Quantcast
Colt Working to Bring New DA Revolver(s) to Market - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Handguns: Revolvers

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old May 8, 2014, 12:03 PM   #1
Cincinnatus

Colt Working to Bring New DA Revolver(s) to Market

I know that it seems that this rumor gets spread around the internet once or twice a year, but this time the information comes from a reputable source.

Well known gun writer and revolver-smith Grant Cunningham stated on the most recent episode of the Gun Nation Podcast (Episode 98) that during his time at the NRA convention in Indianapolis he had a conversation at the Colt booth with a personal contact who works in production operations. He went on to say that, although he could not say many details yet, there is work currently being undertaken at Colt to bring one or more double action revolver to market.

He was quick to assure us that it absolutely WOULD NOT be the Python (no surprise to me) but could be something along the lines of the Magnum Carry, King Cobra, or Anaconda. He also said that there probably won't be any kind of announcement about the project anytime soon (I got the feeling it could be at least a year or two). Being a huge fan of revolvers, particularly those form Colt, I find this to be very exciting news.

If you want to hear the comments for yourself, go to gunnation.us, find episode 98 of the podcast, and listen starting around 51 minutes or so to get to that particular topic.

Thoughts?

Oh and by the way, hello everyone
Old May 8, 2014, 12:11 PM   #2
ATLDave

I'd love to see them bring back the detective special.
Old May 8, 2014, 12:16 PM   #3
Sam1911

Hi and welcome!

You might be interested in this recent thread: King Cobra ... Who Will Buy One?

"...with liberty and justice for all." (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states.)
-D. Stanhope

Sights Practical Shooters -- IDPA

My Knife Showroom
Old May 8, 2014, 12:22 PM   #4
22-rimfire

Colt will wait until the concealed carry market for revolvers is saturated (It probably already is.) and then introduce a suitable revolver... about typical for Colt since the 1950's.

If they bring something out, I'll take a look at it.
Old May 8, 2014, 12:23 PM   #5
DPris

Look again in 2015 or 2016.
All I can say on it.
Denis
Old May 8, 2014, 01:55 PM   #6
Analogkid

Id certainly look at a a pocket .38 if they bring it back out..

Last edited by Analogkid; May 8, 2014 at 02:17 PM.
Old May 8, 2014, 02:52 PM   #7
CraigC
Contributing Member

I'll give `em a shot if it looks good but I ain't holdin' my breath.

"Wise men learn by others’ harms; fools by their own." - Benjamin Franklin

http://www.sixgunleather.com
Old May 8, 2014, 05:00 PM   #8
BSA1

Yawn...

Colt abandon the civilian handgun market many years ago save the Government Model & SAA.

The market is well covered by other companies products. Revolvers are very well covered by S&W and Taurus.

The old action which makes Colts revolvers so nice is cost prohibitive to make due to labor costs. This means a redesigned gun intended for what market?

Sorry but you need more than somebody at Colt said this and it is a secret.

Oh and you are still welcome to THR.
Old May 8, 2014, 05:09 PM   #9
Vodoun da Vinci

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLDave View Post
I'd love to see them bring back the detective special.
Roger that...a new Detective Special especially in stainless? I'd be all over that.

VooDoo
Beretta Px4 9mm subcompact, Glock 26 Gen4, Dan Wesson 15-2VH .357 Magnum, Ruger LCR .38 Special +P, Colt 1903 Model M .32ACP, Ruger 3 screw Blackhawk .357 Magnum, Ruger Bearcat .22, S&W Model 19 .357 Magnum, Colt Officers ACP .45, Glock 42
Old May 8, 2014, 05:20 PM   #10
Dframe

Not holding my breath. This rumor goes around at least once a year. When of IF Colt ever makes a DA revolver again (ESPECIALLY a Detective size) I'll be all over it. But I figure I have LOTS of time to save up my money!
Old May 8, 2014, 05:27 PM   #11
aarondhgraham

My question would be,,,

My question would be,,,

Why?

As in why do they think they can re-enter the revolver market?

Aarond

Old May 8, 2014, 05:32 PM   #12
AFDavis11

Can someone enlighten me? The only Colt revolver I would consider is a Python. Why is it the one gun they wouldn't re-introduce?
Old May 8, 2014, 05:33 PM   #13
Deaf Smith

Quote:
Colt Working to Bring New DA Revolver(s) to Market
Bring back the MAGNUM CARRY!!!

With red insert front sight, 2 inch barrel, six shooter, no 'trigger lock'.

See few pack Pythons or King Cobras, but for CCW, snub revolvers are still very much used.

And yep, even with all my snubbies, I promises you I'll get one!

Deaf
Old May 8, 2014, 05:41 PM   #14
Hometeached1

Quote:
Bring back the MAGNUM CARRY!!!
^^^^ This.
Welcome to THR Cincinnatus!

"I rather be shot in the foot with a .50BMG than a .22 short to the base of the skull." Unknown.

Machinist, keeping the world running.
Old May 8, 2014, 05:42 PM   #15
RustyShackelford

Old news....

The "will Colt make new DA revolvers soon" posts were discussed a few weeks ago.
I think Colt making & marketing new DA revolvers in the USA in the next 5 years or so is about as likely as Kate Upton knocking on my door in a string bikini.

It's nice to think it could happen. But will it happen anytime soon?

no

Andre Agassi
Old May 8, 2014, 10:00 PM   #16
DPris

Expect something in 2015, possibly 2016 if things take a little longer than planned.
It will not be any revolver with the older V-Spring actions, for reasons discussed ad nauseum here & elsewhere.

This is not just an Internet rumor.
Denis
Old May 8, 2014, 10:10 PM   #17
Jim K

But will it happen anytime soon?

Sure, sometime after the Second Coming.

Jim
Old May 8, 2014, 10:23 PM   #18
DPris

See above.
Believe or don't.
Grant has a good relationship with Colt & he's not the only one who talks to them about such things.
Denis
Old May 8, 2014, 10:28 PM   #19
HexHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vodoun da Vinci View Post
Roger that...a new Detective Special especially in stainless? I'd be all over that.

VooDoo
Why not just go buy one with the classic action then? I've got two of them, but mine are blued.

"And a bayonet Sir! With some guts behind it!" (CS Bourne)
Old May 8, 2014, 10:30 PM   #20
HexHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFDavis11 View Post
Can someone enlighten me? The only Colt revolver I would consider is a Python. Why is it the one gun they wouldn't re-introduce?
Because it wouldn't be a Python. If you want one so bad, go buy one. There are plenty out there.

"And a bayonet Sir! With some guts behind it!" (CS Bourne)
Old May 8, 2014, 10:45 PM   #21
Jim K

So it is a matter of faith and belief? I don't think I will hold my breath.

Jim
Old May 8, 2014, 10:52 PM   #22
DPris

If you can't take a strong hint, then let it ride & keep an eye on the headlines next year.
Denis
Old May 8, 2014, 10:58 PM   #23
22-rimfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by HexHead View Post
Because it wouldn't be a Python. If you want one so bad, go buy one. There are plenty out there.
The Mark III and Mark IV action is pretty darn good. I would put my Trooper Mark III against any Python I have owned in terms of accuracy and function. That doesn't make it a Python, it just makes it a much better revolver than what was commonly believed back in the 1980's.

AFDavis, if you have never shot a Trooper Mark III or King Cobra (anything in that frame size), you might check one out. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

DPris, I will be watching for the headlines. I can't hold my breath that long, but I would love to see Colt come out with a DA revolver. If nothing else, it most likely means they can continue to work on their older products.
Old May 8, 2014, 11:24 PM   #24
benzy2

Quote:
If you can't take a strong hint, then let it ride & keep an eye on the headlines next year.
Denis
Nothing personal, but short of a press release from Colt stating they are coming, it's just the same internet rumor from a guy with simply a first name. You have zero credibility as a semi-annonomous poster on an open forum. Short of listing your full name as well as your significance as a decision maker with Colt, your word is as believable as the people that post they heard it will happen in 2115. I'm not trying to be insulting to you personally, simply that a guy named Denis posting on an Internet forum is as reliable as a guy posting he knows the world will end tomorrow, or that I can sell you the secrets to becoming a Millionaire for $49.99.
Old May 8, 2014, 11:52 PM   #25
DPris

Benzy,
Yep, if you don't know who I am, you have no need to pay any attention to anything I say.
Enough on this one.

Wait & see.
Denis