Quantcast
Accurate 5744 powder work in .45ACP? - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Ammunition, Gear, and Firearm Help > Handloading and Reloading

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old August 20, 2014, 10:01 PM   #1
cottersay

Accurate 5744 powder work in .45ACP?

I like the A5744 smokeless powder for reloading because it's bulky, so I just ordered three pounds. Then I ran into a snag: I can find 5744 reloading data online for the .45Colt and other handguns, but nothing for the .45ACP.

Has anyone worked with this powder? Any thoughts on starting loads for 230 grain cast bullets? Any ideas on safely building up a loading for the .45ACP?
Old August 20, 2014, 10:19 PM   #2
Walkalong

It is going to be too bulky and too slow for the .45 ACP. Its main use is for downloading rifle cases.

Have any other powders? There are a number of pistol powders bulky enough not to double charge a .45 ACP case without spilling over.

Welcome to THR

"Oh bother" said Pooh, as he chambered another round. Author unknown.
Old August 20, 2014, 10:47 PM   #3
cottersay

Thanks for the reply, Walkalong. I guess I just blew $120 due to my reloading ignorance.

I was able to find one powder on the shelves of the LGS called Winchester AutoComp. Is that powder somewhat bulky? And do you have a few recommendations for any other bulky can't-possibly-double-charge powders for the .45ACP?

Thanks again!
Old August 20, 2014, 10:48 PM   #4
ArchAngelCD

Welcome to the forum...

Like said above, that powder is not a good fit for handguns.
Do you have any handgun/shotgun powders available?
The good news is, there are at least 20 powders you can use to load the 45 ACP.
Old August 20, 2014, 10:50 PM   #5
ArchAngelCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottersay View Post
Thanks for the reply, Walkalong. I guess I just blew $120 due to my reloading ignorance.

I was able to find one powder on the shelves of the LGS called Winchester AutoComp. Is that powder somewhat bulky? And do you have a few recommendations for any other bulky can't-possibly-double-charge powders for the .45ACP?

Thanks again!
Actually, AutoComp was specifically designed for loading semi-auto cartridges like the 9mm, 40 S&W and 45 Auto. that powder will work very well in the 45 Auto and probably the 45 Colt too.

I just looked on the Hodgdon load data site and they do supply load data for AuroComp in the 45 Colt so that's a good thing...
BTW, what did you buy that was a waste of $120?
Old August 20, 2014, 11:23 PM   #6
cottersay

Hi ArchAngel,

I bought three pounds of 5744 smokeless powder at about $33/pound, along with the damn Hazmat fee and shipping charges. Dang it!!

Thanks for the info on the AutoComp -- I may just buy some more, since it was only $22/pound at the LGS . (Beggars can't be choosers!)
Old August 20, 2014, 11:36 PM   #7
ArchAngelCD

AA5744 is a great powder for loading old Black Powder rifle cartridges and for reduced power loads for a lot of rifle cartridges. I just love AA5744 for loading the 45-70 and for lead bullets in the 30-30. I can't find any locally for a good price so I'm hoping the supply is coming back so the prices will drop.
Old August 20, 2014, 11:50 PM   #8
Don McDowell

Contact Accurate about some data, more than likely they have some for the ACP. You can use it about like 4227.
Old Yesterday, 10:49 AM   #9
A Pause for the Coz

Your mistake may just be a gift in disguise.
Since it has been just about the only powder they have at Fleet Farm in town by me.
I purchased a 1 pound jug every time I have went in there.
For cast bullets in rifles I am now using it in:

5.56mm AR 15 w/ 75 gr cast
308 win
7.62x39
8mm Mauser
30-30
32 win special
300 Black Out

Damn good powder.
Old Yesterday, 11:04 AM   #10
cottersay

It's a really great powder, but I don't load rifle or large case pistol -- only .45ACP. In fact, 5744 seems to work in almost any pistol round except for the ones I use, such as .25ACP, .380ACP, 9MM, and the aforementioned .45ACP. Anything with sufficient volume.

BTW, I got this back from CS: "Sorry, but 5744 is too slow of a powder for the .45 ACP."
Old Yesterday, 11:29 AM   #11
A Pause for the Coz

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottersay View Post
It's a really great powder, but I don't load rifle or large case pistol -- only .45ACP. In fact, 5744 seems to work in almost any pistol round except for the ones I use, such as .25ACP, .380ACP, 9MM, and the aforementioned .45ACP. Anything with sufficient volume.

BTW, I got this back from CS: "Sorry, but 5744 is too slow of a powder for the .45 ACP."
I know it wont help you today. But stash it and save it for another day.
Things change... if the cast bullet bug hits you. Your all set.
The 1st two pounds of 5744 sat in my cabinet for three years until I ran out of RL-7 and cant find it any where.
Pretty sure RL-7 was made at that plant in Australia that burned down a year or so ago.

Any way, if you that stuck for pistol powder. You may try CSB-1 from High Tech ammo.
They at least have it in stock.
I am trying it now with pretty good results.
But be aware its a canister grade powder. Not the sort of thing published loads can be taken for granted. All batches of powder may/will have a slightly different burn rate.
So great care must be taken working up a load.
If your the kind of guy who just stuffs powder in a case and shoots. Might not be a good choice. But if your careful and take your time to work up a load.
Can be a great way to keep shooting.
Old Yesterday, 12:37 PM   #12
cottersay

Thanks Coz, I will hold on to it since powder is especially a good thing to trade later.

And I was able to buy three pounds of AutoComp, so while it isn't Bullseye or Unique, it still should work great in the .45ACP.

BTW, I thought all powders that are available to the reloader were "canister powder"?

Last edited by Walkalong; Yesterday at 02:53 PM. Reason: removed SHTF
Old Yesterday, 02:48 PM   #13
A Pause for the Coz

You know I am not an expert on that, so I may be inclined to talk out my butt.

A good place were guys know a whole lot more than me.
Might be worth a look see.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...Surplus-Powder