Quantcast
Unique in .30-06 = Kaboom - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Ammunition, Gear, and Firearm Help > Handloading and Reloading

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old Yesterday, 12:03 AM   #1
TenDriver

Unique in .30-06 = Kaboom

Reading about a guy on Facebook who kaboomed a .30-06 with I think 18.5 or 19 gn of Unique. He worked up the load at .5gn increments with no pressure signs, then kaboom.

He's getting all sorts of wild theories and advice including the powder exploding rather than an even burn to putting cream of wheat in the case. It raised my curiosity enough to bring it over here. I'm asking if I can post his pictures and will do that if he gives the ok.
Old Yesterday, 12:16 AM   #2
lilguy

I blew the extractor out of my marlin 1895 45/70 using unique. Got close to
Ruger#1 levels and KABOOM! I don't experiment with powders after that, 30 years ago.
Old Yesterday, 12:49 AM   #3
ArchAngelCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenDriver View Post
Reading about a guy on Facebook who kaboomed a .30-06 with I think 18.5 or 19 gn of Unique. He worked up the load at .5gn increments with no pressure signs, then kaboom.

He's getting all sorts of wild theories and advice including the powder exploding rather than an even burn to putting cream of wheat in the case. It raised my curiosity enough to bring it over here. I'm asking if I can post his pictures and will do that if he gives the ok.
Considering it's Facebook I can understand the wild guesses since they are probably not reloaders or gun people.

The information you gave us is too little for use to try and figure out what happened. How heavy was the bullet? What kind of bullet and what shape? Which rifle was used? Brass type and primer? How was the powder measured? Also add any other information you can get...
Old Yesterday, 01:16 AM   #4
jaysouth

I have shot a lot of Unique in rifles with cast bullets. My 30-06 load that gives me the best accuracy is 12 grs. That gives me around 1400 fps for a 165 gr. cast lead bullet. I have never heard of anyone pushing the envelope with 18 or 19 grs of the powder or using it with jacketed bullets.

Here is an interesting thread: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/arch...p/t-39923.html

And a lot more published data: Go to the left margin and click on the bullet weight under 30-06. Scroll down until you find unique
http://www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm
Old Yesterday, 01:29 AM   #5
ArchAngelCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysouth View Post
I have shot a lot of Unique in rifles with cast bullets. My 30-06 load that gives me the best accuracy is 12 grs. That gives me around 1400 fps for a 165 gr. cast lead bullet. I have never heard of anyone pushing the envelope with 18 or 19 grs of the powder or using it with jacketed bullets.
The Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook has 30-06 lead bullet loads which exceed 19gr Unique but not with all bullets, bullet weights and bullet shapes. That's why I asked all those questions above. There are a few loads which match the 18.5 and 19gr loads and even exceed that to 24gr Unique at the Max charge.
Old Yesterday, 02:47 AM   #6
gamestalker

To KB the average 30-06 action as described above, would require using mismatched data and components. There are quite a few safe published loads for numerous bottle neck applications. They are specified as being intended for cast / lead bullets. But all to often, an inexperienced individual will fail to realize that by substituting jacketed bullets for cast, or using a different powder lacking supporting published data ends very poorly, as we can see.

Thanks for sharing.

GS
Old Yesterday, 03:08 AM   #7
steveno

one of my favorite loads in my Ruger #1S 45-70 was 18 grains of Unique and a 300 grain jacketed hp. it was good for about 1,450 fps and 1 inch groups at 100 yards.

I tried 18 grains of Unique in my Ruger #1A 270 with 130 grain jacketed bullets. this was good for about 2,000 fps and shot very well.

you just need to know where to start at what levels with Unique and when to stop.

Unique may not be the best in some applications but if there is one powder to keep you going for the next 100 years Unique is the powder to have
Old Yesterday, 03:37 AM   #8
Steve C

18.0grs of Unique in a big 45-70 case sounds much more reasonable than the same amount in a bottle neck much lower volume -06 case. While I have never loaded the -06 using cast with Unique I have done so in .308 win. Max loads listed in my "one book" from Lyman and RCBS show 17.0gr with the light 113gr Lyman & 15.0gr for the RCBS 115gr bullet. Anything heavier maxes out at 14.5 to 15.0 grs. Looks like a 18+gr load of Unique in an -06 is well over maximum.

Fast burning powder spike their pressures rapidly and if the loader was putting his rounds together without data or using a jacketed bullet with lead data he obviously failed in his safety precautions. It could have been a much larger charge accidentally used that caused the over pressure situation but you never know what was really in the case after the round KB's.
Old Yesterday, 07:47 AM   #9
Field Tester

Without pictures of the firearm or ammo / spent round, all you're going to get is random speculation. It can range from a bad batch, incorrect measurement to a OOBD.
Old Yesterday, 08:16 AM   #10
fguffey

Time is a factor.

F. Guffey
Old Yesterday, 09:17 AM   #11
flyguy958

I'd like to see the specifics.
Old Yesterday, 09:33 AM   #12
higgite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenDriver View Post
How about asking him to come over and join the forum himself? First hand is always better than second hand.
Old Yesterday, 10:12 AM   #13
GooseGestapo

Double charge....

BTDT; but I did it with Universal, not Unique. Very easy to do, and AVOID...

I was lucky, all I did was lock-up the action. I was using a Lee 170gr FNGC cast bullet over 14.5gr of Universal. Rifle was an Interarms MkX Mauser. Modern commercial Mauser clone which is a very strong action.

I suspect that 36-38.0gr of Unique would turn most any .30/06 into scrap.
Old Yesterday, 10:13 AM   #14
evan price

Saw that post, looked like a rem 700 bolt to me. And he blew it up good. Id never seen a rimmed-06 case before, lol.
Old Yesterday, 10:44 AM   #15
Jim Watson

Lyman shows cast bullet loads with that much Unique, or nearly so.
Phil Sharpe shows jacketed bullet loads with that much Unique and even a bit more.

Did the intrepid loader use Cream of Wheat as a filler?
I am very uncomfortable with non-gunpowder crap in ammunition, especially a granular material in a bottleneck case.

Of course a double charge explains everything. Will 38 gr Unique fit?

I await more details.
Old Yesterday, 10:48 AM   #16
ironworkerwill

Quote:
Double charge....
That is what I was thinking. It's easily done if you have any sort of distraction while charging the cases. That would, to me, be the most obvious thing.

I would also like to know what the specifics are.

Studies have shown that a ladder in the house is more dangerous than a gun.. That's why I own guns, in case some maniac tries to sneak a ladder in.-Uncle Stan
Old Yesterday, 12:51 PM   #17
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by GooseGestapo View Post
Double charge....
Yep....using a fast pistol powder in a large volume case for reduced recoil loads, more likely than anything else other than a second bullet after a squib.

Theiyr're...........take that Grammar Nazis!
Old Yesterday, 03:39 PM   #18
mdi

Could anybody post a link to the Kaboom?
Old Yesterday, 04:35 PM   #19
GLOOB

Unique is fluffy enough to bridge in certain powder measures. That brings up the possibility of not only a double charge, but anything from a 1.1x charge to w/e might fit in the case! I am not pointing fingers. I'm just stating what many of us are thinking. If offered a wager, I'd put my money on user error. I'd give 20 to 1 odds.
Old Yesterday, 04:54 PM   #20
Sunray

Considering it's Facebook I'm surprised there haven't been all kinds of ranting children calling for the guy's arrest.
18 or 19 grains of Unique is over max for heavier than 125 grain cast bullets according to my Lyman book. And it's cast bullets only.
Old Yesterday, 06:17 PM   #21
ArchAngelCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy958 View Post
I'd like to see the specifics.
Exactly what I said in post #3 and I still agree...
Old Yesterday, 08:22 PM   #22
TenDriver

I just asked him to sign up over here and join in.
Old Yesterday, 08:22 PM   #23
Carl N. Brown

Unique in a bottleneck rifle case? Call me chicken and I'll cluck back.

I have loaded Unique in cylindrical pistol cases (mostly .357) and shotgun shells. The only bottleneck case I have loaded with Unique is 7.63 Mauser pistol and on that I eyeballed cases to make sure they were consistently charged.
Old Yesterday, 08:44 PM   #24
Bubbanater1984

I am the kaboom guy and yes it was at 18grs of the unique the lyman book said 17min and 21 max charge I started low and was working up then boom I was using 150gr lead cast just a lee with same dimensions at the lyman the only clue to y this may have happened in the throught I seated the bullet to the recommended 2.98 oal which I had been loadin to 3..25 but wanted to go with the recommend length instead of loading them out maybe it came out of case a little off and caught the lands and cased a pressure spike the case is filled 75% with this load
Old Yesterday, 09:07 PM   #25
jerkface11

I wouldn't use any pistol powder in a rifle other than trailboss.
we can work together to enact commonsense improvements—like reinstating the assault weapons ban and closing the gun show loophole—so that guns do not fall into the hands of those irresponsible, law-breaking few. DNC party patform.