Quantcast
Vz2008 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Rifle Country

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old August 31, 2014, 11:00 PM   #1
improperlyaged

Vz2008

Anyone have one? How many rounds you got through it and how do you like it?
Old September 1, 2014, 01:09 AM   #2
Fishbed77

I picked up one a few weeks ago from one of PSA's stores.

The gun looks pretty much flawless, and the receiver machining is nicer looking than any milled AK I've ever seen. It came with a brand new sling (Hungarian though - not Czech), brand new bayonet and sheath, brand new cleaning kit, and one brand new loose mag. The mag pouch that came with it contains 4 additional used mags. Two are in very good condition, and two have a good bit of paint wear, and some little dents here and there, but are quite functional. The pouch itself (signed by Paska, whoever he is ) was the roughest item - quite dry and a bit moldy. Some leather conditioner brought it back to functionality.

So far I've only been able to put about 250 rounds through it. It's just too damn hot here right now to shoot much - my eye protection gets covered with dripping sweat within minutes, making it impossible to see. That said, reliability has been 100% with the Red Army Standard and Tula FMJ I've run through it so far.

I am surprised with how soft shooting the rifle is. I expected a little punch due the the light weight and small steel buttplate of the folder, but felt recoil is quite a bit less than any 7.62x39 AK I've fired. Recoil is also pretty much straight back. Everyone says the folder needs paracord to battle cheek slap, but I've felt none at all. I will say that the folder button is incredibly tight and difficult to open (but easy to close). I assume this will loosen up.

Accuracy is OK - maybe 2.5 - 3.5 MOA or so. Nothing to write home about, but I've only run cheap ammo. The striker-fired trigger feels... like a striker fired trigger. The pull and reset are long and heavy (maybe 7-8 lbs), but smooth with a fairly crisp break.

There are a few minor downsides. Dis-assembly is pretty easy, but the gun has a lot of nooks and crannies, and is not as easy to clean as an AK (easier than an AR). The pistol grip seems almost laughably short in length, but really doesn't seem to be a problem when shooting. The safety is a little weird to use. An improvement over the AK, but far behind the AR.

It won't be replacing my ARs as a go-to defensive rifle, but it is a very nice rifle and an incredible value.

Folks always say they remember the days when SKSs were $89 and MAK90s were $179, and they wish they had gotten one.

One day we'll be talking about how we remember the days when VZ2008s were $399.

Just go get one.

Old September 1, 2014, 01:44 AM   #3
119er

I have one. Seems luck of the draw. Two others I know bought them and one of those was fine. The other has yet to be fired. Mine has a seriously canted front sight. After no reply from Century and expiration of the warranty, I knocked out the pins and rotated the sight my self. Once I get it to be on paper at 50 I'll put a small tack and re-pin it the best I can. It has had no malfunctions and is fairly accurate actually. It just doesn't shoot where its lookin', so to speak. After I rotated it to what looked about right, the front post is still pushed all the way left to be on at 50.

I find the stock to extremely uncomfortable, as does most anyone who's shot it. I am just used to getting really far down on rifles from using peep sights on the M1, M1A, AR, etc. Its just a different animal for me, so take it with a grain of salt. I think I missed the AK train 5-6 years ago when they were more reasonable.

All that said, I feel it is a fair deal for $500. A foldable x39 with aluminum mags and a bolt hold open, and milled construction for that price ain't too bad. That trigger is definitely worse than any SKS or Mosin in my possesion though. The reset it all the way forward too. I think CNCWarrior makes brakes and trinkets if you're into that stuff.
Old September 1, 2014, 01:49 AM   #4
bhhacker

My front sights needed to be drifted almost all the way to the right to get on paper at 50 but it does great there now. I tried to put a standard AK thinner sight in it but it wasnt compatible. This is a great deal for what it is...a cheap rifle that is reliable and can shoot man sized targets at 100 yards. Just my 2 cents
Old September 1, 2014, 08:13 AM   #5
sappyg

Fishbed's assessment is spot on. Neat gun and a super bargain.

I've only got 100 rounds through mine. Though it is striker fired the trigger doesn't feel odd to me. I have had 2 light strikes on primers that fired on the second go. I doubt it was the ammo. Chalking that up to dirt or too much oil in the striker channel. I think these things want to run a little (or a lot) dryer than I'm used to.

Accuracy is fine by me though I haven't shot it at 100 yards yet. It's about the same as a Saiga or WASR at 25 yards offhand. At that distance I do need to drift the front sight about 3". No big deal but I wish I had a sight drift tool.

I haven't noticed any cheek slap from the stock as others have mentioned. Maybe I'm holding the gun wrong.

The fore end gets warm quickly (or quicker than I'm used to). After 20 rounds you'll start to notice. I fired 20 rounds in an AR yesterday but the hand guard was still cool to touch even though there was enough heat to cook off residual lube.
Old September 1, 2014, 09:31 AM   #6
68wj

Look through the vz.58 club thread. Lots of 2008 examples there

To ≠ Too ≠ Two, There ≠ Their ≠ They're, ...
Old September 1, 2014, 01:13 PM   #7
armoredman

vz-2008 is the only Century made firearm that consistently gets decent reviews. Due to the difficulty building the rifles, (so I'm told), it appears Century had to hire a better breed of drunken monkeys, and most of them apparently did well with the vz-2008. I have the CzechpointUSA SA vz-58, and it is a fantastic rifle. It is also 3 times the cost of the vz-2008 so if you want one, grab one - whatever cost you may spend to get it working right will be less, if that doesn't bother you.

http://czfirearms.us/ The original CZ Forum, new address.
Old September 1, 2014, 11:57 PM   #8
Fishbed77

Quote:
I haven't noticed any cheek slap from the stock as others have mentioned. Maybe I'm holding the gun wrong.
It's a better chance that you are holding it right.

I also find nothing uncomfortable about the stock other than the fact that the edge where it meets your face is a little sharp (though I never noticed any pain when shooting). I finally decided to wrap some paracord around it. Problem solved. I wouldn't change anything else about it.
Old September 2, 2014, 12:03 AM   #9
Fishbed77

Quote:
The fore end gets warm quickly (or quicker than I'm used to). After 20 rounds you'll start to notice.
I forgot to mention this above. This is probably the single biggest negative I can attribute to this design. After about 3 mags fired fairly rapidly, it can be quite uncomfortable to handle without gloves.
Old September 2, 2014, 07:09 PM   #10
119er

Quote:
I finally decided to wrap some paracord around it.
This is what I intend to do, I just have no idea how to do it. I have seen all the little paracord do-dads people make, I just never really learned how to do it. Do you mind describing how you did it or show some pics of it wrapped?
Old September 2, 2014, 11:28 PM   #11
Fishbed77

Quote:
This is what I intend to do, I just have no idea how to do it. I have seen all the little paracord do-dads people make, I just never really learned how to do it. Do you mind describing how you did it or show some pics of it wrapped?
There are tons on videos on Youtube that show you different methods to do it. This is the one I used:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=is8eIP3V9Qg

I was very pleased with the very low-profile results with this simple method. The key is to wrap the cord extremely tightly.
Old September 3, 2014, 12:45 AM   #12
119er

Thanks for the link. That one is straightforward and simple. Now to get some paracord.