Quantcast
It might finally be time for a CZ 527... - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Rifle Country

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old October 29, 2015, 10:02 PM   #1
adcoch1

It might finally be time for a CZ 527...

I have been wanting a 7.62x39 bolt gun forever, and a CZ for longer, so I think I have myself talked into it. Any opinions? I have never heard even one bad thing about this rifle and that makes me want it all the more!
Old October 29, 2015, 10:16 PM   #2
ROAshooter

CZs are quality guns...have four....CZ527FS..223.......CZ Carbine....223....CZ 452FS..22....CZ 452 Varmint..22.....the CZ 527 in 7.62x39....has a stellar reputation...the single set triggers will spoil you...

I wanted a CZ Carbine in 7.63x39....but could not find one....so I went 223..and have NO regrets...add the fact that the CZ 527 is rated for both 223 and 5.56....
Old October 29, 2015, 10:19 PM   #3
bikemutt
Contributing Member

Mine is a great shooter. And it's just plain fun to shoot. It does better for me with better quality ammo, like Hornady 123 gr SST, but even with bloc stuff it does better than any AK I've owned.

That said, the extractor was binding when I first got it, sent back to CZ at their expense, fixed in a week.

IMO it's a $600 rifle that costs $600.
There are no "good guns". There are no "bad guns". Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a decent person is no threat to anybody except bad people. - Charlton Heston 1997
Old October 30, 2015, 01:31 AM   #4
adcoch1

Thanks Bikemutt, that's the kind of stuff I am looking for. A perfect rifle is awesome, but hearing good things about service is good too. I went through a mess with a well known fal builder that didn't properly install a barrel on a new rifle. Took forever to get fixed and it still doesn't work quite right... but cz is known for quality and its good to hear they handle the occasional problem well too.
Old October 30, 2015, 02:32 AM   #5
200Apples

Absolutely love mine in X 39:

With a Rhodesian sling from Andy's Leather:

"[The .44 Magnum] is an extremely accurate cartridge, and some of the groups I shot during testing will remain unpublished because I get tired of being called a liar." - Evan P. Marshall, American Handgunner, July/Aug 1979
Old October 30, 2015, 06:15 AM   #6
dh1633pm

Love the my CZ. I have two the Carbine in 7.62x39 and the Varmint in .204. Very well built.
Old October 30, 2015, 06:44 AM   #7
bannockburn

Was thinking about getting another AK (since I bought so much 7.62x39 ammo years ago), but I really like the looks of the CZ 527. Mighty tempting.
Old October 30, 2015, 07:58 AM   #8
Corn-Picker

Hit up the search feature, the cz 527 in 7.62x39 is one of the more popular rifles on this board -- you'll find hundreds (maybe thousands) of opinionated posts. I have the cz 527 youth carbine in 7.62x39. It fulfills my desire for an extremely small and lightweight deer-capable rifle for the woods of WV. It's plenty accurate for 150 yards, which is the farthest I want to shoot a deer with the 7.62x39.
Old October 30, 2015, 09:08 AM   #9
GAF

Buds gun shop has at least one in stock.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...arrel+%26+Waln

I have had one for 8 years. Great gun!
Old October 30, 2015, 09:26 AM   #10
MIL-DOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROAshooter View Post
I wanted a CZ Carbine in 7.63x39....but could not find one....so I went 223..and have NO regrets...add the fact that the CZ 527 is rated for both 223 and 5.56....
Exactly, same here. I was on the fence over which one to go with, but Buds didn;t have any x39's in stock, so I went .223 and have no regrets. In fact, I wouldn't switch it out now if I could.
Another plus for the .223 version is that eventually the cheap x39 ammo is going to dry up. Also, the common, steel-cased x39 ammo uses bi-metal projectiles, which cause considerably more wear than copper jacketed ammo.
(and yes, I'm aware that there is domestically produced x39 ammo, and probably copper jacketed, too. But it's less common, and much more expensive.)
Another thing, the newer version of this rifle use a faster 1:9 twist (IIRC), as opposed to the older ones with a 1:12 twist, so you can use the nicer, heavier hunting rounds in .223.
Given the flatter trajectory and availability of domestically produced, high-quality .223 ammo, in various weights, I think the .223 is the better option.
Old October 30, 2015, 09:51 AM   #11
onelastshot

I have it in 223, It's a wonderful rifle, great fit, easy to shoot and accurate and a good looking firearm.

Last edited by onelastshot; October 30, 2015 at 11:35 AM.
Old October 30, 2015, 11:33 AM   #12
chris in va

I have two carbines...the 'twins'.

My x39 is an earlier model and has seen a ton of use. It survived many purges when I needed to consolidate my collection. It hasn't been without trials and tribulations but a testiment to how fun the thing is.

My newest is a 1:9" 5.56 carbine. Shoots like a laser and will reach out a lot further than the x39.

If you get one, be sure to adjust the trigger properly. You'll be amazed how tuneable it is.

Word of note, don't be put off by the stiff action. It's very grabby and balky for the first couple hundred. The metals need to be acquainted with each other.
Old October 30, 2015, 02:00 PM   #13
bpshooter13

My CZ 527 7.62x39 also went back to the factory. Right out of the box the bolt would not close with any of the three factory brands of Ammo I tried. They fixed it in a week. It now works fine but feeds brass cased ammo much more smoothly as one might expect. I invested in 100 Lapua cases from Midway and a Lee 2 cavity bullet mold and now shoot for pennies a round with reclaimed range scrap lead. What a well balanced little mini mauser. Love the set trigger, it will spoil you.
Old October 30, 2015, 02:38 PM   #14
Reloadron
Contributing Member

Well if a 7.62x39 bolt action rifle is what will trip your trigger you sure won't regret the CZ rifle.

Ron
Old October 30, 2015, 02:39 PM   #15
I6turbo

I've had three 527s, all in .223. I sold the Carbine because I much preferred to shoot the other two. Nothing wrong with the Carbine, it feels great in hand, but I just prefer to shoot the others. The FS is among my favorite rifles I've ever owned or shot.

Old October 30, 2015, 04:29 PM   #16
adcoch1

Quote:
Originally Posted by I6turbo View Post
I've had three 527s, all in .223. I sold the Carbine because I much preferred to shoot the other two. Nothing wrong with the Carbine, it feels great in hand, but I just prefer to shoot the others. The FS is among my favorite rifles I've ever owned or shot.

Ahh that mannlicher style stock makes me drool. If I could get that in 7.62x39 I would be happier than just about anything.
Old October 30, 2015, 10:16 PM   #17
viking499

Turbo, what did you use to refinish the American?
Old October 30, 2015, 10:48 PM   #18
highlander 5

I have 2 527s in 7.62x39 and ran into problems 1 I had to replace the firing pin springs with heavier springs due to inconsistent ignition with various types of ammo. 2 If you reload you're going have to play with case sizing to get reliable ignition. Other than these above problems they rifle is a blast to shoot with either jacketed or cast bullets.
Old October 31, 2015, 12:39 AM   #19
adcoch1

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlander 5 View Post
I have 2 527s in 7.62x39 and ran into problems 1 I had to replace the firing pin springs with heavier springs due to inconsistent ignition with various types of ammo. 2 If you reload you're going have to play with case sizing to get reliable ignition. Other than these above problems they rifle is a blast to shoot with either jacketed or cast bullets.
Did those springs come from CZ? Just want to get all the info possible before I purchase one. I am still trying to talk the wife into it... but she did say I should probably stock up on some more ammo before I buy another gun
Hehehehe
Old October 31, 2015, 10:54 AM   #20
DavesNotHere!

I don't have a 527 yet, but will likely get one in 223 soon. I do have a CZ Style .22LR that is a tack driver with Federal Automatch and a CZ550 in 270 Win that is also very accurate with the right load. (It still has <100rds through it so could it be breaking in still?)

I'm very new to this, just got my first AR, first center fire rifles in the last few years in fact, so I'm looking up the learning curve still. That said, I'd pick something other than 7.62x39 for a bolt gun because of available ammo quality. The rounds I've picked up for my VZ2008 have varied quite a bit. Maybe a reloader can get more consistency, but the cheap bulk ammo I've found I wouldn't use to put meat on the table. Great fun blasting away at the range though!

I don't think you can go wrong with CZ, not too far wrong anyway. Of the 12 I have or had, none have had problems (6 handguns, 6 rifles). I haven't kept them all, just the ones that suit me best. CZ is great value for the $.
Old October 31, 2015, 12:40 PM   #21
highlander 5

Got the springs from J&P Custom $14 each I think. The one thing that you'll like about the CZ is the bolt is very easy to assemble and disassemble no tools needed. You can also get a different bolt handle if you wish to put a scope on it. J&P also have a nice set of hex head replacement action screws.
Old October 31, 2015, 12:48 PM   #22
dh1633pm

I reload for my CZ. I have two, one in 7.62x39 (Carbine) and one in 204 Ruger (Varmint) Never a problem. I use Winchester brass. I have had mine for a while. I purchased 250 Winchester empties a while ago and never an issue. None, nada, zilch. Never shot a surplus round through the thing. All reloads or factory ammo. They are shooters with an excellent trigger.
Old October 31, 2015, 01:33 PM   #23
johnnydollar

I have the 7.62 x 39 carbine. The action was balky out of the box, but it has loosened with use and now functions fine. The 527 is a lightweight, quick handling gun, with low recoil and a wonderful set trigger. I would get one as quick as possible because they don't last long on the market and CZ doesn't seem to make enough for the demand they have created.
Old October 31, 2015, 05:10 PM   #24
Col. Plink

Don't worry, (buy one and) be happy!

I have one in 7.62x39: my favorite firearm in the collection, for what it's worth...

I love CZ's: 52, 527, VZ-24, 75B, 82, 97...
Old October 31, 2015, 08:29 PM   #25
bluzman

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelastshot View Post
I have it in 223, It's a wonderful rifle, great fit, easy to shoot and accurate and a good looking firearm.
As the owner of my own .223 CZ 527, I totally agree.