Quantcast
1898 US Krag - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Rifle Country

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old Yesterday, 09:42 PM   #1
highpower

1898 US Krag

Just picked this up today. I had one in nearly the same condition several years ago, but in a fit of stupidity, I sold it. It has taken me a while to find another, but finally the gun gods smiled on me and I spotted this at a gun show.

Very nice bluing that I would rate at 90% or so and a pretty decent stock. Best part is the bore looks as though it was never fired.

Anyway, here are some pics of it and a few of it's new friends. I just used one of each model to avoid redundancy.

Old Yesterday, 11:08 PM   #2
Hardtarget

You have found a very nice Krag! I don't think I've ever even had a chance to buy one of those.

And...you have a great line of rifles. That's like a family line of grandfathers right through the young cousins.

I wish I could put together a collection like that to leave to my grandson.

Mark
Old Yesterday, 11:35 PM   #3
LAGS

I ran into a gal last year on opening day of Dove Season who said she bought one in a friends Estate sale, and was trying to sell it.
I should find he number and see what she wants for it, and take a look at the condition.
I have never owned a Krag, and it might be something worth picking up.
Old Today, 01:55 AM   #4
Trent
Contributing Member

Krags are awesome. Once you work the bolt, once, you're hooked.

I haven't even fired mine; I just get it out once in a while to oil up, hold, and work that buttery smooth bolt.

They don't build them like that anymore.
Old Today, 01:59 AM   #5
IROCZ

Nice score. They are excellent cast bullet rifles.
Old Today, 01:33 PM   #6
bannockburn

My Krag Model 1898 was a gift to me from a very good friend of my father. It was some old parade/drill rifle that had been chrome plated (he thought probably back in the 1920s by some neighborhood garage that plated car parts), and the stock had also been heavily varnished. The barrel and the action itself were in perfect condition and the wood was actually quite decent with just a few minor dings and dents.

I stripped most of the plating off by soaking it in Hoppes for a couple of weeks and then polished all of the metal before sending it off to be blued. I lightly sanded the wood, just enough to remove what was left of the varnish (but managed to save all of the inspectors marks), stained it, and then sealed it with tung oil. Turned out fairly nice and makes for a great and memorable addition to my collection.

Old Today, 01:59 PM   #7
Bexar

A Krag Carbine length mint bore rifle is my Holy Grail. Growing up one of the men we hunted with had a beautifully sporterized one he hunted with. He paid what would be the equivalent of about $20.00 today and then had one of the premier gun shops in South/central Texas custom it for him. That and the oft seen well done 1903 and (A3s) many of our Dads hunted with is what got me into the gun fascination thing now more of an obsessed addiction than a hobby.

Your collection is absolutely beautiful and I understand having to sell guns you might cherish. I did it both for my college education and later for our Daughter's.

A sincere congratulations on your recent acquisition and thanks for sharing the picks.