Quantcast
A signature discussion... - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Social Situations > General Gun Discussions

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old April 15, 2015, 01:32 PM   #1
RainDodger

A signature discussion...

Ok, everyone... at least this is in the "General Gun Discussions" section.

I have a question and someone needs to enlighten me. I don't mean anything by it, and I certainly don't mean to come down on anyone. After all, everyone has an opinion.

Why is it that some people feel the need to list all of their owned firearms in their signature? Why would anyone want to call attention to something like that? Personally, I don't even mention my ownership of anything resembling a weapon to anyone that's not already aware of my hobby. I just don't get it.

I do display an NRA Life Member sticker on the back window of my personal vehicle, but that's my concession to stating my view of our 2nd amendment right. I know it is perhaps targeting my vehicle, but it's a chance I take. I don't put one on other family vehicles driven by other family members. Listing a whole bunch of weapons even on a web site like this one, doesn't make sense to me.
U.S. Naval Aviator, Retired
Old April 15, 2015, 01:36 PM   #2
ku4hx

The way I see it, it adds distinction sort of like your being a handloader for 46 years and a former Navy pilot. I also ask the same type question about tattoos and body piercing, but it comes down to personal preference and what you'd like to say about yourself. And ... why not? As long as you break no laws, rules or regulations and feel comfortable with your signature, well ... it is yours after all.
Old April 15, 2015, 01:49 PM   #3
xxjumbojimboxx

I used to when I first started shooting. Gave up on it pretty quick because the list started getting too long. I was just proud of what I had accumulated.
Old April 15, 2015, 01:57 PM   #4
tyeo098

What makes you think thats all of them?
I can't list all mine as I'd exceed the character limit.
Old April 15, 2015, 01:59 PM   #5
1KPerDay

Gigantic signatures bug me but only because it's annoying to read/skip through them. I've left forums before because they had no restrictions on Avatar size or signature content/length and you couldn't turn them off. People would put 12 full-size pictures of their motorcycles or dogs or whatever and 15 "pithy" quotes. It gets old.

In general I think the sigs here are pretty well under control, like everything else.
Old April 15, 2015, 01:59 PM   #6
Neo-Luddite

I feel fairly free to discuss things on THR that I wouldn't share so widely in the non-cyber world. That's probably the attraction to share and brag a bit here. ANd no, I don't list my guns in my signature, but it seems fine to me if someone does here. After all, I can be honest here without worrying that someone will follow me (or a family member) home. I wouldn't, say, go to a bar up town and talk about what kinds of guns I own. That's how bad things happens, tales told, and no goodnicks and meth heads prick up their ears for the easy pickings. I don't make my 'real' name very much public knowledge here and that provides a bit of security. Of course if someone dug a bit I'm sure that I've "outed" myself by name a few times in my posts. I do have NRA stuff in/on my car, but as said above, not on the other family vehicles.
Old April 15, 2015, 02:08 PM   #7
0to60

Its very common in a hobby-related forum for people to include "accomplishments" in their sig file. On the weighlifting forum, you'll see stuff like "Deadlift: 550, Bench: 425, Squat 525". On a performance car forum, you'll see "1/4: 11.95 @ 119mph".

If someone is proud of something, a sig file is a harmless (and informative) way of showing it.
Old April 15, 2015, 02:26 PM   #8
DeepSouth
Contributing Member

Quote:
Why is it that some people feel the need to list all of their owned firearms in their signature? Why would anyone want to call attention to something like that?
Question 1:
Because they're proud of owning them.

Question 2:
Same answer as question 1, but I'll add they aren't concerned about the information being public info... Right or wrong, it's their call

I will add, while I don't list my guns in my sig and never would you could easily search my replies and make your own list of what I have. Is their really that big of a difference.

I make my signature multi colored so it's easier for me to find my posts
Old April 15, 2015, 02:35 PM   #9
MedWheeler

I don't think any of them "feel the need."

None of us needs to be here, or be posting/participating here. We do so because we enjoy it, so we want to.

Is this thread actually about whether or not it's wise? Then maybe that's how it should have been worded. Maybe some of those doing so feel safe in both the anonymity of their user names, and of the topic-focused nature of this forum. In all likelihood, they're not also listing them on bumper stickers affixed to their cars.

Otherwise, to each their own quirks..
Old April 15, 2015, 03:31 PM   #10
Hammer059

RainDodger, I've wondered the same thing myself.

Just like when someone will start a "what should I get?" thread, and some people use it an a convenient excuse to post multiple pictures of every single gun they own.

Because what's the point of owning guns if you can't let the internet see and know about all of them?

It's like the people that use social media to constantly post pictures and make sure everyone else knows how much fun they're having. Hmmm….
“But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case it is unfit to exist.” - Lysander Spooner
Old April 15, 2015, 03:50 PM   #11
MilsurpShooter

On the other hand, could be more of a "I know what I'm talking about" type of thing. For instance if I were to list my Surplus rifles and chime in on a 91/30, SKS, or Springfield Trapdoor post and have one of those in my list, might add a bit more credibility to the advice.

I'd never add them into my signature personally but if I'm giving someone advice I'll make mention of if I own the firearm in question or if I've done the same thing on one of my own.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms ... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants, they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -- Thomas Jefferson
Old April 15, 2015, 05:21 PM   #12
RainDodger

Lots of interesting takes on this. Just because someone lists a particular brand/model though, I wouldn't assume he/she knows anything about it. Call me cynical also, but I don't believe half of the lists I see anyway! It's kind of like talking the talk and walking the walk, if you know what I mean. I'll trust the guy that talks sense over the guy that has the mile long list of stuff.

In the end though, we can all do what we want!
U.S. Naval Aviator, Retired
Old April 15, 2015, 05:44 PM   #13
Sol

You know, I haven really visited many forums, but if I did I would expect to see siglines like this:

car forum:
1969 mustang Mach 1, 429 CJ, Q code, Headman headers, holley carburator, k&n airfilter etc.

Cooking forum
KitchenAide stand Mixer, Fisher and Pykal convection oven, general electric hood range, oxo tools, Hobart deep fryer and slicer.

Dog forum:
German Shephard, 122 pounds, 33 inches at the withers, sired by King Bruces Last Dominion. RIP Fluffy.

Horse forum:
3 Arabians and 2 clydesdales, champion bloodlines....I'm a crazy person...
Visit me and my horse children at www.blahblahblah.com

no offense to sane horse people..

I think it's just a list of accomplishments of a certain hobby.
Old April 15, 2015, 05:53 PM   #14
Jim Watson

One board, the Gun Broker talk side, I see "signatures" longer than any message. Multiple allegedly pertinent quotations, pictures, yak, yak, yak. Silly.

In the same vein, when I first internetted at an advanced age, I didn't know I was supposed to come up with a cute CB type handle and just posted stuff under my real name. Think of all the fun I have missed out on.
Old April 15, 2015, 05:58 PM   #15
bikerdoc

You'al realize you can edit you user profile in the thread display section and turn off seeing sig lines.

I only have so many heartbeats left. I am not wasting them on things that are not fun.
VCDL, member, Curmudgeon
Old April 15, 2015, 06:00 PM   #16
Sol

I'm going to make a sigline now too.

Maybe something about Liberties teeth or patriots blood and a freedom tree.
Old April 15, 2015, 06:10 PM   #17
Hammer059

I like seeing sig lines, especially if they're humorous or interesting quotes. I've seen some pretty good ones on this forum, they far outnumber the boring ones.
“But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case it is unfit to exist.” - Lysander Spooner
Old April 15, 2015, 06:10 PM   #18
orionengnr

I call it Twitter/FaceBook syndrome.

Many people "of a certain age" believe that the world reallllllly needs to know everything about them, their lives, their habits, their possessions and the most mundane details of their lives.

Examples of these incessant and intentional self-exposures can be somewhat comical, or somewhat sad...but they are never-ending.
Old April 15, 2015, 06:11 PM   #19
newfalguy101

why do you care??

If you don't want to list what you own....................don't

Pretty simple really....
Old April 15, 2015, 09:18 PM   #20
leadcounsel

Nothing to add, just wanted to post my sig line.
2A: "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed." US Army Combat Veteran and Paratrooper: OIF (2008, 2009, 2010) and OND (2011). Bronze Star Medal and Meritorious Service Medal recipient. NRA Lifetime Member. I'm a lawyer, but not YOUR lawyer and I have not offered you legal advice.
Old April 15, 2015, 09:52 PM   #21
Delford

Leadcounsel:
From your sig line I surmise you may have been stationed at Ft. Lewis or the joint forces base. It appears you have served your country well and conducted yourself in a dignified and professional manner. Thank you for your service. Nice sig line too.
Old April 15, 2015, 10:16 PM   #22
chicharrones

I'm merely annoyed at sig lines that take up a lot of vertical space when the info could be kept shorter vertically by going horizontally.

Why? More replies can fit on one page which makes me wade through less vertical space of sigs I've already read before.

For instance:
Ruger, S&W, Colt, CZ, H&K, FN, Marlin, Winchester, Savage, Mil-Surp

vs.

Ruger
S&W
Colt
CZ
H&K
FN
Marlin
Winchester
Savage
Mil-Surp
Old April 16, 2015, 01:17 AM   #23
leadcounsel

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicharrones View Post
I'm merely annoyed at sig lines that take up a lot of vertical space when the info could be kept shorter vertically by going horizontally.

Why? More replies can fit on one page which makes me wade through less vertical space of sigs I've already read before.

For instance:
Ruger, S&W, Colt, CZ, H&K, FN, Marlin, Winchester, Savage, Mil-Surp

vs.

Ruger
S&W
Colt
CZ
H&K
FN
Marlin
Winchester
Savage
Mil-Surp
And yet - you did exactly what annoys you to prove a point. Which is funny and ironic...

On point - let people boast a little... unlike show horses or muscle cars or fancy suits/watches/shoes etc. it's hard for folks to show off our "guns" due generally to legal reasons... So, a sig line with guns makes people feel good. And why are others always trying to prevent someone else from feeling good?
2A: "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed." US Army Combat Veteran and Paratrooper: OIF (2008, 2009, 2010) and OND (2011). Bronze Star Medal and Meritorious Service Medal recipient. NRA Lifetime Member. I'm a lawyer, but not YOUR lawyer and I have not offered you legal advice.
Old April 16, 2015, 07:51 AM   #24
chicharrones

Yep, I annoyed myself just typing that.
Old April 16, 2015, 08:10 AM   #25
roadchoad

I find it helpful. Suppose I am interested in a certain gun or need advice on parts/repair. If I see that someone has one in their sig, I can send a PM to them to get info straight from the horse's mouth, rather than start a thread where anyone with or without experience with that firearm can participate.

Now on a couple fishing forums, myself and many others use it as a brag board. If someone sees another with a high catch rate of a certain species, a discussion usually follows.