Quantcast
Hi Point Carbine - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Rifle Country

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old March 24, 2014, 08:35 PM   #1
WALKERs210

Hi Point Carbine

I have never really concerned a carbine an accurate firearm but boy was I wrong, at least with this Hi-Point. I have owned one once before in 9mm so this time I purchased one in 45ACP. I took it out once before and enjoyed it but being a new gun it was stiff and needed at least 75 - 100 rds to loosen it up. Well after around 50 rds the thing started hitting where ever I aimed it, I have also recently installed a Tru-Glo type sight system and between it and carbine I was hitting 20ga shot shell hulls 7-8 time out of 10 shots at a range of 25 yds. Just wondering if other owners of Carbines view theirs as a "real shooter" or just a go between
Old March 24, 2014, 08:54 PM   #2
kcofohio

I have the 9 & 40, and find them to repeat consistently with lead and jacketed bullets. I don't believe I'd part with them.
The 45 is on my list to get.
Old March 24, 2014, 08:57 PM   #3
newfalguy101

Hi-point carbines have a reputation for ridiculous accuracy and boring reliability.

I haven't really read a whole bunch on many other carbines actually...
Old March 24, 2014, 08:59 PM   #4
WALKERs210

When I took this one out to break it in I used just about every combination of shells I could come up with. Not one single issue, fed just as smooth with a JHP as it did a ball round. Even put a few HP +P shells again no issue at all. Like I stated in first post I never expected it to be as consistently accurate as it was, if I was able to hold steady it would do a whole lot better.
Old March 24, 2014, 09:08 PM   #5
Schwing

There are a lot of devote aficionados... I call them snobs who feel that these guns just can't be accurate, reliable or worth buying simply either because they have the Hi point name on them or even just because they cost less than $300.

Personally, it is the least expensive gun that I own but in my top 3 when it comes to fun shooting. It is amazingly accurate and so underrated that I have to laugh when I hear all of the experts putting them down.
Old March 24, 2014, 10:53 PM   #6
Inebriated

I put a cheapo Leapers red dot on my 9mm (I did put an Aimpoint just for the sake of a picture in the PCC pic thread), and it hits clays at 120 all day. I really like it. I put a scope on it the other day, just so I could take it out and do some actual accuracy testing.
Old March 24, 2014, 11:17 PM   #7
jon_in_wv

I had one and traded it off. I just have a deep love of simple, well designed firearms. The Hipoint was, to me, over complicated for what it was. Takedown for cleaning was just too much of a chore. That being said I'm not sure you ever do really need to clean it! It was boringly reliable, accurate enough, and really tough for such a cheap weapon. I did a lot of reloading around the time I owned it and one day when I was shooting 9mm I touched off a round a it went off like a 357 round. Somehow I had did a run that was way too hot. Unluckily I had loaded up around 1500 rounds and I had no idea what run or how many it was. I packed up all 1500 and went to the range with the HiPoint. I fired two rounds out of every box until I came up with about 300 rounds that were over pressure. Rather than doing it the boring way and go home and pull bullets I decided to just see what kind of hammering that HP could take. I blasted through all 300 rounds and the HP just seemed to laugh at the abuse. Now I wish I would have kept it. I'll probably get another one in the future. While it isn't quite as nice as other 9mm carbines it surely throws lead like the rest of them. The only thing I really wish they would do is make it with a double stack magazine. But then I'm sure it would be an evil black cop killer of death if they did that.

Whenever we argue the 2nd Amendment GIVES us the right to keep and bear arms we have already lost the argument. The 2nd Amendment RECOGNIZES our right to keep and bear arms and restricts the GOVERNMENT from infringing upon it. PERIOD.

End hoplophobia.
Old March 25, 2014, 02:39 AM   #8
Swampman

The more personal testimonials I read about those things, the more I want to get one and stick a suppressor on it. It seems like it'd be an amazingly fun and cheap to shoot combination.
Glad to hear that your .45 version is so accurate.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=742886
Old March 25, 2014, 05:30 AM   #9
Field Tester

How much do they run now adays?
Old March 25, 2014, 05:37 AM   #10
stressed

Was gonna get the 9 but now I'm holding out for the M1 citadel 9mm. I like boring reliability.
Old March 25, 2014, 05:50 AM   #11
Field Tester

NM, I just looked up the price on Gun Watcher
Old March 25, 2014, 05:55 AM   #12
Arobbins

Nc around me is about 270$
Old March 25, 2014, 06:51 AM   #13
HankC

Had one, cheap, accurate and reliable but just way ugly and I sold it. Now I regret and want one back but the price is not cheap anymore! M1 citadel 9mm! I look forward to it! Had the M1-22LR, love that little thing but did not appreciate it does not have a metal ejector and use mag lip to eject, bolt disassembly is a nightmare. Sold it, but 9mm may start with a better design, I hope.
Old March 25, 2014, 07:12 AM   #14
Reloadron
Contributing Member

While I have never owned one I sold dozens of the things made locally here in Ohio. Never had one come back at me for problems and the ones I have shot have been a pleasure and enjoyable to shoot. My brother has one in 9mm and loves the thing. While some do, as mentioned, look down at these guns they are really good little guns especially for the buck. You can obviously get much better and much higher priced carbines but considering cost for those on a budget the Highpoint guns are just fine.

Ron
Old March 25, 2014, 09:55 AM   #15
fallout mike
Contributing Member

The 4595 is surely accurate.
Old March 25, 2014, 10:40 PM   #16
jon_in_wv

Quote:
While I have never owned one I sold dozens of the things made locally here in Ohio. Never had one come back at me for problems and the ones I have shot have been a pleasure and enjoyable to shoot. My brother has one in 9mm and loves the thing. While some do, as mentioned, look down at these guns they are really good little guns especially for the buck. You can obviously get much better and much higher priced carbines but considering cost for those on a budget the Highpoint guns are just fine.

Ron
You reminded me of the fact HiPoints (whatever the company name actually is I forget) customer service is fantastic. I've talked to several people who say you can buy a Carbine is just about any condition and send it back to HiPoint and they will fix it up for you. I dealt with them to get the upgraded stock and they were great.

Whenever we argue the 2nd Amendment GIVES us the right to keep and bear arms we have already lost the argument. The 2nd Amendment RECOGNIZES our right to keep and bear arms and restricts the GOVERNMENT from infringing upon it. PERIOD.

End hoplophobia.
Old March 25, 2014, 11:27 PM   #17
chris in va

Yeah, their repair policy is great. Had to use it four times.

-Aristodemus
Old March 26, 2014, 12:21 AM   #18
rondog

I have two 995's and a 4095. They may not be the prettiest girls at the prom but they sure can dance!
Old March 26, 2014, 12:40 AM   #19
7.62 Nato

Pistol caliber carbines are my latest distraction. As everyone has said the Hipoints are boringly reliable and unbelievably accurate. The are perfect for new shooters. I love that the snobs look down on them and I can see them waiting for it to fail. My main gripe with the Hipoint is the mags. They are the weak link. If you have a failure, that's usually the problem. I think they should have used existing mags instead of designing their own. The 45 carbine mag is so close to the 1911 that you can modify 1911 mags to work in them. The problem is they won't work in the 1911 any more. It would be great to have the carbine and 1911 using the same mags. I don't believe the mags even interchange between their pistols and carbines.

You can lead a liberal to the truth, but you can't make them THINK !
Old March 26, 2014, 03:23 AM   #20
jim243

Quote:
Just wondering if other owners of Carbines view theirs as a "real shooter" or just a go between
Real shooter it is and great, 4095 TS (that's 40 S&W)

Quote:
I don't believe the mags even interchange between their pistols and carbines.
Yes they are, same mag for the 45 pistol and 45 Carbine, same mag for 9 mm pistol and Carbine, same mag for 40 S&W pistol and carbine. Only problem is there are no high capacity mags available.

Jim

Last edited by jim243; March 26, 2014 at 03:36 AM.
Old March 26, 2014, 07:03 AM   #21
Kiln

They are alright but I've seen several worn out firing pin channel reports over on the Hi Point Forums. I'd definitely keep that channel clean and well lubed in hopes of it surviving past 3,500 rounds or so. They are known for being reliable and fun but durability does leave something to be desired. The sad part is that aside from that issue they seem to be pretty sturdy carbines.
Old March 26, 2014, 07:39 AM   #22
meanmrmustard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiln View Post
They are alright but I've seen several worn out firing pin channel reports over on the Hi Point Forums. I'd definitely keep that channel clean and well lubed in hopes of it surviving past 3,500 rounds or so. They are known for being reliable and fun but durability does leave something to be desired. The sad part is that aside from that issue they seem to be pretty sturdy carbines.
Never heard of it. I went and surfed through the HP forums and those using it as a subject of discussion, and found very little if at all about your claim. I'd appreciate a link if you have time.

Mines past 5,000 + rounds. I'd cal it isolated incident. If it had been something prevalent, I would have known prior to buying mine in 2011, and I research my guns thoroughly before buying. That's why I was surprised and perturbed by the failures of the KT Sub2K, hence my purchase of a cheaper and yet more robust HP carbine.
Old March 26, 2014, 07:46 AM   #23
ole farmerbuck
Contributing Member

I just got the 45acp to go with my 9mm and 40 s&w. I shot one mag through it Sunday. Have to scope it like the others.
Old March 26, 2014, 08:05 AM   #24
Kiln

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanmrmustard View Post
Never heard of it. I went and surfed through the HP forums and those using it as a subject of discussion, and found very little if at all about your claim. I'd appreciate a link if you have time.

Mines past 5,000 + rounds. I'd cal it isolated incident. If it had been something prevalent, I would have known prior to buying mine in 2011, and I research my guns thoroughly before buying. That's why I was surprised and perturbed by the failures of the KT Sub2K, hence my purchase of a cheaper and yet more robust HP carbine.
No problem, it is a pretty common occurance and happens randomly after a few thousand rounds with both the pistols and carbines. A few users are even reporting this problem on guns with <500 rounds. I'd take down your gun and check out the FP channel. This is the only reason I haven't bought a HP carbine. Basically if you actually fire it, you're going to have this happen at some point and failure reports of this nature are not incredibly uncommon.

http://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com...rn-out-283383/

http://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com...-slide-283662/

http://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com...iction-307020/

http://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com...d-post-294717/
Old March 26, 2014, 09:57 AM   #25
fallout mike
Contributing Member

Jim243, there are 15 rd mags available now for the 995ts and the 4595. Not sure about the 4095.