Quantcast
Last stand - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Rifle Country

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old Yesterday, 01:25 PM   #1
suprane

Last stand

This will be my last call for help in choosing a compact rifle.

Here are the choices for rifle: M77 compact 16.5 or Micro Midas 20"

Here are the choices for caliber: 243 or 7mm-08

Hunting WT deer and varmints 200 yds and under, very occasional shot over. Lots of brush and trees.
Old Yesterday, 01:40 PM   #2
Stony

I don't shoot a compact like you are considering, but I do shoot a stainless 77 in 7/08 a lot on hogs and deer. It shoots a really good group and I have killed a lot of hogs with it. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another if I needed it.
Old Yesterday, 01:49 PM   #3
eastbank

7mm08 for me and i like a 20" barrel, ruger,browning or remington would do as would a lot of other makers. my own 7mm08 is a factory 700 left hand youth rifle with a leupold 2.5x8. not to heavy and not to light. eastbank.
Old Yesterday, 01:52 PM   #4
eastbank

pic,s of my 7mm08. eastbank.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 5122.jpg (194.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 5121.jpg (175.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 5123.jpg (182.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 5124.jpg (176.3 KB, 2 views)
Old Yesterday, 02:05 PM   #5
js8588

M77 in 243.

1942 Izzy Mosin Nagant
1936 Hex Receiver Tula Mosin Nagant
Vepr 7.62x54r
Rossi 45 Colt/410 Circuit Judge
Tula SKS
VZ 24
VZ 22/98
Super Vepr 308
Beretta PX4 Storm 9mm Subcompact
Ruger LC9
Winchester M70 Alaskan Stainless Laminate 300 Win Mag
Zastava M70 270 Winchester
CZ 452 Training Rifle 17hmr
Vepr 12
Old Yesterday, 02:12 PM   #6
MrBorland

For a hunting rifle, I have a strong preference for a 3-position safety. Of the choices, then, I'd go for the Ruger. In 7mm-08.

To keep it light and handy, maybe consider an EOTech sight instead of a scope.
Old Yesterday, 03:12 PM   #7
suprane

Great input.
Eastbank two comments. 1-you're one the guys in your "right" mind here and that's a fine set up, thank you.
MrBorland, so you'd take the Mauser safety over the ease of the tang safety? Hmmm.
Js8588 I hear you, you always get opposing views, " it's crap, need aftermarket trigger""it's fantastic"" It's okay..." and so forth, hard to figure out without actually hands on.
Most are picking7mm-08, my only experience was brief. In 2001 owned a M1A Springfield in that caliber ( was going to collect all three, 243, 7mm-08, 308 job change interrupted that notion, sold the rifle, wish I hadn't..) In that springfield no recoil to speak of, not sure in 16.5" barrel. I currently shoot a 270, feel recoil but doesn't affect me unless at range and do 40+rounds off bench. But at game, never feel it, so 7mm-08 shouldn't be a problem right?
Old Yesterday, 03:34 PM   #8
MrBorland

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprane
MrBorland, so you'd take the Mauser safety over the ease of the tang safety? Hmmm.
I never found a tang safety to be easier, myself. The tang safety on my Tikka CTR is the one thing I don't like about it (well, I'm not crazy about the über-expensive mags, either). It's not currently used as a hunting rifle, so its safety's not a biggie, but I do find it a bit stubborn to engage & disengage when I try. I find a 3-position safety much easier to manipulate.

Also, it's a personal thing, but loading and unloading a hunting rifle by completely disengaging the safety weirds me out. And the first-hand AD stories (note the plural) I've heard haven't done anything to re-assure me on the matter.
Old Yesterday, 04:19 PM   #9
critter

Love my Ruger compact in .308. Light, handy, accurate, 3-position safety.
Old Yesterday, 05:04 PM   #10
Panfisher

Duplicated post.
Old Yesterday, 05:08 PM   #11
Panfisher

Much as I love my rem 7 in 7-08, my wife has a stainless synthetic skeleton stock compact in .243 Win. It is a pure killing machine. Good quality bullets will kill deer clean and with plenty of oomph. And since you threw in varmints a hot hp load will turn coyotes into dead ones easily, or if you like to keep it simple a 85 grain or so GMX and never switch ammo. I like the little ruger and honestly with your choices I don't see how you could go wrong. Handle them and listen, one will speak your name, take that one home and never look back.
Old Yesterday, 05:10 PM   #12
Bobson

Ruger in 7-08. Excellent choice.
"As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD." - Joshua 24:15

It is fine to be a man of few words, but considerably less desirable to be a man of few thoughts.
Old Yesterday, 06:14 PM   #13
suprane

MrBorland, good point. Panfisher I hear you. I hit a nice size WT dead on 165 yds away he flipped straight up and over, fell down, got up and ran off. No blood at all ( figured bullet never exited being a dead on shot in the chest ) I searched all day. That's when I put up the 243 and went to a 270 next one down and quivering on first chest/heart shot. Now want to shed the extra 3 pound weight, reduce some recoil and beat this one a bit more. Am leaning towards 7mm-08 to meet 1st and third desires and call the recoil a wash on 7mm-08 in lighter rifle vs 270 in heavier rifle. The M77 is looking better and better. have one scouted for $649.00 delivered to hand. My Sauer 200 .270 should fetch me around $1,200.00 so more money for scope and ammo. Thanks everybody. Pleasure to be here.
Old Yesterday, 09:41 PM   #14
cat_IT_guy

M77 in 7mm-08 if it were me. Sounds like a phenomenal walking around rifle.