Quantcast
Butt-stock extension - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Rifle Country

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old August 10, 2014, 10:07 PM   #1
CajunMan89

Butt-stock extension

Does anyone know if there is such a thing as an extension for a butt-stock? I was told that my Mossberg Trek was a youth model, and that the short length of the stock could cause the scope to hit me in the eye. So I thought if something could be added to the stock, it might be more comfortable.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Old August 10, 2014, 11:09 PM   #2
Redlg155

the easiest solution would be a packmayer or limbsaver slip on recoil pad, usually available at your local wallyworld. Many youth models also come with spacers to allow for growth of the shooter, so it might be worth a call to Mossberg to see if they offer any.
Old August 11, 2014, 04:20 AM   #3
Tactical Lever

It would be more likely lack of eye relief in the scope that would cause it to "scope" you.

You said you were "told" this, but when you bought the gun did you find it comfortable and easy to shoot?

Myself I find the shorter length of pull stocks fit me a little better, and I would rather have one a little short than a little long. Especially factoring in recoil, and heavy clothes.
Old August 11, 2014, 08:44 AM   #4
CajunMan89

I find it comfortable, as far as holding it to shoot. However, I do not have a suitable place to test fire it here to see how it does. I'll have to go out of town to a range to test it.
Old August 11, 2014, 11:59 AM   #5
Smokey Joe

The "kiss of the 'scope"...

Cajun Man 89--As one who has BTDT (I have a permanent lump of scar tissue in my right eyebrow, I have DT so often...) I can say that getting yourself "scoped" consists in 3 things:

1. The LOP of the stock--If it's too short, your head gets closer to the 'scope than you want. Stock extensions have been discussed above.

2. The adjustment of the 'scope in its mount--You want it as far forward as is mechanically possible, consistent with being able to clearly see through the 'scope and use the cross-hairs.

3. A vicious tendency to "creep" your head forward on the stock of a rifle, which if you have it you just have to learn not to do. (I've been trying to learn this for a half-century now; no luck.)

If the LOP is comfortable for you to shoot (You'll just have to put in some range time on this!) and you can't/don't want to lengthen the stock, then the solution is in #'s 2 and 3, above. You have been "told" that yr Mossy was a Youth Model--Does this make it true?? And does this make it not fit you well?? The "stock solution" for this is additional spacers between recoil pad and stock, a slip-on extra recoil pad, or, most extremely, a new stock for the firearm. Replacement stocks are available for almost any firearm you could name--My go-to for a new stock is Boyd's Stocks, www.boydsgunstocks.com but there are other sources as well.

Bottom line: You've got some work to do, to find out theexact nature and extent of the problem, and the best solution for YOU. Good luck and please keep us posted. With pix. We all like pix!

Smokey Joe
Old August 12, 2014, 08:20 PM   #6
CajunMan89

Pic.

Here is a picture. I hope to shoot it for the first time Thursday!

Old August 12, 2014, 09:31 PM   #7
ford8nr

Doesn't look unreasonably short. Just adjust and watch your eye relief.
Old August 14, 2014, 03:37 PM   #8
CajunMan89

So far, I have a paperweight!

I went to shoot it for the first time, and it won't chamber even one bullet! The bolt opens and closes just fine until I load, then the bolt won't lock shut.

I brought it back to the place I purchased it from, and he'll get his gunsmith to work on it. He thinks it may just be dirty, but I cleaned it from top to bottom, so I know that isn't the issue.

Hopefully they can fix it. If not, I'll get my money back.
Old August 14, 2014, 07:46 PM   #9
MachIVshooter

Quote:
I went to shoot it for the first time, and it won't chamber even one bullet! The bolt opens and closes just fine until I load, then the bolt won't lock shut.
Not trying to insinuate anything, but are you certain you bought the right ammunition? You didn't mention chambering, but there are many rounds out there with the same nominal denotation of caliber, yet are very different cartridges. For example, .300 Savage, .300 Blackout, .300 Win Mag, .300 WSM, .300 SAUM, .300 RCM, .300 Weatherby Mag,. .300 RUM-all very different rounds, not at all interchangeable.

Also, cases that exceed the length of the chamber or bullets seated too far out will cause that condition. Usually only an issue with hand loaded rounds, but can happen with factory stuff.
Old August 15, 2014, 08:29 AM   #10
CajunMan89

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachIVshooter View Post
Not trying to insinuate anything, but are you certain you bought the right ammunition? You didn't mention chambering, but there are many rounds out there with the same nominal denotation of caliber, yet are very different cartridges. For example, .300 Savage, .300 Blackout, .300 Win Mag, .300 WSM, .300 SAUM, .300 RCM, .300 Weatherby Mag,. .300 RUM-all very different rounds, not at all interchangeable.

Also, cases that exceed the length of the chamber or bullets seated too far out will cause that condition. Usually only an issue with hand loaded rounds, but can happen with factory stuff.
I purchased what the owner of the shop recommended, so we'll see if he sold me the wrong ammo or not. I hope he calls me within a few days.
Old August 15, 2014, 09:05 AM   #11
greyling22

the caliber should be stamped on the barrel of your gun. (ex: .270win .308win, 30-06 etc) The box of ammo should be stamped the same thing, but my suspicion is that the shop owner, for whatever reason, grabbed the wrong caliber box of shells.
Old August 15, 2014, 09:36 AM   #12
CajunMan89

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyling22 View Post
the caliber should be stamped on the barrel of your gun. (ex: .270win .308win, 30-06 etc) The box of ammo should be stamped the same thing, but my suspicion is that the shop owner, for whatever reason, grabbed the wrong caliber box of shells.
The box of ammo as well as the stamp on the gun barrel is .243 WIN. He tried a different brand of ammo as well and it was doing the same thing.
Old August 15, 2014, 10:18 AM   #13
MEHavey

Stock Length Test:

Rest the butt in the crook of your elbow (not your shoulder) and see if
the trigger matches up with the first joint of your trigger finger.

If not, the difference between where the trigger does hit and the first
joint is the amount of stock extension needed. If req'd, I recommend THIS.
(I just had to put on on a LoneStar rolling block)

Last edited by MEHavey; August 15, 2014 at 12:02 PM.
Old August 16, 2014, 03:54 PM   #14
MachIVshooter

Quote:
The box of ammo as well as the stamp on the gun barrel is .243 WIN. He tried a different brand of ammo as well and it was doing the same thing.
Sounds like it may truly be a defective rifle, but do be aware that there is the .243 Winchester and the .243 Winchester Super Short Magnum (WSSM). The former cartridge will fit in the latter chamber, but is longer, so would prevent the bolt from fully closing.

I only mention this because you'd be amazed the number of people who have showed up at ranges with a box of ammunition that nominally matches their rifle's chambering but is a completely different cartrdige. I've even heard them insist that it was right. It was for exactly this reason that Remington reverted back to .280 Rem. nomenclature after a short time of having both 7mm Remington Express and 7mm Remington Magnum labels on rifles and boxes of ammunition.
Old August 16, 2014, 06:33 PM   #15
CajunMan89

Fixed, but at a price....

I mentioned that I brought it back to the owner, thinking that he'd make good on my purchase. I picked it up yesterday and it shoots just fine now. He charged me $76 to clean it, when I had already cleaned it from top to bottom. Not sure what he did differently that my Otis kit and I couldn't do.

I assumed he would have made good on my purchase and not charge me anything, but I guess that's what I get for assuming....

Anyway, the positive side in all this is that I now have my first deer rifle that functions/shoots very nicely (No eye contact with the scope )and is very accurate now that I zeroed in the scope!
Old August 18, 2014, 12:41 AM   #16
Tactical Lever

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunMan89 View Post
I mentioned that I brought it back to the owner, thinking that he'd make good on my purchase. I picked it up yesterday and it shoots just fine now. He charged me $76 to clean it, when I had already cleaned it from top to bottom. Not sure what he did differently that my Otis kit and I couldn't do.

I assumed he would have made good on my purchase and not charge me anything, but I guess that's what I get for assuming....

Anyway, the positive side in all this is that I now have my first deer rifle that functions/shoots very nicely (No eye contact with the scope )and is very accurate now that I zeroed in the scope!
Sounds like a shifty place to do business with; but I guess you know who to avoid next time. Never heard of a gun chamber being too dirty to chamber a cartridge in either. A little weird; I would not be surprised if the mixed up a couple of bolts.

Is it an actual gun shop, that carries multiple rifles of the same type?
Old August 18, 2014, 09:45 PM   #17
CajunMan89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Lever View Post
Sounds like a shifty place to do business with; but I guess you know who to avoid next time. Never heard of a gun chamber being too dirty to chamber a cartridge in either. A little weird; I would not be surprised if the mixed up a couple of bolts.

Is it an actual gun shop, that carries multiple rifles of the same type?
It's a sporting goods store. They sale used as well as new firearms, ammo, camping supplies, etc. I can post a link to their Facebook page if you're interested.

I believe that he changed a part on the gun and lied, stating that all it needed was a cleaning and the bore to be polished. But after looking at the bolt, I can't tell a difference, unless he changed the part next to the firing pin....or the front piece of the bolt.

I proudly removed the window logo of his business that I placed on my truck, when I got back home. He won't get another penny out of me or free advertisement!

Last edited by CajunMan89; August 18, 2014 at 11:03 PM.
Old August 19, 2014, 03:22 AM   #18
MachIVshooter

Quote:
I believe that he changed a part on the gun and lied, stating that all it needed was a cleaning and the bore to be polished. But after looking at the bolt, I can't tell a difference, unless he changed the part next to the firing pin....or the front piece of the bolt.
Some chain stores separate the bolts from the firearms. It is not too far fetched to think that they put the wrong bolt in the box. .243 being a short action gun, they may have given you the bolt for the same model in .223 or something. May fit the rifle, but certainly won't go over the cartridge rim.
Old August 19, 2014, 08:40 AM   #19
CajunMan89

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachIVshooter View Post
Some chain stores separate the bolts from the firearms. It is not too far fetched to think that they put the wrong bolt in the box. .243 being a short action gun, they may have given you the bolt for the same model in .223 or something. May fit the rifle, but certainly won't go over the cartridge rim.
The gun was used....the bolt was already in the gun, not in a box.
Old August 19, 2014, 10:29 PM   #20
henschman

Good to hear you like the rifle. We all have to start somewhere... most of us have had our share of smoke blown up our rears when we were new to guns. You just have to learn from it and move on. If you keep an eye on gunbroker and eBay, you can probably find a full-size stock for your rifle. The key is that you need to make the rifle fit you, instead of trying to take some contorted shooting position (like scrunching your head back on the stock to avoid contact with the scope) to try to make yourself fit it. My advice is to set your rifle up so that when you get in the position you are most likely to shoot it from and stretch your neck all the way forward as far as it will go, you should have perfect eye relief. You should also have good cheek weld... your cheek bone should be resting on the stock so that your neck muscles are completely relaxed when you are looking through the scope.
Than live as slaves to you”
-- Lemuel Haynes, 1775

III
Old August 19, 2014, 11:10 PM   #21
MachIVshooter

Quote:
The gun was used
Well, that explains why they charged you; never seen a warranty/warranty service offered on a used gun.