Quantcast
Are Gun Owners Profiled the same way? - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Social Situations > Legal

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Closed Thread

Old June 4, 2015, 12:58 PM   #1
X-Rap

Are Gun Owners Profiled the same way?

As a proud owner of both and reluctant license holder of the required gov. documents I'm wondering if I'm considered a double threat?
Never heard of this reporter/blogger but if what he is reporting is true it should remove all doubt.

http://rickwells.us/own-a-motorcycle...ot-watch-list/

He then went on to say, Its the same as firearms, if local P.D or Highway Patrol were to pull someone over that is a registered firearm owner, that officer has the right to know this information going into the interaction, the same could be said about a local P.D or Highway Patrol Officer that pulled over a registered motorcycle owner, the situations are honestly interchangeable in the eyes of National and Homeland Security.
Old June 4, 2015, 01:04 PM   #2
knfmn

The guy is an idiot, IMO. Why in the world is it any of the police's business if you own guns, or how many you own? When is the last time you heard about a legally compliant gun owner randomly opening fire on a cop during a traffic stop? This attitude of "anything goes as long as I make it home at the end of the shift" has got to stop.
Old June 4, 2015, 01:28 PM   #3
calaverasslim

Geez! KNFMN, have you ever heard of gun registration? While I feel that it isn't any of their business whether I ride a bike or own a gun, registration tells them all.
Old June 4, 2015, 01:47 PM   #4
Sam1911

Ok, aside from being a very silly web page, he doesn't seem to pick very credible sources (if his source is actually a real person).

“It’s the same as firearms, if local P.D or Highway Patrol were to pull someone over that is a registered firearm owner, that officer has the right to know this information going into the interaction,"

I'd expect "an official who currently holds a position within a national security branch of the federal government," to be cognizant of the fact that there are very few places in the country where anyone could be considered a "registered firearm owner." The term doesn't even have meaning for the residents of all but a partial handful of states.

"...with liberty and justice for all." (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states.)
-D. Stanhope

Sights Practical Shooters -- IDPA

My Knife Showroom
For Sale
Old June 4, 2015, 01:50 PM   #5
Sam1911

LOL!

Score one for not-stupidity! http://www.snopes.com/media/notnews/motorcyclegang.asp

Snopes says:

Quote:
Although the National Report is a well known fake news site, many readers were fooled by the story when it was republished on a domain designed to look like that of the Washington Post. However, that domain (Washingtonpost.com.co) has no affiliation with the real newspaper.

The rumor that the FBI has all registered motorcycle owners listed as gang members received another viral push when it was posted to the "Opposite Lock" section of the automotive blog Jalopnik. That web site quickly realized their mistake, however, and published a second article stating that the "FBI motorcycle gang list is fake."

The National Report, where the story originated, is a "satire" site whose disclaimer states that "all news articles contained within National Report are fiction, and presumably fake news. Any resemblance to the truth is purely coincidental."

So once again we see a purported "conservative" web blog come out as a broadcaster of misinformed alarmist drivel. "We" aren't our own worst enemy, but we sure try hard to be.

"...with liberty and justice for all." (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states.)
-D. Stanhope

Sights Practical Shooters -- IDPA

My Knife Showroom
For Sale
Old June 4, 2015, 01:58 PM   #6
X-Rap

Alright did some checking and it appears to be a bogus article. Guess it wasn't something that would surprise me. Might as well lock it up.
Sorry
My daughter who is in the industry (power sports/cycles) had it posted on some social media.
Old June 4, 2015, 01:59 PM   #7
Jeff White

Do they really register guns where you live? The idea that guns are registered everywhere in the US comes from the entertainment industry where writers think that the whole country registers guns like they do in New York City. The truth is that guns are not registered in most places in the US. I live in Illinois, one of the two states (New Jersey is the other one) to register gun owners. The state knows that I have a FOID card, but they do not know if I actually own a gun. For them to know if I had a gun they would have to hit up every gun dealer in the country and see if they had a 4473 on file after I bought a gun.

The FOID list is available to Law Enforcement, but it's a separate inquiry it doesn't come back automatically when a persons name is run through LEADS and NCIC. While the Feds may be illegally keeping a database (there are laws specifically forbidding that) of 4473s that were turned in when gun dealers went out of business, they would have a very tiny and incomplete database. A police officer cannot run an inquiry through NCIC and find out if someone is a gun owner. He may be able to find that out in a jurisdiction where they actually register guns through a local database, but it's not available nationwide.

Some states (TN is one) return if a person is a CCW holder when an officer runs an inquiry and some don't.

The idea that everyone who owns a motorcycle is listed as a gang member in NCIC is simply ludicrous. If you are going to be listed in NCIC with an officer safety alert as a gang member you have to meet certain criteria, such as actually being a member of a 1%er motorcycle club through law enforcement contact or intelligence.

Saying that every gun owner and every motorcycle owner is listed as a threat is just plain crazy. That is like saying that every African American and Hispanic American is listed as a street gang member. It's simply not true.

I would say that Mr. Wells has agenda and stretching the truth may be helping him achieve it.
Old June 4, 2015, 02:12 PM   #8
X-Rap

I can't count how many times I've heard in the MSM from reporters as well as officials who should know better claims about registered guns and owners so that slip is hardly a tell.
I wouldn't have even seen the article if it hadn't come from someone in the cycle industry and I'm sure it will be making the rounds there for a while.
I've had enough background checks done to know that they know I'm a gun owner, that's not my issue. I will say that crossing into Canada a year ago brought out a fair amount of questions after my Passport was scanned so I question the privacy of my dealings.
Old June 4, 2015, 02:23 PM   #9
Frank Ettin

Bogus information. Nothing worthwhile to discuss.

Folks really need to not believe everything they read on the Internet.