9mm +P with Silhouette - THR

Go Back   THR > Ammunition, Gear, and Firearm Help > Handloading and Reloading

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old Today, 01:36 PM   #1
9mm +P with Silhouette

I usually use 5.4gr of N340 with a Zero 125gr JHP, COL=1.112. This load gives me 1145fps from a 3.8 inch barrel. I don't like to exceed published load data.

I was trying to work up a comparable load with Silhouette, and was disappointed that the velocities I achieved were on low side. Are my results typical of what can be expected with Silhouette in this application?:

5.1gr 1001 fps
5.3gr 1046 fps
5.5gr 1068 fps
5.7gr 1086 fps

I'm also not sure what the real max charge is for Silhouette. The only 124/125gr JHP data Ramshot lists is for the Sierra bullet and tops out at 5.5gr. Sierra's data for the same bullet with Silhouette goes up to 6.1gr.
Old Today, 03:23 PM   #2
Ramshot data does seem conservative with regard to Silhouette, and to get top velocities you have to go over it. There is data out there that surpasses the Ramshot data. Be careful out there.
Do you ever wonder why nobody ever robs the bag man for the mob? No, you don't.

"Oh bother" said Pooh, as he chambered another round. Author unknown.
Old Today, 03:40 PM   #3
Contributing Member
Here is Ramshot's .pdf file for 9mm +P data.

Who is it that determines what is socially acceptable?
If you say man, what will the future man deem acceptable?
Old Today, 03:54 PM   #4
Ramshot's Silhouette is the old Winchester WAP (Winchester Action Pistol) powder. If you can locate some of the older WAP data, that may help you achieve what you're looking for.

Hope this helps.

After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs
Old Today, 04:00 PM   #5
Is there a better alternative in a non-flake powder to get to, say, 1200fps ? N340 will come close, but as we all know, it's pricey.
Old Today, 04:53 PM   #6
Mad Chemist
Originally Posted by alzo View Post
Is there a better alternative in a non-flake powder to get to, say, 1200fps ? N340 will come close, but as we all know, it's pricey.
Power Pistol and Autocomp can get you close but you will need to be up at max. HS6 and Longshot may get you close too but I haven't tried those powders for this application. I don't think you'll be able to get that velocity with a bbl length <4" though. The best velocity I've gotten with 124gr JHP was using 3N37, but it's just as expensive as N340. Even using 3N37, I don't think you will be able to go over 1200 fps from a short bbl without exceeding current published VV data. I have exceeded book max for this load but I won't post that data on the open forum.
Old Today, 08:58 PM   #7
I misspoke (mistyped?) when I wrote 1200fps. I'd be happy if I could reach 1140-1150fps with the Silhouette. With the plated bullets, Ramshot shows loads up to 6 or 6.1gr. I'm just not sure how that translates to my Zero jhp.