Quantcast
Need some thoughts on safe ammo storage - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Social Situations > General Gun Discussions

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old Yesterday, 09:33 PM   #1
mugsie

Need some thoughts on safe ammo storage

I reload .. lots. In other words, I have oodles of ammo stored in my basement in multiple calibers. I also have thousands of primers and many pounds of powder in multiple one pound containers. All of it is on shelves.

Occasionally my mind wanders and I wonder what would happen if there were a fire. I've seen the video, and had ammo cook off in fires when I was over seas. I know there is minimal danger of being severely wounded, but the first round that cooks off within earshot of a responding fireman will result in a call going out to back off because there's ammunition in the basement and it's "firing"!

So, what suggestions do you have for storage? Location stored? Containers etc? The only thing I can come up with is another safe, but I don't want to pay thousands for another safe. Ideas? Actual experience? Had a fire? What happened?

All your thoughts and suggestions are appreciated. (As I'm typing this I'm thinking, I'll store the ammo at my neighbors hose! Yup, that'll work!)

Thanks all....
“Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”

― Heraclitus
Old Yesterday, 09:54 PM   #2
1911 guy

Ammo cans. Lots of them.

I keep powder in the original cans, lids on tight. Primers get tossed into a plastic container, still in original boxes (so i know what type they are) and ammo gets put in the ammo cans. The .50 caliber cans are probably the most useful, but I do use a few 40 mm cans to store calibers I have a LOT of.

My basement has occasional moisture issues, and my storage system hasn't given me grief yet. I just make sure that everything is off the floor, containers are sealed and don't leave anything open between reloading sessions.

http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/index.php
yes, I play the bagpipes. No, I don't wear a skirt. It's called a kilt.
Old Yesterday, 11:57 PM   #3
medalguy
Contributing Member

Any well trained fire fighter will understand that loaded ammo does not present an undue hazard to him, and all he needs is a turnout coat to protect him from anything that might come flying his way. My friends who are fire fighters all understand there's a whole lot more danger in propane cylinders and gasoline cans, cans of lacquer thinner, acetone, toilet cleaner, and other hazardous household chemicals than loaded ammo.

The last thing you want to do is store any flammable or explosive in a strong box or container.
Old Today, 02:20 AM   #4
Baron66

For powder and primers, use 1" thick wood boxes as seen here (scroll down to photos): http://beta.ar15.com/archive/topic.h...&f=42&t=385681

Also, I think nails were used instead of screws on purpose. Don't want a splinter bomb...
Old Today, 03:57 AM   #5
lxd55

try something like this....
http://store.interstateproducts.com/...Cabinets-45gal
Old Today, 04:36 AM   #6
leadcounsel

Big metal lockable truck style tool boxes. I've bought a few over the years for cheap second hand. You can stack various smaller containers inside them, and lock them. They weight hundreds of pounds when full - so it's hard for people to steal them.

If you are really paranoid, you could build a "box" out of fire-resistant sheetrock and put it around your ammo. Or you could simply add a layer of said sheet rock to your ammo-storage room, to reduce the risks.
2A: "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed." US Army Combat Veteran and Paratrooper: OIF (2008, 2009, 2010) and OND (2011). Bronze Star Medal and Meritorious Service Medal recipient. NRA Lifetime Member. I'm a lawyer, but not YOUR lawyer and I have not offered you legal advice.