Quantcast
Left Hand 7mm-08 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Rifle Country

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old January 2, 2015, 07:58 PM   #1
airbus300

Left Hand 7mm-08

I've begun looking for a left hand 7mm-08 bolt action for my son. Synthetic stock preferred. I can't seem to find many options. Remington makes a 700 SPS youth lefty but with my 700 now on its 3rd trigger I'm a little ticked at Remington these days. It also doesn't need to be a youth gun. He is big enough for a standard stock these days. Anyone have any suggestions?
Old January 2, 2015, 08:01 PM   #2
CarJunkieLS1

Doesn't Savage make a left handed 7-08? Also Thompson Center may offer a left handed model also.
Old January 2, 2015, 08:55 PM   #3
armedwalleye

Look for a used Browning A bolt, but it's gonna be a wood stocked gun. Southpaw in 7-08 in synthetic is gonna be a really short list. As a lefty myself, you know how I know.
Old January 2, 2015, 09:06 PM   #4
Matthew Temkin

What about a Remington???
Old January 2, 2015, 09:12 PM   #5
Ankeny

My brother has a left hand Savage Weather Warrior (model 16?) and it shoots really well. So well, I bought one in right handed.
Old January 2, 2015, 09:17 PM   #6
cottswald

Yea it can be tough for us lefties. I'm seriously considering the Savage Trophy Hunter XP. It only comes in a package that includes a 3-9x40 Nikon scope. Comes with the AccuTrigger. Has a synthetic stock that doesn't seem much to brag about though. Can be had for about $500. There's also the Savage Axis and the Ruger American, but they're both low end rifles that look and feel the part. If you're willing to spend more I would consider Tikka, they have several LH models and reviews seem to be very good.
Old January 2, 2015, 09:18 PM   #7
MrBorland

Savage Axis...
http://www.hyattgunstore.com/savage-...synthetic.html

As mentioned, Tikka makes LH rifles, including synthetic stocks, but the only ones I see actually available are the wood-stocked Hunters.
Old January 2, 2015, 09:20 PM   #8
Elkins45

Savage makes it in both the 10 and the Axis. I don't know if the Tikka T3 is available, but mine in 308 is fantastic.

I don't own an assault weapon. I own a counter-assault weapon.
Old January 2, 2015, 09:20 PM   #9
homers

Ruger American, left hand 7mm-08

NRA Life Member
Old January 2, 2015, 09:25 PM   #10
oneounceload

As a LH, personally I find RH shotgun and rifles to be just fine for LH shooters as I can hold the wrist in my left hand and either work the rifle bolt or load a semi shotgun real easy

"When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty."
Thomas Jefferson
Old January 2, 2015, 09:52 PM   #11
wild willy

I'am a lefty too and I find right hand bolts a PITA to use.If it was so great for a lefty to use right hand bolts it would be equally great for right handers to use left hand bolts and the world would be full of left hand bolts.
Old January 2, 2015, 10:11 PM   #12
DM~

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild willy View Post
I'am a lefty too and I find right hand bolts a PITA to use.If it was so great for a lefty to use right hand bolts it would be equally great for right handers to use left hand bolts and the world would be full of left hand bolts.
That's my EXACT feelings too!

I'm SO GLAD I switched to LH bolt guns in the 70's!

DM
Old January 2, 2015, 10:15 PM   #13
d2wing

I am really happy with my new Tikka T3, another rifle I looked at was the Weatherby youth model.
Old January 2, 2015, 10:34 PM   #14
kscharlie

There are currently over 300 left hand bolt action rifles listed on GunBroker. Savage Axis from $300, Ruger American from $350, others from Savage, Ruger, Remington, Tikka, Browning and others. Youth models, stainless, .243, .260, 7mm-08 among others. Lots of choices. I am trying to decide whether or not to "pull the trigger" on a LH Tikka T3 Lite, probably in 7mm-08.
Old January 2, 2015, 10:56 PM   #15
Elkins45

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneounceload View Post
As a LH, personally I find RH shotgun and rifles to be just fine for LH shooters as I can hold the wrist in my left hand and either work the rifle bolt or load a semi shotgun real easy
Carry a LH bolt gun at ready position against your chest for a few hours with the bolt knob poking into your ribs and tell me if you still feel that way. My inline ML has a RH bolt and it is a constant reminder of why my centerfire hunting rifles are almost all left handed these days.

That's not the worst: if you ever experience a blown case head with the wrong handed gun a jet of hot gas will burn into your support hand. I had a case head fail in a LH 270 rifle and the gas blew full boxes of ammo off the shooting bench to my left. If that had been a RH rifle it probably would have blown off a finger on my support hand.

I don't own an assault weapon. I own a counter-assault weapon.

Last edited by Elkins45; January 2, 2015 at 11:01 PM.
Old January 2, 2015, 11:06 PM   #16
airbus300

If I can find a Tika T3 lefty in 7mm-08 I think I'm in. He already loves to hunt and shoot. I think he will keep up with it and that's why I think I'll pass on some of the entry level guns. I'll make the investment now and keep it. Now I just have to find one. My second choice would be to just get a nice wood stocked browning and if he ever wanted to restock it later just address it then.
Or even a ruger M77. Thanks for all the help especially from you lefties.
I figured out he was crossed up--- left eye and right hand dominate after he got his first gun, a Remington 700 youth. It was easier to change hand than eye. He uses it but the more he shoots I think it's time to invest in a lefty for him.
Thanks again
Old January 3, 2015, 01:45 PM   #17
airbus300

Just saw the Savage 16/116 in stainless. I LIKE that gun. I may need to get one for ME too. I think I've found his gun. Thanks again to all.
Old January 3, 2015, 09:06 PM   #18
jeepnik

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunkieLS1 View Post
Doesn't Savage make a left handed 7-08? Also Thompson Center may offer a left handed model also.
Yep, the 11/111 series, and I do believe their new "Package Gun" is available in 7mm-08. At least according to the article in American Rifleman.
Old January 4, 2015, 08:12 AM   #19
GooseGestapo

It's also really difficult to find "left hand" ammo for those left handed guns !!!

(I had an "old school" training officer when I started working for PD in the late '70's that called marijuana, "left handed" cigarettes...)

Trigger's can be problematic (long, mushy pull), but the Browning BLR is "left hand" friendly; and is available in 7mm-08.

I shoot long guns "left handed" due to dominant left eye.
Therefore, I have a strong preference for lever actions. Especially Marlin's, as the trigger's are essentially same design as M1911's, and are easy to do trigger job's on.(own nearly a dozen!!!)

I've had a couple of left handed bolt actions. Just couldn't warm up to them.

also; -airbus300; I'm a pilot: I don't fly "airbuses"! If it ain't a Boeing (jet) , or powered by Lycoming (piston); I ain't a going !!!

Last edited by GooseGestapo; January 4, 2015 at 08:22 AM.
Old January 4, 2015, 11:36 AM   #20
AKElroy

Quote:
Just saw the Savage 16/116 in stainless. I LIKE that gun. I may need to get one for ME too. I think I've found his gun. Thanks again to all.
Excellent choice. My LH .308 shoots 1/2 MOA. It took a good number of rounds to get the barrel shot in, but it is now the most accurate rifle Ive ever owned. This is the accustock/accutrigger Weather Warrior. Bushnell Elite 5x15x50 AO, DNZ 4-screw rings/mounts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (128.9 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by AKElroy; January 4, 2015 at 11:47 AM.
Old January 4, 2015, 06:10 PM   #21
airbus300

That's a beauty.
Goose, I was an AF guy. Flew c130s. That will always be my favorite.
It was 727, DC10 and now Airbus
Airbus and modern guns suffer from the same problem
Too much plastic
Old January 4, 2015, 09:54 PM   #22
hseII

Left Hand 7mm-08

I have a SS LH ABolt in .270 I bough in 2004: certainly there is a few 7-08s as well.

Have you searched Gunbroker, GunsAmerica, etc?...

By the way, I've got plenty of other rifles, 700lh in 300WM. 22-250,( for a few more days, come on .260...), but that ABolt is my Deer Rifle.

It don't play, and nobody shoots it but me.

Leupy vx-3 4.5x14x40LR
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420423385.712783.jpg

Last edited by hseII; January 4, 2015 at 10:05 PM. Reason: added info and pics
Old January 5, 2015, 03:24 PM   #23
CB900F

Airbus;

If possible, check the Savage & a Tikka back-to-back. My two-cent bet says you'll go with the Tikka. I created my custom LH 6.5 Swede on Tikka action not only with no regrets, but with a distinct inclination to firmly and enthusiastically suggest Tikka every time. So much so that I now have several other, stock, Tikka's in the safe.

I now know that the Tikka Super Varmint is also chambered in 6.5 X 55mm Swedish Mauser. It calls to me, oh my word does it call to me.

900F