Quantcast
Brand new Chiappa bolt looks odd - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Rifle Country

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old August 17, 2014, 10:02 PM   #1
Ease Guns

Brand new Chiappa bolt looks odd

Hey everyone,

I just took delivery of a Chiappa M4-22 upper. I've read about the issues some folks have with it, but I haven't seen any pictures like this. Fresh out of the box, the bolt isn't clean. Am I looking at corrosion? Is this something cosmetic that I can just sand out myself, or will it affect function? Thanks for the help.

Last edited by Ease Guns; August 18, 2014 at 09:13 AM.
Old August 18, 2014, 04:15 AM   #2
Davek1977

Without pictures, no one can help you. We can't tell you what you are looking at, if WE can't look at it as well and offer input. Could be corrosion, cold be grease, could be neon green spraypaint for all we know!
Old August 18, 2014, 09:15 AM   #3
Ease Guns

All right, trying the pictures this way. The stuff is definitely not grease. Rubbing my finger over the metal does not move it at all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014-08-17 15.57.02.jpg (54.6 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg 2014-08-17 15.57.13.jpg (31.7 KB, 74 views)
Old August 18, 2014, 10:14 AM   #4
1911 guy

That appears to be corrosion and laso looks to be the beginning stages of pitting. I would call their CS right away and arrange to return either the entire upper or at least swap the bolt. Look the entire upper over very well before calling so you can report all issues at one time.

http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/index.php
yes, I play the bagpipes. No, I don't wear a skirt. It's called a kilt.
Old August 18, 2014, 10:33 AM   #5
ford8nr

I second 1911guy's recommendations. Definitely looks like corrosion and PITTING. Not good for a new gun part!
Old August 18, 2014, 10:38 AM   #6
Ease Guns

Yeah, I was afraid of that. Thanks for the help.
Old August 18, 2014, 10:42 AM   #7
wally

My experience with Chiappa customer service and my 1911-22 says expect disappointment.
Old August 18, 2014, 12:20 PM   #8
rbernie
Contributing Member

Check to see if the bolt is magnetic - I suspect that it's zinc and that you're looking at casting flaws and oxidation that are fugly but should prove harmless. if I'm correct, I also expect Chiappa to address your concerns just as wally has indicated that they might...

Support THR by becoming a Contributing Member. Texans should be a member of the Texas State Rifle Association.
-
Trying to alter human behavior by regulating objects has been historically proven a fools errand, and yet is the fundamental underlying premise of gun control.
-
A conclusion is not a destination, it's simply a convenient place to stop thinking.
-
Reading a thing doesn't automatically make it so, and repeating it doesn't necessarily make it any truer.

-
I cried because I had no shoes, until I met a man who had no class.
Old August 18, 2014, 05:22 PM   #9
MikeJackmin

A new gun should not look like that, but if Chiappa won't help you, you can probably clean it up pretty well with a little steel wool and some oil. This is a .22 rimfire, right? It won't be unsafe, even if it is a bit pitted.

I ain't givin' to any charity that calls it a "tragedy".
I'm only givin' to charities that call it an "attack".
Old August 19, 2014, 07:07 PM   #10
Ease Guns

Well, I got in touch with the folks at CDNN where I bought the upper. According to them, "the unit should work flawlessly. All of the bolts have a copper weld that appears to many to look like rust. None of the bolts are a high polished stainless steel, they all have a rough appearance with that copper weld."

So, I'll clean up the bolt and try it out. I didn't see any other issues with the upper. The barrel nut was a hair loose like a lot of others have found, but I tightened that up. Thanks for all the help.
Old August 19, 2014, 07:52 PM   #11
maxxhavoc

Well, the weld stuff must be a bad run, a CDNN Special, or Palmetto State Armory may have cleaned mine up.

Either way, I would pursue your course of action. If it shoots fine, keep it. I had to sand and file mine to get it cycling properly. Mine was also heavily cut in on the feed ramp, so I get "unsupported chamber" blowouts with cheap ammo. When it works, it's great.

If yours works out of the box, it is better than mine...no matter what it looks like.

Tags
chiappa, m4-22