Quantcast
kBob Carbine Update - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Rifle Country

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old April 19, 2016, 04:05 PM   #1
kBob

kBob Carbine Update

I had posted last year or the year before about an original Inland recievered M-1 Carbine I was having trouble getting the op slide off of.

Given that I can remove the bolt by derailing the op rod handle and examine the gas tappet without removing the op rod I have decided to not worry about it and just never take it off. I will instead work around the darn thing.

It has a ratty type IV trigger mech which I am not at all sure is right for that receiver and at least one pin, the hammer pin, looks "commercial". It has a single rivet style upper handguard (that a single rivet on each side) and an M2 stock. The upper handguard there fore over hangs the M2 stock a bit. I am considering an after market preferated steel handguard I have in the junk box, just to stop feeling that over hang.

I really think this thing is a parts mix master, but it goes bang and feeds itself despite a huge amount of magazine wiggle.

Yesterdays pictures while I had it out doing PM turned out to dark and or fuzzy to share and it is ugly anyway.

Anyway I just thought I would report in in case anyone was interested.

-kBob
Old April 20, 2016, 12:08 AM   #2
ontarget

From the sounds of it most if not all GI M1 carbines are mix masters. Still, I would love to have one. Every time I handle one it makes me want to go gun shopping.
Old April 21, 2016, 11:58 PM   #3
Captain O

Keep on keeping on kBob. I want to hear how well this works out.
Old April 22, 2016, 11:02 PM   #4
CoalTrain49

Here is a video of the disassembly. Slide comes off at about 2.52 minutes into the video.

https://youtu.be/G3PRrOBLNoY

The slide and bolt removal is the trickiest part. The bolt should be stripped and all parts replaced if you have never done that. Those parts wear out pretty fast, especially the ejector and extractor. That's where most of the problems start.

Last edited by CoalTrain49; April 22, 2016 at 11:07 PM.
Old April 23, 2016, 12:16 PM   #5
kBob

Coal train,

Thanks for the video.

I got my first M-1 Carbine in 1968. It was actually a loaner from the local PD which had gotten a bunch from the feds to arm their auxillery which at that time did not have police standards to worry about. They had disassembled them to wash in a parts washer and found that owing to a commercial gun being in the mix they could not get them back together. So naturally they ask a teenaged son of one of the auxillerymen to assemble 15 working guns from the pile in exchange for him getting one of the guns.

The loan lasted until 1982, BTW. New Police Chief had a hissy when records were checked. He refused to sell it to me at the price the Auxilerymen were allowed to purchase their guns or any price. Dad still has his Winchester and I have made it plain to Sisters and Brother in law and boyfriend that any attempt to take it upon Dad's death would be an error as it is MINE!

In working with this problem gun I tend to work with another I have no problem with right next to it. I suspect the current project may have been forced together with a peened surface either on the barrel or one of the tits on the interior of the Op Slide. I fear that forcing it off, with say a pry bar, might further damage it. As it works and I can clean around it I currently intend to (oh please stop me!) let it go, let it go and just shoot it some more.

I can get the bolt out, without removing the op slide, though getting it back in is an experience. I have not shot it for accuracy, only function. You can not tell much from shooting into a gravel filled 6 gallon plastic food storage bucket from three yards about accuracy..... though I did hit the bucket EVERY time!

T'other Carbine pictured below.

-kBob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg M-1carsafe.jpg (125.9 KB, 13 views)
Old April 24, 2016, 11:03 PM   #6
CoalTrain49

Yes, I've seen the bolt removed without removing the slide. It took the gunsmith about 10 minutes to get it back in. I could have field stripped it and put it back together in 3 minutes.

I field strip mine from time to time just so I remember how to do it.

Hope you get it worked out.