Quantcast
Frustrated! - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Rifle Country

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old January 15, 2015, 04:49 PM   #1
bscott29

Frustrated!

I have a Stag model 3 ar. It has a weaver Kaspa zombie scope mounted with a Millett one-piece mount. The last time I shot it it was off so I adjusted the scope. I took it out today and it was dead balls. I took a break and shot it again at a 5 gallon bucket. I couldn't even hit the bucket with a good rest at about 80yds. Do you guys think it's the scope or the mount that's moving? Everything seems tight.
Old January 15, 2015, 05:02 PM   #2
G.barnes

It could be the optic is moving, it also could be you moving your cheek weld. If you look through the scope at a different angle each time the poi will change. Also check to make sure the barrel doesn't feel like its wiggling, could be a loose barrelnut.
Old January 15, 2015, 05:35 PM   #3
WonderDavid!

Do you have a bore sight? If so, take it and get your scope on target, then shoot it some and put the bore sight back in. If the crosshairs have moved then it's the scope or scope mounts, if not then it's the gun.
Old January 15, 2015, 05:42 PM   #4
Reloadron
Contributing Member

While the scope seems tight and secure the guts of the scope could be moving. WonderWeasel pretty much covered how to find that problem.

Ron
Old January 15, 2015, 05:47 PM   #5
bscott29

The barrel seems tight. I'm betting on the guts moving.
Old January 15, 2015, 05:48 PM   #6
bscott29

It really sucks, because I really like my set-up. If it's the scope it will be sent for repair and then sold.
Old January 15, 2015, 07:21 PM   #7
Reloadron
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bscott29 View Post
The barrel seems tight. I'm betting on the guts moving.
Yeah, when that happens it absolutely sucks and makes for a frustrating experience. That would be my guess anyway. You shoot a rifle and it's zeroed. Later you shoot the same rifle using the same ammo and wonder where the heck your bullets are going? The scope is tight and secure so that doesn't leave much as a likely cause.

Ron
Old January 15, 2015, 09:19 PM   #8
d2wing

I have a Weaver Kaspa that I am not sure I should trust myself. The adjustments seemed to jump the first time I used it. It might be ok, mine. I would try another scope if I were you.
Old January 15, 2015, 09:25 PM   #9
batex

Quote:
It has a Weaver Kaspa zombie scope...
My bet it's the scope. Even though it's a low end Weaver, it still has a lifetime warranty for the original owner. Send it back to Weaver and explain the problem... My bet is that they just ship you a brand new replacement. Then, sell it and upgrade! Just my .02.
Old January 15, 2015, 10:28 PM   #10
bscott29

Quote:
Originally Posted by batex View Post
My bet it's the scope. Even though it's a low end Weaver, it still has a lifetime warranty for the original owner. Send it back to Weaver and explain the problem... My bet is that they just ship you a brand new replacement. Then, sell it and upgrade! Just my .02.
This is what I'm thinking.
Old January 16, 2015, 08:42 AM   #11
quartermaster

I always have an extra scope on hand, just to check when I have a problem like yours to see if, in fact it is the scope. Even an old $30 dollar Tasco serves the purpose.

NRA Life Member
Old January 16, 2015, 08:59 AM   #12
roadchoad

Corollary to what quartermaster says, if you dont have another scope but have another rifle, you could take the scope off the stag and put it on another gun and see if it holds zero.
Old January 16, 2015, 10:17 AM   #13
Ibmikey

Roadchoad, of course he has a second or third rifle to check the scope, I believe in the Colt AR manual it states owning just one is a high misdemeanor. 😁 Leupold makes a wonderful little 1.5x4 just for the AR platform and Nikon has a fixed 3 power that is hard to beat and far cheaper.
Old January 16, 2015, 11:37 AM   #14
bscott29

I'm thinking about the Nikon p223 3x32 and the Bushnell ar optics 1-4x24 non illuminated scope. Does anyone have insight on these two scopes?
Old January 17, 2015, 01:28 PM   #15
bscott29

I boxed up the scope to send it to weaver today. They said they would repair or replace it. I'm hoping they will replace it. If so I will sell it . I think I will get a Burris fullfield ii 2-7x35.
Old January 17, 2015, 03:33 PM   #16
Ibmikey

I have the 3x Nikon on my AAC Handi Rifle in 300 Blackout..shot a 350 # boar at about sixty yards. The scope is clear, relatively light and good well into dusk.
Old January 17, 2015, 10:48 PM   #17
2ndtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bscott29 View Post
I boxed up the scope to send it to weaver today. They said they would repair or replace it. I'm hoping they will replace it. If so I will sell it . I think I will get a Burris fullfield ii 2-7x35.
The Redfield Revolution in 2-7x32 is a nice alternative to the Burris. American made and backed by Leupold.
Old January 17, 2015, 11:10 PM   #18
dvdcrr

When you shoot each group you are using consistent rifle rest and not laying the barrel directly on anything?
Old January 18, 2015, 03:32 PM   #19
bscott29

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdcrr View Post
When you shoot each group you are using consistent rifle rest and not laying the barrel directly on anything?
Actually when I was shooting off target I was resting the barrel on truck mirror. I still shouldn't be missing a 5 gallon bucket. I did notice that the scope has a rattle after I took it off of the rifle.