Quantcast
difference in powder lots? - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Ammunition, Gear, and Firearm Help > Handloading and Reloading

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old Yesterday, 03:43 PM   #1
savagelover

difference in powder lots?

I am about out of one lot of H4895..
How much difference do you think
I will find in my next lot of powder.?

I have had some say a lot and some
have said very little if any at all..
Old Yesterday, 03:49 PM   #2
41 Mag

Usually it isn't much. That said I always like to err on the side of safety and depending on where my load is, drop off a gain and ease it back up. If I am on the lower end though I don't sweat it, only half or more.

H4895 is pretty forgiving on the mid to lower end. Some of the others depending on the case capacity aren't.

41 Mag's - Photobucket Page
Old Yesterday, 06:30 PM   #3
jmorris

I have at least one powder bar that has not been adjusted in more than a decade, throwing the same charge.

I get more than 9000 rounds per 4# jug but have been through a lot of them over the years. Always the same results over the chronograph.
Old Yesterday, 06:47 PM   #4
ArchAngelCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagelover View Post
I am about out of one lot of H4895..
How much difference do you think
I will find in my next lot of powder.?

I have had some say a lot and some
have said very little if any at all..
Commercially sold powders are made as close as possible to the same powder sold over time. That is what makes published load data possible and safe.

If you were asking about surplus or pull-down powder the answer will be very different because the powder burn rate can be and usually is very different. Commercially sold powders are very close to what you expect from the powder label on the front of the bottle. Of course if you are right up against the pressure limits you should always drop back slightly in case there is some slight difference in the burn rate although over the years I have not found any canister powder to be different enough from other lots of the same powder to have to change the charge weights.
Old Yesterday, 07:27 PM   #5
gahunter12

I agree with ArchAngelCD. I never adjust my .40s&w/Titegroup load since I'm nearly 1gr below suggested minimum. On the other hand I do drop back about 2gr on my 300wm loads since I'm .5gr above the suggested max per Hodgodon for H4831sc. This has been a pain over the last year since it has been hard to find #8 jugs, or more than 2 or 3 1lbers with the same lot number. I ran out of H4831 last April, and picked up 4 1lb bottles (all with different lot #). After backing off, and working back up I was able to get about 72 rnds out of each bottle.
Old Yesterday, 07:41 PM   #6
ArchAngelCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gahunter12 View Post
I agree with ArchAngelCD. I never adjust my .40s&w/Titegroup load since I'm nearly 1gr below suggested minimum. On the other hand I do drop back about 2gr on my 300wm loads since I'm .5gr above the suggested max per Hodgodon for H4831sc. This has been a pain over the last year since it has been hard to find #8 jugs, or more than 2 or 3 1lbers with the same lot number. I ran out of H4831 last April, and picked up 4 1lb bottles (all with different lot #). After backing off, and working back up I was able to get about 72 rnds out of each bottle.
Yeah, this shortage and not being able to get 8lb jugs of what we want has made things a little more difficult than usual. (and more expensive of course)
Old Yesterday, 07:55 PM   #7

Call me irresponsible but I simply use the powder as always regardless of Lot Number. Why should I work up a proven load unless the powder has been reformulated or something? If I bought powder in a metal container and 30 years later bought it in a plastic jug I could understand reworking the load, but not if it's current production.

From what I understand match shooters usually drop charges with a measure and don't consider .5 - 1 grain variance to make any considerable difference. I'm not a match shooter and mostly agree with that point of view. Volume is the key and case fill is more important to volumetric efficiency than if a burn rate is exactly the same as before. Who knows if the powder you are using isn't different at the bottom of the can than the top? It doesn't make a hoot to me, but I do understand if people think that there is that much consistency in smokeless powder that it may provide an advantage, even if only psychological.
Old Yesterday, 08:07 PM   #8
noylj

It all depends.
Every reloading manual will tell you to rework the charge. This is the safe thing to do.
If you have worked up the "most" accurate load, then you will almost certainly find that you will need a slight fine-tuning. If you are shooting for fun, it really won't matter.
Since you are shooting a rifle powder, it almost certainly won't matter, unless you are into long-range competition.
I will remind you what the road to hell is paved with…good intentions. When you decide you know better than someone else how their life should be lived, you are on the road to becoming the next Dark Lord.
Old Yesterday, 08:48 PM   #9
oneounceload

Quote:
I get more than 9000 rounds per 4# jug
So loading less than 4 grains per load? Must be a mouse fart load it seems

"When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty."
Thomas Jefferson
Old Yesterday, 09:53 PM   #10
gahunter12

Quote:
Quote:
I get more than 9000 rounds per 4# jug
So loading less than 4 grains per load? Must be a mouse fart load it seems
Yep, that sounds about right. I get about 16,400 rounds of .40s&w out of #8 jug of TG. It's a super light load that requires light recoil springs in my Glock 35's, but meets IDPA PF.
Old Yesterday, 11:43 PM   #11
223man

About 20 years ago I'd almost finished a 8# jug of H335, so I made a batch with the old and a batch with the new.

The load: 223 Rem. / 55 gr. Hornady SX / 25 gr. H335

I chrono'd both and the new batch was 50 fps faster. I don't remember the velocities.

Significant? Judge for yourself. While the change didn't make the load dangerous (AFAIK), it did change things.
Old Today, 12:13 AM   #12
gamestalker

I run most of my loads pretty much full tilt, that said I have never had an instance in which a different lot had any noticeable effect. But everything I work with is in the slow burn range too, that alone keeps me feeling fairly comfortable.

I'm not suggesting anyone do as I do, I'm merely stating how I approach this.

GS