Quantcast
Holosun red dot on my colt AR. did I do good or screw up? - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Rifle Country

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old June 21, 2016, 12:11 PM   #1
newmenu

Holosun red dot on my colt AR. did I do good or screw up?

Just ordered a Holosun 503C for my Colt LE6920. Wanted the Vortex AR but it was either out of stock or too high a price, got the Holosun 503C for 179 shipped and am very happy about that deal but will I have buyers remorse?

What I'm asking is, do these chinese made red dots hold up in the long run, are they tough? Assuming I dont get a lemon, will it stand the test of time and use?

NRA member/TSRA member
Old June 21, 2016, 12:15 PM   #2
Jackal

They seem to hold up pretty well. There's a vid of a Primary Arms ARD (same basic sight, with Primary Arms branding) sight being frozen in a block of ice, hammered out and it still worked.
Old June 21, 2016, 04:39 PM   #3
cologuy

I don't have experience with them, but the reviews of Holosun products are generally good. And I believe there's at least one THR member who replaced their recalled EOTECH (there's a thread here somewhere) with a Holosun and liked it, although I haven't heard any more about it. I think you need to do a review for us when you get yours, then we'll all know for sure.
Old June 21, 2016, 05:38 PM   #4
aubie515

It always cracks me up when people spend top dollar on firearms and buy crap ammo or optics.

There is a reason why product A cost under $200 and product B cost over $600.
Old June 21, 2016, 05:41 PM   #5
otrman

Quote:
And sometimes you are just paying for the name on it and not much else,
Old June 21, 2016, 07:12 PM   #6
carbine85

HTML Code:
It always cracks me up when people spend top dollar on firearms and buy crap ammo or optics.

And sometimes item B is over priced because the market is willing to pay it.

I have the Primary Arms version and love it. It's a really nice compact sight. For the average shooter and range gun it's hard to beat.
I like my Aimpoint more but I would expect a lot more from it.

"That's the good thing as a President, I can do whatever I want"
Barack Obama - Americas 1st Dictator
"I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians."
George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights)
Old June 22, 2016, 06:38 AM   #7
hemiram

The Holosun red dots seem to work very well and have few problems. A friend of mine has had a couple of them since they first appeared, and they look pretty sad now from wear and tear on the outside (He and his kid are pretty rough on AR and AK guns), but they still work great. I see no reason to pay hundreds more for a "famous brand" red dot. I have a Vortex Strikefire Red/Green dot on my AR and a Target Sports red dot on my Colt .22 AR look alike, and they seem to be working and holding up well. The only negatives to both of them versus the high priced ones seems to be battery life. The Target Sports one survived a drop down the stairs at a friend's house when we took it off to wash some mud and stuff off the gun and we didn't want to get it soaking wet, but I dropped it and other than a small ding and some scratches in the anodizing, it didn't seem to mind the fall.