Quantcast
Life Below Zero - Page 16 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Social Situations > General Gun Discussions

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old December 3, 2013, 06:55 PM   #376
CaribouFan

Every first season of a "reality" show is a hit or miss proposition. When the show catches on, as LBZ has done, the changes start to appear. There are many more producer-driven scripted scenes which occur after the first season. Yes, "reality" TV is scripted.

The Hailstones are instructed to "live their normal life"… however, there is a plot result that the producers need to keep viewers interested in the show. Caribou may or may not directly agree, as I'm not too sure what he can divulge re LBZ. However, from reading his replies, he has been very truthful re what happens with his part on the show.

It's very interesting that many feel that Andy needs anger management. IMO, Andy doesn't need anything, except some favorable editing! If Kate accepts and loves Andy (and his frustrations), what's the problem? I love watching Andy and his reactions to living in the seclusion of the Alaskan bush! Really, who wouldn't lash out at the nearest structure or person when faced with some of his living conditions and trying to make them better? Andy may yell at Kate, but that's about it… and Kate understands Andy. I hope they keep Andy just the way he is!

Erik Salitan is one focused under-30-year-old whose enjoyment of his chosen lifestyle comes through on LBZ. Enjoy watching Erik and how he gets through his daily life in the Brookes Range.

This brings up the guy who the producers felt was necessary while Erik is off doing his regular job as a hunting guide. The hunters Erik was guiding probably were not interested in being filmed as part of a "reality" show and just having the film crew along on a paid hunt would be more of a nuisance than it's worth.

Therefore, LBZ introduces another single-guy character… really cannot even remember his name. He's just as annoying as all those mosquitoes he's battling constantly! He's creepy. Just plain creepy. While Erik is enjoyable (not sure if that is the right word here!) to watch; this guy is a chore. He treats his life in AK as a chore and maybe that's why I don't care to watch him or hear his whiny voice. He explained that he had a wife and child(ren) who he ditched to live in AK, so he's definitely one of those who is attracted to AK as a place to run. In contrast to Erik, this guy spends half of the year in Fairbanks! OK, enough about the guy whose name I can't even remember… I change the channel or FF him when he shows up on LBZ. He's creepy.

Sue Aikens. KavikSue! Sue's reason for being on LBZ is not for her hunting ability, as many here have pointed out that she doesn't have much ability in that area! Sue being on LBZ is for showing that a woman can survive in the brutal living conditions at Kavik. That's just my take on KavikSue. I realize that it is a frightening situation that she has lived through. I cannot imagine being at the mercy of an animal as huge as a grizzly bear and as powerful! Sue described her bear attack and if I recall correctly, the bear had her head in his/her jaws; dropped her suddenly by the Kavik River; Sue then dragged herself back to her shelter and waited for ten days until someone found her near death. Now that would be a reason to constantly be thinking that you're going to be bear food. Sue, IMO, is a very kind person and is enjoyable to watch and to listen. I don't mind her repeatedly saying that she's going to be eaten; or her take on any part of her lifestyle. She has stated that she chose this life and wouldn't have it any other way. A few people have brought up the prices at her KavikRiverCamp: $10 for a bottle of water; $25 for a shower, etc. After watching how she gets her supplies, it's understandable that she would charge the paying guests at her camp the amounts that she does. There's also the fact that there is no competing camp! Sue could probably charge $20 for that bottle of water and people would gladly pay it! Sue always has an analogy or a personal story which adds to the drama on LBZ. The way she conveys her stories, to me, is humorous.

The "my freezer's empty" story line for Sue was obviously a producer's idea. Certainly, Sue knows when she's running out of the meat which she says she must eat every day because she's anemic… Sue's not that dumb! Sue knows every item in her camp, yet is surprised when she opens her freezer to find that she's almost out of caribou? There's a producer's paw print all over that scene!! Sue lives a life which many could not survive a week; I know that I couldn't! So, I do admire Sue for doing what she wants and living the life she loves. There's only one thing that bugs me about the KavikSue part of LBZ, and that is the theft of the tanks of fuel. Wouldn't there be any leads on who took that fuel? There hasn't been much said about who may have stolen that huge amount of fuel. Sue has to have some idea of who the thieves are.

My favorite part of LBZ is the Hailstones. I watch in utter amazement at how this family unit works together. How respectful they are towards each other. How Chip and Agnes are teaching their children essential life skills to survive on their own in the AK environment. While many would be gasping at the thought of a rifle or a gun as a birthday present for a girl, I am loving the fact that the Hailstone daughter was delighted as she opened her box of presents. Happy Hailstones!

Agnes Hailstone is simply a woman of unimaginable talents! A mother, wife, provider, seamstress, hunter, fisher, cook and above all, a dead-on shot! Chip Hailstone embraces his wife's talents and encourages her, which in turn teaches his daughters how to live their lives as adults. For the many who have said that they would watch a show about the Hailstones, I agree. However, would be afraid that an hour-long show would be totally producer-driven and that would take away from the more realistic views which we see of the Hailstones in their segments on LBZ. The Hailstones are the highlights of LBZ.

Someone also mentioned "Yukon Men"… that is another show which has caught on and, like LBZ, the producers hands can be seen in the phony plot lines. For instance, a wolf has to be hunted and killed because the annual dog sled race is going on in Tanana and the producers kick up the drama with their voiceovers… imagine what would happen if these dangerous wolf packs aren't stopped! The wolves could kill the children who are in Tanana for the dog sled race. How dramatic!! There are more examples of how YM is going "phony," but will keep on point about LBZ!

As I've mentioned previously, I have no rifle skills or know how to shoot, but love watching LBZ and am glad that my opinions are accepted here on a gun forum. I do hope that Caribou's legal problems are helped now that he's gotten a good attorney, as that makes all the difference! I could go on about that issue forever… money talks in the legal system, plain and simple! Good luck, Caribou and please keep us informed about your case (if you can)!
Old December 3, 2013, 10:19 PM   #377
scaatylobo

Ok

So the Hailstones are THE best part of the show = agreed.

And I can enjoy the rest of them [ cept the loud asshat that yells at his wife ] BUT as to Sue,sorry cant abide a person making an idjit out of themselves for the camera.

we all know that she MUST know each and every piece of material in that camp ,INCLUDING all the food she has.

So being a hunter and watching her shoot "For the meat she NEEDS to survive" was beyond silly.Bordering on idiotic.

I have seen a few bad hunters and a few sloppy hunters,and they ALL to a man or woman don't look half that bad.

Its a personal problem with those who waste meat,hunt badly or illegally.

If that's too annoying to any here,glad you don't mind seeing "drama" in place of reality.

btw,of all those on the show its Sue that has it the easiest as she has shelter,radio,computers,planes in & out,heat GUNS oh and don't forget her CONSTANT supply of ciggarreettes = and yes the bears.

Seems to me the rest of the "stars" have it MUCH tougher.
Old December 3, 2013, 10:51 PM   #378
caribou

Sue is lucky not to have Polar Bears all year round, like the Men and Women who live North of her do, especcially in the Polar Night.
My father inlaw used togo up there for the winters in the 1920' and Hunt/trap when Arctic Fox and Polar Bear were high in price.

Stuipid question; what was tonights episode about? Salmon? Im fairly sure thats gotta be it. I hope the girls did well on that one
Old December 3, 2013, 11:17 PM   #379
Bob Bonillas

Kavick Sue/scaatylobo

You are repeating yourself. You made your point and your opinion on the show in your earlier post. I agree with Cariboufan , I have emailed KavickSue and she did reply. I was going to go to AK during summer but will probably do a cruise by ship
Old December 4, 2013, 07:57 AM   #380
ghitch75

yes caribou it was about salmon....
Old December 4, 2013, 09:34 AM   #381
bassdogs

bou - understand your family and how you, wife, and kids interact. You have explained it very well. My question with the previous post was why the producers [Yukon M] which I know is a different show, would choose to focus so much attention on the interaction of fathers and sons and give it such a negative overtone. Can understand that some sons [or daughters] get with the program better than others but the show seems to imply that the fathers never want to let the sons step out on their own lives and when they do seem hurt and surprised like they didn't see it coming.

Maybe my use of the term traditional was missguided, because I wasn't trying to imply just the native people's heritage. During my visits to Ak I met numerous people who's fathers and grandfathers lived there with many dating to the early gold rush times. I consider them to be native alaskan's who have lived a subsistance lifestyle for generations. Passing that on to their sons and daughters but giving them a choice to where they take their lives. It is clear that you and your wife want to pass the skills of that heritage on to the kids, but without the "you will do it or else" pressure.
Old December 4, 2013, 10:29 AM   #382
scaatylobo

Bob Bonillas

Oh gee willikers

I am so sorry that I posted my opinion AGAIN as it seems that many keep taking the other side of my points.

SO,enjoy your visit with 'sue' [ Kavik = not ] and bring her lots of smokes and see how pleasant she is in person [ maybe ? ].

But her hunting ethics [ LACK thereof ] and her general mental state are not items that I see a valid point made in her favor.

This is still a free country and as I recall the FIRST freedom is that of speech & press,this is my use of my freedom ! .
Old December 4, 2013, 05:13 PM   #383
CaribouFan

Caribou: The show was mostly about creepy guy walking 60 miles to hitch a ride to Fairbanks! Good riddance… hope he stay in Fairbanks with the child that he says he'll be surprised to see how much he's changed/grown! He's weird and creepy.

The Hailstones were shown being awoken to get to their fish camp. The fish net was installed in the river and a bounty was caught. Geez, that salmon looked so good!!! We buy "fresh AK salmon" from someone whose brother sends the salmon from AK. After watching the Hailstones catch salmon, the salmon I buy is hardly fresh!! LOL!!! Loved watching Agnes teach your daughters how to properly clean/cut the salmon.

Andy and Kate were shown building the foundation for their dream house. I don't care that Andy yells… as Kate explained on the show, his yelling is overshadowed by his other great character traits.

Now, what did KavikSue do? Oh, yeah… she repaired her canvas roof. The drama was "what would happen if she fell from on top of the 24 ft. canvas roof?" She was glad that her cousin (?) was there to help… if you're gonna be king, you have to have someone to boss around. That's what she said, kinda!

Great show! Glad creepy guy is gone. Was kind of hoping he would twist his ankle or fall in the river. I know that I wouldn't pick him up seein' him hitchhiking! LOL!!!
Old December 4, 2013, 07:40 PM   #384
kc.38

Caribou, I enjoy watching you interact with your children and your wife. It is interesting how your children "appear" to be so compliant and go about their tasks without a lot of complaining and moaning. Is it possible that the reason is that their peers are also working with their families so it is considered the norm and therefore they do not have friends telling them they do not have to work? It would seem that even though they grew up watching you and Agnus work hard, that does not always "override" the influence coming from their nonworking friends.
I appreciate you allowing us to see how you live and provide for your family. There is no way I would allow my life to be laid open for all to see and pass judgment on me by what they see in about 10 mins a week of edited video.

I for one like Andy. He is a go-getter. He has big plans and is not afraid to put in the work to see it completed. I agree that he may not always be the greatest guy to be around, but it takes a certain type of person to make a go- of-it in that harsh climate. If he was a wimp he would be setting in a chair in the lower 48 complaining how some guy does things while he is living the life that most of us would be afraid to even consider doing.
Old December 4, 2013, 08:20 PM   #385
CaribouFan

Forgot to say earlier that I love Andy and Kate! They accept and love each other. Big deal, he yells in frustration as he is a TypeA and is easy to reach that frustration point. I take into consideration the time, patience and thoughtfulness he put into make Kate's beautiful silver necklace.

Just writing this as I'm re-watch LBZ again on HD… so much better than watching on an old Sony!

Also forgot: Does Sue or NatGeo realize that when Sue says to the aeronautical fuel pilot over the CB radio, "You saved my biscuit".. what that means??? I laugh every time she says that. And KavikSue's "boo-yah"… like she's some old Marine! Does anyone know if she is a Marine??

Also, why is it that on YukonMen they can't find any salmon and on LBZ, the salmon just swims into the nets? Obviously, Agnes knows where to put those nets!
Old December 4, 2013, 08:29 PM   #386
Bob Bonillas

scaatylobo, maybe if you post the same thing enough times, some one will agree with you? Your description is accurate. I enjoy watching the show even though you don't like it(the show)
Old December 5, 2013, 01:52 AM   #387
caribou

Yaaaaaa, I saw the episode tonight, via link We enjoyed it all together, and it was probly the best.

Yukon men is a different production entirely. I dont know about them, I dont watch, but to sorta answer the question, theres one or the other sons of ours were around and they didnt film me and them much, as we tended to leave the fishing to the women and concentrated on building repairs and finnishing as well as hunting wit the boat. They showed almost no interaction , outside of Jon mammoth Hunting with us actaully, although youll see either of both boys in most all episodes in the perfery.

It was a very ggod show for sure
Old December 5, 2013, 03:34 AM   #388
blarby
Contributing Member

Quote:
If you say its so,then I would be VERY interested in what your wife or family make and how can I buy it ?.
I'd be very interested as well- as I've stated before.

Especially in gloves and boots.

The Reloading section Pay it Forward thread. Here
Old December 5, 2013, 01:17 PM   #389
Queen_of_Thunder

Location: Where God purifies the soul. The West Texas desert.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaatylobo View Post
So the Hailstones are THE best part of the show = agreed.

And I can enjoy the rest of them [ cept the loud asshat that yells at his wife ] BUT as to Sue,sorry cant abide a person making an idjit out of themselves for the camera.

we all know that she MUST know each and every piece of material in that camp ,INCLUDING all the food she has.

So being a hunter and watching her shoot "For the meat she NEEDS to survive" was beyond silly.Bordering on idiotic.

I have seen a few bad hunters and a few sloppy hunters,and they ALL to a man or woman don't look half that bad.

Its a personal problem with those who waste meat,hunt badly or illegally.

If that's too annoying to any here,glad you don't mind seeing "drama" in place of reality.

btw,of all those on the show its Sue that has it the easiest as she has shelter,radio,computers,planes in & out,heat GUNS oh and don't forget her CONSTANT supply of ciggarreettes = and yes the bears.

Seems to me the rest of the "stars" have it MUCH tougher.
What borders on the silly side is your reaction to a TV show and one of the people the show follows. The one thing you fail to notice is Caribou has a family and a village whereas Sue is out by herself. Serious difference there. That alone is a significant hardship and yet she has managed to deal with it. Can you? Not only that she has survived a bear attack and still went back to live where the attack happened. She did not move to a city to be safe. She went back into the fray so to speak. Add in the fact that she apparently has thieves for neighbors that stole food and fuel while she was away that too is also a hardship. One can easily say that she has more to worry about from 2 legged animal than the 4 legged kind.

Your comments on here shooting style is simply off base. If one takes the time to use sticks or a back pack for a rest that time you take can be the difference between getting off a shot or not being able to take a shot. In fact I personally find that I shoot better from a standing position than I do from a sitting or prone position. Its probably because when taking a standing shot I concentrate on the fundamentals more vs a bench rest shot where my concentration is not as focused.

Yet what it boils down to is you appear to be jealous of Sue. My guess is you do not like strong independent women. Of course you won't be the first male who when faced with a strong and independent woman feels threatened and has to tear them down so they can feel confident and secure in themselves.
Old December 5, 2013, 03:16 PM   #390
50 Shooter

Okay, let's stop arguing about Sue as we don't need the thread closed. Lets agree to disagree that some like her and some don't. Personally I like her as the way she comes off with the doom and gloom makes me laugh. Heck she laughs at it also, so enjoy the show and change the channel when she comes on.
Sorcerers of death's construction
In the fields the bodies burning
As the war machine keeps turning
Death and hatred to mankind
Poisoning their brainwashed minds, oh lord yeah!
Old December 5, 2013, 03:33 PM   #391
CaribouFan

50 Shooter: How interesting to start by saying 'let's all agree to disagree" re Sue. And then you add your two cents! A bit on the passive/aggressive side, don't ya think? Also interesting is that you insisted on having the last word re Sue! WOW.

Last edited by CaribouFan; December 5, 2013 at 04:00 PM.
Old December 5, 2013, 03:57 PM   #392
CaribouFan

Creepy weird glenn

Don't know if anyone here finds Glenn as creepy as I do. I found it laughable that he "bear proofed" his CANVAS house out in the middle of nowhere by attaching a piece of plywood to cover his window. How in the hell is a thin piece of plywood going to prevent a half-ton grizzly bear from getting into a canvas house???

IMO, this guy is way off center and I really hope that the people at LBZ read this forum, as I, for one, do not want to see his face on my TV screen when watching LBZ next season. After doing a bit more research re "creepy guy" find it quite strange that 1) he wants to be totally isolated; yet he goes back to Fairbanks 2) his idol is Heimo Korth; however, unlike Heimo, Glenn does not live at all like Heimo 3)in total contrast to his idol, creepy guy ducks out of the responsibility of raising his child … and the strangest item re CreepyGuy is this: 4)CreepyGuy wants nothing to do with 'society'… but, he started his own FacebookPage last month!

CreepyGuy is obviously looking for "fans" to keep himself on LBZ via his FB page! If you notice on his FB page, he picks and chooses which questions he answers. Most questions are ignored… this one is an example:

"You may have already answered this, but wondering what your background is, i.e., are you a born and bread Alaskan? What about your parents, siblings, etc."

CreepyGuy is a bundle of contradictions, which is NOT good if you're putting your life out for the world (or at the least the US) to see/judge/talk about!

Get Erik Salitan back ASAP and ditch this phony whining creepy weird guy STAT!!

This is CreepyGuy's FB page: https://www.facebook.com/glenn.villeneuve Heimo Korth never had a FB page...

Last edited by CaribouFan; December 5, 2013 at 05:38 PM.
Old December 5, 2013, 04:44 PM   #393
MrMarty51

[Quote from Cartibou]
"Then we all gatherd (film guys and us) and went back to the shot Wolf and retrived it, and you 'll hear me say "He's been dead for an hour or so", because he was, and he was freeezing. We always meet back at where we dropped off our sleds, a good way to meetup or at least track down someone who hasnt shown up yet, and brought em up there to skin and drink hot tea."

I was wondering why that carcass was stiffening up so, when a leg was moved. LOL
Been watching this show since I seen it advertized, before it went on the air.
I`m a lovin it.

Caribou, I live in Eastern part of Montana, Miles City, what part of Montana, did You come from ??? Just curious.

I have been to Alaska several times, My son moved there from Billings, He has My three grandchildren held captive over there, and so, if I want to see them, I have to go there, He does`nt like coming to the lower 48 and so, We must go there to see them.
'Been there in the winter, spring, summer and fall. Last trip over was the 17th of July 13, hung out there for 2 and a 1/2 months, had a great time, fishing, blue Berries, gold panning and a bit of hiking too, also got invited to do a Moose hunt with My friend that I`ve known for a long time, a real journey to say the least, I also got a first hand experience with a "Sweeper" when navigating, driving the boat on the Teklanika River, just about "Sweeperd" me and Rolly right out of the boat. LOL
I do know what the cold is, I have camped at over 20 below and ice skate the Yellowstone River at Miles City, when I was a lot younger, trapping for foxes and anything else that`d take the bait, had a lot of fun.
I adore the life You and Your family lives, loved the log barging scene too and gathering of the poles.
This show gives a LOT of insight into what it takes, or, does`nt take to live in those conditions, that seems harsh to some, but to those that live there, is just another day in Paradise.
I too had been thinking, WOW, it`d be nice to have a full suit of furs, that`d be GREAT for fishing through the ice. I bet those clothes are snuggly warm and not so bulky like the Arctic Extreme Carharts that I don on for fishing. Good to know that Your wife and family is rewarded nicely for their labors, by selling to the museums and such. Maybe I have seen some of their work, in the Anchorage Air terminal, I thinking i seen a display there.
It looks to Me like Your wife could show up most anyone in the shooting competitions, especially at the moving targuts. LOL
I Love it.
MrMarty

Last edited by MrMarty51; December 5, 2013 at 04:52 PM.
Old December 5, 2013, 08:53 PM   #394
MartinS

Ah, so wunderbar to watch a group of people as they find some one to hate. Reminds me of those happy days when the streets were ours.
Old December 5, 2013, 09:17 PM   #395
DM~

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaribouFan View Post
Don't know if anyone here finds Glenn as creepy as I do. I found it laughable that he "bear proofed" his CANVAS house out in the middle of nowhere by attaching a piece of plywood to cover his window. How in the hell is a thin piece of plywood going to prevent a half-ton grizzly bear from getting into a canvas house???

IMO, this guy is way off center and I really hope that the people at LBZ read this forum, as I, for one, do not want to see his face on my TV screen when watching LBZ next season. After doing a bit more research re "creepy guy" find it quite strange that 1) he wants to be totally isolated; yet he goes back to Fairbanks 2) his idol is Heimo Korth; however, unlike Heimo, Glenn does not live at all like Heimo 3)in total contrast to his idol, creepy guy ducks out of the responsibility of raising his child … and the strangest item re CreepyGuy is this: 4)CreepyGuy wants nothing to do with 'society'… but, he started his own FacebookPage last month!

CreepyGuy is obviously looking for "fans" to keep himself on LBZ via his FB page! If you notice on his FB page, he picks and chooses which questions he answers. Most questions are ignored… this one is an example:

"You may have already answered this, but wondering what your background is, i.e., are you a born and bread Alaskan? What about your parents, siblings, etc."

CreepyGuy is a bundle of contradictions, which is NOT good if you're putting your life out for the world (or at the least the US) to see/judge/talk about!

Get Erik Salitan back ASAP and ditch this phony whining creepy weird guy STAT!!

This is CreepyGuy's FB page: https://www.facebook.com/glenn.villeneuve Heimo Korth never had a FB page...
Well, you keep saying you "turn the channel" when Glen comes on, maybe if you didn't do that, you'd have more of your questions answered.

Like i heard him say, that he "didn't prefer to live alone"...ect...

DM
Old December 5, 2013, 10:34 PM   #396
CaribouFan

DM: How bizarre. I have no questions for CreepyGuy; nor did I say that I had any questions. Please read the comment again. You obviously did not comprehend the message.

I will continue to FF or turn off LBZ when CreepyGuy appears. Strange guy attracts like-minded "fans"!
Old December 5, 2013, 11:03 PM   #397
DM~

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaribouFan View Post
DM: How bizarre. I have no questions for CreepyGuy; nor did I say that I had any questions. Please read the comment again. You obviously did not comprehend the message.

I will continue to FF or turn off LBZ when CreepyGuy appears. Strange guy attracts like-minded "fans"!
Yup, unlike you, i did live in Alaska for a LONG time, so i just might be creepy too???

I figured it was better to go do something myself, rather than sit around on a couch and wine about how someone else is doing it. lol

DM
Old December 6, 2013, 12:01 AM   #398
DPris

Does a fun thread about an interesting show have to turn into a sniping war?
No good reason whatever to turn this one ugly & get it shut down.
Denis
Old December 6, 2013, 12:14 AM   #399
50 Shooter

Dpris,
I tried as far as Sue went but got crapped on for it, I was supposedly trying to get the last word in! All I want is to see this thread stay open, I like others like to hear about life in Alaska.
Sorcerers of death's construction
In the fields the bodies burning
As the war machine keeps turning
Death and hatred to mankind
Poisoning their brainwashed minds, oh lord yeah!
Old December 6, 2013, 02:43 AM   #400
caribou

Ok........first, I'm from Kalispell Mt. home of the Flathead Braves!! Going to Miles City was a threat from our guidence councilors ~~LOL!!~~ but truly its alot like Alaska, Big, widely varied and both flat and mountained , but with a Coast, so from Glacier park to sealevel was a big change I was 19 and came to visit some family up here and didnt leave. back then, 25$ an hour was a big reason to stay.

Well, from what I know, Glenns wife and kids used to live there with him up there, they are who he go's to in town when hes able. I think he does his part as best his circumstances allow.

Also, the other characters are singular, Glenn, Eric, Sue and Kate and Andy dont have young kids around, but we do, se were all over too, not rooted down to one place, so filming us is difficult and they pick and choose between what were all up to, and whrere were going, if it were simply "me" then the camera would cronical me as closely as the others.

Old timer's like Heimo Korinth, Bob Ule, Dave Miller and others around here and on the east end , heck, all ove rthe state are on private claims, homesteds, deed lands and some lived there before they became federal lands and could only allow decent via family or relinquished to the Gov. Theres quite a few up in the Fed lands here reaching old age, Heimo is a well known one, as ANWAR ( I belive) is closed to even the Athapaskans to build anywhere on lands they once roamed as semi nomads (and therfor no claim to lands or permanent structrs), but the odd trapping cabins and more likely tent sites and cache's....a permit is a 15$ pice of paper that lets a guy trap and tent anywhere, its quite wide open, often , no fee is needed. Alot of lands here are Fed, some State, lots privately owned in common with a land manageing corp that has 'shareholders" and they keep it fencless, roadless and the devolpment to a minimum (but not completly anti-development, just carefull) and this allows our ways to be viable and legal. When fences go up, or roads come in, the Hunting Life will end. The feds will at least let folks use tents and thats good enough I guess.

Whats cool is when Im passsing along a trail of some trapper and I ssee their kids fixing up new meat racks and cache's, you know that kids gonna use 'em.