Quantcast
Life Below Zero - Page 15 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Social Situations > General Gun Discussions

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old November 17, 2013, 03:19 PM   #351
scaatylobo

@Caribou

For a wild man of the north = you sound very wise.

Guess it don't take school/book learning to get all the work ethic you have, and have passed on.

Thanks to you and 'most' of the show members I will continue to watch.

Still cant stomach Sue,but that's why the have a 'mute' button on the remote ,I do give her some creds [ not that she would care ] as she is living a fairly rough existence.

One I would have given a few body parts to have ,when I was a young un,now I am too old and soft .
Old November 21, 2013, 03:38 AM   #352
caribou

For myself..... I gotta comment

we made sure the kids were "schooled" but properly with hands on work. In high school, when we moved to a village when the homeschool stopped, our oldest son graduated Valadictorian. We want our kids to have choices. Today all 4 elementry girls came home with A grades, so if the older kids do well, the younger mostly follow. They should do well , later in life, we hope.

My favorite part of me in the latest episode was me looking for stripped dryed poles to hang the Fish and Caribou on, while I found and cut logs to managable size, myself, for like 9 hours, eveidently with out a chainsaw... Magic! A day later when the nets were done, and the girls wanting to follow in the boat we all went and threw what was left in the river to get to the camp and put up on the shore to dry up. We worked together and put up a serious stack in the 7 hours it took to chuck the cut logs in the river, tie them together and barge home.

The main deal about getting the poles dry and peeled was for immediate use, as I cut spruce poles down to build permanent racks there. The racks that were there previously had been cut up and burned by a woman who stayed a winter there. Spruce is great for poles, but in spring its bark gets sappy, and fish dryed on it get spruce sappy in the spots it contacts and makes a foul flavor , so they were just drying for a few days before we set up proper. Gots lots of fish, lots of wood and the cabin in shape after a lotta years of not much use, seems they got that across well enough

Last edited by caribou; November 21, 2013 at 03:46 AM.
Old November 22, 2013, 01:29 PM   #353
3D's

I know you don't know the other members of the show on a personal basis but would you happen to know what the Bassichs' who seem to be arguing all the time ()do for living? He claims to be living off the land and maybe to a point they do but watching the show last week, it showed the two of them floating a small saw mill down the river and then pulling it ashore with a large bull dozer. Now I know you and your family live off the land, the young man (Erik) not being shown makes a decent living guiding and the one taking his place lives a pretty Spartan existence, but how does that couple afford a dozer that probably runs a couple of hundred K's not to mention the saw mill? I sure wish I could afford to live off the land like that. I'm enjoying the new episodes and living vicariously thru them.
Old November 22, 2013, 08:11 PM   #354
caribou

I belive Andy is retired from tug and barge service ontheyoukon, aswell, what he has is 25 years of accumulation. presently they advertize dog mushing tours. Tyr look up on the FB search "life below zero and see Kates page, lots of info.
We hunt and live "lite" he farms and is well placed. Big difference in accumulations, between the farmer and the Hunter, as possessions are litterally a "burden"

Last edited by caribou; November 22, 2013 at 08:32 PM.
Old November 25, 2013, 11:57 AM   #355
Lj1941

Mosin Nagant Loads

Caribou: I am a big fan of the show and also of the Mosin Nagant 762x54R rifles. I own several model 91/30s. I am wondering what load your wife uses for caribou. Does she use factory loads or do you hand load? I apoligize if you have already answered this question as I just discovered this thread. I got my answer to my question about what loads Agnes uses for caribou. I have some Privi Paritisen loads that I haven't tried yet. Good luck with your day in court.The truth will set you free.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Last edited by Lj1941; November 27, 2013 at 08:28 PM. Reason: additional correct errors
Old November 25, 2013, 06:30 PM   #356
DM~

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D's View Post
I know you don't know the other members of the show on a personal basis but would you happen to know what the Bassichs' who seem to be arguing all the time ()do for living?

how does that couple afford a dozer that probably runs a couple of hundred K's not to mention the saw mill?
Trust me, that OLD dozer didn't cost a couple hundred K!! I bet one like that could easily to found for less that 15K, yes even in Alaska!

When i left Ak., i sold one bigger than that, for a lot less than 15K, and the OLD Woodmizer bandsawmill wasn't an extremely high dollar itom either...

DM
Old November 25, 2013, 10:31 PM   #357
Palehorseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D's View Post
I sure wish I could afford to live off the land like that. I'm enjoying the new episodes and living vicariously thru them.

44 years ago Wife and I moved to Alaska with two small children. Knew no one and with zero job prospects, but figured we were smart as the average bears, and if others could make it, so could we.

First work we got was in Seward, squeezing roe out of rotten herring and living in cab over camper. (close quarters made things a bit odoriferous) Bought part of an old homestead acreage with nearest neighbors 6 miles away, dragged in an old 40 foot mobile and no electricity. But with a wood burning stove in an addition I built, it was home. First winter was a bit rough, then went to work offshore for a major oil company and was then smooth sailing.

Few years later, company was impressed enough for transfer to lower 48 for further training, it was an offer with $$ incentive I could not refuse. We all loved the seven years we lived in AK and never regretted the experience.
Old November 28, 2013, 08:56 PM   #358
scaatylobo

Enough

Saw this last show with 'Sue' and I must say ,despite all the talking she does about "getting down & dirty" she NEVER crawled once to get within range of her meat.

She took an offhand shot [ no sticks and no bipod ] and I am amazed that she hit anything.

Sloppy AND unethical ,as well as VERY unproductive.

if your REAL source of meat is shooting game,geez = at least try harder.

I have not seen another hunter that did not use a rest - and or carry one with them.

She has an amazing battery of guns,she must own more than all the others on the show,put together.

But that 'dog don't hunt' sorry if any like her still.

She is very lucky to get by,really.

But she sure as heck don't run out of smokes = funny that,no ?.
Old November 29, 2013, 12:39 AM   #359
MartinS

Tough house.
Old November 29, 2013, 01:49 AM   #360
50 Shooter

I think Sue is a tuff old woman, she's survived multiple bear attacks, lives alone, has thieves for neighbors... Man, give her a break, she does pretty darn well living on her own and dealing with all the drama, not to mention its in Alaska!

I hate the cold and can't imagine living there day in and day out! I could see visiting there in the summer but there's not enough gold in Fort Knox to get me there in the winter!
Sorcerers of death's construction
In the fields the bodies burning
As the war machine keeps turning
Death and hatred to mankind
Poisoning their brainwashed minds, oh lord yeah!
Old November 29, 2013, 11:28 AM   #361
scaatylobo

50 Shooter

I see her as a bit of a mental case ,especially compared to the rest of the featured members of that show.

I dealt with many EDP's as an LEO [ emotional disturbed persons ],she reminds me of many of my 'clients'.

And if you saw the show where she was trying REALLY hard to get her NEEDED meat for the winter,you might see she is the worst hunter I have ever seen on camera.

You actually need to GET ON YOUR BELLY and crawl to get near open plained critters.

You NEED to wear clothing that allows you to get CLOSE.

You NEED to use a rest for your rifle if you plan on taking game cleanly,often,fairly,with ACCURACY.

Glad you like her character and admire her,I would have been thrilled to live as she does = back when I was that young.Yes,I am older than her by a bit.

I had no idea that lifestyle was doable,I might have had a HUGE lifestyle change had I known.
Old November 29, 2013, 09:28 PM   #362
George Dickel

Scaatylobo, if you will read Caribou's posts about this show you will find that even the scenes of his wife shooting at caribou are staged by the camera crew. I would imagine that this is also the case with Sue shooting at the game animals. I also wondered at the range to the caribou she was supposedly shooting at in that scene and it was quite a distance even if she was shooting off sticks or prone. And then for her to be shooting unsupported showed it to be completely staged. I'm no Einstein but even I realized it was just for show.
Old November 30, 2013, 02:12 AM   #363
caribou

Not exactly "Staged" (Que the Caribou!! Annnnnd action!! ~~LOL!!~~)but three Caribou edited into "one" and misses added into editing as well for us....to show "it aint easy" we guess..... As well, they dont want to show "overkill" ...............well............just wait till season two and were makeing Meats for that We got that sorta stuff figured with the editors, and then theres no mercy for real miss's, such as at the Muskrat, but that got figured out quickly and we did well once properly gunned. Often a second gun is along on any important trip because things break and go wrong. Guns are precision tools.

When my wife has her VTK M-39, its pretty sure shell connect, sometimes the first time, sometimes the second, that the way it gos. FOR SURE after the first shot, the rest are moving, and thsi calls for two thieng :1st that Sue had a camera crew in tow, that hasnt improved our stalking abilitys at all, I doubt it improved hers at all.
When my wife has a familiar .22 like her little Marlin "puemper" we call it, a singel shot thats peretty dead on, she out shot the daughter Marys 94 Winchester( that needed some going over) with her old faithfull .22, , so Im thinking Sue was useing a new rifle and hitting high at that, prehaps she wasnt yet familiar with its trajectorys... the extended range would have had her makeing better hits to the body. There definitly are Filmshots taken with no animal being shot, but they want to have a certain "view" so the stick a gopro onthe end of the barrel and look at the shooter and other angles. No "Acted" or "fake" but edited.

I and the wife, and most folks I know use a rest when shooting at standing/still animals, a seat, windsheild, backpack or at least drop to a kneeling 2 point rested shot. The folowing shots are done at spooked and moiveing animals while shooting the rifle on the 'swing' exactly as when shooting birds, apply trigger whilest smoothly following through. In Summer, when I chase Caribou over the Tundra, I have a back pack for the meats and a walking/shooting/harpoon/tent pole/ice chisel/marker on plain tundra, multi tool, and it helps walk the meat load back to a river bank or camp, a great rest ,insted of sitting and hurting the back getting up alone.

The BEST Cammo at that timma year is dark pants and a dark brown Hooded Sweater, beside keeping the misquitos outta your ears and from distracting you, you put the hood on and double over, useing your rifle of bow to stick up like an antler, walking oblique to any animal or group, not straight on, maybe movein parralell and converging over distance, but just ease up to them and dont approach them directly, unless you use cover, like Sue did, and be plain out and open. Often, they will come to you, but looking like a Caribou that way is the best way. Blue jeans are never conductive to Hunting, animals see them way off.

Also, I saw it, When Sue Hit the Caribou, it "humped" as we call it, and every animal that is hit makes a distinct sound and always ,100% reacts in some way. Some flip and trip, some run off, some just graze till they keel over, and in winter blood on snow is visible for 200 yards easily. With enough experiance, you 'know' when you have connected, Everytime...... and Hunting is just that, Hunting, and all it entails in possibilitys and varabilitys.

For "us" I can say we most likely would have try to get the limit, those skins are "parkee hides" perfect for makeing a tradional Inupiaq style parka for sale or use, takes 3 good ones for a single parkee, great $$ for us .....as well August is cooler and drying that meat would be a litteral "breeze' as August tends to be kite weather She said she could get 5 a year, wow...we can get 5 a day....but our local herd is 325,000 animals and les than 10,000 Men Women or Children in the entoire Borough, a bit larger than Indiana...

Last edited by caribou; November 30, 2013 at 04:39 AM.
Old November 30, 2013, 10:32 AM   #364
DM~

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50 Shooter View Post
I think Sue is a tuff old woman, she's survived multiple bear attacks, lives alone, has thieves for neighbors...
I don't think she has any neighbors, just dishonest folks that have planes and land when she isn't there. I once was hired to guard (in the winter) a "twin otter" that went down in a swamp far from town.

I was hired to camp there 24/7 to keep folks from stealing the avionics......yes guys DID come in there to steal things out of the plane!

Multible bear attacks? I missed that, as i only saw her describe one. Then again, one is too many! lol

DM
Old November 30, 2013, 10:47 AM   #365
gym

You don't have to be in Alaska to get your plane or boat stripped. I once saw a 4 million dollar "RIVA", about 65 ft custom boat, stripped in 1 day, in Mexico. On that big rock that is in the middle of the bay. They were delivering it to the owner and ran aground in Acapulco Bay. The next day it was cleaned out, by the time anyone showed up to protect it, it was a total loss.
That was with thousands of people in hotels watching from the beach and their balconies.
Old November 30, 2013, 01:38 PM   #366
scaatylobo

Caribou

I know this is not a "for sale" venue.

But I am sure I am not the only one here that would LOVE to have real native made wearable stuff.

that being the case,I do not buy stuff online as I do not believe it was made by hand and by natives of North America.

If you say its so,then I would be VERY interested in what your wife or family make and how can I buy it ?.

Bone jewelry and the like,as from the bones and ivory your allowed [ your wife that is ] from old bone yardsI would like to buy some from y'all.

Also any and all manner of hide clothing.

And I might not be the only one here,think that is doable ?.
Old November 30, 2013, 03:48 PM   #367
gym

That's a great idea scaatylobo, I would think that if need be, you could easily set up an eBay type store, all from the computer", and get a revenue stream going for your family, "if you found that feasible".
Old November 30, 2013, 08:04 PM   #368
Palehorseman

The state of Alaska confiscates more than a few planes. I remember few decades ago some big name TV evangelist flew his private jet into a remote area landing strip and he circled around few times before landing. Same day, he then went and shot a moose he had spotted, whoops a big no no. In AK thou shalt not fly into a area, land and hunt on the same day, state levied a big fine, confiscated his jet, guns and all other gear.
Old December 1, 2013, 04:00 PM   #369
50 Shooter

As far as the multiple bear attacks, she was attacked while sleeping. I think that was the one she talked about in the first or second episode. The other was when she was out hunting, she said the bear was under a ridge, popped up and got ahold of her.

I wouldn't say I admire her, I think she's a tuff old woman living up there. Yeah she might have a screw loose, more then likely as people like her like to live isolated. From what I've seen, yeah she's not the greatest hunter but at least she gets out there and tries. Yes, she could do a better job but I think she either doesn't want to or just feels to old to put that much effort into it.

I thought it was pretty crappy that someone stole almost all her fuel and stole a couple of her firearms. I'm sure it was someone that knows her and knew she was away having surgery.
Sorcerers of death's construction
In the fields the bodies burning
As the war machine keeps turning
Death and hatred to mankind
Poisoning their brainwashed minds, oh lord yeah!
Old December 1, 2013, 04:42 PM   #370
Deog

Just read this entire thread front to back. AWESOME. Caribou, i commend you on your life style. Your sense of family and work ethic are something that is missing from our society today. I have watched 1/2 dozen episodes and find you to be educating, you have a way of explaining things i appreciate it very much.
Caribou, are lever guns problematic in the extreme cold ? does the action freeze up easier then say a typical bolt gun ?

As far as Sue goes, i get that she is a bit socially retarded, but i feel 1, she is edited this way, 2 is someone that lives where she is by choice, when i say by choice i mean that she really does not want to have interaction with many other 2 legged things. No matter what, it is a tough existence where she is and being solo.
Completely different life then i have in southern California where the temps hit 78 today.

Anyway, cheers and good luck in your endeavors, hope it all works out in court for you and your family.

Sidebar, one thing i have noticed is that it seems that most of the AST are white males, do they have a superiority complex over native people and there lifestyle.
Old December 1, 2013, 11:23 PM   #371
caribou

What happend to me and those with us as to AST and interaction with Natives on that fatefull day, I'm quite 'white', and I did not see any thing racial about their crimes against us that day, not before or since, either. Others may have been misstreated, racially, as life go's by, but I have never seen anything AST doing racialy or with a supiority complex, I would have stopped it, I would have reported it, and rememeberd it. I have always found them to be professional, untill I met those two, and their work mates, those that stand and do nothing.. Hopefully the people of Alaska will be protected from them soon.Time marches on.

As to lever action rifle and pump action rifles are popular, excelt the lever tends to dig into a guy whos carrying a rifle far. As well, gloves and such in a lever arnt alwats easy. Pump .22 are about one of the best rifles a guy could own here. Bolt action rifles raraely bind, but they do frost, split stocks (plastic shatters) snap off sights, ect, buy semi's are the ones you really can trust, 'cept an AK.
I personally like the m-39 Mosin for all the attributes Ive mentioned on theis thread, hard to beat, and were not "survivalists" were just Hunters, and takeing out a rifle that works and hits is still important.

Despite the detailed descriptions, Sue has good reason at least to be Bear shy. Weve never had Bear problems, but I just take her word for it. The only folks that could steal the gas would be airplanes. where to fly with that quantity is a good question.

We make and sell arts and crafts aboout as fast as we can make them. this year we froze up and tanning began, as we keepthe pelts and hides dry untill its frezing to kep them from shedding. well a week into it, it went back up to 40 above and drizzel, FOR THREE WEEKS!!! soooooo, were a bit behind in tanning and sewing right now, but the wifes got a nice Ink on Sealskin comming along at the head of the bed., Ill post a picture when I find a camera. As well, Museums buy up the high end stuff pretty quickly. sometimes we do whole displays, depends on the year.
Old December 2, 2013, 09:50 AM   #372
scaatylobo

Good to hear

"We make and sell arts and crafts aboout as fast as we can make them. this year we froze up and tanning began, as we keepthe pelts and hides dry untill its frezing to kep them from shedding. well a week into it, it went back up to 40 above and drizzel, FOR THREE WEEKS!!! soooooo, were a bit behind in tanning and sewing right now, but the wifes got a nice Ink on Sealskin comming along at the head of the bed., Ill post a picture when I find a camera. As well, Museums buy up the high end stuff pretty quickly. sometimes we do whole displays, depends on the year."

I still would like to the chance to buy stuff from a tribe/family that I know gets the profits directly and not through a 3 rd party.

I still find Sue to be a bit too strange to want to break bread with her,on the other hand the rest of the "stars" are people that I would LOVE to share a meal & a fire with.

Uh but not the battling couple,he needs some anger management !__
Old December 3, 2013, 09:46 AM   #373
bassdogs

Drama seems to be the producers delight in these reality outdoor shows. LBZero seems to be on the lighter side of that, but they still like to mold the characters into "bigger" than life and all too often not how they appear on camera. I have to say, I don't get the "anger" or the "dictatorial" family structure that the producers would have us believe is the norm in Bush Alaska. Another show [Yukon Men], if you believe what they show, seems to focus on the father / son thing with on one hand the desire of fathers to pass on the traditional lifestyle and Ways, while making it clear that the sons are nothing more than free labor who are treated with less respect than captured slaves. Leaves me wondering how many of the sons rebel around age 18 and strike out on their own just to get out from under the boot of their fathers. The fathers seem surprised and betrayed when it happens, but I find it totally predictable.

Wondering how this works in the real world. Do sons reach an age of passage and step out into the village life as adults or do a high percentage decide to head to the city or in Alaska, the north slope?
Old December 3, 2013, 11:33 AM   #374
krupparms

Hey what a great show! Caribou, I was watching the other night & saw what looked like a 1911& a snubnose revolver that looked like a .357. Is that what I saw & do the kids carry handguns for protection against bears? As far as 'Sue ' hey cut her some slack guys ! At least she has the courage to live out her dreams! It would be hard on anyone to live her life! I admire her as she is all alone most of the time! Getting attacked while sleeping by a bear would make anyone paranoid I would think! Caribou, I am glad to see the way you live. I wish I could live that way. But my chemical exposur'e keeps me near a hospital & under care I could not get there. When I had a family we hunted & made stuff also. It was a good life & I miss it. Watching the show brings back good memories. Good luck &I hope your show lasts many seasons.
Old December 3, 2013, 06:37 PM   #375
caribou

""Wondering how this works in the real world. Do sons reach an age of passage and step out into the village life as adults or do a high percentage decide to head to the city or in Alaska, the north slope?""

Depends onthe kids and family , I would say.

most kids sit in school nowdaya dn people who are not from the area educate them, often on what they think is "eskimo' or what not.
I homeschooled my kids for years, and the cirriculum was outside. Call it "slave work' or whatever, but hard work is actually good for kids tolearn, and the way my dad taught me was we were gonna work.....smiling, or crying, it was gonna be done, so lets have a good time......we choose to be happy.

Right of passage, around here, ina tradional sense, comes when a kid gets his first animals; and is at least recognized by everyone through observence that they are a competent Hunter, and they do as they do "OR" as for most nowdays, a highschool diploma and the kid leaves the vilage or trys to catch up on learning how to make a living locally. its odd to see collage educated guys being supported , at least partially, by those who quit school in 7 grade or so.

We gave our kids both, a western education and one on the land/sea. we lived in camps and tents for years, untill the school district shut down the homeschooling program, then we moved to a village and we put our kids into a school, our oldest then spent 2 years in highschool, and graduated Valadictorian. He hunts for a living now, and live with his wife and kids in a house they own , in her village, along the southern shore of Kotzebue sound.

The second oldest son came home one day and told us he had just completeed his GED and quit school to hunt........ we couldnt undo that , and he also Hunts for a living, and live with his woman and two kids in the next village east of us.

All of our kids have more choices, through education in and out of "School" and can thrive anywhere. As well, they can outwork most, physicly, and theres not a damn thing wrong with that. The can all provide for themselfs and others, and no matter what job or carrer or lifestyle they choose, Im confident that they will be wht we raised them to be; Providers.

Theres one difference to "Yukon Men" and us, at least the "Hailstones" segment is that for us there is no acting at all, no scripting, just write the story after it happend and relate that, and thats up to the editors, theaction and story line are up to me and the wife. we cant remember lines or act, and we dont have time. If we acted for production, the $ woukldnt compensate for the food/materials/furs/firewood heat.

Im not Inupiaq, so they cannot portray me passing on "tradional Knowlage', as they can with my wife and daughters, so I step back and the focus it rightfully on them.

As well, the sons are grown and out with their own familys, and as you catch glimpses of them around the fishing camps,(Doug at his Fish camp, Jon hunting Mammoth) fishing isnt what me and them were up to, we were hunting and getting wood, makeing repairs, but the camera can only be one place at a time, and when your on a boat or on a snowmachine, the filming is pretty limited while underway, and teh fishing is a much more "sure thang" whikle hunting is just that, and they have enough film of us getting wood to heat the house by burning film for a week straights. Fact is, the dont put alotta film time to me and the sons, and its understandable.The sons come and go all the time and thats not good for filming , either. The others on the program are alone or a couple, were allover the place with 7 kids and 8 grand kids, so Im sure they cannot get us all in

Theres no dictators in Inupiaq society, it was a divided labor standard; Men and Women worked on equal footing and both could do eachothers job, and get a good living out of it.

Often its easy to see hwere the work gets divided; Where its warm, there is a Woman. where its Cold, there is a Man. My wife is my equal, and I am hers, and long ago Eskimo figured out that they were all equal, and had no cheifs, no heirarchy outside of parents and kids and extended family. Treat them well and they will treat you well seems to be a common occurence here.

Last edited by caribou; December 3, 2013 at 08:56 PM.