Quantcast
Winchester 94 octagon barrel conversion? - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Rifle Country

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old April 1, 2015, 06:11 AM   #1
andym79

Winchester 94 octagon barrel conversion?

Hi guys, I order two barrels for my 94s, nice 26" octagonal; some time ago.

One for my 30-30 and one for the 375 (replace with a 38-55, an almost identical cartridge).

They have just arrived in the country took 4 months, its mighty hard getting just barrels shipped out of the states.

Anyway, a couple of days after I found out that the Bigbore has a different threads Talk about due diligence.

Now I have two barrels and only one rifle to fit them to. Which should I go for I wanted to keep my 30-30 a 30-30. But the 38-55 will do all that a 30-30 can do and a lot more. I can load a 38-55 down to 30-30 but not vice versa!

I will add the twist is 1:10 in the 30-30 and 1:14 in the 38-55.

I could sell the Bigbore and buy another 94 in 30-30 for conversion, but the win375 is a rare animal!
Old April 1, 2015, 11:59 AM   #2
rule303

You could always have the .375 barrel set back, threaded for your 94, and rechambered. I personally would keep loads to the standard .38-55 levels. It is a fantastic caliber for shooting cast bullets.
Old April 1, 2015, 12:31 PM   #3
Malamute

The 38-55 can be safely loaded to very near the 375 velocity levels without bending anything.

Just depends on what you want the guns for. The 30-30 shoots quite a bit flatter if thats a consideration, and may be esier to find ammo for if you dont load all your own.

The twist doesnt mean much, both are whatever is common or useful for the chambering. The 38-55 (1-14) is a bit faster than the orginal barrels, but I think is about what the 375 uses.

As for bullets, the 38-55 and 375 probably use different bullets, though the Lee factorty crimp die or some cast bullets may allow use of the same bullet for both. The case lengths are different, so the crimp groove/canalure on the bullets are in different places. OAL is the same or very close. Check groove diameters also. Many 38-55 bores are a bit loose compared to 375.

"...always endeavour to raise your own standards."
Arfin Greebly

Isn't it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Old April 5, 2015, 06:48 AM   #4
andym79

Well I took the old barrel off not to hard.

I wound the new one on and it lined up well, it if however about a degree off alignment. I am basing this from the extractor grove alingment in the outer ring of the action and the inner ring of the barrel. I tried turning it that extra degree and it seems to want to spring back. The bolt closes fine on a dummy round and the extractor fits the groove and extracts fine.

Should I vise it back up and try and clock it to perfect alignment or should it be fine with a 1 degree misalignment. I don't want to warp the action, the 94 action isn't that robust.

I will add pictures if anyone thinks it will help!

Last edited by andym79; April 5, 2015 at 06:57 AM.
Old April 5, 2015, 10:18 AM   #5
Malamute

I think I'd want it indexed as close to perfect as I could get it. It isnt the end of the world if it isnt perfectly indexed though. The question is if you are happy with it. Older Marlin 1894's in 357 were commonly not indexed correctly, and Smith & Wesson had a period of time when it was common to find guns with the barrels not indexed right. I bought a 629 in the 80's from a shop. The display gun wasnt idnexed right. I asked how many they had. I think it was about 6. They got them out from the back room and we looked, I found ONE that was indexed right and bought it.

Which caliber barrel did you use?

Arfin Greebly

Old April 5, 2015, 05:06 PM   #6
andym79

I used the 30-30 for now, I already have all the dies and brass. I think I will probably buy another 94 in the future for the 38-55 barrel. As much as I wanted the 38-55, I have the big-bore 375 and I reckon a lever man should have a 30-30 in his collection!

So 1 degree short of indexing, do you think I should shot it and see how it goes?

Last edited by andym79; April 5, 2015 at 05:15 PM.
Old April 5, 2015, 11:56 PM   #7
andym79

Some photos so you can see what I mean.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0816.jpg (8.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0817.jpg (7.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0820.jpg (31.4 KB, 13 views)
Old April 16, 2015, 03:51 AM   #8
andym79

I wasn't happy with the alignment, so I clean up the threads a bit and this is what i got on the second screw in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg winbarrel.jpg (47.6 KB, 14 views)
Old April 16, 2015, 01:19 PM   #9
Malamute

Looks better on the extractor cut. How does it line up as far as looking indexed correctly with the receiver?

Arfin Greebly