Quantcast
9mm die help? - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Ammunition, Gear, and Firearm Help > Handloading and Reloading

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old May 22, 2016, 12:58 PM   #1
ohihunter2014

9mm die help?

just set up my lee 9mm dies per directions.

size die touches and 1/4 turn out and flare doe touches and 1 turn out.

it decaps with very little felt resistance and the flare die I don't feel anything at all. it doesn't appear to be flared at all however there is a slight ring around the cases.

check with calipers and no real change.

wanted to size all of them today then load later this week.
Old May 22, 2016, 01:13 PM   #2
2bfree

Just turn your powder through die down till you get the flare you want.
Old May 22, 2016, 01:22 PM   #3
ohihunter2014

how does one know how much flare I need?

I'm thinking it would be better to have some bullets on hand first?
Old May 22, 2016, 01:33 PM   #4
2bfree

Flare just enough so the bullet will sit on top of the case. Yes, you really need a bullet to set the die.
Old May 22, 2016, 01:40 PM   #5
Shaq

The flare is right when you're able to insert the BASE of the bullet into the case. I use a bit more for cast bullets to clear that ring of bullet lube.
Old May 22, 2016, 01:54 PM   #6
kerreckt

Use the least amount of flare that works. Your brass will last longer.
Old May 22, 2016, 02:03 PM   #7
Walkalong

You want your sizer down as far as it can go while actually sizing a case and still not touch the shell holder or plate. This will take press flex into account.

You want just enough flare to start a bullet easily and no more. Excessive flaring can hurt neck tension. And sometimes even have trouble going up into the seater.

Forget the 1/4 turn, 1/3 turn, 1/2 turn stuff. It's a rough guesstimate.

"Oh bother" said Pooh, as he chambered another round. Author unknown.
Old May 22, 2016, 02:30 PM   #8
9mmepiphany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkalong
Forget the 1/4 turn, 1/3 turn, 1/2 turn stuff. It's a rough guesstimate.
Yup, those are just manufacturer's guidelines to get you started.

You do need bullets on hand to determine how much flare you'll need...and you'll likely have to readjust whenever you change bullets.

I add enough flare so that my bullets will sit in the case mouth by themselves (without my having to hold them there)...prevents pinching fingers on the Seating die

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohihunter2014
and flare doe touches and 1 turn out
If you mean:
1. Expanding die
2. "touches" meaning touching the case mouth
3. "turn out" meaning backing the die off (turning counter clockwise; away from the shellholder)

...you're turning it the wrong way

Correct Grip
DA Trigger Management
How to Dryfire and Hit Stuff

Forum Rules
Old May 22, 2016, 04:33 PM   #9
Reloadron
Contributing Member

Give this old THR thread a read, commonly called belling the case mouth. Keep in mind what has been stressed in this thread as well as my linked thread. All you want to do is open the case mouth so a bullet sits nicely on it and can be seated. Note in the linked thread that some members choose not to mess with belling at all. Keep in mind that with 9mm you will likely use a taper crimp and all you will be doing is removing the belling you just performed to seat the bullet nicely and evenly. Thus, you do not want to overdo this step.

Ron
Old May 22, 2016, 04:39 PM   #10
Brian425

Coated cast bullets require more flare than plated or jacketed.......one more tidbit

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
Old May 24, 2016, 08:56 AM   #11
Fatelvis

Or you could use this as your belling step, and it adds a "pocket" to the mouth of the case, to help you squarely align the bullet when setting it in the neck. It helps avoid starting your bullet in crooked.

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...oducts_id=1606
Old May 24, 2016, 12:24 PM   #12
Walkalong

Quote:
(.356) 356PC Exp. Plug
38 Cal. expander plug .352" x .356" To use with Lee Universal Neck Expanding Die Turns it in to a true neck expander like a Lyman M-die.
Almost all of my expanders are now the Lyman M Die "style". These are great replacements for the Lee expander plugs.

"Oh bother" said Pooh, as he chambered another round. Author unknown.
Old May 24, 2016, 03:35 PM   #13
mdi

Set your case upright on your bench. Set a bullet on the case mouth. Will the base of the bullet enter the case mouth mebbe 1/16 of an inch? If not, screw the powder through die a bit more. Don't worry now about case life shortened by over flaring, get good shootable ammo now and worry about case life later. 9mm brass is plentiful and cheap. With minimal flare, how many more reloads will you get out of a case? Probably not enough to notice...
Old May 24, 2016, 05:50 PM   #14
gwpercle

Those directions , as are most directions with anything now days, are woefully lacking.
They get you set up then you have to fine tune the adjustments.
Go to www.chuckhawks.com . Click on guns & shooting main site, then click on reloading information, scroll down to general reloading information and scroll down to How To Adjust Reloading dies. Print it out and keep it.
Actually there are many helpful articles for the beginner and long time reloader on that site, I have printed and saved several of them. Lots of good complete info !
Gary
Old May 24, 2016, 07:33 PM   #15
rcmodel
Contributing Member

I prefer to flair just enough I can hand start the bullet in the charged case and pick it up out of the loading block to seat it without the case falling off and spilling powder in the other cases in the loading block.

My experience with Lee expander dies is, the belling portion of the powder through die is VERY abrupt, (almost 90 degree) and very difficult to fine tune for perfect belling.

rc

Time has finally taken over, and we can't fight getting older! 'Kid Rock'
Old May 24, 2016, 07:33 PM   #16
Rule3

How difficult are these instructions to follow?

http://leeprecision.com/cgi-data/instruct/Pistol4.pdf
Old May 26, 2016, 03:10 PM   #17
Sky King

Next question will be, "Why am I getting bulges on one side of the case."
SOP on 9mm's
Old May 26, 2016, 03:47 PM   #18
Reloadron
Contributing Member

Question: why am I getting slight bulges on my cases and they won't chamber?

Sorry, just had to ask.

Ron
Old May 26, 2016, 06:36 PM   #19
higgite

My next question is "Why are you backing the sizing die out 1/4 turn?"