Quantcast
check my load please - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Ammunition, Gear, and Firearm Help > Handloading and Reloading

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old December 29, 2015, 11:47 PM   #1
webrx

check my load please

Hi all,

New reloader, pretty sure I got everything ok, but wanted to run it by the experienced folks before I go shoot this new load.
These are my first reloads

Application:
Revolver: 1858 Pietta with a Taylor 6 shot 45 colt conversion cylinder (I have 2 of these, the 5.5 and 8 inch barrel versions). timing is good with the conversion cylinder in place.

Load:
Starline Brass - once fired, inspected, resized, primer pocket cleaned out, etc.
CCI large pistol primer
5 gr Trail boss - I was very particular with getting this measurement, and the visual check has all cartridges looking about 2/3 full with this powder load
250 Gr LRNFP
COL: 1.59"

From what I have read and calculated this should give me about 680 fps

Equipment: RCBS Partner Press, Lee 4 die set for .45 colt

Crimp looks as good as the factory round, I used a factory round to set up the seat die, had to add about 1/2 turn from touching on the factory round to get a good crimp on the first round, I backed out the depth portion, set the crimp a little tighter, then reset the depth. Everything went pretty smooth after that, per the mic, they all came out to 1.59 with a nice crimp.

Any concerns with the above?

Anything else I need to look at?
Old December 29, 2015, 11:54 PM   #2
rcmodel
Contributing Member

Using Trail Boss?

No.

Unless there is more of it in the case then leaves room to seat the bullet on top of it??

You can't get in trouble with it.

Hodgdon lists a 250 cast LRNFP with 4.5 Start load, --- 5.8 Max load.

So you are just about in the middle.

rc
Old December 30, 2015, 01:34 AM   #3
webrx

Thanks RC

d
Old December 30, 2015, 07:40 AM   #4
RandyP

On a related note, for the benefit of other readers of this topic, often these conversion cylinders recommend not exceeding Cowboy Action loads (your load does NOT) and several powder makers will list Cowboy Action data for various calibers.
Old December 30, 2015, 09:21 AM   #5
webrx

Randy,

Correct, and I should have stated that originally.

The manufactures document i received with my conversion cylinder says not to exceed 900 fps and this was one of the reasons I chose to use trail boss for these loads.

Trail boss lists the min to max load (4.5 to 5.8) at a velocity range between 606 and 727 with a 250 gr lrnfp.

d
Old December 30, 2015, 02:02 PM   #6
Sunray

OAL is supposed to be 1.600" but 10 thou won't make any difference. Use as little crimp as possible too.
You work up to the 5 or just pick it and hope?
Old December 30, 2015, 03:52 PM   #7
theleo

I don't see any problem with your load but I don't know what pressure your cylinder can take. One thing in regards to Trail Boss is this, it's great for making reduced loads and filling the case but that doesn't necessarily mean mean reduced pressure. Looking at the hodgdon website leads me to guess your load is in the area of 11,000 psi. The same page shows 4 powders with starting loads around 1,000-2,000 psi's lower than your Trail Boss load and are a touch faster. I don't know a good way to convert PSI to CUP but I'm guessing there's a couple more. Just food for thought, as my guess is that the true limit to your conversion cylinder is PSI and not FPS but they say not to exceed 900 fps to keep you from hot rodding it.

I load for an original 1886 45-90 and while I could fill the case with Trail Boss and get bullets going 800-900 fps it generates a lot more pressure than a number of powders that generate 1400 fps. I load to the lower pressure to keep my mind at ease about splitting the barrel on it, the fps are of little worry to my mind.
Old December 30, 2015, 10:22 PM   #8
webrx

Sunray,

I was targeting a load that would be around 700fps, I originally thought this load would be about 680, but, as it turns out, if I calculated correctly this load should be closer to 606 + 47.5 = 653.5 which is well below the 700 fps I was looking for. I think the CUP should be about 10,300 (calculated). But I may be doing that wrong as I calculated the spread divided by the grains to get a cup per grain (same with fps) then added 5 grains worth to the 606.

I previously have shot factory loads through my Pietta, all with a speeds of 800 or less.

Ultramax - 250 gr 730 fps
Herters Select 250 gr 708 fps
Sellier and Bellot Wild West Cowboy ammo 250 gr 725 fps

Thanks for asking me question though, I just went and dug up the paperwork that came with the conversion cylinder and it says to use cowboy ammunition, and defines that as from a reputable dealer with a speed of 750 to 850 fps. That is 50 less than I remember it being, or maybe I read 900 on the internet and it stuck. In any case, that is what the paperwork says. BTW it also says that black powder loads up to 34 grains of FFG or BP equivalent are ok as well. And of course to not use in a brass framed revolver.

I have only reloaded 25 rounds at 5 grains, but, I think i will load the next 25 at minimum (4.5 gr) and shoot those first. thanks for making me think through this, better to start at minimum and be sure.

Thanks again,

D

Last edited by webrx; December 31, 2015 at 01:37 AM. Reason: adding other ammo with velocity
Old December 31, 2015, 05:40 PM   #9
webrx

If I may impose,

can you please look at the attached and let me know what you think?

Mine is the one on the bottom, the one on the top came from a vendor (big reno gun show reloader)

I also had some from this reloader that had a line (groove) below where the bottom of the bullet sits, but none of my factory loads had that.

The one on the bottom is my first reload (I did do a few dummy loads first).

Any advice, comments, recommendations are entirely welcome.

thanks in advance.

Dave
Old December 31, 2015, 08:59 PM   #10
sigsmoker
Contributing Member

I have shot these out of Uberti Cattleman revolvers and they are fun to shoot and mild. Your load is fine. Pretty much the same as my Trail Boss load. The Reno one looks seated a tad deep to me, yours looks on the money.
It's a good cartridge to start out with. I did the same only I used Unique for my rookie loads.
Using Trail Boss and checking here was a smart thing to do. Keep safe, never get complacent with this. New loaders are sometimes more careful starting out, I try to stay that way. So far so good.

When you finally get out and shoot that bullet, you'll be pretty proud of yourself. But I must warn you, you'll be hooked.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tb45lc.JPG (64.6 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by sigsmoker; December 31, 2015 at 09:07 PM.
Old January 1, 2016, 03:15 AM   #11
webrx

Thanks sigsmoker,
I tried not to overdo the crimp and I tried real hard to keep the seating depth in the groove.

I have 25 in a 5.0 load and 25 in a 4.5 (minimum) load. Hoping to shoot them tomorrow.

d
Old Yesterday, 01:18 AM   #12
webrx

Well, the weather broke finally and we had a decent day without wind, rain of snow. So, I got to go shoot my reloads.

Both shot fine (4.5 and 5), with no issues. shot them through my 1858s the 5.5 and the 7.5 in barrels. Accuracy seemed pretty good, but, everything was about 4 inches high at 20 yards. Not quite as high as I had previously gotten with store bought loads of Ultramax, those shot about 6 inches high.

I was free handing everything today, no bench, and shooting one handed, when I get a chance I will see about accuracy, today was just a get out and shoot day.

Brass is cleaned again, and now I get to reload them.

Sigsmoker, you were right, I am proud of myself, everything I have reloaded shot great (38s and 45s).

And I am hooked, but I figured that out even before shot em.

Dave