Quantcast
Win Super Field for light 12g loads - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Ammunition, Gear, and Firearm Help > Handloading and Reloading

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old April 22, 2014, 10:59 AM   #1
mdog

Win Super Field for light 12g loads

As you know powder is scarcer than hen's teeth lately. I load 12 gauge
Remington GunClub hulls with Cheddite primers and Clay Buster CB8100-12
wads with 1oz 9 shot and a muzzle velocity of about 1100 fps for skeet.

Ideally I should use WAAlite or Win Super Target, but all I can get right
now is Win Super Field. I realize this is meant for heavy loads, but
would there be a problem if I decrease the powder charge to get my 1100
fps velocity with the above components?

I tried contacting Winchester(Hodgdon) but got no reply. I realize this is not the ideal powder, however times are tough and I have
to buy what is available. But I also want to be safe and have consistant
loads and velocities. Thank you
Old April 22, 2014, 11:23 AM   #2
grubbylabs

Usually with shot gun, you only load what is published. Going outside published data is believed to cause all kinds of catastrophes, including blown up guns personal injuries and in some cases may even cause the Earth to shift on its axis.
Old April 22, 2014, 11:49 AM   #3
oneounceload

Yes there would as the pressure would be different. Use the right powder. There is more than SF available that can be used. Look for Red Dot, Promo, Clay Dot, among others - they are starting to show up again

"When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty."
Thomas Jefferson
Old April 22, 2014, 12:19 PM   #4
rodregier

Lee publishes data for WSF in light loads in conjunction with their Loadall-II product.
I'm currently having trouble finding an online copy.

I believe the latest Lyman shotgun reloading book does too.

I've used WSF for light 12ga loadings. With any light loadings, the danger is incomplete ignition (bloopers) as opposed to overpressure. Never happened to me, I'm not trying to drive to the very bottom end. My goal was a practice "tactical" buckshot loading that made IPSC 12ga power factor.

I have paper and PDF copies of the Lee data, OP can IM me if they want a copy.
Old April 22, 2014, 12:33 PM   #5
mdog

Thank you Rodregier. That's what I wanted to know. I have Lyman's latest book but did not see light loads with WSF. I will check again.

I did not believe that lighter powder charges would increase pressure and cause my gun to blow up. However I was worried about inconsistent burns and varying velocities. I will search for Lee data as well. Thanks again.
Old April 22, 2014, 01:20 PM   #6
oneounceload

Never said the pressure would go up; said the pressures would be different, and enough so that bloopers, inconsistent burns and poor performance would be the result. You need a certain level of pressure, depending on the powder's burn rate, to work successfully.

"When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty."
Thomas Jefferson
Old April 22, 2014, 01:35 PM   #7
mdog

Thank you oneounceload. This is what I suspected but wanted to hear it from more experienced reloaders like you. I am on gunbot.net everyday, but either do not see any powder or if I do it is already sold out. Most sites are not taking backorders. Thank you for your input, I will pass on the Win Super Field.
Old April 22, 2014, 02:51 PM   #8
ArchAngelCD

When all else fails you can always change powder companies.

Clays will do what you're looking to do.
You can also try the two Accurate shotgun powders, Nitro 100 and Solo 1000 or even Ramshot Competition.
Alliant has good target powders too like American Select, Clay Dot, e3 or Red Dot. My buddy just tried e3 and told me it is extremely accurate and clean!

If those suggestions aren't to your liking check the online powder sites and see if there is something there you like...
http://hodgdon.com/shotpist.html
http://alliantpowder.com/products/shotshell.aspx
http://www.accuratepowder.com/products/shotshell/
http://www.ramshot.com/products/shotshell/

I'm only mentioning different powders because you already said you had to change. Why go to a powder that will be hard to download when there are other good light load target powders available?
Old April 22, 2014, 03:45 PM   #9
mdog

I hate to whine, but those are most of the powders I have been looking for. I live in rural KY and stores around here just don't stock powder. I watch gunbot.net daily and none of the powders you listed are available today. I just have to keep looking.

I have some IMR sr 7625 but I save that for my 20 gauge. I am down to less than a pound. Thank you for your suggestions, at least I am looking for the correct powders.
Old April 22, 2014, 04:07 PM   #10
oneounceload

You might have to make a road trip or contact friends and family who may live near some sources to check for you. I routinely make the rounds of a few places. My local club can't get any, BUT he can get some from another club - not exactly what I was looking for for my shotgun load, but I may have to switch as well. Since I typically buy in 8# jugs, 2 at a time, I am rather hoping I can score my Titewad or at least Extralite.

Thomas Jefferson
Old April 22, 2014, 05:46 PM   #11
blarby
Contributing Member

Quote:
may even cause the Earth to shift on its axis.
Indeed.......

Please send me a description of the components you have on hand, your velocity requirements, and your payload request and I will dig up what I can wednesday evening.

With that said, a load manual or two would do you a lot of good ! The lyman shotshell manual is a great first start.

The Reloading section Pay it Forward thread. Here