Quantcast
Just got Quickload - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Ammunition, Gear, and Firearm Help > Handloading and Reloading

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old May 19, 2015, 09:28 PM   #1
balderclev

Just got Quickload

Looking forward to checking all my loads.
Old May 19, 2015, 09:39 PM   #2
Redstate

What is it? (What is a quick load I mean)

I will search the internet...
Old May 19, 2015, 09:43 PM   #3
JO JO

reloading software that you can buy not sure of the cost
Old May 19, 2015, 09:44 PM   #4
Redstate

Oh... Software
Old May 20, 2015, 01:44 AM   #5
GJSchulze

It costs about $150. It's a great app that calculates velocity, pressure, power factor, recoil numbers, etc. It has data about hundreds of powders, bullets, cases, and guns. It will do calculations particular to your gun and reloads so that you can see the results of changing one parameter. You can use it to find alternative powders that give you the same results as the one you like, but can't find.
Old May 20, 2015, 08:40 AM   #6
bush3755

If you want Quickload to give meaningful results, it's important to measure your bullet's diameter and your barrel's groove and bore diameters and the rifling land width to calculate the bore's cross sectional area; they're inputs to QL. For example, the 308 Winchester's SAAMI specs allow bullet diameters from .306" to .309", bore diameters from .300" to .302" and groove diameters from .308" to .310". While 30 caliber bullets and bores are typically somewhere between their diameter limits. Barrel groove diameters are sometimes as small as .306 and bores as small as .298". SAAMI spec cross sectional area minimum is .0736 square inch but some barrels are less. If your particular barrel and bullet dimensions are not accurately plugged into Quickload's software, then resultant pressure calculations can be off quite a bit from what they really are.

I think Quickload's a good way to compare load recipe A to B for a given cartridge, it's not an exact number for your rifle. For example, it uses the mildest primer suitable for the recipe entered; it may not be the primer you use. But it's an excellent tool to learn how different components and barrel parameters effect pressure and velocity based on average powder characteristics for the powder type used.

Download the demo program from Quickload's web site, try it to see how it works using the input data you select. Pay close attention to the startup screen explaining the software limitations. Here's a good review:

http://www.6mmbr.com/quickload.html

Last edited by bush3755; May 20, 2015 at 06:01 PM.
Old May 21, 2015, 09:56 AM   #7
bluetopper

For several years I've been expecting the cost of Quickload to go down or for someone else to market a similar product........none has occurred.

Would very much like to have it but I'm a cheapskate.

Last edited by bluetopper; May 23, 2015 at 12:48 AM.
Old May 22, 2015, 09:50 PM   #8
Romeo 33 Delta

I didn't have it for years ... thought it was just too expensive.

Finally bought it a couple of years ago and my only gripe is ...

I SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT IT LONG, LONG BEFORE I FINALLY DID!

If you're really into reloading, especially Wildcatting and extremely obsolete calibers ... you really shouldn't be without it.

And ... NO, I'm not getting any kickback for this endorsement.
Old May 23, 2015, 02:12 AM   #9
BBDartCA

You can't have a Handloading Geek Badge unless you have Quickload. It's an indicator you've gone over the deep end.
Old May 23, 2015, 11:18 AM   #10
rsrocket1

It's also good in these powder shortage days to use it to see if an available powder is acceptable for use in your application. Certainly not for peak performance or max load use, but just to see if the powder has any chance at all of working with the cartridge you are interested in.
Old May 23, 2015, 05:45 PM   #11
Rule3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBDartCA View Post
You can't have a Handloading Geek Badge unless you have Quickload. It's an indicator you've gone over the deep end.
Now that there is funny!

You will also gain a lot of new "friends"
Old May 23, 2015, 07:06 PM   #12
balderclev

A steep learning curve. I can see that I will learn a lot just by what I will have to know to use it.
Old May 23, 2015, 09:50 PM   #13
rsrocket1

Easy, start with known loads you already have data for.

If you don't have your own chrony data, look up load data on websites and see if they match or are close to Quickload results, then start changing seat depth, powder charge, powder type, barrel length, bullet type (one at a time of course) and see how the MV and Pmax are affected. You can use the propellant table setup to see what the acceptable powders would be or the incremental load table to see what a virtual "work up" would look like.