Quantcast
Power Pistol, Lead, 357 mag = ? - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Ammunition, Gear, and Firearm Help > Handloading and Reloading

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old July 29, 2014, 09:41 PM   #1
fourdollarbill

Power Pistol, Lead, 357 mag = ?

Because of my love hate relation with UniqueImageUploadedByTapatalk1406684313.384718.jpglol... I thought about testing the waters with Power Pistol.
GP100 6"
158gr LSWC hard 18b
Do you have any words or opinions to voice about this ensemble ? I would like to know if others that are satisfied with PP and lead.

Last edited by fourdollarbill; July 29, 2014 at 10:07 PM. Reason: fix words
Old July 29, 2014, 10:39 PM   #2
LOLBELL

Unique "should" burn cleaner than that if you bring the pressure up. I load a lot of Unique and don't get those results. I use it in 357, 41, 44, and 45C and after a couple hundred rounds I have nowhere near that much residue. I don't load max but I do get kinda close. I have never used PP but IF I could find some I would like to give it a try.
Old July 29, 2014, 10:41 PM   #3
ArchAngelCD

Power Pistol is a slower powder than Unique so if you load it as light as you load Unique you will get just as dirt.
Old Yesterday, 09:45 AM   #4
Lj1941

Power Pistol loaded correctly will do just fine if you can stand the flash and loud report. It is not a good propellent for light loads.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old Yesterday, 12:11 PM   #5
rsrocket1

I worked up to 10g PP in a 357 case under a 125g TC lead boolit and averaged 1465 fps out of my 4" Ruger Service Six. Big boom, lots of flash and turned heads. Really fun load to shoot.

My "bread and butter" load is 5.0g Unique under a 158g RNF in a 38 special case. Good burn, nice recoil, but comfortable enough to shoot a couple hundred rounds without beating up your hands. Yes, you get dirty hands and the stainless steel gun looks like a blued gun at the end of the day, but it cleans up easily with Hoppes. If you want even more soot, try Bullseye. It's just as fun, but the gun looks blued after only about 50 rounds.
Old Yesterday, 07:44 PM   #6
fourdollarbill

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOLBELL View Post
Unique "should" burn cleaner than that if you bring the pressure up. I load a lot of Unique and don't get those results. I use it in 357, 41, 44, and 45C and after a couple hundred rounds I have nowhere near that much residue. I don't load max but I do get kinda close. I have never used PP but IF I could find some I would like to give it a try.

I load 6.6 unique under a .358 158 LSWC 18b. The bullet seems to bump out well and seal the barrel. I wouldn't think that is too light as to burn dirty. It's my most accurate load. Sounds like the PP is going to do the same ?
Old Yesterday, 10:06 PM   #7
LOLBELL

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourdollarbill View Post
I load 6.6 unique under a .358 158 LSWC 18b. The bullet seems to bump out well and seal the barrel. I wouldn't think that is too light as to burn dirty. It's my most accurate load. Sounds like the PP is going to do the same ?
I load 7.5 g of Unique with a 158 g SWC and get good results. I've got data that says that is close to max and data that says it's a tad over for a 158 LSWC but it works good for me