Quantcast
Pro Auto Disk problem - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Ammunition, Gear, and Firearm Help > Handloading and Reloading

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old Yesterday, 09:37 PM   #1
tcoz

Pro Auto Disk problem

This one really has me stumped. I've been loading 4.2gr of Bullseye in my 9mm rounds using a Lee Classic Turret press and the Pro Auto Disk powder measure. The .49 disk consistently drops 4.2gr, once in a while dropping 4.3gr, but not often. So far I've probably loaded 1200 rounds without a problem. All of a sudden tonight in the middle of a reloading session, it started dropping 3.9-4.0gr and then after about fifteen of those, it started dropping 3.6gr consistently, not 3.7 or 3.8, but 3.6 every single time. I took everything apart and cleaned it, then tried the .53 disk. It was also consistently dropping loads about 1.3gr lighter than usual. Everything appears to line up correctly so right now, I'm at a standstill. If anyone can shed some light on this, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
Old Yesterday, 09:52 PM   #2
bds

Check the tension on the bead chain and be sure the spring at the end is compressing when the shellplate carririer returns to the bottom. Any slack in the chain may prevent full return of disk under the powder hopper wiper that will produce lighter/inconsistent powder fill.

Revelation 19:11
Old Yesterday, 10:02 PM   #3
DanTheFarmer

Also check that the cavity in the disk lines up with the drop hole when the handle is fully depressed. You might have meant that that isn't the problem when you said "everything appears to line up correctly" but maybe not, and this is an easy thing to check and fix. A short down stroke can cause the cavity to only partly line up with drop hole resulting in a partial drop of powder.

This is more likely to happen if you've been switching between cases of different lengths recently or altering your technique (i.e. if you've switched how you are sitting so you're now bumping into your leg on the down stroke).

Good Luck,

Dan
Old Yesterday, 10:46 PM   #4
tcoz

The disk appears to line up properly but I'll check in the morning when the lighting is better. You mentioned that it's an easy thing to fix. How is that done?
Old Yesterday, 11:09 PM   #5
rchery59

I would take the hopper off, inspect and clean it. (wipe it down with a drier sheet.) Tear everything apart, check and clean. You may have an obstruction or static giving a problem. Once in a while you run into something like this and you just need to stop and check everything. You will find the problem. The auto disc is a pretty good system.
Old Yesterday, 11:32 PM   #6
kcofohio

Could the warmth and humidity play a role in this?
Old Today, 12:38 AM   #7
RussellC

Take off the powder can and watch it function back and forth. The further the die part is screwed into the base of the turret, the farther forward the disc slides, the further out it is screwed in, the less forward it comes. Make sure the brass knobs are snug once you put it back together.

Russellc

Last edited by RussellC; Today at 12:50 AM.