Quantcast
Satisfaction at having all brass loaded in a caliber - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Ammunition, Gear, and Firearm Help > Handloading and Reloading

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old September 28, 2014, 02:13 PM   #1
Peter M. Eick

Satisfaction at having all brass loaded in a caliber

Today I am basking in a bit of satisfaction. Between yesterday and today I have loaded every last piece of 10mm, 38 Super and 357 Sig brass I have. That goes along with having every 357 magnum, 45 ACP and 44/40 brass loaded. It is sure nice to see those piles of nicely loaded, boxed and ready to go ammo.

Now I have to work on 45 Colt, 38/44 and 38 Special.

Ah the fun of being behind the press (Pro2000) again. It is really very relaxing!
Old September 28, 2014, 02:14 PM   #2
R.W.Dale

That's not satisfaction to me.

It means that either I need more brass or I'm not getting to the range enough
Old September 28, 2014, 02:32 PM   #3
gamestalker

Since I load on a single stage, it would probably take me years to load everything I have. But that's years of fun to look forward too.

GS
Old September 28, 2014, 02:34 PM   #4
horsemen61

Sounds fun I can't imagine being at that point yet in my reloading career
Old September 28, 2014, 02:37 PM   #5
horsemen61

So can I ask how many rounds of each do you have loaded
Old September 28, 2014, 04:17 PM   #6
lauderdale

I saved a 100 rnds. of 380 S.L. out of a 1000 new yesterday and was debating on just reloading them! NAW! I like to have some left to try and experiment with! That's just me.
Old September 28, 2014, 04:47 PM   #7
J_McLeod

Sounds like you don't have enough brass.
Old September 28, 2014, 07:09 PM   #8
rchery59

I'm satisfied when I have all my bullets loaded for a caliber and still have tons of brass left
Old September 28, 2014, 07:16 PM   #9
WestKentucky

I load til the components run out. Usually that means projectile, but occasionally primer. I am only limited by brass in 2 calibers at this time....256 win mag and 32long. I'm still playing whack -a-mole with the .256 and I didn't save the brass from my first couple boxes of .32 because I never expected to care for it. I now have 3 that are starving.
Old September 28, 2014, 07:21 PM   #10
kudu

Last time I thought I had all my .45ACP loaded, I came across a full fifty cal ammo can full of brass, I'd already switched over to another caliber, so there went that satisfaction. I always find stray brass after I've thought 'that's all of them'.
Old September 28, 2014, 07:46 PM   #11
medalguy
Contributing Member

Why is it that bullets, brass, primers, and powder never come out equal? When all of one is gone, I still have the others left, so I load as much as I can and then have to go out and find more of the short item.

I don't know what I would do if it all came out even at the end. Panic I guess.
Old September 28, 2014, 07:53 PM   #12
Blue Thunder
Contributing Member

All of mine is in storage moving from one home to another under construction, finally, set to close on it next April 2015!. I do have a couple k of 9, 40, and 45 to hold me over plus all the social I have not in storage. I cried when I had to take down the Twin SDB's and wrap and box them prior to moving. I carefully boxed and wrapped the primers and powder. The lead and brass stayed in their boxes or zip lock bags. Will post an update later next year when all is well again.....
Old School S.W.A.T. The Gold Standard
Old September 28, 2014, 08:48 PM   #13
Peter M. Eick

I agree I don't have enough brass in general. Most calibers I only have about 3000 pieces. Far to little in general.

Old, well very old, picture but you get the idea...
Old September 28, 2014, 09:12 PM   #14
rcmodel
Contributing Member

Every time I ever did that in my life?

I needed an empty case in that caliber for some obscure reason within 24 hours!

rc
Old September 28, 2014, 09:16 PM   #15
Sauer Grapes

Wow, your much too neat and organized for me....lol. I just throw loaded ammo in the old boxes the bullets come in.

I could never afford to load all the brass I have. Just for 45acp I have 3 5 gallon buckets full.
Old September 29, 2014, 02:21 AM   #16
1SOW

About the time I load a LOT of rds, I find a new load/bullet/powder that does a better job; then I prefer to shoot my NEW loads and have all those boxes of less-than-preferred sitting there.
Old September 29, 2014, 05:46 AM   #17
jcwit

What in heavens name would I I do with 10, 20, 30, thousand or more primed cases of 9mm, 45acp, .223, 380, or other calibers? Thats meaning that many in each caliber.
Old September 29, 2014, 07:24 AM   #18
tightgroup tiger

I stay about 2k ahead of my 9mms but with all the other calibers I load for, I only stay a few hundred ahead.

I never know when I might want to change something.
Old September 29, 2014, 05:29 PM   #19
dickttx

I agree with TT. I shoot mostly 45 ACP and 38 Super. I keep 1K of each loaded and always use the oldest first. Even then I have recently ran into problems by changing to coated bullets in the 38 Super and to small primer 45 brass. I felt like I was just shooting to be shooting up my old ones.
I had much rather have my supplies in powder, primers, and bullets than in loaded rounds. And I will reload those 2K pieces of brass until they are ready for the scrap bucket before I break out another set.
Everyone gets to do what works best for them. I don't want to leave thousands of rounds of reloaded ammo that my grandkids will not want to use because "Grandpa might have been a little ditzy when he loaded those."
Old September 29, 2014, 07:07 PM   #20
shooter1

Peter, it seems to me you don't shoot enough. I'll never live long enough to have all my brass loaded at the same time. I can load it pretty fast on my 650, but my pistols unload it even faster.
str1
Old September 30, 2014, 04:11 AM   #21
Catshooter

Nice work Peter.

Just imagine if you had to buy all that ammo!

Cat
Old September 30, 2014, 07:21 AM   #22
ljnowell

I don't think I could load all my 45 acp cases if I had too. I had all of my 45 colt cases loaded once though. I shoot too many 38s to accomplish that.
Old September 30, 2014, 09:25 AM   #23
johnc486

Thats a nice stash and nicely organized. I am a new owner of a Pro 2000 auto index and can't load enough to keep my desires in check, it's just a dream of a machine especially compared to my 550B. I have a question tho, do you have any suggestions how to get the powder measure to throw consistent with Unique powder, it throws deviations of +|- .4 grains. Bullseye is consistently throwing within +|- .1 to .2 grains which I am very satisfied with. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Old September 30, 2014, 09:36 AM   #24
Nick93

here is the stash i loaded a few days ago, as always ran out of bullets... hope last until end of year!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20140928_232818[1].jpg (104.2 KB, 12 views)
Old September 30, 2014, 09:37 AM   #25
jmorris

I have far too many buckets of brass to do that. I keep a good supply loaded but prefer to keep the components available.

The same powder say 2400 works well for my 357 loads but if I loaded up every last 357 case I had I would use it up and wouldn't be able to use it in 44 mag and 458 socom and others too.

Not very important during normal times but every time nuckle heads buy everything they can get their hands on intending to use it or just resale at stupid prices, it's nice to have the versatility you get from powder when it's in a jug vs a loaded round.