Quantcast
Your most accurate 9mm load - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Ammunition, Gear, and Firearm Help > Handloading and Reloading

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old February 11, 2016, 06:04 PM   #1
jmorris

Your most accurate 9mm load

Played with one of my 9mm carbines today and found a noticeable difference in the accuracy @ 100 yards of the various loads I had on hand.

What have you found to be your most accurate load?
Old February 11, 2016, 09:02 PM   #2
Dudedog
Contributing Member

I like 4.3gr of WSF with a RMR 124gr FN, mild load about 1030fps, 4.6gr WSF also shoots well. (these bullets also worked well for me with HP38, Universal and CFE-Pistol)
Old Yesterday, 02:18 PM   #3
egd

As bad as I shoot it's hard to tell what's accurate. But I think 4.2 gr of W231/hp38 with the RMR 124 RN at 1.135 oal works best for me.
Old Yesterday, 02:32 PM   #4
bds

Disclaimer: Following post contains loads not currently published by powder manufacturers. Use them at your own risk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorris
most accurate 9mm load ... carbines ... @ 100 yards
I may finally get a weekend without rain for a change to go shooting.

Have several loads ready for 9mm/45ACP carbine testing (17" Just Right carbine and 16" PSA AR carbines). But 100 yards? I was planning to do accuracy/chrono testing at 25/50 yards but can do some testing at 100 yards too.

Planned 9mm loads for carbine testing are listed below and may add other powders (Universal/WSF/CFE Pistol/AutoComp) and bullets (RMR HM 115 gr RN). The groups were shot from Glock 22 with KKM/Lone Wolf 40-9 conversion barrels:

115 gr Winchester FMJ 4.8 gr W231/HP-38 at 1.135" - This is my reference 9mm load. Accuracy about 3" @ 25 yards.

124 gr Coated lead/RMR HM RN 4.0 gr Red Dot/Promo at 1.160" - General purpose range practice/plinking load with accuracy on par with reference load. Will test Red Dot and Promo powders separately. This will likely be my designated carbine load and may even test 115 gr bullet for accuracy comparison.

124 gr RMR HM RN 4.0 gr WST at 1.160" (4.0 gr max case fill at 1.160" to prevent powder compression) - Produced smallest shot group of 1.5" @ 25 yards - http://www.thehighroad.org/showthrea...22#post9924922

124 gr RMR HM RN 5.2 gr BE-86 at 1.160" (5.2 gr max case fill at 1.160" to prevent powder compression) - Produced sub 2" shot group @ 25 yards - http://www.thehighroad.org/showthrea...22#post9924922

124 gr Berry's RN (regular plating/solid base) 4.0 gr Titegroup at 1.160" - Produced 2" shot group @ 25 yards and will test with HBRN-TP/RMR HM RN bullets - http://www.thehighroad.org/showthrea...22#post9924922

124 gr Berry's HBRN-TP/RMR HM RN 3.8 gr Bullseye at 1.135" - 1" @ 15 yards and will test at 1.160" with 4.0 gr.

115 gr Berry's HBRN-TP 6.1 gr Herco at 1.160" (6.1 gr max case fill at 1.160" to prevent powder compression) - 1" @ 10 yards and want to do more accuracy testing with 115 gr RMR HM bullets - http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=745656

124 gr Coated lead RN 5.2 gr Herco at 1.160" - 1" @ 10 yards. Since Herco produced very accurate plated/lead loads for 40S&W, I want to test Herco for plated/coated lead bullets.

Last edited by bds; Yesterday at 03:27 PM.
Old Yesterday, 05:54 PM   #5
sniper58

I'm using Campro 124 grain plated hollow points over 5.3 grains of WSF in my Aero Survival rifle (with Vortex Strikefire sight).
Seated to 1.110" I get 8 of 10 shots in 1.75" at 50 meters. There are always a couple of flyers.

Chronographs at 1380 fps
Old Yesterday, 06:25 PM   #6
PapaG

Only worked in my P85, but the RCBS 150KT with a sane load of Unique was the only "tack driving" load I have found in a series of about a dozen 9mm handguns over the years.
92 Beretta likes the 124 grain TC, Smith 39 likes the 147 TC, and my Kahr, LC9 and M&P Shield all like the Berry's 125 (I think) grain plated hp. None have I ever loaded "hot". Hottest I ever seem to get is about halfway between starting and max.
Old Yesterday, 07:42 PM   #7
vaalpens
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
Played with one of my 9mm carbines today and found a noticeable difference in the accuracy @ 100 yards of the various loads I had on hand.

What have you found to be your most accurate load?
Based on your OP it seems that you had some accurate 9mm loads for your handguns, but when you played with the carbine, some of those loads did not perform that well.

I just have handgun loads, so an accurate load will probably not help for the carbine.

Can you maybe share some loads that performed well in both handgun and carbine, and maybe some of them that did not. It will be interesting to see.
Old Yesterday, 09:33 PM   #8
bds

Walkalong and other members posted in the past that loads that were accurate in pistols were also accurate loads for carbines.

Weather forecast finally looks good enough for me to do some accuracy and chrono testing this weekend so hopefully I will post some carbine data tomorrow.

jmorris, I will do some 100 yard testing too.
Old Yesterday, 09:42 PM   #9
jmorris

To be honest I really never played with 9mm a lot further than 35 yards or so. Always seemed to use something else, further out.

Plated 147's are the worst I have tried so far Winchester 115g JHP's are the best so far. Just seeing what others have came up with.

Let us know how they turn out BDS.
Old Today, 12:06 AM   #10
Hondo 60
Contributing Member

jmorris as you said "found a noticeable difference in the accuracy"

What works beautifully in one gun, can the worst load ever in another.
I have four 38 Specials - I'd be much better off with just one.
A load that works great in one, doesn't do so well in another.

You'll find the same with 9mm.

You also didn't say what bullet?
115gr? 147gr?? in between??
Jacketed?? plated?? lead??

To many variables to get a straight answer.
I'm honestly not trying to be difficult, but you gotta give us a start.

Personally, I like 124 gr Hi-Tek coated bullets from ACME

http://www.acmebullet.com/bullets-re...product_id=424

They're RN-NLG (round nose - no lube groove)
Being coated they don't need bullet grease.
4.0 gr of Titegroup - A MAX LOAD.
My gun is very tight, so it needs that max to reliably cycle.