Quantcast
Using Competition Dies Compared to Std Dies - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Ammunition, Gear, and Firearm Help > Handloading and Reloading

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old December 14, 2014, 10:52 AM   #1
roc1

Using Competition Dies Compared to Std Dies

First of all I am not competing just casual shooting for the pure enjoyment and relaxation. My question to you that have used both types are bushing resizing dies and micrometer type seating dies worth the extra expense for me to move up to for my shooting? I have only factory guns std chambers several are hunting rifles I hunt with no comp type rifles. I would like insight to whether the accuracy increase case life etc would be worthwhile ? I might only try it on heavy barrel 222 308 6.5 creed. Just looking for some honest opinions always want to get more accuracy but have to consider cost if it is really worth it for the gain if any in my case
Thanks for any insight
Roc1
Old December 14, 2014, 10:59 AM   #2
243winxb

I would start with this. [IMG][/IMG] Plus sort brass by weight and uniform the flash hole for accuracy. Brass life is longer for me. I seat with standard RCBS die.
Old December 14, 2014, 11:07 AM   #3
roc1

Thanks 243winxb how about neck die vs fl bushing die? I neck size fl size when need to bump shoulder back
Thanks
Roc1
Old December 14, 2014, 12:09 PM   #4
capreppy

Lee Neck Sizer, Redding body die when I need to bump the shoulder or just FL size (prefer the body die, but tht is the process that I follow), and a competiton seating die (I can write down the reading that may change with each bullet profile and saves me time when doing setup).

I get very decent case life and my accuracy is on par with my abilities (still have a ways to go)
Old December 14, 2014, 12:37 PM   #5
243winxb

Doing your own testing is the only way to know. I do get better case life with the bushing die. Little to no split necks.
Old December 15, 2014, 04:33 PM   #6
243winxb

Redding Bushing Die

Read Reddings http://www.redding-reloading.com/tech-line-a-tips-faqs With a factory chamber, if the fired brass neck has to be sized down more than .008" there may be concentricity, or neck runout problems. If this happens, 2 bushing are needed to reduce the neck in 2 steps. I dont check runout.
Old December 15, 2014, 04:41 PM   #7
roc1

I check runout on gage I am going to try bushing die on my target rifles see if it helps
Thanks
Roc1