Quantcast
Special day-special gun - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Social Situations > General Gun Discussions

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old Yesterday, 11:13 AM   #1
preachnhunt

Special day-special gun

Today is the opening day of dove season in Ky.and I'm 54 years old. As I approach middle ageI can't help but feel a little bit nostalgic and remember my friend Jimmy Lloyd.

He was retired and spent his days sitting on the porch with his dad who seemed ancient,when I met him. A lifelong bachelor,Jimmy Lloyd was never shy of opinion. We became fast friends in 1985 when I moved in next door. Many hours were spent with the three of us, Jimmy Lloyd, his dad and me "porch sitting". He smoked his pipe,and we solved the world's problems.

When he was a younger man he played football at the University of Ky. He held the record for the longest run from scrimmage for many years. He also enjoyed hunting small game with his Belgian Browning A5 12 ga. That gun sat unused for twenty years and I pestered him constantly about selling it to me. No chance.

I got married, started a family and moved away.It's hard to believe almost thirty years have passed. Jimmy Lloyd's father just missed living in three centuries when he died.

Jimmy Lloyd sat on the porch alone for a few years. We got back to see him from time to time and then some friends called with the sad news. My buddy was dying from cancer in the hospital. He had fought it for years but it finally caught up to him.They said he wanted to see me before he died.

His goodbye was simple and to the point. "Jim" he said," I've lived a good long life and I am ready to go, but before I die I'm gonna give you that shotgun you always wanted. Should have done it years ago. The only thing is when you use it I want you to remember me and our friendship."

The field is ready. I can see the doves coming and going.My son should be here by lunch and all the other hunters by 3:00. I' m looking forward, as always, to the joking and laughter, and the hunt itself. I'll be in my usual spot with my old dog June , and my Browning A5, and memories of my good friend Jimmy Lloyd.

I miss you buddy.

Last edited by preachnhunt; Yesterday at 11:19 AM. Reason: punctuation
Old Yesterday, 12:39 PM   #2
Shanghai McCoy

Hope you have a fine hunt Sir.
Old Yesterday, 12:45 PM   #3
preachnhunt

Thanks! Time to make tomorrow's memories.
Old Yesterday, 02:55 PM   #4
Mike J

Yep, I hope you have a good hunt. Enjoy today as well as the memories.
Old Yesterday, 04:54 PM   #5
buck460XVR

Sometimes, with guns given to me by others than have since passed, I swear I feel their hand on the forearm at times, helping me aim.

Great story to go with a great gun. I hope that in the future, the next owner/owners will know it's story and the the story/stories that followed before they got it.

Theiyr're...........take that Grammar Nazis!
Old Yesterday, 06:38 PM   #6
bannockburn

preachnhunt

First rate story. Enjoy your memories as well as the gun that you received from your friend. Thank you for sharing it with us.
Old Yesterday, 08:14 PM   #7
gunlaw

A great gun with great memories, just wow
Old Yesterday, 08:29 PM   #8
preachnhunt

Thanks for the kind thoughts everybody.I have given a lot of thought to what will happen to my own collection when I no longer have use for them.
I intend to leave my son whatever guns I have that are special to him. There are others that I hope to give away to someone who is just getting started. I think it's a great way to pay it forward.

We had a great hunt. Hope the rest of you have/ do as well.
Old Yesterday, 08:31 PM   #9
Frankl03

Thank you! Great story! Have a good hunt!
Old Yesterday, 08:42 PM   #10
jotjackson

Great story! That type of gift is always the most treasured! I am willing to bet each time you pull the trigger you will think of him.
Old Yesterday, 10:18 PM   #11
cat_IT_guy

Good story indeed. I wish you a good hunt.
Old Yesterday, 10:29 PM   #12
js8588

Great story. As a relative young'n, I appreciate you sharing it with us. More than a few good life lessons I can take from it as I become seasoned by the years.

1942 Izzy Mosin Nagant
1936 Hex Receiver Tula Mosin Nagant
Vepr 7.62x54r
Rossi 45 Colt/410 Circuit Judge
Tula SKS
VZ 24
VZ 22/98
Super Vepr 308
Beretta PX4 Storm 9mm Subcompact
Ruger LC9
Winchester M70 Alaskan Stainless Laminate 300 Win Mag
Zastava M70 270 Winchester
CZ 452 Training Rifle 17hmr
Old Yesterday, 10:31 PM   #13
JTHunter

A good and touching story.
Hope you limit out!
Old Yesterday, 11:12 PM   #14
Hardtarget

Right now there are six 12 ga. guns in my safe. I will be on a hunt on Sept. 6 and I will use a Winchester sxs that belonged to my father in law. I've used that gun for the past five years.

With that said, I really appreciate your story about your friend. I know you miss him and will always remember him every time you see that A-5 in your hand.

Fond memories...the sad part and the best part of life.

Mark
Old Yesterday, 11:14 PM   #15
wannabeagunsmith

Haven't been on this site for a while....but that way the perfect way to get back on! Great story, very heartfelt.
Old Today, 10:35 AM   #16
skoro

Sounds like it's up to you to bag a couple of doves. One each for Jimmy and his dad.
Old Today, 11:32 AM   #17
200Apples

Thank you for the enjoyable read. Happy Birthday!, too. I got a kick out of "as I approach middle age..." hahaha... good attitude.

Looking forward to hearing of the hunt. How about a picture of the A5?

Thanks again.

:-)
"The very purpose of a Bill of Rights was to withdraw certain subjects from the vicissitudes of political controversy, to place them beyond the reach of majorities and officials and to establish them as legal principles to be applied by the courts." - Supreme Court Justice Robert H. Jackson, 1943

"Surely you have noticed the extent to which thinking is going out of style." - Jeff Cooper, January, 2000