Quantcast
Question concerning light BE-86 load in 44 mag - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Ammunition, Gear, and Firearm Help > Handloading and Reloading

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old May 16, 2015, 06:09 PM   #1
gonoles_1980

Question concerning light BE-86 load in 44 mag

Using a Speer LSCW 240 grain bullet.

As I have mentioned before on here, I misread the online alliant page and ended up loading 8.1 grains of BE-86. I have written alliant about it and the response I get is understandable from a legal sense, they say don't go below 10% of the top end load which is 11.8grains Obviously my 8.1gr is well below the the 10.6 low end.

So I fired 48 of the 100 I made after my ladder load today, and I kinda like it as a light plinking load. What to do, should I go ahead and jump to 10.6 grains for my light load, or stick with this level since I kinda like it?

Anyone have experience light loading BE-86, if they have been firing ok, any reason I shouldn't continue to use it, I could bump up some without an issue?
Old May 16, 2015, 06:22 PM   #2
Walkalong

Test it out powder forward to make sure it does well no matter where it is in the case. If it does well, you may be OK. Many powders are loaded to less than 10% of max with no troubles. Time will tell about BE-86.

"Oh bother" said Pooh, as he chambered another round. Author unknown.
Old May 16, 2015, 06:29 PM   #3
gonoles_1980

I load the cylinder with the gun pointed down at about a 45 degree angle, so the bullet is downward somewhat. Is that enough to get the powder to go forward, or should I hold the bullet upside down, then load? I fire level since it has a concrete floor and I don't want to hit the floor.
Old May 16, 2015, 06:32 PM   #4
Walkalong

Load normally. Before each shot, first let the barrel point straight down, then slowly bring it up level and shoot. Reverse for testing powder back. It won't be all forward or all back either way, but we don't want to shoot the concrete, nor any passing planes.

"Oh bother" said Pooh, as he chambered another round. Author unknown.
Old May 16, 2015, 07:24 PM   #5
gamestalker

I've tested as Walkalong described, it provided enough position variation to make a reasonable conclusion.

There's another thread going right now about 32-20 with position sensitivity issues, in that thread the OP is thinking about using styro to help keep the powder against the flash hole, which sounds like a pretty effective method. I've used dacron before, and it worked well also.

As to your charge, I would probably run them across the chrony if you have one. If they're pretty consistent fps, and considering you've already shot almost half of the batch, I would think you should be alright in shooting the rest of the 8.1 gr. charges. Just make sure all of them clear the barrel and you should be fine, IMO.

GS
Old May 16, 2015, 09:02 PM   #6
Wreck-n-Crew
Contributing Member

I have a light plinking load for 44 mag using Unique. It is above 44 special and below 44 magnum. Makes a nice plinking round and I enjoy it. Not sure how accurate it is yet...going for accuracy with those loads tomorrow.

Testing some Power Pistol 44 special and 44 Magnum loads tomorrow. Let you know how it goes.

NO PLINKING LOADS FOR ME USING 296/H110. It drops off way too easy!
Old May 17, 2015, 01:35 PM   #7
gonoles_1980

Thanks guys, I will do the pointing method before firing to test. I think my next load I will just go to 9.0, still below minimum, but I know 7.9-8.3 will fire from my test loads. I've got a heavier load I use with 11.3 BE-86 with xtreme 240gr copper plated.