Quantcast
Interesting Manufacturing Defect: CCI Mini-mag lot G26U28 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Social Situations > General Gun Discussions

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old September 8, 2014, 02:53 AM   #1
Odd Job

Interesting Manufacturing Defect: CCI Mini-mag lot G26U28

Yesterday I took 9 new shooters down to the range and we got through 949 rounds of .22LR in two rifles. There were 350 rounds of RWS Target Rifle and 599 rounds of CCI Mini-mag.

Why 599?

Because in one of the CCI 100 round boxes, there was a case with no bullet. The case has primer compound in it but no trace of any bullet. It was loaded in the plastic tray just like all the others and when viewed from above looked normal.
I don't know how the rounds are loaded into the plastic tray but it is a very unusual manufacturing error, first one I have seen ever.

The lot number of the ammo is G26U28. I'll post pics of the case if someone wants to see it.
Old September 9, 2014, 10:35 AM   #2
XD Fan

Location: Stuck up here (rural Missouri) and got Dixie on my mind
I guess as many as they make, it is bound to happen occasionally.

"As for me and my house, we shall serve the Lord." Joshua 24:15

Go Vols!
Old September 9, 2014, 02:42 PM   #3
FROGO207

They do not assemble the boxed ammo by hand and a machine MIGHT not know the difference if one of it's sensors was dirty and missed a case without a bullet. As stated, with how many rounds they make every day and their reputation for quality ammo this is really quite rare. BUT things are bound to slip by on occasion at any manufacturing facility. FWIW I do not recall any serious problems or recalls with CCI like we have had with some of the other .22 manufacturers lately.

Of all brands of .22 I have shot the only one that has never given me a problem to date was CCI. YMMV
Old September 9, 2014, 02:48 PM   #4
rcmodel
Contributing Member

Have you seen this vid of CCI .22 manufacturing?

http://www.outdoorhub.com/stories/20...ition-is-made/

rc
Old September 9, 2014, 03:43 PM   #5
Odd Job

Interesting video!
It looks like my defective round was produced because no bullet was loaded in that particular hole in the tray.
I'm guessing the case was loaded with powder correctly but when it went into the seating press it had no bullet. When the cartridges were flipped for packaging, the powder in my case would have been dumped on the ground and the box was loaded with one empty case (which would not have been detected when viewed from above).

I guess they don't weigh the 100 round boxes or have any sort of light beam detection of missing or unseated bullets.
Old September 9, 2014, 06:47 PM   #6
wally

Actually I was surprised by how much manual handing there was between the steps of the process when I watched the video.
Old September 9, 2014, 08:57 PM   #7
1KPerDay

I've seen several of these lately. Rushed production to meet demand=mistakes. I shot 10,000 rounds of federal champion and had one dud. Then 2013 happened. Latest batch I get a couple of duds every hundred.
Old September 10, 2014, 01:12 PM   #8
Odd Job

But this was an entire bullet missing from the cartridge, don't see that very often.
Old September 10, 2014, 01:30 PM   #9
1KPerDay

I understand.... as I said I've seen several of those lately.
Old September 11, 2014, 12:02 PM   #10
skoro

I imagine that all rimfire manufacturers have been going full speed on 3 shifts/day for the past couple of years and QC understandably has been a little less than up to snuff.

Still, CCI is my favorite. Wish I could find some.