Quantcast
Does the Rem 740 have the same issues as the 742? - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Rifle Country

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old Today, 01:31 PM   #1
Col. Plink

Does the Rem 740 have the same issues as the 742?

A friend is asking; I don't know about 740's but know 742's wear themselves into junk.

Thanks in advance!
Old Today, 01:50 PM   #2
Abel

I have read on numerous boards that Remington took steps to improve the jam o matic tendencies exhibited in the 742. I know of hunters who use the 740 with no issues. But I'd still rather carry a Browning Automatic Rifle.
Old Today, 02:07 PM   #3
bainter1212

The 740 preceeded the 742 and most of them have the issue with the soft metal receiver and the five lug bolt. Eventually the bolt lugs dig grooves into the receiver and the bolt locks back on every shot.
My grandfather's 740 has the gouges but still cycles fine....eventually it will have the issue, there is no way to fix it. But for now I shoot it seldom and load to Garand pressure levels to reduce wear.

Any of the 740s or 742s with the updated three lug bolt head won't have the issue.
Old Today, 02:09 PM   #4
bainter1212

Oh and they also have a tendency to have rough/rust prone chambers, resulting in stuck cases. This is easily fixed with a good chamber polishing.

If you want my opinion? Don't pay money for one unless you witness it cycling and shooting accurately. If you are being given one for free? Go for it. Most of them are "minute of deer lung" and can put food on the table if needed. But not known as tack drivers.

Last edited by bainter1212; Today at 02:17 PM.
Old Today, 03:39 PM   #5
jmr40

Each generation has improved somewhat. I've owned a 742 years ago. Can't think of a single reason I'd buy one over a bolt rifle. Most can be fairly reliable if fed factory loads or well made reloads within a very narrow range of pressures. And if kept very clean.

But the reality is that for "AIMED" repeat shots the difference in speed is insignificant. A semi is faster for laying down suppression fire, or in very light recoiling rifles. But not significantly faster if hunting and actually trying to hit something.

For that tiny bit of speed you get a rifle that is much heavier, less reliable, has a poor trigger that cannot be improved, at best average accuracy, and they cost more. They won't function with many hotter loads that will work just fine in any other action type.
Old Today, 04:00 PM   #6
Abel

Quote:
The 740 preceeded the 742

I'm thinking of the 750.