Quantcast
A Japanese Beetle Will Fit Through a .30 Cal Mouth - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Ammunition, Gear, and Firearm Help > Handloading and Reloading

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old October 28, 2014, 10:58 AM   #1
TenDriver

A Japanese Beetle Will Fit Through a .30 Cal Mouth

Yep.

I reload in the garage, and every Spring I have Japanese Beetles everywhere. My sized - ready to load cases reside in closed containers, but on one occasion I left the .30-06 container open overnight. During the next reloading session I had beetles in there, and sure enough, dead beetles in several cases. They have to be crunched up with something to get them out before priming.

Apparently I missed one. I decided to swap out my Hornady FMJ bullets with M2s on some I loaded a while back, and while dumping the powder into a new primed case heard a "click" inside the original round. Sure enough, I could see Japanese beetle butt in the case I had just unloaded. Checking things out a little more, the beetle made little noticeable difference in the powder level inside the case when compared with an insect-free charged case which might be why I didn't notice it when they were loaded.

Looks like I've got some work to do as there are 250+ rounds I feel it necessary to pull and check for beetles. That brand new .308 collet is going to get some work.
Old October 28, 2014, 11:06 AM   #2
Walkalong

I wouldn't worry with it. Shoot em. Cover the cases next time.

"Oh bother" said Pooh, as he chambered another round. Author unknown.
Old October 28, 2014, 11:10 AM   #3
fguffey

Ten driver, I purchased 1,400 vases from Buck Horn, NC. cheap. $14.00 dollars , that was .01 cent each. Each case had a black dirt dobber sealed up in the case. I was informed by a Hawaiian Gunsmith I had 30 Cal bees, the only thing worst is the Hawaiian 20 caliber bee. He suggested I plug all holes I did not want plugged after importing them.

I allowed the wasp to mature and leave the cases, problem, I did not inform the wife. She opened the garage door and witnessed a small black cloud exit. the good news, wasp eat web worms and other caterpillars.

F. Guffey

Last edited by fguffey; October 28, 2014 at 11:11 AM. Reason: change t to T
Old October 28, 2014, 11:11 AM   #4
Walkalong

Lesson learned, always tell the wife.

Old October 28, 2014, 11:35 AM   #5
TenDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by fguffey View Post
Ten driver, I purchased 1,400 vases from Buck Horn, NC. cheap. $14.00 dollars , that was .01 cent each. Each case had a black dirt dobber sealed up in the case. I was informed by a Hawaiian Gunsmith I had 30 Cal bees, the only thing worst is the Hawaiian 20 caliber bee. He suggested I plug all holes I did not want plugged after importing them.

I allowed the wasp to mature and leave the cases, problem, I did not inform the wife. She opened the garage door and witnessed a small black cloud exit. the good news, wasp eat web worms and other caterpillars.

F. Guffey
I LOL'ed. That's awesome. Reminds me of the swarm of wasps I saw takeover an airplane one day. They were loading up next to us as I watched a grey cloud swarm into the cargo hold. Two ramp guys came flying out of the back. This airplane had the hold at the back of the airplane and a couple of small passage ways from the hold to the cabin. A few minutes after the hold was evacuated, the cabin evacuated as well. Took the company almost a full day to eradicate the stinger equipped invaders.

I thought about shooting what I have loaded, but I can't be sure there isn't another beetle loaded up in another round. No clue what would happen if I touched off a round like that. Might be nothing, might be something.
Old October 28, 2014, 01:36 PM   #6
Walkalong

Quote:
No clue what would happen if I touched off a round like that. Might be nothing,
My vote is nothing. I wonder how many small critters have been launched down range over the years.

Old October 28, 2014, 02:03 PM   #7
Sunray

Is that officially everything has been seen? Your bugs will be instantly vapourised when the primer ignites the powder. Grinding 'em in the case might have gotten bug guts into the primer.
Old October 28, 2014, 02:12 PM   #8
TenDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunray View Post
Is that officially everything has been seen? Your bugs will be instantly vapourised when the primer ignites the powder. Grinding 'em in the case might have gotten bug guts into the primer.
I ground them up before priming. The loaded case that had the bug in it I de-capped after getting the bug out to make sure.

Crunchy little buggers.....

I wonder if a bug that size would keep the powder from igniting since it's probably right next to the flash hole.
Old October 28, 2014, 04:51 PM   #9
Catpop

I unloaded about 5 .357 cartridges the other night for some reason and found another surprize in my cracker jacks- a 22 lr case. Go figure! Catpop
Old October 28, 2014, 05:56 PM   #10
TenDriver

That's a new one!
Old October 28, 2014, 06:14 PM   #11
dprice3844444

the only thing that will get a big thrill is the fire you lit under the beetles butt
Old October 28, 2014, 07:30 PM   #12
rfwobbly

Quote:
A Japanese Beetle Will Fit Through a .30 Cal Mouth
So the question now is this...
Will an American beetle fit into a Jap 7.7 mouth ???
Old Yesterday, 03:19 PM   #13
JRH6856

If you have an air compressor, get a rubber nozzle for filling air mattresses and such. It should just fit and seal the primer pocket. Then a blast of air at 100psi should expel the beetle.
War is when your government decides who the enemy is. Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself.
Old Yesterday, 03:55 PM   #14
horseman1

Send him downrange

Colorado horseflies like the Winchester powder in my powder measure. If I leave the lid off for a while, one will get in there and dig himself a home and pass out. Imagine a drunk falling into a vat of beer. Eventually, he will plug the powder measure and make a mess. (Pull handle, no powder, pull again, no powder, remove fly, and double change falls into the bench).

The first time it happened, I posted about it on the forum. The next time I loaded him up along with a 230gr Berrys plated and the last thing that went through his mind were his tail feathers.
Old Yesterday, 09:30 PM   #15
iShoot17

So as many of us do.. I was pulling some hand loads that I got from another gentleman. I was given the recipe, dates, etc, etc. The guy seemed experienced, knowledgable, and safe, but I decided to still pull the loads as I always do.

I got to the 49th round of 50 and dumped the powder..to my dismay, I found a LIVE primer inside. Now I have absolutely no idea what would have happened if this round were to be shot, but I do believe it to have been the first time I had ever run into something like this.

Don't shoot others reloads.

Last edited by iShoot17; Yesterday at 11:52 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old Yesterday, 09:38 PM   #16
Poper

Quote:
Don't shoot others reloads.
Absolutely NEVER shoot other people's reloads. I barely trust myself to reload my own ammo.
The NRA is a service organization for all firearms owners and users, and for anyone more concerned with Second Amendment rights than in spouting nonsense about them. It's available to everyone and can't possibly be considered an elitist or exclusive group except by the malicious, the ignorant, or the dimwitted. - Robert Hairless

"The only good bureaucrat is one with a pistol at his head. Put it in his hand and it's good-bye to the Bill of Rights."
-- H.L. Mencken

...mercy to the guilty is cruelty to the innocent...
--Adam Smith
Old Yesterday, 10:39 PM   #17
TenDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRH6856 View Post
If you have an air compressor, get a rubber nozzle for filling air mattresses and such. It should just fit and seal the primer pocket. Then a blast of air at 100psi should expel the beetle.

Awesome idea. Thanks!
Old Yesterday, 11:48 PM   #18
WestKentucky

You solved the problem of expensive projectiles...load a primer with no powder under a JB and when you don't see an impact you just have to shake your head and mutter to you self about the buggers.