Quantcast
How do vibratory brass cleaners work? - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Ammunition, Gear, and Firearm Help > Handloading and Reloading

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old March 29, 2015, 11:49 AM   #1
gunnels

How do vibratory brass cleaners work?

I have vibratory brass cleaner which I have been very pleased with.. It is Cabelas store brand but I think it is made by Berry's.

Lately it is wobbling more than vibrating. I assume it has some kind of counterbalance on it that needs adjusting or tightening. When I took the bottom it I can see a weight that is attached to the shaft from the motor to bowl. It rotates freely and doesn't appear to be adjustable.

Has anyone else experienced this and were you able to fix it?
Beretta Cougar 8045F, 8040D, and 8000D
Old March 29, 2015, 12:02 PM   #2
VThillman

I know nuttin. I'll just observe that when my (Frankford) is coasting down, it wobbles. So... maybe your unit isn't getting up to speed?
Old March 29, 2015, 12:29 PM   #3
egd

I don't mean this as a hijack of your thread, but the name is just what I was thinking to start a new thread with. I just bought my first one and don't know the best way to use it. Do I put the media in first, then brass, or some media, brass, then more media on top, or brass first, then cover with media? Or does it matter at all? Thanks
Old March 29, 2015, 12:31 PM   #4
Da Yooper

I have a Lyman 600 & a week or so ago I posted it had lost its nuts & was not vibrating like it should.

Took the bottom plate off & the threaded stem that runs through the springs that the bowl sits on the nuts that hold the stem in place had worked loose & were now gone. I replaced the nuts & added lock washers tightened everything down using locktite. All is good.

just my .02.
Old March 29, 2015, 12:32 PM   #5
GarySTL

I just dump brass in on top of the media. It'll distribute everything just fine when you switch it on.
Old March 29, 2015, 12:35 PM   #6
egd

Thanks Gary.

OOH, lost its nuts...Boy, I bet that hurt.
Old March 29, 2015, 12:37 PM   #7
Poper

Quote:
I don't mean this as a hijack of your thread, but the name is just what I was thinking to start a new thread with. I just bought my first one and don't know the best way to use it. Do I put the media in first, then brass, or some media, brass, then more media on top, or brass first, then cover with media? Or does it matter at all? Thanks
Fill approx. 1/2 with media, toss your brass in, instal cover and switch on.

You may want to observe the action of the media and brass the first few times you use it. If you overload it with brass, the media action will be slow and the brass will not get cleaned without extensive time in the bowl.

Enjoy.
The NRA is a service organization for all firearms owners and users, and for anyone more concerned with Second Amendment rights than in spouting nonsense about them. It's available to everyone and can't possibly be considered an elitist or exclusive group except by the malicious, the ignorant, or the dimwitted. - Robert Hairless

"The only good bureaucrat is one with a pistol at his head. Put it in his hand and it's good-bye to the Bill of Rights."
-- H.L. Mencken

...mercy to the guilty is cruelty to the innocent...
--Adam Smith
Old March 29, 2015, 12:56 PM   #8
hanno
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by egd View Post
Put media in bowl. Add one capful of Nu-Finish and some mineral spirits (small amount) to the media and run for a half hour to mix in. Then put your brass and a used dryer sheet in the bowl and tumble away.

You can put your tumbler on a timer but if you forget it and let it run for 24 hours or so, you will find out how shiny your brass can get.
Old March 29, 2015, 01:37 PM   #9
rcmodel
Contributing Member

Your tumbler will work better if you fill it 2/3 full of media, before adding cases.

After cases are added, it should raise the level to within an inch of the top.

rc
Old March 29, 2015, 01:38 PM   #10
egd

Thanks for answering my question. But I really don't want to hijack the op thread. Can anyone else also answer his question.
Old March 29, 2015, 01:38 PM   #11
frogfurr

If too much brass is put in the tumbler will not vibrate like it should.
Old March 29, 2015, 01:46 PM   #12
hanno
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by egd View Post
Thanks for answering my question. But I really don't want to hijack the op thread. Can anyone else also answer his question.
Da Yooper gave a good answer. That would have been my first guess.
Old March 29, 2015, 10:15 PM   #13
2011redrider

OP,. have the same model. Can take mine apart and see if the same weight runs loose. Had mine 2 years with no problems, and it has been used quite a bit. Believe the motor has 3 yrs warranty and lifetime on the plastic. Just sent an email to berry's re my top lid is cracking from the center bolt hole going towards the outer edge.

Took mine apart and you can see the counterweight attached to the fan shaft. Mine is secured with a set screw that you can see in the second picture. Did you loose the set screw? Hope this helps.

Last edited by 2011redrider; Yesterday at 03:04 PM. Reason: pictures added
Old Yesterday, 09:17 PM   #14
HankC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011redrider View Post
OP,. have the same model. Can take mine apart and see if the same weight runs loose. Had mine 2 years with no problems, and it has been used quite a bit. Believe the motor has 3 yrs warranty and lifetime on the plastic. Just sent an email to berry's re my top lid is cracking from the center bolt hole going towards the outer edge.

Took mine apart and you can see the counterweight attached to the fan shaft. Mine is secured with a set screw that you can see in the second picture. Did you loose the set screw? Hope this helps.

How simple this device is and they sell for $60-100+!