Quantcast
I Messed Up, Need Ideas! Stuck BoreSnake - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Rifle Country

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Closed Thread

Old July 26, 2012, 10:45 PM   #1
Noah

I Messed Up, Need Ideas! Stuck BoreSnake (Resolved)

I know this is dumb but I have gotten a boresnake and a patch stuck in the barrel of my 5.45 Saiga immediately after the chamber.

I went to clean the gun, and, not paying attention, put a 12ga- sized cotton patch in the loop at the tail end of my boresnake. Used to a good deal of resistance, I didn't realize what I'd done until the loop and patch were very tightly lodged in the beginning of the barrel.

I've been working at it for several hours but have not come up with any form of effective solution. I've tried (for 2 hours now) to pull it rearwards using needle nosed pliers, and have only succeeded in shredding the loose areas of the patch not tightly jammed with the loop in the barrel. I've also confirmed that there is no way that the obstruction is getting pulled out. I tried soaking the obstruction in gun solvent for a few hours but it seems to have made no difference.

The gun has a 16" barrel, and I've used the boresnake (both with and without a proper sized patch) before several times.

I need some input and help. I'm out of ideas. I thought of the possibility of burning the patch from the rear, but I don't know if that is at all a practical idea.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0726122211a.jpg (52.4 KB, 195 views)

Last edited by Noah; July 27, 2012 at 10:15 AM.
Old July 26, 2012, 10:51 PM   #2
docsleepy

what exactlyis the loop made out of ?
Old July 26, 2012, 10:55 PM   #3
Noah

It's a green boresnake, I think it's nylon. As I said, IDK if I could burn the patch or not. The loop is made of the same material as the "snake" part of the boresnake.

http://www.hoppes.com/products/ca_boresnakes.html
Old July 26, 2012, 10:57 PM   #4
TexasPatriot.308

tie on to your pickup bumper....it will come out.
Old July 26, 2012, 10:58 PM   #5
Noah

Could that damage anything? I'd go with the 1950 Ford tractor.

I'd be afraid that it would snap somewhere outside of the barrel, just making things harder. I've tried pulling it out by anchoring it to a piece of solid furniture, and I was bending a 2x6 with no progress.
Old July 26, 2012, 10:59 PM   #6
JohnKSa

Is there enough accessible from the chamber end to thread another string through the weave of the boresnake? If so, you might be able to thread a cord through it and pull it out from the chamber end.

I also think you can probably pull it all the way through the direction it was already headed, but it won't be easy...
Old July 26, 2012, 11:01 PM   #7
docsleepy

OK, dunno if this will work.

use convex (magnifying glass) lens to focus midday sun on center of patch (aligned carefully with bore so as to be certain focused beam will not heat metal) while keeping ice cubes around barrel throat external area.

Idea is to bore through to ther nylon ring and cut it or reduce volume such that it will go through.

must avoid heating chamber to ignition-like temperatures, as this might damage hardness of metal. Just enough to cause smoldering of cotton patch. (let the gun lube evaporate away overnight)
Old July 26, 2012, 11:02 PM   #8
animator

maybe screw in a drywall screw into it and pull it out with some pliers... that was the first thing that came to mind Not sure on it's practicality...
Old July 26, 2012, 11:03 PM   #9
Noah

The picture of the chamber is a horrible cell phone picture with bad angle and lighting, but it is at least worth a few words if not 1,000. There is no part of the loop exposed, only tightly packed patch.
Old July 26, 2012, 11:05 PM   #10
Noah

I've thought of using a screw but was worried about scratching the chamber.
Old July 26, 2012, 11:06 PM   #11
animator

The other suggestion is a steel cleaning rod from the muzzle end. It'll hammer out eventually... or break the rod.
Old July 26, 2012, 11:08 PM   #12
Noah

Or scratch the rifling up...
Old July 26, 2012, 11:08 PM   #13
chaser_2332

Get a wooden dowel rod and put in in the muzzle end leaving a few inches sticking out to tap on with a something rigid. It should come out with a few swift taps.
Old July 26, 2012, 11:08 PM   #14
Texan Scott

wow... and cellulose is so resistant to non-polar solvents... tough one. can you cut the loop? better to lose the snake than the bore...

We're not supposed to trust them. We're supposed to hold them accountable.

Still, they must be good for something, or we wouldn't need them, right? right?
Old July 26, 2012, 11:09 PM   #15
chaser_2332

Lesson learned........ Dont clean your barrel
Old July 26, 2012, 11:09 PM   #16
Onward Allusion

Quote:
Noah
I Messed Up, Need Ideas!
How far into the barrel chamber? Throat? If it isn't too far in, you can use a pair of forceps.

http://www.amazon.com/SE-Forceps-Cur...ywords=forceps

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
Old July 26, 2012, 11:10 PM   #17
funnelcake

No way cotton or nylon set aflame for brief time would affect any metal tempering, etc. Douse it in something flammable and roast away. A bronze bore brush should clean out the aftermath.

Funnel
Old July 26, 2012, 11:12 PM   #18
wyohome

Tap the muzzle end to 3/16" NPT, screw in fittings and use compressed air. Saw off 3/4" of barrel when finished.
Old July 26, 2012, 11:13 PM   #19
Noah

Can't reach the loop due to packed patch in the barrel behind it.

I've been using forceps just like that, but can get no grip on the patch.

It is flush to the throat immediately after the neck in the chamber.

Would any molten nylon be possible to remove without damage?
Old July 26, 2012, 11:13 PM   #20
snakeman

Do not put anything else metal in there. You'll only succeed in damaging your bore! Call your local smith he'll know how to get it out.
Old July 26, 2012, 11:14 PM   #21
Noah

Quote:
Tap the muzzle end to 3/16" NPT, screw in fittings and use compressed air. Saw off 3/4" of barrel when finished.
I lack the skill to do that entirely...
Old July 26, 2012, 11:14 PM   #22
Moparnut

Oh man that sucks! The only thing I can think of is some sort of ram-rod. I would be afraid of messing up the chamber or the bore though.
Old July 26, 2012, 11:16 PM   #23
wyohome

Quote:
I lack the skill to do that entirely...
You have lots of barrel...practice, man!
Old July 26, 2012, 11:20 PM   #24
Moparnut

Actually an air nozzle with a rubber tip seated on one or the other might actually bust it loose. Have u tried wd40 yet?
Old July 26, 2012, 11:20 PM   #25
animator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah View Post
Or scratch the rifling up...
Nope. Any good steel rod will be coated so that shouldn't be an issue. Or use brass if you're overly worried about it.
Closed Thread