Quantcast
10mm Brass Sizing Issue - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Ammunition, Gear, and Firearm Help > Handloading and Reloading

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old July 21, 2015, 06:32 PM   #1
lpsharp88

10mm Brass Sizing Issue

I started to work on my first batch of 10mm, and ran into an issue before I could even start. I raised the ram (Rockchucker), and put in the Lee sizing die until it touched the shellholder , then tightened the lock ring. When I went to size the brass, I couldn't completely raise the ram, it gets the brass about 3/4 or a little more of the way into the die then runs out of space. I'm using Lee Carbide 10/.40 dies.
Any idea what causes this?
-Gen. James Mattis
Old July 21, 2015, 07:27 PM   #2
Havok7416
Contributing Member

Did you check for another case inside the 10mm case? I get 9mm or smaller stuck in there from time to time. Another possibility would be that you moved the arm while tightening the lock ring down (I've done this a time or two as well).

I use the Lee carbide dies as well and I can't recall any problems with mine other than operator error.
Old July 21, 2015, 07:31 PM   #3
lpsharp88

The brass is new starline, no extra cases in the brass. I tried 5 times and same issue each time
-Gen. James Mattis
Old July 21, 2015, 07:37 PM   #4
Havok7416
Contributing Member

I've never heard of Berdan primed 10mm, but maybe check for flash hole(s)?
Old July 21, 2015, 07:48 PM   #5
cwall64

Maybe dumb question, but on my RCBS dies if the deprimer is set too low, it will hit the depriming assembly on the inside of the shell casing prior to the case fully resizing? If they are new cases, just pull the whole deprime assembly out.
Old July 21, 2015, 08:06 PM   #6
judgedelta
Contributing Member

If the shellholder touched the die when you put it in, it should touch it now??? I would take everything apart and start over. If the shellholder will touch the die, the case should be all of the way in the die, no? If the ram will go all of the way up to the die without a case, your problem may be in the deprimer. Just as an aside, I have never sized new Starline brass...
Old July 21, 2015, 08:16 PM   #7
lpsharp88

So move the decapping pin up? Also, no need to size new brass?
-Gen. James Mattis
Old July 21, 2015, 08:17 PM   #8
MifflinKid
Contributing Member

Location: Maryland (but I'll get back to Pennsylvania some day)
If this was a new case, not the one you used to set up the sizing die, I would suggest you apply a little case lube. New cases can be hard to size initially as they are dry and bare of anything to lubricate the sizing die.
Old July 21, 2015, 08:20 PM   #9
Havok7416
Contributing Member

New brass should be sized, but what judgedelta is saying is that you don't technically need the decapping pin for new brass since there is no old primer.

I have my decapping pin set flush with the top of my die for what's that worth.
Old July 21, 2015, 08:22 PM   #10
lpsharp88

Ok. I'll remove it. But what about when I have a primer to remove? Does being 10/.40 have anything to do with it? .40 is a hair shorter than 10
-Gen. James Mattis
Old July 21, 2015, 08:23 PM   #11
rcmodel
Contributing Member

+1 to all of the above.

Sizing .40 & 10mm in the same sizing die is the way it is done.

Set the die to the shell holder as you did.

Use a small amount of case lube on all new squeaky clean brass.

Back the decapper out of the die until you have a sized case all the way in the die.

Then adjust the de-capper stem down just far enough to knock out the old primer.
(Or protrude through the flash hole on new brass)

It should work now.

rc
Old July 21, 2015, 08:24 PM   #12
Havok7416
Contributing Member

That die will handle both .40 S&W and 10mm. The difference between the two cartridges is only in primer size (irrelevant in this case) and length (3mm difference).

When you have a primer to remove, reinsert the decapping pin if removed, and carry on.
Old July 21, 2015, 08:33 PM   #13
cwall64

I believe you always need to at least size the bullet section of the case so that it holds the bullet tight. Starline has a FAQ on it or a YouTube video...
Old July 21, 2015, 08:45 PM   #14
dnfd737

is this fired cases? if so is your chamber supported or not?
Old July 21, 2015, 09:12 PM   #15
gamestalker

Adjust the decapping pin so it is protruding about 1/4" - 3/8" from the mouth of the die.

Other than a defective die, the expander button bottoming out against the flash hole, or the decapping pin impacting an off center flash hole, or an off center decapping pin against the inside of the case head, is about all that could be going on here.

As for resizing new brass, and especially AL-ing handgun brass, I think it's a good practice to assure the brass is in proper spec, so as to avoid issues with neck tension / setback. Brass usually gets pretty beat up during shipping and handling.

GS
Old July 21, 2015, 09:52 PM   #16
lpsharp88

Thanks for all the help! I'll give that a whirl
-Gen. James Mattis
Old July 21, 2015, 10:25 PM   #17
lpsharp88

That worked! Took out the decapping pin, put the die back in, touching shell holder, ran a case up, re-inserted the pin until I felt resistance then tightened it down. Then ran a spent case up there, primer popped out and ram went all the way up. Think I'm in business now. Thanks again!
-Gen. James Mattis
Old July 22, 2015, 02:55 AM   #18
gamestalker

I would back the pin up a bit a little bit more.

You only need it to extend far enough out to push the primers out. And considering you can feel it making contact when you threaded it back in, all it would take is a slight variance in the height of the web to possibly damage the decapping assembly, though Lee dies are designed with a built in safety feature (collet). But it's just one more thing to go wrong, and just when you get your rhythm going.

It might also possibly do something to the flash hole, maybe enlarge it.
Nothing but the decapping pin should touch the flash hole, and even then, it's just passing through.

And not all brass is going to have the same identical case head specs, give or take .010" at the web and you might have problems with the decapping assembly getting pushed up.

GS
Old July 22, 2015, 06:11 AM   #19
lpsharp88

Ok, I backed it out a little more. Now looks like this
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437559857.921126.jpg
-Gen. James Mattis
Old July 22, 2015, 10:48 PM   #20
gamestalker

Need to see how much protrusion from the mouth of the die. But as long as nothing is contacting the inside of the flash hole, web, and it's pushing the primer out, it should be just fine.

GS
Old July 22, 2015, 10:56 PM   #21
rcmodel
Contributing Member

+1

You last photo tells us nothing at all.

But you want to set the de-capper punch just deep enough the primer clears the case head and falls out at full press ram travel.

Any more then that is just wasted primer punch sticking out too far.

rc
Old July 23, 2015, 05:59 AM   #22
lpsharp88

Well, looks like I need to back it out some more
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437645588.733898.jpg
-Gen. James Mattis
Old July 23, 2015, 06:00 AM   #23
Havok7416
Contributing Member

Just a hair.
Old July 24, 2015, 06:48 PM   #24
rfwobbly

Tell you what... Loosen the 1/2" nut until the decapping pin will move freely. With a case in the shell holder, raise the ram all the way and the pin will rise to the appropriate height. While the ram is still at the top, raise the pin an additional 1/32" or so (slightly more than a thumbnail thickness). Then tighten the 1/2" nut back snug. That will be perfect.