Quantcast
Flashlight mount for tube feed .22 pump? - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Rifle Country

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old June 9, 2015, 09:39 PM   #1
rcmodel
Contributing Member

Flashlight mount for tube feed .22 pump?

Anyone ever seen one that works?

I'm about to make one.
But haven't came up with any brilliant ideas yet!

Anyone ever seen or made one??

I have a sudden pressing need.

Sick coon with a broken back leg walking in circles in the back yard the last three nights.

By the time I get a gun, & a light, & boots on, he is gone again.
Acts like he has rabies or something??

Really acting strange!!

rc
Old June 9, 2015, 09:47 PM   #2
chicharrones

All I can think of is a barrel clamp. Or duct tape to take care of business tonight.

Old June 9, 2015, 09:51 PM   #3
Inebriated

If you have a bicycle inner tube you can cut a few 1/2" wide section of, you can use them as a nice sturdy rubber band. Put the light against a spacer that keeps the beam straight with the bore, and just use a couple or three sections of inner tube to hold it in-place. Duct tape works too, but I'd be hesitant to put duct tape on anything with sentimental value...
Old June 9, 2015, 09:53 PM   #4
chicharrones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated View Post
Duct tape works too, but I'd be hesitant to put duct tape on anything with sentimental value...
Good point.
Old June 9, 2015, 09:56 PM   #5
Inebriated

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicharrones
Good point.
I suppose he could just put a piece of non-skid stuff or a rubber can opener between the tape and the gun to keep it from getting adhesive on the gun, but also keep the light from moving when pressed.
Old June 9, 2015, 10:02 PM   #6
chicharrones

Yep. I don't know how nice the gun is, but I'd definitely want to pad the gun from the flashlight. Maybe blue painters tape would make a better one time use material?
Old June 9, 2015, 10:12 PM   #7
rcmodel
Contributing Member

All good ideas guys!
But, this is a good old 06 Winchester, so I am hesitant to duct tape a $125 Streamlight Strion to it.
Or the light.

I'm thinking more along a barrel clamp that straddles the mag tube that I can put on & take off easily with a clamp thumb screw.

The light can go in a 1" Weaver scope ring.
And the clamp-on mount can have a Weaver scope base on it.

Just haven't figured out the lay-out of the barrel clamp yet to keep it out of the sight picture.

Ain't no big deal, as I can easily use the light and rifle at the same time.

Just be faster to grab one unit when the sick Zombi coon comes back in the night!

rc
Old June 9, 2015, 10:14 PM   #8
C.R.

hack up a mouse pad,break out the zip ties ...
Old June 9, 2015, 11:08 PM   #9
Artofgolf
Contributing Member

rc, something along this line...?

http://www.wildwestguns.com/product/...ht-mount-1895/
Old June 9, 2015, 11:12 PM   #10
rcmodel
Contributing Member

Zip Ties?

Now, why didn't I think of that in the first place???

Streamlight Stylus-Pro zip-Tied to 06 Winchester.
Didn't even need a mouse pad to bore sight it with the sights!

It gives plenty of light to see the sights out to 25 yards, and the beam is centered with the sights.

So small, you never know it's there.

That leaves the 640 Lumen Strion free to look for him!

Thanks C.R.!!
It's a better solution then building a clamp for the big light!!!

image.jpg

Artofgolf
Yes, that's what I was thinking about making.
But I found a better solution shown above.

Thanks!!

rc

Last edited by rcmodel; June 9, 2015 at 11:20 PM.
Old June 9, 2015, 11:46 PM   #11
Artofgolf
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmodel View Post
Artofgolf..Yes, that's what I was thinking about making. But I found a better solution shown above.....rc
Yes, zip-ties Simple & cheap.
Old June 10, 2015, 01:55 AM   #12
KodeFore

You can go on amazon or elsewhere online and buy a bolt section of picatinny rail you can mount anywhere on the barrel. I did this on a sig 522 and I personally don't see any problem with accuracy but then again I am more of a plinker and not a bullseye shooter
Old June 10, 2015, 09:08 AM   #13
chicharrones

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmodel View Post

Thanks C.R.!!
It's a better solution then building a clamp for the big light!!!

Attachment 211267

rc
That looks like an efficient and expedient set up.
Old June 10, 2015, 09:26 AM   #14
jimmyraythomason

Catch it in a cage trap and just shoot it in the daylight.
Pet peeves;"If you don't carry your gun like I do you're irresponsible","if you don't use the lube,cleaner and preservative that I do...you don't know guns","if you don't agree with my favorite gun scribe/guru,you are obviously uninformed".....just to name a few.
Old June 10, 2015, 04:53 PM   #15
C.R.

Glad the zip tie idea worked ! those are so handy at times !!
Old June 10, 2015, 04:55 PM   #16
Inebriated

So... did you kill it?
Old June 10, 2015, 08:33 PM   #17
rcmodel
Contributing Member

Well, I hit it with a Aguila Super-Colbri CB Cap while it was climbing over a chain-link fence at 1:45 AM this morning.

Solid body shot 30 yards away, and I heard it hit with the customary 'smack' wet meat sound.
Knocked him off the fence, but he made it into some brush.

So I don't know if I got him our not?
Hated to leave it like that, but by the time I got through two yard gates, he was gone.

I'll see if he shows up again tonight.

rc
Old June 10, 2015, 09:14 PM   #18
Ironicaintit

Oh i hate that. You know its hit, but away it went!
Its a pest, but still....
Old June 10, 2015, 09:20 PM   #19
rcmodel
Contributing Member

Nobody hates it worse then I do, I can assure you.

But it is sick, with a broken leg, and the way it's been acting, may have rabies.

Otherwise, I wouldn't have ever taken the shot that far with an under-powered CB Cap.

But we have houses, kids, & pets on all sides of us.
So a more powerful rifle is out of the question.

And that sick & injured coon needs to be out of here, permanently.
One way, or another.

rc

Last edited by rcmodel; June 10, 2015 at 09:38 PM.
Old June 11, 2015, 09:22 AM   #20
jmorris

I setup a Remington tube fed pump for my Father a number of years ago, so he could get rid of the rabbits eating Mom's flowers.

I kept all the crap on it and use it for armadillo control these days. Instead of the super colibri, I prefer Eley subsonic or at least Remington CBee.

The 20gn/500fps Aguila is not even as good as a decent pellet rifle for something that size.
Old June 11, 2015, 12:32 PM   #21
Sheepdog1968

I've used silicon tape. Only sticks to itself and makes removal without mess very easy.
Old June 11, 2015, 07:05 PM   #22
C.R.

another thought,they make velcro tape for keeping extentoin cords together wrap it around a couple times and it grabs its self that might work well if you want it quick detachable
Old June 11, 2015, 07:50 PM   #23
Cee Zee

I have a .22 that I have a laser mounted on. They make combination laser and flashlight mounts for rifles too. But I've been using the one I have for over 20 years. It is mounted high above the barrel so that you can see through the mount and use iron sights. For a long time it was my go to varmint gun just for purposes like the OP mentioned but I could also use it during the day. Again I see combination lights and lasers for .22's at Wally World sometimes. I haven't been there for a while so I'm not sure if they still have them. But there's nothing like a laser for shooting varmints. They like to run and nailing one at night even with a flashlight is tough. Not so with a laser. You can shoot from the hip and if that red dot is on the varmint you will hit it.

The only real problem I see is that you're using a .22 for a rabid critter. I've seen rabid animals take repeated shots to the head and keep right on like nothing happened at all. I had a rabid fox at point blank range one night. The only thing between me and it was my Marlin 60. I was half using it as a rifle and half using it as a club to keep the fox away from me. Something told me to take a wide swing around the corner of my house when I saw that fox coming right to the front door eating the cat's food. It stared at us through the window. Not typical fox behavior. So I grab my 60 and head outside. I see the fox go around the corner of the house and I know I don't want to step around that corner if that fox is right on the other side. And sure enough he was. I was a step and a half away from him at least. Far enough to get my rifle between us. The thing is I fired right into it's head like 8 times and it didn't even flinch. I had the gun right against it's head. Rabid animals do not act right for sure. It took a 12 ga. to finally bring that thing down. My 20 ga. didn't do the job either. I was thinking it was a super fox at that point. I didn't have a 12 at the time so I called a neighbor who had one. I bought a 12 ga. right after that. Rabid critters are no fun at all.

I found this laser and mount for .22's that might work for you. Again I've seen combination setups.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rifle-Laser-...-/221199512947

Also others have mentioned a barrel clamp. I have a light mounted to a pump shotgun using the clamp they use for adding a mag extension for a 870 type shotgun. Here's a sample of how people do that. I can take photos of my setup if you want but it's too big for a .22 barrel. Still there are lots of clamps in the world. Here's one like I use for my shotguns. This setup has worked well for me. I clamp one side to the barrel and the other side to a round flashlight. It's just a matter of finding the right size stuff.

Old June 13, 2015, 10:37 AM   #24
g.willikers

I'm a hose clamp guy, myself.
Old June 13, 2015, 01:52 PM   #25
ECVMatt

When I have to add a light to something I want to keep in good shape, I use Mueller pre-wrap foam tape. I get it from the sporting goods stores and use it to build a protective base. I then put on the light and tape it all together. I only use this with low round count shooting as the tape could melt.
http://www.directsports.com/mueller-...FZFlfgodLncAOQ