumb piece) by using a stamping process called "coining." After the war at some point in the 1950's they changed to machining serrations on the hammer spur and trigger face, and left the latch plain.

But during the Great Depression they had kept they're workers busy making parts they didn't need because without their skills and experience they literally couldn't make guns. The oversupply of some parts lasted through the 1950's at least, so sometimes you come across an unusual mix & match combination.

Concerning nickel plating. Colt nickeled a lot of Police Positive and Police Positive revolvers, because before stainless steel came along this finish offered the best corrosion protection that was available.