Quantcast
.303 Enfield shooters, if you're looking for cheap ammo, I've found some! - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Rifle Country

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old October 23, 2014, 10:03 PM   #1
Carolina Kalash

.303 Enfield shooters, if you're looking for cheap ammo, I've found some!

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/AMM-A13450C

Never seen this stuff before, (granted I don't have much of a reason to look for .303 British, so if this stuff is old news, my bad) and I know .303 isn't the cheapest ammo or the easiest to find, figured I'd share this with yall.

Proud owner of:
-WASR 10/63
-Mosin-Nagant 91/30 (1943 Izhevsk)

R.I.P. Mikhail Kalashnikov
Old October 23, 2014, 10:14 PM   #2
Robert

I would not buy from CTD if they were the last place left to get ammo on earth.

Superior gear will never make up for a lack of training or attitude.

When your time comes to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home.- Chief Tecumseh
Old October 23, 2014, 10:40 PM   #3
Gottahaveone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert
I would not buy from CTD if they were the last place left to get ammo on earth.
Ditto. I wouldn't buy from those crooks if it was a penny per round. Never saw a less ethical business in my life
Old October 23, 2014, 10:43 PM   #4
Steve61

That is a great price on excellent ammo. I still have some of this stashed away from many years back and it is accurate, high quality, and reloadable. I just wish it was available from someone else like AIM or SGAmmo. It's very tempting though.
Old October 23, 2014, 10:44 PM   #5
Carolina Kalash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottahaveone View Post
Ditto. I wouldn't buy from those crooks if it was a penny per round. Never saw a less ethical business in my life
Never bought from them. As a matter of fact I haven't bought any firearms, or ammo, or much of anything gun-related or not online. If what yall are saying is true, then I won't be buying from CTD if I ever do start getting stuff online.

Proud owner of:
-WASR 10/63

Old October 23, 2014, 10:51 PM   #6
Gottahaveone

If you're near Lake Wylie, you're about 10 miles from me. I've got a 25 yard range, shoot me a PM and we'll get together and make some Mosin noise and I'll fill you in......
Old October 24, 2014, 07:34 AM   #7
philuk44

Not going to comment on CTD - we don't have them on this side of the pond - but the HXP ammo is good stuff and I'd love to get some at that price.
Old October 24, 2014, 09:34 AM   #8
AlexanderA

HXP .303 at 40 cents a round (including stripper clips) is a smokin' hot deal. I too am a bit leery of CTD, but I just ordered two cases. Got an email saying that it's been shipped. I'm anxious to see what I actually get, and when I get it.
Old October 24, 2014, 10:21 AM   #9
bainter1212

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderA View Post
HXP .303 at 40 cents a round (including stripper clips) is a smokin' hot deal. I too am a bit leery of CTD, but I just ordered two cases. Got an email saying that it's been shipped. I'm anxious to see what I actually get, and when I get it.
+1
I have withheld my business from them for years....but I couldn't pass this up. Thanks OP.
I figure I can flip one case once the supply dries up again and make my money back (don't hate me, I am not a regular flipper).
Old October 24, 2014, 10:32 AM   #10
Robert

Agh, that is a good deal. The chargers alone are worth that. And they come with free ammo...

Superior gear will never make up for a lack of training or attitude.

When your time comes to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home.- Chief Tecumseh
Old October 24, 2014, 11:36 AM   #11
loose noose

I too have no use for CTD, I used to buy from them, several years ago but what they did during the Obamanation disaster, turned me off big time., regardless of their costs, not to mention there shipping costs from different warehouses.
Old October 24, 2014, 12:37 PM   #12
Cooldill

Nice!

Wonder how long this .303 surplus will last? Ten minutes?

I think I'll pass and spend the money on 7.62x54mmR surplus which can be had for 18 cents a round and has been available for years at the price. It's also still being made and used by tons of armies around the world so surplus is in no danger of drying up anytime soon, unlike .303 Brit and 8mm Mauser which is almost all gone save for tiny pockets like this.
Old October 24, 2014, 02:10 PM   #13
RCArms.com

I reload for .303 and its one of my favorite calibers. Despite my feelings about CTD, it's an excellent price for non corrosive ammo in boxer primed reload able cases, not to mention on chargers.

www.RCArms.com
Old October 24, 2014, 03:56 PM   #14
Steve61

The ammo looks good. Here's a link to someone at AR15.com who just got it delivered from CTD and took some pictures.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_14/43...age=2#i4163366
Old October 24, 2014, 06:33 PM   #15
Cooldill

Looks good, I'd buy it while it lasts because it won't last long!
Old October 24, 2014, 07:11 PM   #16
SlamFire1

Years ago I bought a bunch of Greek HXP 303 and am of the opinion that it was the best made 303 British that I ever shot. It is not match ammunition, but the cases were well made, the stab crimp not much of a bother. However, it should be understood that the gunpowder in these rounds is old and that can, in fact, will in time, cause pressure problems. Old ammunition does not get better with age.

Here is some of my data, I was disappointed with the low velocities I got with Winchester factory.

No. 5 Mk 1 Jungle Carbine

174 gr HXP50 Greek Ball

23 Sept 01 T=74 F

Ave Vel = 2351
Std Dev = 26
ES = 96
Low = 2299
High = 2395
N = 13

No. 4 MkII

174 grain Greek Ball HXP 70

8 Feb 2012 T = 50 F

Ave Vel = 2423
Std Dev = 14
ES = 53
High = 2456
Low = 2403
N = 14

180 grain Winchester Silvertip Factory Ammunition

8 Feb 2012 T = 50 F

Ave Vel = 2297
Std Dev = 14
ES = 46
High = 2319
Low = 2273
N = 10
Old October 25, 2014, 12:17 AM   #17
nathan

Nothing feels good like the No 4, the mainstay of the British Empire that we ve known. I wish i bought that like new Fazakerley Irish contract i ve found in a pawn 11 yrs ago priced For $350.
Old October 25, 2014, 08:42 AM   #18
Normandy

HXP is the best quality factory ammo you will find, anywhere.
Old October 28, 2014, 09:37 PM   #19
Steve61

Temptation got the best of me and I ordered two cases of the 303 on clips. They arrived today and overall I'm pleased. Out of 900 rounds, only 20 cases showed signs of tarnish. Of those, I threw away 8 of them. I also had some empty Australian 50 rd 308 bandoleers laying around and the 303 and clips fit inside them perfectly. I think I'm set for a few more years at least.
Old October 29, 2014, 11:20 AM   #20
another pake

Shoot for fun, neck size, top off with Woodleighs.

Life Is Good.
Old October 29, 2014, 11:27 AM   #21
wojownik

Great deal from a company that is on my permanent ban list.

This one hurts, but I will stand fast and NOT do business with CTD.

Also, their shipping charges are not great ... $30+$2.99 handling to my area, compared to $18 flat from several other vendors.

Last edited by wojownik; October 29, 2014 at 11:39 AM.
Old October 29, 2014, 11:34 AM   #22
ClickClickD'oh

I was surprised to see Remington made .303 in an Academy Sports yesterday $24-$25ish for a box of 20.

Not as cheap as the CTD stuff... but then again, you don't have to deal with CTD.
Old October 29, 2014, 01:03 PM   #23
GBExpat
Contributing Member

Location: Rural, far beyond the beltway, Northern Virginia, USA
If you figure that the Mk4 Chargers are worth ~$1/ea, the ammo costs ~28/rd, delivered. ($214 - $90 = $124/450 = .275555).

I received the box that I ordered today. A few of the rounds could stand some cleaning, but no tarnish or corrosion issues.

All appear to be 1976 with a green annulus.

I just ordered a 2nd box.

Many thanks for the Heads-Up, Carolina Kalash!
Old October 29, 2014, 01:38 PM   #24
Carolina Kalash

Quote:
Many thanks for the Heads-Up, Carolina Kalash!
No problem buddy. Just kinda stumbled upon it, figured I'd let yall know. It dosen't seem like cheap .303 Enfield is easy to find.

Proud owner of:
-WASR 10/63

Old October 29, 2014, 01:49 PM   #25
GBExpat
Contributing Member

Location: Rural, far beyond the beltway, Northern Virginia, USA
6-8 years ago I stumbled into a listing at Dan's Ammo for S'thAfrican R1M3z (probably considered to be 2nd best .303Brit milsurp after the HXP).

Apparently, I just happened to open the page right after they had uploaded the listing.

I quickly placed an order for 1k rounds and then dashed to a couple of different forums that I frequented to spread the word.

Unfortunately, their stock was, apparently, limited and no one else managed to get any ordered.

Ahhh... if only R1M3z were boxer-primed.