Quantcast
YouTube Reloading channels - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Ammunition, Gear, and Firearm Help > Handloading and Reloading

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old March 1, 2015, 09:14 AM   #1
Mostly Lead

YouTube Reloading channels

There are certainly no shortages of folks making videos of their reloading, but it is difficult to find quality instruction and demonstration. Many channels offer reloading as "part of" their video collection, but are not really focused on reloading itself.

Some forums, related to my other hobbies, have recommendations where to find useful instruction on YouTube. My search here didn't find such a thing.

I'd love to discover what channels (regarding reloading) you find most informative.

Thanks...
Old March 1, 2015, 10:27 AM   #2
carbuncle

Great topic, I would like to hear what everyone is watching as well. I have had some success with Ultimate Reloader on gear selection, and Hickok45s vids on reloading were helpful to get started but I don't know any related solely to reloading.
Old March 1, 2015, 11:22 AM   #3
notaglockfanboy

Ammosmith reloading has a good video selection, although he has not made a video in over a year. There are a lot of videos on YouTube concerning reloading, most are newbies who have loaded a few hundred rounds and somehow think they are experts and of course since they have a YouTube they have to make a video. It don't take long to figure out the lack of knowledge some of those guys have, worse than that is the fact that other newbies are getting info that can be dangerous. Just be careful when taking advice from YouTube videos, because when you are reloading, sometime you don't get a chance to make the same mistake twice.
Old March 1, 2015, 03:32 PM   #4
Sni-per

I enjoy hickok45 channel, he has a few reloading videos, but mostly shooting different handguns. He is a hoot to watch though.
Old March 1, 2015, 03:44 PM   #5
Mostly Lead

Quote:
Originally Posted by notaglockfanboy View Post
Ammosmith reloading has a good video selection, although he has not made a video in over a year. There are a lot of videos on YouTube concerning reloading, most are newbies who have loaded a few hundred rounds and somehow think they are experts and of course since they have a YouTube they have to make a video. It don't take long to figure out the lack of knowledge some of those guys have, worse than that is the fact that other newbies are getting info that can be dangerous. Just be careful when taking advice from YouTube videos, because when you are reloading, sometime you don't get a chance to make the same mistake twice.
No worries, I've been reloading for 16-17 years now. Typically I'll search 3 sources for load data, two manuals and the manufactures website - YouTube is never a primary or even a secondary source...

But it always interests me to see how others have adapted the reloading processes to their purposes. Just as everyone reloads for a different reason, there are many different ways to accomplish a similar task - like even just cleaning for example, or the differences in presses and their operations.

The hope is to discover some quality channels to enjoy.
Old March 1, 2015, 03:53 PM   #6
1KPerDay

One of the best is gavintoobe or something who does ultimate reloader dot com. As far as equipment, modifications etc.
Old March 1, 2015, 05:09 PM   #7
taylarh

Try fortunecookie45lc. Good casting videos in addition to handloading
Old March 1, 2015, 06:58 PM   #8
Drop45

Hello this is fortune cookie45lc coming to you from the hot lead zone, lol
Old March 1, 2015, 07:10 PM   #9
Garrobo

I would NEVER

take any of these videos seriously. If the load isn't in a powder manual, I ain't using it.
Old March 1, 2015, 08:59 PM   #10
mdi

I'm with Garrobo. While I may find some info on youtube, there is no way to be absolutely sure of who is really an expert in reloading or who is a decent videographer...

I'm sure you could find a "How To" video of brain surgery on youtube...
Old March 1, 2015, 09:04 PM   #11
sauer1911

THE GREAT THING ABOUT THE INTERNET AND YOU TUBE IS THAT YOU CAN POST ANYTHING!

THE BAD THING ABOUT THE INTERNET AND YOU TUBE IS THAT YOU CAN POST ANYTHING! ! ! !

Be careful and get a HUGE grain of salt to rub whilst watching anything reloading related on the Youtube or the Internet!!!

Not saying it has no value, just alot of EGO!

Case in point, that Rube who shot himself while his gun was in his holster! AND he posted it! on YOUTUBE! ! Ego gone wild!

Be safe
Old March 1, 2015, 09:39 PM   #12
total recoil

You Tube Groan

There are more people with poor video and poor audio equipment trying to be film stars than Bayer has aspirins.
Often the submission is way too long and hopelessly boring as the re-loader has to show every one of 100 cases being sized, belled, powdered, etc. etc.
Often the submission has no planning or script to follow and the submitter winds up stumbling over his own feet.
These people fail to edit their own videos to correct their own mistakes, misstatements or incorrect "Facts".
There oughta' be a law!
Old March 1, 2015, 09:51 PM   #13
Mostly Lead

Headed off the track a bit...

Yes, yes, there are lots of poorly done videos with bad information on YouTube. Nobody is arguing that fact.

Which leads us back to the purpose of this thread.

Could you recommend a channel (or channels) where reloading topics are covered in a high quality manner?
Old March 1, 2015, 10:08 PM   #14
FMJBT

I agree, it's interesting to see people do some different things in reloading that you're not accustomed to. I also browse to see what some users are doing to excite me into a new venture.

I find myself watching videos to get in the mood of my own weird experiments. Not too long ago, I was playing with cast/powder coated bullets in steel cased x39 rounds, and a modified boxer primer. Got the idea from the ammo channel.

I like:
Ammosmith
Fortunecookie45lc
The ammo channel (formerly Maine junker)
314299 shooting channel
Mannyca (member here) also does some nice things.
Duelist1954 (also member here) has some cool old black powder stuff.

Capandball does some reloading with older and antique rifles

Gunnut357mag is another good one.

Hope that helps.
Old March 1, 2015, 10:29 PM   #15
Terlingueno

I have manuals I follow for loads, the Dillon instruction book for the operation of the press, and I watch youtube reloading videos for the entertainment.
Old March 1, 2015, 10:51 PM   #16
savanahsdad

I like to watch the guys that think they need to fix things that aren't broken

I have yet to find a good YouTube channel and would like to but I was reloading for 5 years before I ever thought about of looking on the net for any info on reloading , for the most part they are entertaining to watch
Old March 1, 2015, 11:11 PM   #17
herrwalther

I learned how to reload watching iraqveteran8888 reloading videos. He has several series such as gunsmithing and current 2A events.
Old March 2, 2015, 07:46 AM   #18
SwaneeSR

As mentioned above there is good and some bad information on You Tube. Certainly You Tube is not the place to get load data.

However, there are some worthwhile videos. iraqvetran8888 does have a great video on rifle reloading. Georgia Shooter has two Dillon 550b setup videos that help fine tune your press. DillonPrecision has videos.

I use You Tune to help work on my car, to change out the lock in my gun safe, etc. The key is to separate the good information from the bad.
Old March 2, 2015, 03:35 PM   #19
ThePomel
Contributing Member

I have watched several jiujitsu2000 reloading videos on youtube. He also does bullet casting and other things. He seems to be well informed and careful. I have seen plenty of people that don't know what they are doing. I'll check out iraqvetran8888. I like to see other people process and reasoning, but do my own research as well.
Old March 2, 2015, 04:04 PM   #20
Sunray

It's difficult to find quality instruction on YouTube because anybody can post there.
Mind you, I don't learn by watching a video. I get a book.
Old March 2, 2015, 08:08 PM   #21
Mostly Lead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunray View Post
It's difficult to find quality instruction on YouTube because anybody can post there.
I find it difficult too, but with the help of you good folks here on THR, we're starting to identify a few.

Thanks for introducing me to some new channels! Hopefully some other members have found something interested too...
Old March 3, 2015, 11:23 PM   #22
rfwobbly

Ultimatereloader.com posts his videos on YouTube. They're the only videos I recommended to new reloaders.

I skip any reloading video on YouTube that starts with the words "Watch how fast...."
Old Yesterday, 05:25 PM   #23
mdi

Quote:
Yes, yes, there are lots of poorly done videos with bad information on YouTube. Nobody is arguing that fact.

Which leads us back to the purpose of this thread.

Could you recommend a channel (or channels) where reloading topics are covered in a high quality manner?
Nope, sorry. All the negative answers are just saying it would be difficult to recommend a reliable, safe video.

The best reloading video I can remember is the one where Richard Lee reloads a bottle necked round in under 55 seconds with a Lee Loader...
Old Yesterday, 06:56 PM   #24
notaglockfanboy

Quote:
The best reloading video I can remember is the one where Richard Lee reloads a bottle necked round in under 55 seconds with a Lee Loader...
Yes, that was a great product review, not a reloading video.