Quantcast
Xtreme Brass - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Ammunition, Gear, and Firearm Help > Handloading and Reloading

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old December 15, 2014, 11:34 PM   #1
cswpsi

Xtreme Brass

Been hanging out here for some time, learning quite a bit. Been reloading 9mm, 40s&w, 45acp for about two years using primarily Starline brass and have been very pleased. However, I've been wondering if the Xtreme Brass, that they (Xtreme) have been pushing lately, is any good.

Has anyone tried Xtreme brass yet? Does anyone know who actually manufactures there new brass?

I wouldn't be asking if I had found a thread on this topic, but my searches have turned up nothing.
Old December 16, 2014, 02:11 AM   #2
Toprudder

I don't know what headstamp is associated with Xtreme (or Freedom Munitions).

I saw where they had a sale on 9mm brass. I would stay away from it unless I know the headstamp. I got a bunch of reman 9mm ammo from Freedom Munitions that were "Ammoload" headstamps. Stay away from them, I had problems with them.
Old December 16, 2014, 09:34 AM   #3
Potatohead
Contributing Member

Does Xtreme make the brass? Is it factory new? Or are they just cleaning up someone elses?
Old December 16, 2014, 09:44 AM   #4
cswpsi

Good advice, Toprudder. I plan on sticking with Starline for the foreseeable future.

I am really more curious to know who makes their (Xtreme) brass. Do they or is it some other mfg like Rem, Win or Starline ... I can't recall, at the moment, what headstamp is on "new" ammo from Freedom. I do have some and I'll inspect them tonight.

One thing for sure, I will never buy OFB from Freedom or most any other reseller. (I can't imagine the stuff they receive in their Brass Credit Program.) Today, ALL of my OFB is 100% Starline that I bought and fired myself.
Old December 16, 2014, 09:46 AM   #5
cswpsi

Potatohead, that's precisely what I'm trying to find out.
Old December 16, 2014, 11:47 AM   #6
Gadawg88

As far as I can tell, they don't sell "new" brass. Based on the information on their website it is reprocessed, previously fired brass that they gather from various sources. I have never ordered their brass, but I do use lots of their bullets. I assume the brass would be a mix of different headstamps, but I don't know that for a fact. They could probably tell you if you give them a call:775-246-3941.
Old December 16, 2014, 11:59 AM   #7
Jim Watson

They do catalog new brass separately from "reprocessed" brass. I doubt they have case drawing machinery and are getting the new cases on contract. Maybe from Starline, maybe from A-MERC.
Old December 16, 2014, 12:35 PM   #8
cswpsi

As I've said, I'm quite happy with Starline, but IF Xtreme is reselling New Starline brass (that, perhaps, they're buying at bulk prices), then the saving could be significant.

Xtreme is selling New 9mm brass $119.00 / 1000 (Deal of the Day $107.00 / 1000)
http://www.xtremebullets.com/9mm-NEW...b9upn-1000.htm

Starline is $130.50 / 1000
https://www.starlinebrass.com/brass-cases/9MM-Brass/

Last edited by cswpsi; December 16, 2014 at 01:22 PM.
Old December 16, 2014, 02:18 PM   #9
g.willikers

Thinking back to all the range pickup brass that I've used over the years, without problems, if they are selling once fired brass, it's probably just fine.
They are a reputable company and no doubt want to keep their good name intact.
Only one way to find out, though.
Old December 16, 2014, 08:52 PM   #10
cswpsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.willikers View Post
Thinking back to all the range pickup brass that I've used over the years, without problems, if they are selling once fired brass, it's probably just fine.
They are a reputable company and no doubt want to keep their good name intact.
Only one way to find out, though.
I get that. I agree, they are a good company. I've bought a whole lot of their bullets and ammo. Still, I just feel too new at reloading to be 100% confident I wouldn't miss a bad case along the way.
Old December 16, 2014, 09:07 PM   #11
Toprudder

Freedom Munitions does manufacture new brass. I saw a video a couple years ago showing their machinery producing pistol brass. I just checked their website and don't see that video now.
Old December 16, 2014, 09:40 PM   #12
Gadawg88

You don't really need to buy new brass in 9mm. Range pick-ups and used "once fired" brass will do just fine. It can be reloaded many many times. When I got started a couple of years ago, I bought new Starline brass in 45acp, 9mm, 38sp and 357 mag. Most of it is still sitting in the boxes on my shelves. I reserve it for when I work up a new load or for "premium HD" ammo. The savings is very substantial. For instance, see the following thread, post #24. Mixed headstamp 9mm brass for $40/1000. 1/3 cost of new and you will more likely lose it before you wear it out. I am not endorsing this particular offer as I don't know anything about the source. Just using as an example. I have seen it elsewhere for $30/1000.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=767707
Old December 18, 2014, 01:07 PM   #13
stompah

$130 for their reprocessed .45. Ouch.

9mm & .40 are so common and cheap locally that its tough for me to consider paying for new brass.
Old December 18, 2014, 01:12 PM   #14
jwalts27

Its not often I find a bad case from the range, if it is its usually a magnum revovler case that is split so bad it sticks out. I sorted through a 20 lb bag last weekend and found 1 bad case. My buddy has a Rossi lever action in 454 Casull. Almost every damn case splits.
Old Yesterday, 10:09 PM   #15
cswpsi

Thanks everyone, for your input. After reading through your post, I may have to reconsider ofb other than my own. But it will be a while before I ware out what I have.
Old Yesterday, 11:56 PM   #16
Potatohead
Contributing Member

Quote:
I have seen it elsewhere for $30/1000.
Agree with your post. Though it sure is fun using nice shiny Starline sometimes. On the cost subject, I rec'd an email from a place I regularly buy (oncefiredbrass.com) and they had a special, 19.99 for 1000, FREE DELIVERY! I believe it was because I hadnt bought in awhile...trying to get me back in the habit of using them probably.