Quantcast
Pay it Forward in Reloading - Page 67 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Ammunition, Gear, and Firearm Help > Handloading and Reloading

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old March 23, 2014, 02:36 PM   #1651
Havok7416
Contributing Member

They will fit in an envelope but it may be a bit tight. I usually just add filler - newspaper, bubblewrap, etc. - if I am sending a smaller amount of brass.
We’ve lost engine #1... and engine #2 is no longer on fire!
Old March 23, 2014, 04:39 PM   #1652
smovlov

.380 brass is spoken for.

Still have 14 or so pieces of 38 super. Free to a loving home.
Old March 23, 2014, 11:23 PM   #1653
Ray P

Don't know if anyone needs these, but... I have a used Lee length check gauge and shell holder available in (snip) .41 Mag if someone could use them. This is just the gauge and shell holder, you will need the cutter and lock stud.

Last edited by Ray P; March 26, 2014 at 02:53 PM.
Old March 23, 2014, 11:38 PM   #1654
TenDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray P View Post
Don't know if anyone needs these, but... I have used Lee length check gauges and shell holders available in .270, .243, .25-06 and .41 Mag if someone could use them. This is just the gauge and shell holder, you will need the cutter and lock stud.

Ray, I could use the 243 and 270. Been wanting to get that setup going.
Old March 23, 2014, 11:47 PM   #1655
Ray P

TenDriver; Pm your address & I'll get them out to you. Still have the .41 Mag length check gauge and shell holder available.

Last edited by Ray P; March 26, 2014 at 02:54 PM. Reason: removed .25-06
Old March 24, 2014, 09:19 PM   #1656
CCWdownrangeP2

poor man: PM sent
Old March 25, 2014, 05:22 PM   #1657
el indio

I have 91 45acp's. Who wants them?
Old March 25, 2014, 10:36 PM   #1658
mstreddy

Smovlov, if they are still available, I'd like the 38 Super brass. They can come into my loving home, get carefully reloaded, tender loaded and shot, and then all bets are off as they will eject into the next solar system!
So, yeah, I can always use more.
Old March 25, 2014, 10:39 PM   #1659
WestKentucky

Mstreddy...so you have one of those guns like I do that sends brass farther than bullet. It's why I don't reload for autos.
Old March 25, 2014, 10:44 PM   #1660
Edster12

Location: Central Maine--other wise known at the Frozen North
el indio if that 45ACP is still looking for a home, I got some room for it.

LOL I was expecting my Mini to send brass three counties over when I got it. To my surprise it sets it down in a nice pile about 5' away at 2 o'clock.
Old March 25, 2014, 11:10 PM   #1661
smovlov

14 38 supers to mstreddy.

My brothers mini sends them into a low space orbit.
Old March 26, 2014, 12:02 AM   #1662
ddgarcia05

Pay it Forward in Reloading

Anyone happen to have a spare manual.

I don't have one and I know that's the first thing I probably should have gotten. I checked out an ABC of reloading from a local library but there is no load date one it and it's been returned.
Old March 26, 2014, 12:26 AM   #1663
WestKentucky

Online resources. Try the powder manufacturers and bullet manufacturers.
Old March 26, 2014, 01:32 AM   #1664
mstreddy

WestKY, yep, my Taurus 1911 in 38 Sup loves to fling that brass away! Half my hits on paper are probably caused by the brass and not the bullets. My Llama is not quite that bad, but I hardly ever come back home with the same amount of brass I left with.
And of course, you just don't find 38 super laying around.
And if I didn't reload for the autos I wouldn't be shooting much! It's been a while since I found some "affordable" 38 Super. Never mind everything else!
9mm, 40 S&W, 45 ACP brass - I'm probably set for life. 380 - would like some more as it's another caliber I don't run into often. 38 special, 357 Mag, and 45 Colt - also set for life. Just the other day I didn't quite chew out a shooter for dumping 5 of my 38spcl brass in the big drum at the range. I had let him shoot my revolver, with my loads, and once he ejected, he grabbed them and instead of putting them back in the box, he dumped them in the drum before I could stop him. But, the flip side -- a buddy brought me a small bunch of brass including 30+ 38 spcl and 100+ 357Mag.

DdGarcia,
ABCs is good for learning the basics. There are no load tables/data in there. If you are looking for load data, you can check the powder company websites for their listings. That is probably the most current info on loads you can get. Hodgdon site covers Hodgdon, IMR and Winchester. Alliant has their "manual" available online, Accurate covers Accurate, Ramshot, and other Western brands.
With these you should be able to find load data for anything you need to load. If you already read the ABCs then you should be good to go.
If you are wanting a manual of your own, then I'd recommend the Lyman 49th, good basics section and a pretty decent load area. Same goes for Hornady book.

Last edited by mstreddy; March 26, 2014 at 01:40 AM.
Old March 26, 2014, 10:31 AM   #1665
el indio

edster, the 45's are yours. pm an address and I'll mail them by the end of the week.
Old March 26, 2014, 11:24 AM   #1666
TenDriver

DD, before I got manuals aside from the Lyman, I made copies of everything available online from the powder MFRs and put them in a binder. Worked great and I still use it. I think it was Hodgedon that had it set up in a way that you could print only the data you wanted. Accurate / Ramshot / Alliant are all in the same pages and you had to print out everything on the website. Go hit those up and stick them in a 3 ring binder. I'll copy some pages out of another manual or two for you if you'll let me know what calibers you're loading. I remember sending out some 9mm cases, but weren't there a couple of others you were loading as well?
Old March 26, 2014, 11:31 AM   #1667
Edster12

Location: Central Maine--other wise known at the Frozen North
el indio pm sent
Old March 26, 2014, 12:33 PM   #1668
bds
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestKentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by medalguy
After sending a half dozen more gifts I started requesting the recipient reimburse me for the postage. Out of 6 or 7 packages I have received the postage cost from ...... ONE...... person.
I understand the talk, but we should get back to paying it forward.
medalguy, I appreciate what you have done and your "reasonable" intent but as WestKentucky posted, this is still the "Pay it Forward" thread and not "Gifting/Random act of kindness or Trade" thread. The notion of "Pay it Forward" is better illustrated here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pay_It_Forward_%28film%29

blarby may better clarify the original intent of the thread but as I understand it, the principle of "Pay it Forward" is for the recipient of good will/gesture/gift to undergo an internal change from need to gratitude and when able, repay that generosity forward to someone else in need without asking for anything in return thus spreading change in human nature from greed/need to generosity/gratitude for the gifter/recipient.

Pay it Forward differs from Gifting or Random Act of Kindness that may be done either from self-gratification/glorification or true generosity. Pay it Forward differs in that the recipient is not under any obligation to the gifter to repay. The beneficiaries of gifting or the random act of kindness may feel obligated to repay the gifter at a later time which is different from the primary goal of "Pay it Forward" that I believe is a change in human nature away from individual greed but growth and development of others.

If we are honest and really think about it hard and deep, almost all of us are the recipient of some "Pay it Forward" where our various needs of life were met by someone else who shared time/knowledge/experience/talent/money/property without expecting repayment of any sort, often with varying levels of sacrifice on the gifter.

If you are paying forward with conditions and/or expectation of gifts to be forwarded to you (perhaps from obligation to repay for past pay it forward), I do not believe this act qualifies as true paying it forward but basically the act of greed/trading. Face it, we are all human and have the tendency to act like true humans with greed.

While the premise of this thread is for the recipients to "Pay it Forward" to others in need without expectation/demand of repayment, I do not see any problem with those wanting to seed gifts of "Pay it Forward" by gifting but these seeds must be done without conditions or the expectations of repayment. The actual cost of postage is real but when done out of gratitude for having received the generosity of "Pay it Forward", the cost becomes negligible.

In addition, the recipients of "Pay it Forward" should not feel obligated to immediately gift something to someone else to justify having received something needed for free with gifter having paid the shipping/postage too. The recipients should use/enjoy the gift while the appreciation grows that will (hopefully) result in the recipient wanting to pay forward to someone in need out of gratitude and not of obligation.

For some of you wondering, I have been the recipient of various "Pay it Forward" from many generous people in my life. I have spent thousands of dollar and countless hours over the decades for strangers who experienced need while "Paying it Forward" but the sacrifice of time and money was done out of gratitude for those who sacrificed for me in the past. But take heart in knowing that the notion of "Pay it Forward" has transformed my sacrifice of time and money more than hundred fold. It kinda works out when "Pay it Forward" is carried out as intended.

Sorry for the long post but I thought it was needed to clarify based on what some were using the thread for.

Do something meaningful and fun ... today:
Support vendors offering 5% THR discount - http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=760272
Support THR by becoming a contributing member - http://www.thehighroad.org/payments.php
Support Pay it Forward thread - http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=698208

Revelation 19:11

Last edited by bds; March 26, 2014 at 12:38 PM.
Old March 26, 2014, 05:43 PM   #1669
Centurian22

Very well said!
Old March 26, 2014, 08:11 PM   #1670
blarby
Contributing Member

BDS pretty much nailed it. 100% , actually.

Quote:
as I understand it, the principle of "Pay it Forward" is for the recipient of good will/gesture/gift to undergo an internal change from need to gratitude and when able, repay that generosity forward to someone else
Yep. My, how time sours the milk, eh ?

While my first post was intended to put something that couldn't be had into the hands of someone who couldn't put their hands on it....at all.... ITs gone on further than that, and in truth we're nearing the end of the ammopocalypse.

1670 posts, and closing in on 90k views. Think about that for a second. Someone has clicked on that hyperlink nearly ninety thousand times.

"we've come a long way, baby !"

With that said, it has at times gotten a little distorted, while I was inwardly wishing it'd stayed a little more pure- I outwardly helped to dilute its intent.

I'll take the lions share of the blame for asking for postage from time to time. Apparently I may have started- or at least contributed to, a trend that dilutes the purpose.

Sometimes someone "wants" something faster than I actually have the ability to "give" it. It started happening more and more, and kinda spiraled from there. Not an excuse- just an explanation of how it started at least, for me.

If they were willng to help me pick up the pace- it works out for them. But asking with a heavy voice has never been part of the intent.

Someone ( wonder who ) once told me to give until you can't anymore. It makes us all better for the exchange.

That is indeed true. Sometimes we/I hit the point where we can't can't give anymore. Maybe thats the point at which we should stop.

Thats for better men, in other threads to debate.

If I can't afford to send it in the future, I'll wait to offer it up until its boxed and just waiting for a name to go on it.

With that said, Lets let the PIF'n continue, shall we ?

The ammopocalypse may be nearing an end- but generosity and positive intent never should.

With that said, Lets let the PIF'n continue, and let the debates on some of the issues here be turned private- as opposed to public, shall we ?

The Reloading section Pay it Forward thread. Here

Last edited by blarby; March 26, 2014 at 08:26 PM.
Old March 26, 2014, 08:27 PM   #1671
blarby
Contributing Member

I have a small flat rate box of mixed headstamp 40 S&W ready for someone who needs it.

Post here that you need it, and PM me your details !

Happy sunday !

Old March 26, 2014, 09:26 PM   #1672
bob4

I might use that 40S&W Blarby.

PM sent

Last edited by bob4; March 26, 2014 at 09:30 PM. Reason: PM sent
Old March 26, 2014, 09:48 PM   #1673
WestKentucky

Quote:
TenDriver

DD, before I got manuals aside from the Lyman, I made copies of everything available online from the powder MFRs and put them in a binder. Worked great and I still use it. I think it was Hodgedon that had it set up in a way that you could print only the data you wanted. Accurate / Ramshot / Alliant are all in the same pages and you had to print out everything on the website. Go hit those up and stick them in a 3 ring binder. I'll copy some pages out of another manual or two for you if you'll let me know what calibers you're loading. I remember sending out some 9mm cases, but weren't there a couple of others you were loading as well?
Not quite true. Print screen is a forgotten button. Print screen takes a snapshot of your screen at that time. So, get what you want on the screen, hit print screen. Open Microsoft paint. Select the dashed box and draw a box, right click in the box and hit paste. Now cut and paste til you are happy. Print only what you need.
Old March 26, 2014, 10:04 PM   #1674
blarby
Contributing Member

40 S+W to Bob !

Old March 27, 2014, 12:25 AM   #1675
ddgarcia05

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenDriver View Post

Yes, loading 380, 223, and 380.

Thanks for the cases by the way. I already used them all and found some more at the local outdoor range.