Quantcast
Thoughts on a British .303 Enfield - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Rifle Country

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old February 26, 2016, 08:52 PM   #1
loose noose

Thoughts on a British .303 Enfield

Recently encountered a very clean British Enfield, in fact it is too clean, believe it was made around 1950, the bore is very sharp with no pitting etc. in the lands and grooves, the muzzle looks like it has been crowned very professionally. The stock and metal increments are very clean no visible rust or dings. The elderly man told me he is a collector and decided to get rid of some of his collection that he very rarely shoots any more. It is a No.4 MK2 (F), with the brass butt plate with the trap door hole for the cleaning rod (note I didn't check to see if it had cleaning rod). The stock on the right side has the number 65 inscribed on it. He is asking $230.00 with 2 boxes of Sellier & Bellot 150 grain rounds.

I have no idea of the British .303 Enfield, other than I've been told they are inherently inaccurate, and they won't shoot a .308 caliber bullet worth a darn. I do cast bullets up to .311, but have never done anything beyond cast for .310 for a 30-30 I used in CAS shooting.

Any info on the value, or desirability of this firearm would be greatly appreciated. Note I didn't see any English markings on the rifle, but I wasn't really looking for any markings other than I described. Thanks in advance for any info.
Old February 26, 2016, 09:08 PM   #2
justin22885

.311 bullets should work fine for it, i like the enfields action, im just not fond of the .303 caliber for the same reasons i dislike 7.62x54R
Old February 26, 2016, 09:30 PM   #3
HisStigness

Does it have the full military stock or has it been sporterized? If it is super clean it might be possible that it was reblued. Pictures would be a lot of help. For $230 I'd probably take a chance on it. If it turns out to not be worth much, at least you own the fastest bolt action ever made and probably a pretty good shooter too.

All we know is he's called the Stig.
Old February 26, 2016, 09:46 PM   #4
Steel Horse Rider

I would jump all over it. If it has not been "sporterized" it is an even better deal. I have 5 Enfields that were purchased in various states of completeness but they all shoot very nicely. Reloading is easy and you DO NOT use .308 bullets. The recoil is not bad and the action is very easy to work. I enjoy mine and would quickly buy another one if I could find more in decent condition just because.......
Old February 26, 2016, 09:55 PM   #5
Curator

The No.4Mk2 Lee Enfield was the last of the line and very well made. Few saw any kind of hard use and most have really good, tight bores and headspace, making them excellent shooters. This model has the trigger hung from the rear action "socket" instead of off the trigger guard for a more consistent trigger pull. If it has the original wood, you are getting it for about half of what they usually sell for.The Sellier & Bellot ammo is OK for shooting as long as you don't epect to reload the cases
Old February 26, 2016, 09:56 PM   #6
Robert

For that price I'd grab it. Though there never was a cleaning rod that I know of, just the trap door for the pull through. 303 is a great round, easy to shoot and pretty accurate, but if you are loading from chargers, strippers, make sure the cases are properly staggered or you'll get rim lock.

Superior gear will never make up for a lack of training or attitude.

When your time comes to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home.- Chief Tecumseh
Old February 26, 2016, 10:08 PM   #7
loose noose

It is a full stocked military type rifle, definitely not sporterized. I do wonder what the 65 on the right side of the stock is for. Reckon I'll get a hold of the gentleman tomorrow and make the purchase, he doesn't live that far from me. Once I've got it I'll post some pictures.

Thanks for all the replies, guess I'm going to have to cast some .311 bullets for it. BTW what is wrong with the Sellier & Bellot brass?
Old February 26, 2016, 10:19 PM   #8
DeepSouth

For what it's worth I have one that will easily put 5 shots in a single hole (that can be covered by a Nickel) at 100 yards shooting Remington core-lokt. I do understand those results are not typical.
My dad bought it for $30 years ago in a pawn shop, he gave it to me and couldn't believe how it shot after I scoped it. He did cut the stock off (barrel end) a little ways back, but it is the original stock.
Old February 26, 2016, 10:26 PM   #9
Sovblocgunfan

Buy the rifle! That's a good deal and you should be into an outstanding shooter.

Many years ago you could find these in the wrap-some of them never used.
Old February 26, 2016, 10:43 PM   #10
rcmodel
Contributing Member

IMO: For $230?

The ammo is $30+ a box.

And you can strip it for parts and sell most of them on eBay for $500 if it turns out to be a bad one.

rc

Time has finally taken over, and we can't fight getting older! 'Kid Rock'
Old February 26, 2016, 11:06 PM   #11
Radagast
Contributing Member

An unmolested No.4 MK II will go for $1000 US over here. A lot of the 1950s guns were never issued, sold off as surplus 50 years later, still in the grease. It's quite possible the only rounds through that gun were fired by the current owner.

I would buy it.
Old February 26, 2016, 11:08 PM   #12
Radagast
Contributing Member

Info on serial ranges:
http://www.enfield-rifles.com/irish-...topic5620.html
Old February 27, 2016, 06:11 AM   #13
lysanderxiii

Back in the mid to late 1980s many brand new unfired surplus No. 4, Mk2 rifles were imported. This is probably one of them.

They are not "inherently inaccurate", like any military rifle, some are better than others, and some are very accurate right out of the box.
Old February 27, 2016, 06:36 AM   #14
GBExpat

Location: Rural, far beyond the beltway, Northern Virginia, USA
Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it!

Quote:
... I have no idea of the British .303 Enfield, other than I've been told they are inherently inaccurate, ...
Whoever told you that is ignorant, stupid or a liar.

Quote:
... and they won't shoot a .308 caliber bullet worth a darn. ...
Yeah, dang it, my 8mm Mauser has that same problem.

That sounds like a great deal.

Quote:
... I do wonder what the 65 on the right side of the stock is for. ...
If it is painted on, especially, it is probably just a Rack Number.
Old February 27, 2016, 06:40 AM   #15
bang_bang

I bought mine not too long ago for $175. The previous owner refinished the stock and didn't do a bad job of it either. Nice and smooth, very clean looking with the faded metal to contrast I think. I found some ammo online for about $15/box new for FMJ and SP and bought about 6 boxes. Got a few boxes of military ball from a friend for $20 a box of 48. I scrubbed the bore and removed a ton of fouling, pretty deep rifling was hiding underneath. It's still one of the most popular reloading calibers in the US and there is plenty of information and supplies to do so. I would jump all over it for $230.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (114.1 KB, 91 views)
Old February 27, 2016, 09:57 AM   #16
Candyman87

Any enfield under $250 in decent shape I'd buy. Sounds like you got yourself a pretty good deal.

I picked mine up for $125 or so a while back. Sporterized. Missing the flip up rear sight. A couple bucks and I had a good shooter for under $200. The guy gave me a good deal because he could only find $40/box Federal ammo that was "too expensive to shoot"

At the end of the day you can get PPU ammo for $17-18 a box. Not too bad if you ask me and good brass for reloading.
Old February 27, 2016, 10:14 AM   #17
tark

If you haven't bought it yet....quick....tell me where it is so I can! Sounds like a great deal. RC, I don't know where you get $30 a box for ammo! In the Gander Mountain near me they Have Remington 180 Gr Factory ammo for 19.95 a box. PPU for even less.

Loose noose, you don't have to cast anything for that rifle, .311 dia jacked bullets are readily available in the proper weight range. The cartridge is easy to load with common rifle powders. Last #4 Mk 1 I owned would put surplus ammo into a couple of inches at 100. The #4s are generally more accurate than the #1 Mk3s because of better sights and a longer sighting radius.

GRAB THAT GUN!
Old February 27, 2016, 10:33 AM   #18
DPris

If unaltered military form, buy the thing!
Mine will do 2 inches at 100 yards with factory ammunition.
As far as I'm concerned, that model is the apex of the Enfield series & well worth that price.
Denis
Old February 27, 2016, 02:58 PM   #19
loose noose

Well I went down there this morning, and bought the rifle for $230.00 along with the 2 boxes of Sellier & Bellot ammo. Took it home and cleaned it up a bit before I took it out and shot it. (one box of the described ammo). Shot it off hand, has a really decent trigger pull once I got used to it, at 50 yards. Nothing to brag about had a 3"X4" group right about where I was aiming, with 10 rounds. Note they spread out but I do believe it was me. Next time I'll take the bench, and see how they perform. Plan on reloading for it as soon as I get the dies and the bullets. Below are several of the pictures that turned out.

I don't know what is going on here but I have a "security token" preventing me from exhibiting the photos here I'll try at a different time and see what the problem is. The rifle is fairly heavy and the recoil is very light, probably just the commercial ammo and 150 grain bullet. I do like the rifle though.

Last edited by loose noose; February 27, 2016 at 04:28 PM.
Old February 27, 2016, 04:17 PM   #20
loose noose

I'll try it again, BTW the serial numbers on the bolt and the receiver match also.

DSCN1460.jpg

DSCN1459.jpg

DSCN1457.jpg

DSCN1456.jpg
Old February 27, 2016, 04:22 PM   #21
jim in Anchorage

I had no idea they were still making .303 Enfields in 1950. Did the English run out of new ideas?
Old February 27, 2016, 04:38 PM   #22
mcduck

Many of the No 4 Mk II's imported were in near new condition. The practical accuracy is generally very good. They are not benchrest guns, but I doubt you would miss a shot in the field due to the gun.
Old February 27, 2016, 04:40 PM   #23
loose noose

Here is the other photo showing the number on the right side of the stock #65.

I too was unaware of the date of the last of the .303 British Enfields, I thought everybody made semi-autos at least back then.

DSCN1458.jpg
Old February 27, 2016, 04:57 PM   #24
DPris

Mine's a 1955.
Near mint when I got it.
Denis
Old February 27, 2016, 06:46 PM   #25
Ignition Override

Very good example and excellent price, especially with a matching bolt.

With the excellent aperture sight (unknown on most milsurp rifles), smooth bolt and recoil much less than my former Yugo Mauser, buy it before one of his friends/family members offers him more!

People who say inherently Inaccurate (what range?) could be confusing the #4s with some of the #5 "Jungle Carbines", although my #5s' groups are about as tight as with the #4s from 100 yards. All five bores are in identical, good condition.

Last edited by Ignition Override; February 27, 2016 at 08:07 PM.