Quantcast
Hornady FMJBT 150 gr in M1A - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Ammunition, Gear, and Firearm Help > Handloading and Reloading

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old May 27, 2015, 01:00 AM   #1
gab909

Hornady FMJBT 150 gr in M1A

Just picked up a M1A, couldn't help myself. Anyways, I ran across some 150 Gr FMJBT Hornady Projectiles that I have. I have 8 pounds of IMR 4895 and want to know if there is a load or if these bullets are too light to shoot out of the M1A. I found some info, but it was for the Nosler E Tip and that is a totally different animal than the FMJ. I found my Speer book and they have a Speer 150 FMJBT and it calls for a minimum of 41 Gr and a max of 45 Gr. I want to load a few up and see how it does. Does anyone shoot these through their M1A's? Just wondering
Old May 27, 2015, 11:38 PM   #2
JustSomeGuyinCA

I load that same bullet with that same powder for that same rifle. To clarify, I load 42 grains of IMR 4895 under the Hornady 150gr FMJBT in LC cases using S&B LR primers. This is just a blasting load that shot well on paper for me. Make sure you know whether the data you are using references commercial or military cases.
Old May 27, 2015, 11:50 PM   #3
rcmodel
Contributing Member

Too light?

The standard round for the M-14 rifle was the M-80 147 grain FMJ round.

Your M1-A is an M-14 without the full-auto capability.

So no, 150 grain isn't too light.

rc
Old May 28, 2015, 02:23 AM   #4
GooseGestapo

That particular bullet is intended for the 7.62x51 aka .308.
The cannelure is positioned for the 7.62/.308.
However, my M1-Garand .30/06 likes them just fine seated to 3.250" over IMR4895.
Old May 28, 2015, 02:46 AM   #5
ReloaderFred

My M1A Match loves that bullet and powder and my standard M1A also likes it. When I carried the M14 in the Marine Corps, all we shot were 147 gr. bullets, even for qualifications out to 500 meters.

Hope this helps.

Fred
Old May 28, 2015, 08:39 AM   #6
stubbicatt

I've had good results with that bullet and H4895 in milsurp cases. Mostly I load it for plinking/blasting purposes with Ramshot TAC. Best I can recall out of a PTR91 was just over an inch at 100 yards, which is on par with any other combinations I have shot from that rifle.
Old May 28, 2015, 01:44 PM   #7
mdi

I've used a lot of Hornady 150s in my '06 Garand and bolt action .308. I haven't been able to find an IMR4895 so I have been using IMR4064...
Old May 28, 2015, 08:00 PM   #8
SlamFire1

I tested both the 150 Hornady and 155 Nosler match bullets with 42.5 grains IMR 4895, LC cases, CCI #34 primer. Both of these bullets will be just at 2700 fps, or a little under, in your M1a. I was surprised to have good groups at 100 yards with the 150 Hornady's, when I managed to hit a sweet spot. This load, 41.0 grains IMR 3031 with a 150 Hornady, shot like gang busters in my 308 Win bolt rifle. It will also do well, in a M1a, though it only shoots this well in the bolt rifle.