Quantcast
Stupid Question of the Day: .22 pellets out of a rifle - Page 2 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Ammunition, Gear, and Firearm Help > Handloading and Reloading

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old January 30, 2014, 01:18 AM   #26
gamestalker

Post #3,

Why does 15 grs. matter?

When dealing with the ratio of projectile weight to powder charge weight, a 15.0 gr. projectile weight difference factors in with great importance. However, since there is no way to know what kind of powder is in those blanks, everything is a complete trial and error operation.

With that said, you could very possible blow a case head, or worse. I blew up a bolt action 22 rifle once. Nothing I did, well actually I was shooting stingers out of it, and the owner manual clearly stated not to use hyper velocity ammunition, so. make sure you wear protective gear, you might need it, hope not.

GS
Old January 30, 2014, 08:27 AM   #27
jmorris

Gamestalker, he hasn't logged on in two months and the thread is 2 years old.
Old February 3, 2014, 11:39 PM   #28
MajorBison

back from the dead!!!

i have a new experiment: .22 jet bullets!!! i always wanted a truly-jacketed .22lr
these are .222 (NOT .223 or .224) so they should go down the barrel of the lr. i'm guessing that it might strip the rifling and worst case scenario, i get a kaboom. definitely using a string for this one.

wish me luck...

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/599...ose-box-of-100
Old February 4, 2014, 02:49 PM   #29
PJSprog

You guys are crazy.
Old February 4, 2014, 11:20 PM   #30
LightningMan

I tried something similar, I took a .22 cal pellet dropped in into the barrel of my Ruger MKIII then took a .22 LR round without the bullet or powder (just the priming compound, as I pulled the bullet & dumped the powder) dropped in behind the pellet closed the chamber & fired. It just seemed like I fired a pellet pistol and a rather weak one at that. LM
Old February 4, 2014, 11:52 PM   #31
GaryL

This may or may not apply to ramsets...

Just yesterday I was talking to one of our manufacturing managers, who had worked as an engineer at a major ammo company (something I didn't know before yesterday). We talked about the different ammo lines he worked on, and 22 was one of them. I asked what the biggest challenge was, and he said making sure they never had a double charge in 22 LR. I asked what sort of problems that would cause (I'm curious, and if someone has first hand knowledge...), he stated that there are some blow back designs that can't handle the pressure and parts will break. But he said even if gun parts don't break, case separation and brass shrapnel are almost guaranteed.

So, just more info and a suggestion to tread lightly onto the thin ice.
Old October 17, 2014, 02:43 PM   #32
LabattRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorBison View Post
back from the dead!!!

i have a new experiment: .22 jet bullets!!! i always wanted a truly-jacketed .22lr
these are .222 (NOT .223 or .224) so they should go down the barrel of the lr. i'm guessing that it might strip the rifling and worst case scenario, i get a kaboom. definitely using a string for this one.

wish me luck...

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/599...ose-box-of-100
Well what were the results? I'm really curious about how these turned out for you, especially after having recently seen the performance in this video:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...il-gun-blanks/
Old October 17, 2014, 03:21 PM   #33
jmorris

I find it hard to believe that a pellet went through 1/8" stainless.

Guess I'll have to stop by lowes tomorrow I have some of the same pellets already.
Old October 17, 2014, 03:51 PM   #34
LabattRED

I have to agree with you skepticism, but I'm hoping to try it out in the near future. If you pick these up tomorrow, I'd be interested to hear about your findings as well.
Old October 17, 2014, 11:32 PM   #35
gamestalker

Now you got my little brain ticking.

You know what might work, try filling the skirt with epoxy or JB Weld, JB would probably work better?But before you fill it, maybe expand the skirt slightly as well. That might reinforce the center and give it more to engrave, thus less blow by and gas cutting, maybe.

Just make sure you take safety precautions, especially eye protection, just in case something goes horribly wrong. Be pretty cool if you get some really good results, be sure to let us know.

GS
Old October 17, 2014, 11:39 PM   #36
gamestalker

Jmorris, opps, I guess I missed the part about how old the thread was. Is it me though that's bring the topic back to the front page? I just saw it come up today, which is why I responded to it, yet again, so I don't think it's just me?

Oh well, I'm getting old and must have missed that little detail.

GS
Old October 18, 2014, 02:02 PM   #37
jmorris

Well I tried out the #2,3 and 4 power ranges today in a 24" .22 rimfire barrel. The #4 disintegrated the pellet but it looked like the #3 and #2 were making round holes in paper at 15 yds or so, so I fired a few at a .112" thick (11ga) steel plate and the #3 was pretty close to making it through, the #2 made a significant dent as well and my RWS 34 left nothing except the lead smear.

Got out the chronograph and the #2 sent the 14.3 grain pellet out at 2067 fps. The #3 went 2141 fps. Will note that the #4 load separated the case on both shots fired and the #3 separated 2 of 5 but the #2 load seemed ok.

Old October 20, 2014, 07:13 AM   #38
LabattRED

Thanks for the detailed post. I'm rather impressed by your results, and glad to see some real chrono data finally.

I also tried this out over the weekend. However, my attempt was not as successful. I was using these pellets: http://cdn.pyramydair.com/images/Benjamin-BHP22.jpg
from an old Springfield single shot like this: http://picturearchive.gunauction.com...39634ef941.jpg

I didn't think to take any pictures at the time. I loaded the first round, using the #3 power. No issues during loading, and it fired with a substantial sound. The issue arose shortly thereafter, as the skirt of the pellet remained in the barrel, but the body had gone down range. There was a tight ring of lead in a full circle around the barrel about 1/2" from the breech. It tapped right out with a cleaning rod, though.

I intend to give this another shot, but will try a more substantial projectile.

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/p/H_N_Ra...olid_200ct/783
Old October 20, 2014, 11:41 AM   #39
jmorris

You have to make sure the pellet is in the rifling if not you will rip the skirt off.

I used a break open .22 for mine. Be carefull messing with these, they say on the box not to use them in firearms.
Old October 20, 2014, 01:38 PM   #40
Walkalong

Quote:
You have to make sure the pellet is in the rifling if not you will rip the skirt off.
Yep, y'all do please be careful.

"Oh bother" said Pooh, as he chambered another round. Author unknown.
Old October 20, 2014, 02:56 PM   #41
LabattRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkalong View Post
Yep, y'all do please be careful.
I was trying to ensure that there wasn't an air pocket between the casing and the pellet. Are you saying that it should be in direct contact?
Old October 20, 2014, 08:10 PM   #42
Kp321

Back in my misspent youth (early 1960's), there was a magazine article about velocities approaching 5000 fps with a 243 or 244 necked to 22 cal and using 15 gr sintered iron powder bullets from gallery loads. Accuracy was not mentioned but most of the bullets made it to the target. Funny, I can remember more of that article than what I read this morning!
Old October 20, 2014, 10:12 PM   #43
Walkalong

I am just saying to be careful, as in making sure the skirt isn't still in the barrel, etc.

Any time one tries things like this they are in uncharted waters and need to be careful.

Safety in reloading, or trying things like this, is important to me.

It has been suggested that this thread is off topic and should not continue, but I chose instead to remind posters and readers to be careful.

So, have fun, be careful, be safe.

"Oh bother" said Pooh, as he chambered another round. Author unknown.
Old October 21, 2014, 07:17 AM   #44
LabattRED

I didn't realize I'd incorrectly quoted the previous post. I hadn't intended to quote the "careful" statement. I was more curious about how one would ensure that there isn't an air pocket between the cartridge and projectile, while also verifying that the pellet was in the rifling. I would have expected that to be given, from a rifle that is chambered for .22 short, long, and long rifle.

In regards to being off topic, it seems we're still discussing the viability of the concept from the first post. However, that is your call to make. I'm new to the forum, but appreciative of the info contained in this thread.

I'm also interested in the model of break action rifle used in JMorris's test.
Old October 21, 2014, 09:46 AM   #45
jmorris

I used one of my Savage 24's.