Quantcast
Life Below Zero - Page 11 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Social Situations > General Gun Discussions

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!


If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old September 2, 2013, 08:54 AM   #251
caribou
Member
 
 
Join Date: September 12, 2008
Location: North West Alaska
Posts: 1,379
I'm in Noorvik, a bit east, Goon. It is a small world here, so, indeed, we may have crossed paths, with the greatest of ease....

Funny, theres been a couple times feeling that cold deepen in my body and I was struggling to do "the right thing" setteling in for the night and getting warm , 10 miles from shelter, -45, broke down and its dark 20 hours a day, and night is setting in.....it does make you a bit 'small' in the big world.....
__________________
Its not the Kill, it's the Chase.
caribou is offline  
Old September 2, 2013, 07:42 PM   #252
TNboy
Member
 
 
Join Date: February 8, 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 251
Just wanted to give my best wishes towards your struggle. You seem to be a standup guy. I enjoy the show and am looking forward to the new episodes.
TNboy is offline  
Old September 2, 2013, 09:58 PM   #253
hang fire
Member
 
 
Join Date: January 8, 2012
Posts: 1,089
Caribou , what are the AK state laws as to muzzleloaders being considered firearms?

Lived in AK from 1969-76, never had a reason to ask. But may be possible for persons restricted from having firearms, to possess muzzleloaders and hunt with them.
hang fire is offline  
Old September 2, 2013, 11:57 PM   #254
caribou
Member
 
 
Join Date: September 12, 2008
Location: North West Alaska
Posts: 1,379
Well, untill this is resolved, Ill stick with my lance and arrows. Antique arms and muzzle loaders are not consitterd "guns" but Im avoiding, anything, like the plauge, and everything that could mess me up , legal wize.There hasnt been a gun here, except those in transit or for filming, when we come or go, as the wife stores them at her brothers up the road. They did get some footage when they filmed the pilot, but after that, the collection was greased, boxed, numberd and stacked in a dry place, with no kids in the house knida deal. Safe
Still, Im happy to work and be free, it could have gone mucho worse, and I see turnaround as fairplay/self defence.
Were looking at some Caribou Hunting soon, were gassed and ready, and well peel outta here for a Moose too, my wife has a ticket for an ''any size' bull. Luck has it we usually see 5 or more each time we come or go, and a couple neighbors have said they would take meats, as its still warm, we'd have to dry themeat or take berrys out of the freezers, as we wind down our Salmon fishing. We still have a bit of drying to do, and its drizzling, so were back to camp for more maintanaince, make room fro Moose meats on the rack and smoke the last Salmon but mostly just be there to watch over em. The winds been gusty, it oftenis this timma year, gotta keep the Fishrack tarps down, they think they are sails in the wind.
__________________
Its not the Kill, it's the Chase.
caribou is offline  
Old September 3, 2013, 08:59 AM   #255
Queen_of_Thunder
member
 
 
Join Date: July 28, 2012
Location: Where God purifies the soul. The West Texas desert.
Posts: 1,881
Caribou

I was watching a marthon of the show yesterday and in one your wife got a wolf. How far away was the wolf when she took the shot. It looked like a long shot on the TV. I wonder because I noticed her rifle was without a scope.
Queen_of_Thunder is offline  
Old September 3, 2013, 10:09 AM   #256
Zeke/PA
Member
 
 
Join Date: February 24, 2005
Location: Southeastern Pa.
Posts: 1,914
I take these shows with a grain of salt.
If you prefer to live under these harsh conditions, take it upon yourself to be prepared, not wait till your butts against the wall to try to survive.
Example: Not long ago one of these Clowns had Outhouse problems.
He chose to move the same when the ground was frozen about 36 inches deep.
Where was he all summer?
5 to 10 bucks for a Muskrat pelt?
50 to 100 bucks for a Fox Pelt?
All nonsense !
Zeke/PA is offline  
Old September 3, 2013, 10:54 AM   #257
Queen_of_Thunder
member
 
 
Join Date: July 28, 2012
Location: Where God purifies the soul. The West Texas desert.
Posts: 1,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke/PA View Post
I take these shows with a grain of salt.
If you prefer to live under these harsh conditions, take it upon yourself to be prepared, not wait till your butts against the wall to try to survive.
Example: Not long ago one of these Clowns had Outhouse problems.
He chose to move the same when the ground was frozen about 36 inches deep.
Where was he all summer?
5 to 10 bucks for a Muskrat pelt?
50 to 100 bucks for a Fox Pelt?
All nonsense !
How so?
Queen_of_Thunder is offline  
Old September 3, 2013, 11:41 AM   #258
goon
Member
 
 
Join Date: January 20, 2003
Posts: 6,702
Quote:
I take these shows with a grain of salt.
If you prefer to live under these harsh conditions, take it upon yourself to be prepared, not wait till your butts against the wall to try to survive.
Example: Not long ago one of these Clowns had Outhouse problems.
He chose to move the same when the ground was frozen about 36 inches deep.
Where was he all summer?
5 to 10 bucks for a Muskrat pelt?
50 to 100 bucks for a Fox Pelt?
All nonsense !
I haven't seen the show, but it wouldn't surprise me if the producers add drama where none needs to exist.
For example, on the Alaska reality shows, you'll hear references to "bitter cold temperatures of ten below..." and stuff like that. But when you're suited up in your Carhartts and have your face covered, ten below just isn't that bad. It's actually great weather to get out and mess around in as long as there's no weather. (When the temperature got up to -10, I knew it was a good day to sling the rifle and go exploring.)
Producers' job is to make a show that people want to watch. So they manufacture drama by making everyday stuff look like some insurmountable challenge.

Also, summer is a busy time. You've got a limited amount of time to get out and hunt birds, fish, or gather berries. Along with food, fishing is used by many as a source of income and gathering berries is a HUGE deal. It's such big deal that you can call off work to go pick berries and no one would blame you. Just that alone should illustrate that the reality that people face in that region is different from yours. But the point is, summer is a busy time.
Should you move an outhouse while the ground is thawed? Yep. Do you always have time for that? Maybe not.
Is it possible that the guy you mention just didn't plan well?
That's possible too. People are individuals and they don't always act as rationally as they should. Apparently, that makes good TV.
goon is offline  
Old September 3, 2013, 12:26 PM   #259
Queen_of_Thunder
member
 
 
Join Date: July 28, 2012
Location: Where God purifies the soul. The West Texas desert.
Posts: 1,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by goon View Post
I haven't seen the show
By your own admission you haven't seen the show so any comments on the show are based on what. Watch the show then comment.
Queen_of_Thunder is offline  
Old September 3, 2013, 03:29 PM   #260
goon
Member
 
 
Join Date: January 20, 2003
Posts: 6,702
My comments are generally based on what I learned when I lived in the NW arctic.
I ate muktuk and got frostbite riding a snow machine up the Noatak. I got to know some people in the region and listened to what they told me about their culture, past and present. And I observed. It doesn't make me an expert, but it does give me a little insight.

But you're right. I should watch more TV instead.
goon is offline  
Old September 3, 2013, 07:01 PM   #261
caribou
Member
 
 
Join Date: September 12, 2008
Location: North West Alaska
Posts: 1,379
I dont havbe a TV, nor have I seen all the shows. Some were on youtube, some not.

Where'd ya work in Kotz, Goon?

"The Wolf" went down much like this;
We were riding down a ridge off a mountain, in a place where 4 creeks, steep and narrow converge and animals are funneled up to, a quite perfect Hunting spot for centuries now, much like steps on stairs, and we saw them eating on a Caribou, about 3 of them. We got off the rides and the wife went to the 'edge " of the step' and useing her VKT M-39 for about the 10 th year now, you take only reliable, accurate rifles on trips like this, and she shot at one thats head was down and eating. Turned out to be about 300 yards and a perfect shot. You'll likely have noticed its bloody 'undertail' When you see her shoot, its actually down a slope.
Thay all were gone into the terrain in about a second, and that when we left the camera men behind, as he blew a belt on his ride.
We got down to the Caribou and stopped, had a look and thats when a Wolf came running up the other side of the creek. I went a bit further and looked down ito the creek and the one she shot was laying down, so she took off around the hill infront of us (the 'good' Wolf was running up) and the wife went south and around to let him come to her, while I drove to the already hit Wolf. i though t it was dead, but Wolves are tough, and It got up from where it was laying, and went about 200 yards and layed down again, and theres a shot of me closeing up on it with my snow machine, and ,of course, they omitted my dispatching it with a blow from my Ax, quick and certain to the back of his head.I left it there and went looking for the wife, as she was not to be seen or heard.
Then I got on the wifes trail and she was comming back to me, as the creek the second Wolf ditched her by jumping off a small cliff to a creek bed below that was viewable from above and we discoved 5 more running helter skelter up the other side, away from another kill, so we gave 'em up and the camera guy filld in some more Wolf shots. Then we all gatherd (film guys and us) and went back to the shot Wolf and retrived it, and you 'll hear me say "He's been dead for an hour or so", because he was, and he was freeezing. We always meet back at where we dropped off our sleds, a good way to meetup or at least track down someone who hasnt shown up yet, and brought em up there to skin and drink hot tea.

Every day we saw Wolves and Wolf kills, its quits normal, and 'why' we go there, and in some years have left with a couple dozen, most years 6-10 depening on how it go's....... For natGeo, they were interested in "one" aswell, with Eric trapping, they downplayed my trapping, which was cool with me. The one overnight set I made for Fox in town on the second show, and snapped the next morning (kids in town) was really the only trapping set they showed me doing.......

They cant get the drama out of us as in words, nor can they relate the feeling of Cold, so they want to show its not easy and theres a couple edit'd in "misses", especcially on Caribou. They show us takeing home one, rather than the three in the first hunts we did, and only showed one from the dozen we ended that hunt with, but , again, tthey dont want it voiewd as a "hunting " show, they wanted to show that its not as easy as some would think. That sled load of Meats we took home after catching 'the Wolf' made the whole hunt proitable enough in trade at home, yet un shown........kinda like the 26 Caribou I lanced (and posted here) in the Fall Last year, they were trying to make it look like we lived off whitefish or something. We got that "gonna die" additude out of them pretty quickly, though.We had some words over makeing us look like we were on some 'brink'
Actually, weve been talking to the story line guys and getting it hammerd out to show the end results of our hunts and such, aswell as the Greens, Berrys and other Fish we catch, and the skin tanning, cutting and sewing that make the majority of our $$. So season 2 will have alot more of that such.
The funniest one was a shot of the wife and I by a tree, shes actually shooting a Fox, yet edit it in as a "miss' on a Caribou.Theres a scene or two in the intro that shows me carring that Fox up the hill we were up on.~~LOL!!~~


I have a hard time relateing that because were not on the 'brink', nor are we poor, nor are we unsucessfull, and with a deeply ingrained family as well as being happy to be here, theres no need for anyone to EVER tellme that I have some option to move. Hell no way, I love it here, and here loves me back. The danger is in ignorance, and we thrive here.

She uses a rifle with open sight to good effect. At -20, a scope is a hinderance, with fogging, shattering, misalignment and such, after a 120 mile one way trip over Ice and Tundra, open sights are mighty fine. Weve been at this long enough that we know what works.

Hauling a camera crew along IS a MAJOR PAIN to stalking animals, I'll tell you that!!

But, as long as they get some good shots in for some episode material, they are happy, and then we still carry on. 4-10 days to make our 15 or so minutes, and the editors are still figuring out how to avoid the mistakes, or "Moos-stakes" as weve come to call such...

A Muskrat skin thats tanned could get 5-10$ and maybe a Fox thats tanned, but not in raw fur prices, no way. We tan all ourt skins at home and sew them, thats where the value is, and the wife sells plenty, and our daughters are stedfastly learning the same..
__________________
Its not the Kill, it's the Chase.

Last edited by caribou; September 3, 2013 at 07:11 PM.
caribou is offline  
Old September 3, 2013, 07:32 PM   #262
goon
Member
 
 
Join Date: January 20, 2003
Posts: 6,702
Quote:
A Muskrat skin thats tanned could get 5-10$ and maybe a Fox thats tanned, but not in raw fur prices, no way. We tan all ourt skins at home and sew them, thats where the value is, and the wife sells museums LOTS.
To echo Caribou's statement, even an unremarkable fur hat can sell for $200-$300. Get one made of a spotted seal fur and it can bring a lot more. The skill of making furs into something is where the money is earned. It's kind of fascinating to see people walking down the street wearing a mixture of traditional hats and mittens mixed in with high-tech winter clothing from North Face or Marmot. Just a really cool contrast of old stuff that works combined with new stuff that works.

Something else I found interesting is the way that mittens are made so that the "grain" of the fur points toward the ground if you stood with your hands down at your sides. This would make sense if you were on foot because it would shed snow, but on a snow machine you'd think you'd want the fur turned the other way so as not to blow the fur apart and expose you to cold and snow.
I had this discussion with a friend who was making a pair and she said she didn't know why they were made that way except that this is how they were always made. We came to the conclusion that it might be one of those things that's just still left over from the old days... and that itself was kind of neat to think about.
goon is offline  
Old September 3, 2013, 10:30 PM   #263
caribou
Member
 
 
Join Date: September 12, 2008
Location: North West Alaska
Posts: 1,379
Well, Goon, you have that quite right, and makeing things outta fur uis the way to make $$, and if you happen to eat what is makeingyour fur, you save that much more



When you were in Kotz, Goon, prehaps you saw the displays my wife has in Maniilaq associations medical Center? Flip back a page and see the 4 dressed in Turn of the 19th/20th Centurey style fur clothing.

Or 4th of Julys sewing contestents? My daughter Tin made her own Caribou/wolverine trimmed parkee, the wife made the youngest Daughter, Qutan's parkee, but shell sew someday.






This fawnskin parkee on my oldest daughter is now in the Anchorage Museum, or somewhere, off on a roveing Arctic display, and hosted by the Smithsonian.




That, boys, is where the $$$$ is made.
__________________
Its not the Kill, it's the Chase.
caribou is offline  
Old September 3, 2013, 11:04 PM   #264
firme67
Member
 
 
Join Date: September 15, 2012
Posts: 32
I really enjoy the show! How many episodes have been on. I have 10 recorded that say they range from 5-19-13 to 7-21-13. Just wondered if I have missed any?
firme67 is offline  
Old September 3, 2013, 11:16 PM   #265
caribou
Member
 
 
Join Date: September 12, 2008
Location: North West Alaska
Posts: 1,379
Shortly 6 more will appear, they are "in the can", and Were schedualed for "more" is all I can say for now.

What has bummed me is that I cannot reallly post much about what were filming, untill its on TV, makes it hard for a guy like me to share the "story" buy Im thinking "books' now....

Goon, I asked the wife about the hair flow on the mittens and she smiled, laughed and showing me one, explained thet the hairs not only protect the stictches, but if it were reversed it would have a bare , and thus cold, edge......"OK" was my best answer ~~LOL!!~~
__________________
Its not the Kill, it's the Chase.
caribou is offline  
Old September 4, 2013, 01:04 AM   #266
John3921
Member
 
 
Join Date: February 2, 2012
Location: Montana
Posts: 327
Beautiful work! Compliments to you and Agnes!
__________________
NRA Life member
John3921 is offline  
Old September 4, 2013, 08:56 AM   #267
3D's
Member
 
 
Join Date: July 17, 2013
Posts: 11
Your wife does beautiful work. Might there be a mail-order market for her clothing?
3D's is offline  
Old September 4, 2013, 12:34 PM   #268
goon
Member
 
 
Join Date: January 20, 2003
Posts: 6,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribou
When you were in Kotz, Goon, prehaps you saw the displays my wife has in Maniilaq associations medical Center? Flip back a page and see the 4 dressed in Turn of the 19th/20th Centurey style fur clothing.

Or 4th of Julys sewing contestents? My daughter Tin made her own Caribou/wolverine trimmed parkee, the wife made the youngest Daughter, Qutan's parkee, but shell sew someday.
I left just before the 4th of July so I didn't get to see the stuff from the sewing contest, but I did see your wife's clothing on display at Maniilaq. Probably checked it out a dozen times, along with the other items on display there. I've always been a sucker for handmade or historical stuff, so every time I went into the the health center (usually with one of my coworkers who loved going there for the prime rib) I was drawn to the displays. I thought that clothing looked familiar when I first saw that post.
goon is offline  
Old September 4, 2013, 12:49 PM   #269
KMatch
Member
 
 
Join Date: October 18, 2012
Posts: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribou View Post
Funny, theres been a couple times feeling that cold deepen in my body and I was struggling to do "the right thing" setteling in for the night and getting warm , 10 miles from shelter, -45, broke down and its dark 20 hours a day, and night is setting in.....it does make you a bit 'small' in the big world.....
Ya know, there's one I can relate to in a small way. Tooling around the Gulf of Mexico on a jetski, I ventured 3 miles out alone according to GPS. I hit the kill button just to soak it all in hoping that wasn't a mistake (all went fine). Strange world when you take people out of it. It dawned on me - how many folks can honestly say they've been 3 miles from another human? Sure, many have felt "all alone" before, but seriously, how many actually experience this isolation? Throw in -45 and a breakdown, add 7 miles or so, 20 hours of night time and boogy men, and it really becomes a BIG deal! There are SOOOO many things that could go wrong with no options for help... I haven't quite been "there", but I get it.
KMatch is offline  
Old September 4, 2013, 05:44 PM   #270
Queen_of_Thunder
member
 
 
Join Date: July 28, 2012
Location: Where God purifies the soul. The West Texas desert.
Posts: 1,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribou View Post
I dont havbe a TV, nor have I seen all the shows. Some were on youtube, some not.

Where'd ya work in Kotz, Goon?

"The Wolf" went down much like this;
We were riding down a ridge off a mountain, in a place where 4 creeks, steep and narrow converge and animals are funneled up to, a quite perfect Hunting spot for centuries now, much like steps on stairs, and we saw them eating on a Caribou, about 3 of them. We got off the rides and the wife went to the 'edge " of the step' and useing her VKT M-39 for about the 10 th year now, you take only reliable, accurate rifles on trips like this, and she shot at one thats head was down and eating. Turned out to be about 300 yards and a perfect shot. You'll likely have noticed its bloody 'undertail' When you see her shoot, its actually down a slope.
Thay all were gone into the terrain in about a second, and that when we left the camera men behind, as he blew a belt on his ride.
We got down to the Caribou and stopped, had a look and thats when a Wolf came running up the other side of the creek. I went a bit further and looked down ito the creek and the one she shot was laying down, so she took off around the hill infront of us (the 'good' Wolf was running up) and the wife went south and around to let him come to her, while I drove to the already hit Wolf. i though t it was dead, but Wolves are tough, and It got up from where it was laying, and went about 200 yards and layed down again, and theres a shot of me closeing up on it with my snow machine, and ,of course, they omitted my dispatching it with a blow from my Ax, quick and certain to the back of his head.I left it there and went looking for the wife, as she was not to be seen or heard.
Then I got on the wifes trail and she was comming back to me, as the creek the second Wolf ditched her by jumping off a small cliff to a creek bed below that was viewable from above and we discoved 5 more running helter skelter up the other side, away from another kill, so we gave 'em up and the camera guy filld in some more Wolf shots. Then we all gatherd (film guys and us) and went back to the shot Wolf and retrived it, and you 'll hear me say "He's been dead for an hour or so", because he was, and he was freeezing. We always meet back at where we dropped off our sleds, a good way to meetup or at least track down someone who hasnt shown up yet, and brought em up there to skin and drink hot tea.

Every day we saw Wolves and Wolf kills, its quits normal, and 'why' we go there, and in some years have left with a couple dozen, most years 6-10 depening on how it go's....... For natGeo, they were interested in "one" aswell, with Eric trapping, they downplayed my trapping, which was cool with me. The one overnight set I made for Fox in town on the second show, and snapped the next morning (kids in town) was really the only trapping set they showed me doing.......

They cant get the drama out of us as in words, nor can they relate the feeling of Cold, so they want to show its not easy and theres a couple edit'd in "misses", especcially on Caribou. They show us takeing home one, rather than the three in the first hunts we did, and only showed one from the dozen we ended that hunt with, but , again, tthey dont want it voiewd as a "hunting " show, they wanted to show that its not as easy as some would think. That sled load of Meats we took home after catching 'the Wolf' made the whole hunt proitable enough in trade at home, yet un shown........kinda like the 26 Caribou I lanced (and posted here) in the Fall Last year, they were trying to make it look like we lived off whitefish or something. We got that "gonna die" additude out of them pretty quickly, though.We had some words over makeing us look like we were on some 'brink'
Actually, weve been talking to the story line guys and getting it hammerd out to show the end results of our hunts and such, aswell as the Greens, Berrys and other Fish we catch, and the skin tanning, cutting and sewing that make the majority of our $$. So season 2 will have alot more of that such.
The funniest one was a shot of the wife and I by a tree, shes actually shooting a Fox, yet edit it in as a "miss' on a Caribou.Theres a scene or two in the intro that shows me carring that Fox up the hill we were up on.~~LOL!!~~


I have a hard time relateing that because were not on the 'brink', nor are we poor, nor are we unsucessfull, and with a deeply ingrained family as well as being happy to be here, theres no need for anyone to EVER tellme that I have some option to move. Hell no way, I love it here, and here loves me back. The danger is in ignorance, and we thrive here.

She uses a rifle with open sight to good effect. At -20, a scope is a hinderance, with fogging, shattering, misalignment and such, after a 120 mile one way trip over Ice and Tundra, open sights are mighty fine. Weve been at this long enough that we know what works.

Hauling a camera crew along IS a MAJOR PAIN to stalking animals, I'll tell you that!!

But, as long as they get some good shots in for some episode material, they are happy, and then we still carry on. 4-10 days to make our 15 or so minutes, and the editors are still figuring out how to avoid the mistakes, or "Moos-stakes" as weve come to call such...

A Muskrat skin thats tanned could get 5-10$ and maybe a Fox thats tanned, but not in raw fur prices, no way. We tan all ourt skins at home and sew them, thats where the value is, and the wife sells plenty, and our daughters are stedfastly learning the same..


300 yards with iron sights is flat out remarkable in my book. Heck I need a scope for anything at 100 yards or further. Your wife is a fine shot in my book. As far as cold goes I just cannot comprehend sub zero temperatures. As far as I'm concerned anything under 80 degrees is cold for me but then again I've spent the last 32 years in the desert of West Texas. Took awhile to adapt but its home now.
Queen_of_Thunder is offline  
Old September 4, 2013, 06:17 PM   #271
c.latrans
Member
 
 
Join Date: October 19, 2007
Location: Big Sky Country
Posts: 281
Hey Caribou.

I enjoy the show and appreciate your participation here. Here in down south rural Montana, a box of "deer ammo"...call it green box Remington or silver box Winchester...just regular ammo lacking "premium" bullets in common calibers like .270 and .30-06 is going for about $20 per box. I live in the sticks, and am certain it can be had for less than that in the big towns like Billings with their selection of bigger stores. What would a similar box go for in the store you would buy such ammo, and how far from your house would that store be?

Nice looking hides, by the way. I have been tanning my own for over 30 years with one of the old borax/alum recipes. Actually built a new drum this summer as the old one had given her last. Without giving away secrets you hold dear, what solutions do you use up there? (MODS....if this gets too far afield just say the world and I will take it to PM.) Good luck with the show. I made my own kids master iron sights before letting them start playing with scopes, and am doing the same now with grand kids. Anyone who has been in the military will tell you that butt chewings occur on a rotating basis, and my daughter thanked me for the fact that her ability to shoot irons allowed her to to be skipped over one day! We have a couple of generations now that do not understand or appreciate the proper application of iron sight use. Really a shame, and it could be a matter of life or death for someone one day. Regards....c.l.
__________________
"One man with a gun can control 100 without one. Make mass searches and hold executions for found arms."...Vladimir I. Lennin
c.latrans is offline  
Old September 4, 2013, 08:05 PM   #272
caribou
Member
 
 
Join Date: September 12, 2008
Location: North West Alaska
Posts: 1,379
Iron sights are fine with me, I have used no other in my years. Ive posted alotta vids here with me shooting
The rifles, I must say, are to be carried everywhere , in every condition, temperatur and weather.......and weve all worn out a few in our uses. If you look at the rifle my wife is useing, and older posts with me and mine, they may look tired outside, butthey are bright and shiny inside, 24/7, corrosive ammo and all.
Scopes up here are almost 100% Leupold, and most that NEED them , use them, just like eye glasses, although the associated problems of travel/deepcold/daily use/fogging, shattering, missalignment/ect. But the miltary PU the wife picked up is simple enough and basicly a "spring time" use kind of shooter.

The tanning solutions are often home brewed stuuf with Alder bark and other vegtable colorings/tannings. I think the original "Tannin" was from oak bark, but Alder does all thats needed.
As well, alot is dry scraped and in this "desert" were pretty dang dry and he humidity in Winter is almost nothing.
__________________
Its not the Kill, it's the Chase.
caribou is offline  
Old September 4, 2013, 09:19 PM   #273
hang fire
Member
 
 
Join Date: January 8, 2012
Posts: 1,089
You and Caribou are correct about the unappreciated iron sights for both defense and meat hunting. Here are our girls age 14 and 16 in 1978 with a morning’s kill in NW Wyoming where we lived after coming outside to lower 48 in 1976. We started them out with the basics, iron sighted muzzleloaders, the youngest daughter took her deer at 100 yards with her little .54.



Youngest daughter in 1981 with her first elk.

hang fire is offline  
Old September 4, 2013, 09:34 PM   #274
zorro45
Member
 
 
Join Date: December 3, 2008
Posts: 284
Food tastes better when you harvest it yourself!
I like the juxtaposition of your beautiful family in their fur garments (the design of which is probably 5000 years old or more) with the modern cell phone!
Good luck w/ your troubles. Good usually dominates over evil if you live long enough.
zorro45 is offline  
Old September 4, 2013, 10:47 PM   #275
firme67
Member
 
 
Join Date: September 15, 2012
Posts: 32
Can anyone tell me what the .22 pistol is that Erik Salitan is always carrying with him? Looks like something I might like to find. Thanks.
firme67 is offline  
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Optimisation by vB Optimise.
This site, its contents, Shooting Reviews, and its contents are Copyright (c) 2010-2013 Firearms Forum, Inc.
IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER
Although The High Road has attempted to provide accurate information on the forum, The High Road assumes no responsibility for the accuracy of the information. All information is provided "as is" with all faults without warranty of any kind, either express or implied. Neither The High Road nor any of its directors, members, managers, employees, agents, vendors, or suppliers will be liable for any direct, indirect, general, bodily injury, compensatory, special, punitive, consequential, or incidental damages including, without limitation, lost profits or revenues, costs of replacement goods, loss or damage to data arising out of the use or inability to use this forum or any services associated with this forum, or damages from the use of or reliance on the information present on this forum, even if you have been advised of the possibility of such damages.