Quantcast
Winchester brass, what's up with QC - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Ammunition, Gear, and Firearm Help > Handloading and Reloading

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old Yesterday, 02:59 AM   #1
gamestalker

Winchester brass, what's up with QC

Lately, like over the last 6 months, I have been having issues with poor QC. I opened a two new bags of Win. brass today, 7 mag and .243 win. and both had quite a few unusable pieces in them.

Some of the necks had wrinkled necks, thick spots that make it absolutely necessary to to turn it just to make it loadable. I also came across several pieces of 6mm that had small splits at the mouths, and at the shoulder to neck junction, also saw these splits on 7 mag..

I know it''s not Lapua, but over all, I was pretty disappointed. Between the 100 pieces, I had 11 pieces that I wouldn't consider using at all, and another 7 that will need some time consuming work to make them loadable. But even of those that were loadable, at least half had very inconsistent lengths that varied by as much as .015", always short, never long, and a few were even beyond that.

I'm not seeing these issues with RP or Federal. I don't think I'm gonna be buying any more Win. brass for a while, maybe not at all if I can help it. And if this was an isolated or now and then incident, I might be more understanding, but this seems to becoming more and more a common occurrence.

And although Win. has always been real good about taking care of the problem, it puts me in a bit of a jam, as I have time constraints and need this brass now, not in a week or two, or longer.

GS
Old Yesterday, 05:55 AM   #2
jwrowland77

Wow, that's crazy. I haven't bought any new brass lately that wasn't Lapua in last 6 months, so can't talk about recent QC.

That's disappointing GS. I've always had great luck with Winchester brass and always looked good, but again, I haven't bought any brass lately that wasn't Lapua.

Hope they resolve it quickly for you and send you some good brass. Sucks you have to wait though.
Old Yesterday, 11:07 AM   #3
Crashbox
Contributing Member

A few years ago I bought a bunch of Winchester .357 Magnum brass and I had issues with the primer pockets loosening MUCH faster than my R-P, PMC or Starline brass. They were also the most expensive at the time. And so for that reason I try to avoid the stuff.

But I will say it was the best-looking brass I had in stock.
Old Yesterday, 08:12 PM   #4
gamestalker

Even though I don't shoot competition, I think I'm gonna start using Lapua. Just too many inconsistencies with the standard grade stuff these days. There was a time 20-30 years ago when I think most standard grade brass was better than it is now days.

GS
Old Yesterday, 08:50 PM   #5
jwrowland77

Everything was better quality 20-30 years ago over today's stuff.