Quantcast
Remington 1911 R1 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Handguns: Autoloaders

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!


If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old June 2, 2013, 04:26 PM   #1
Ole Humpback
Member
 
 
Join Date: December 29, 2010
Location: IN, USA
Posts: 415
Remington 1911 R1

I recently bought a brand new Remington 1911 R1. Its a great no frills gun. I field stripped it before firing and Remington did a great job on packaging it. All it takes to disassemble it is to turn the barrel bushing, remove the spring plug and the rest is cake. Getting it back together is a bit of a trick from handling the spring plug and bushing wrench in the same hand, but thats not a problem in and of itself.

Put 50 rounds through it yesterday and aside from 3 problems feeding (this is most likely the magazine still getting broke in as the feed issue always happened with two rounds left in the mag, need to see if its just one mag or both of them) the gun shot very consistently. My shooting needs to improve a lot (I was having trouble shooting a 4" group at 5yds), but it was a lot of fun to shoot.

I look forward to learning the ins and outs of this gun.
__________________
"Salus populi suprema lex esto" - Latin for "The welfare of the people shall be the supreme law"

"Si vis pacem, para bellum" - Latin for "If you wish for peace, prepare for war"

Quite fitting for the 2A if you ask me.
Ole Humpback is offline  
Old June 2, 2013, 07:57 PM   #2
KTXdm9
Member
 
 
Join Date: March 4, 2012
Location: Katy, TX
Posts: 525
Congrats on your purchase. Pics are always nice.
KTXdm9 is offline  
Old June 2, 2013, 08:19 PM   #3
rcmodel
Contributing Member
 
 
Join Date: September 17, 2007
Location: Eastern KS
Posts: 49,372
There is a way to take down a 1911 and put it back together without any need to fight the recoil spring plug.

Pull the slide back to the take-down notch, and push out the slide stop.

Now wrap your hand around the slide and dust cover and slowly let the slide go foreward off the rail.
While holding the compressed recoil spring in your fingers.

Once the slide assembly is off, you can pluck out the recoil spring and guide.
And have your way with the barrel bushing free of spring tension.

You can put it back together the same way.

rc
__________________
Don't put all your eggs in one basket.
Or all your primers in a glass jar!
rcmodel is offline  
Old June 2, 2013, 08:28 PM   #4
YZ
member
 
 
Join Date: November 10, 2012
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Humpback View Post
I recently bought a brand new Remington 1911 R1. Its a great no frills gun. I field stripped it before firing and Remington did a great job on packaging it. All it takes to disassemble it is to turn the barrel bushing, remove the spring plug and the rest is cake. Getting it back together is a bit of a trick from handling the spring plug and bushing wrench in the same hand, but thats not a problem in and of itself.

Put 50 rounds through it yesterday and aside from 3 problems feeding (this is most likely the magazine still getting broke in as the feed issue always happened with two rounds left in the mag, need to see if its just one mag or both of them) the gun shot very consistently. My shooting needs to improve a lot (I was having trouble shooting a 4" group at 5yds), but it was a lot of fun to shoot.

I look forward to learning the ins and outs of this gun.
What ammo did you shoot?
YZ is offline  
Old June 2, 2013, 08:56 PM   #5
Ole Humpback
Member
 
 
Join Date: December 29, 2010
Location: IN, USA
Posts: 415
Quote:
Congrats on your purchase. Pics are always nice.
Pics attached. It comes with two mags, Owners Manual, and a cable lock. Bear in mind this is the first time I've ever shot a 1911 and only the third time I've ever shot a handgun. Prior to that target, I could count on one hand the number of handguns and rounds I had shot out of them. So, before I say the gun has problems, I'll work on my handgun shooting skills.

Recoil wasn't bad for me. The gun weighs 2.5lbs without a loaded mag and weighs nearly 3lbs with the mag in it. My BLR with scope & sling and 5rds of 257 Roberts comes in just under 7lbs. So its a weighty gun for certain.

Quote:
There is a way to take down a 1911 and put it back together without any need to fight the recoil spring plug.

Pull the slide back to the take-down notch, and push out the slide stop.

Now wrap your hand around the slide and dust cover and slowly let the slide go foreward off the rail.
While holding the compressed recoil spring in your fingers.

Once the slide assembly is off, you can pluck out the recoil spring and guide.
And have your way with the barrel bushing free of spring tension.

You can put it back together the same way.

rc
I will have to try this the next time I clean it, which should be after my trip to the range this weekend.

Quote:
What ammo did you shoot?
Magtech 230gr FMC. Its $30 a box for 50rds compared to the $45 a box for 20rds of the Federal JHP Personal Protection ammo that I also have for it.

The ammo fed just fine. The feed issue that I had was when the next to last round was being chambered, the last round in the mag was also trying to slide out and feed as well. Next time I shoot, I'm labeling the mags to see if it is a single mag that is the problem or if its just the mag springs breaking in.

Other than that one hiccup, the gun worked perfectly. I'll figure I'll hold judgment and tweaks until after I've put about 200 more rounds through it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (110.7 KB, 198 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (64.9 KB, 97 views)
__________________
"Salus populi suprema lex esto" - Latin for "The welfare of the people shall be the supreme law"

"Si vis pacem, para bellum" - Latin for "If you wish for peace, prepare for war"

Quite fitting for the 2A if you ask me.
Ole Humpback is offline  
Old June 2, 2013, 08:58 PM   #6
BYJO4
Member
 
 
Join Date: November 28, 2010
Posts: 1,702
Congrats and your groups will get better with practice.
BYJO4 is offline  
Old June 2, 2013, 09:01 PM   #7
Ole Humpback
Member
 
 
Join Date: December 29, 2010
Location: IN, USA
Posts: 415
Quote:
Congrats and your groups will get better with practice.
Thanks! I was very happy with myself that I was able to at least shoot consistently and not wander all over the place on every shot.
__________________
"Salus populi suprema lex esto" - Latin for "The welfare of the people shall be the supreme law"

"Si vis pacem, para bellum" - Latin for "If you wish for peace, prepare for war"

Quite fitting for the 2A if you ask me.
Ole Humpback is offline  
Old June 3, 2013, 12:33 AM   #8
YZ
member
 
 
Join Date: November 10, 2012
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,066
Nothing wrong with that ammo usually. Could be indeed a new magazine that needed a little stretch exercise. I also own an R1 and shoot it for sports. No problems. It is every bit as good to me as the Colt Gold Cup was.

Last edited by YZ; June 3, 2013 at 12:46 AM.
YZ is offline  
Old June 3, 2013, 12:37 AM   #9
TennJed
Member
 
 
Join Date: September 26, 2010
Posts: 3,268
love, put some buffalo horn grips on and must say it is purty. Shoots great to boot

__________________
Find out just how tall I am
By jumping in the middle of a river
TennJed is offline  
Old June 3, 2013, 01:24 AM   #10
mjsdwash
Member
 
 
Join Date: January 14, 2011
Posts: 172
switch to gi mags. problems go away
mjsdwash is offline  
Old June 3, 2013, 02:49 AM   #11
JohnSkiS
Member
 
 
Join Date: March 31, 2011
Location: Sorry Gulch, Arizona
Posts: 16
First, congrats on the new purchase. Second, I have had a Remington 1911r1 since pretty close to when they came out, and I also had an issue similar to yours near the end of the magazines. And, not that it's any help, but maybe it's a little hope. My springs wore in a little and the problem DID disappear, so yeah. Congrats again. It's a nice pistol for the price especially.
JohnSkiS is offline  
Old June 3, 2013, 07:19 AM   #12
JTQ
Member
 
 
Join Date: April 6, 2009
Location: NW Florida
Posts: 3,635
Quote:
Ole Humpback wrote,
Getting it back together is a bit of a trick from handling the spring plug and bushing wrench in the same hand, but thats not a problem in and of itself.
I'm kind of surprised to see you need a bushing wrench for the R1.
JTQ is offline  
Old June 3, 2013, 08:06 AM   #13
davers
Member
 
 
Join Date: October 4, 2011
Location: Allen Park, MI
Posts: 47
Awesome! Nice handgun...I just bought the Enhanced version a few weeks ago...the bushing is tight on mine as well. So far as your shooting, if I were the bad guy, every one of those shots would have put me down for good!!!

Dave
davers is offline  
Old June 3, 2013, 08:22 AM   #14
YZ
member
 
 
Join Date: November 10, 2012
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,066
No shame in using a bushing wrench. So the manual says. I bet you'll be using your thumb before the end of the year.
YZ is offline  
Old June 3, 2013, 09:41 AM   #15
William51962
Member
 
 
Join Date: May 28, 2013
Location: South Bama
Posts: 12
Thanks for your instructions on R1 1911 take down. I just purchased a R1 and am about to break it down for her intial cleaning. So excited to soon load her up and let her talk...
__________________
William51962
Use It So You Don't Lose It
William51962 is offline  
Old June 3, 2013, 08:56 PM   #16
Ole Humpback
Member
 
 
Join Date: December 29, 2010
Location: IN, USA
Posts: 415
Quote:
First, congrats on the new purchase. Second, I have had a Remington 1911r1 since pretty close to when they came out, and I also had an issue similar to yours near the end of the magazines. And, not that it's any help, but maybe it's a little hope. My springs wore in a little and the problem DID disappear, so yeah. Congrats again. It's a nice pistol for the price especially.
Thats what I was thinking. And besides, its not like practicing alot is a bad thing. The gun gets broke in faster & I become a better shooter. Thats a win-win-win in my book!
__________________
"Salus populi suprema lex esto" - Latin for "The welfare of the people shall be the supreme law"

"Si vis pacem, para bellum" - Latin for "If you wish for peace, prepare for war"

Quite fitting for the 2A if you ask me.
Ole Humpback is offline  
Old June 4, 2013, 07:08 AM   #17
Lucky Derby
Member
 
 
Join Date: August 23, 2006
Location: Colorado Rockies
Posts: 1,695
Congrats. Nice pistol.
__________________
America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. Abraham Lincoln
Although personally I am quite content with existing explosives, I feel we must not stand in the path of improvement. Winston Churchill
Lucky Derby is offline  
Old June 4, 2013, 08:41 AM   #18
hgte2001
Member
 
 
Join Date: May 31, 2013
Posts: 34
R1

First of all lots of good field striping instructions for the 1911 published out there. Follow the ones in your literature as it is laid out for you.

No issues on magazines for me. Over 500 rounds no jams of any sort.

Group at 5 yards was less than 2" and I easily held a 3" group at 25 yards.

The guns are tight and my two shooting buddies who have them also reported very good accuracy.
hgte2001 is offline  
Old June 4, 2013, 08:41 AM   #19
VetPsychWars
Member
 
 
Join Date: June 30, 2011
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
I'm kind of surprised to see you need a bushing wrench for the R1.
All of the Remington 1911's have a fitted bushing, so they all take a wrench to get it out, at least at first. Perhaps mine will wear in eventually so that I don't need it.

Tom
VetPsychWars is offline  
Old June 9, 2013, 09:20 PM   #20
Ole Humpback
Member
 
 
Join Date: December 29, 2010
Location: IN, USA
Posts: 415
Question:

Would I be able to reproduce my "end of mag" feed issue by manually cycling (ie I rack the slide myself) live ammo through the gun or is that too slow for the issue to show up?

Also, would this reveal FTF issues with different types of ammo?
__________________
"Salus populi suprema lex esto" - Latin for "The welfare of the people shall be the supreme law"

"Si vis pacem, para bellum" - Latin for "If you wish for peace, prepare for war"

Quite fitting for the 2A if you ask me.
Ole Humpback is offline  
Old June 11, 2013, 04:46 PM   #21
Speedo66
Member
 
 
Join Date: May 31, 2008
Posts: 1,955
Looks like a nice gun, just have a problem with manufacturers only finishing a gun part way, and expecting the consumer to finish the job.

Pistols that need to be "broken in" to fire successfully, are incomplete as far as I'm concerned. I expect a pistol to function correctly out of the box.

I'm OK with them getting smoother as they wear in, but for a new gun to not feed, fire, or have jamming problems is unforgivable.

Hard to think of other consumer products that would be able to get away with this.
Speedo66 is offline  
Old June 11, 2013, 04:54 PM   #22
1KPerDay
Member
 
 
Join Date: January 19, 2006
Location: Happy Valley, UT
Posts: 10,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Humpback View Post
Question:

Would I be able to reproduce my "end of mag" feed issue by manually cycling (ie I rack the slide myself) live ammo through the gun
The only thing that will solve your feeding problem is new quality mags, IMO.

Try Chip McCormick shooting star or power mags, or Metalform, or Colt, or Mec-Gar, or Tripp, or Wilson, or....
__________________
Pet peeve: "You better send that defective __________ to me for proper disposal." Not original. Not funny. Not helpful. Please make it stop.
1KPerDay is offline  
Old June 11, 2013, 06:14 PM   #23
Ole Humpback
Member
 
 
Join Date: December 29, 2010
Location: IN, USA
Posts: 415
Quote:
Looks like a nice gun, just have a problem with manufacturers only finishing a gun part way, and expecting the consumer to finish the job.

Pistols that need to be "broken in" to fire successfully, are incomplete as far as I'm concerned. I expect a pistol to function correctly out of the box.

I'm OK with them getting smoother as they wear in, but for a new gun to not feed, fire, or have jamming problems is unforgivable.

Hard to think of other consumer products that would be able to get away with this.
This isn't an issue with the gun, this an issue with the magazine and so far since its not a consistent issue, I'm not entirely sure its the magazine. 3 hiccups out of a box of fifty rounds doesn't constitute an issue with the gun, magazine, or ammo. For all I know, I got a bad batch of ammo. Way too many variables/unknowns at this point to be going wagging the finger at Remington.

Quote:
The only thing that will solve your feeding problem is new quality mags, IMO.

Try Chip McCormick shooting star or power mags, or Metalform, or Colt, or Mec-Gar, or Tripp, or Wilson, or....
The reason I asked if manually cycling the gun with live ammo would reproduce the issue is that I have for the last few days just sat in a chair and cycled Federal JHP rounds through the gun manually. No FTF, Jams, or even the hiccup I experienced at the range.

Instead of saying "go out & spend more money", I need an answer to the question I asked.
__________________
"Salus populi suprema lex esto" - Latin for "The welfare of the people shall be the supreme law"

"Si vis pacem, para bellum" - Latin for "If you wish for peace, prepare for war"

Quite fitting for the 2A if you ask me.
Ole Humpback is offline  
Old June 11, 2013, 06:26 PM   #24
1KPerDay
Member
 
 
Join Date: January 19, 2006
Location: Happy Valley, UT
Posts: 10,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Humpback View Post

Instead of saying "go out & spend more money", I need an answer to the question I asked.
I gave you the answer, regardless of whether you like it or not. Hand cycling ammo will not reproduce the feeding problems you experience during live fire. If you're reluctant to buy known good quality magazines, at least get some wolff +power magazine springs for the magazines you have. Have a nice day, sir.
__________________
Pet peeve: "You better send that defective __________ to me for proper disposal." Not original. Not funny. Not helpful. Please make it stop.
1KPerDay is offline  
Old June 11, 2013, 06:29 PM   #25
Ole Humpback
Member
 
 
Join Date: December 29, 2010
Location: IN, USA
Posts: 415
Quote:
Hand cycling ammo will not reproduce the feeding problems you experience during live fire.
Thank you!!! That quoted part was all I needed to know. The rest I had figured out on my own. If the issue doesn't clear up with more shooting, I'll be more inclined to buy different magazines. They run for ~$30 on Brownell's so its not like they are the end of the world to me. I just hate throwing money at problems that can be solved without money is all.


Now, onto my first serious accessory purchase (outside of a holster & mag pouch): sights. I intend to use this for Home Defense and limited carry (ie wearing it while driving around) and the white 3 dot sights leave something to be desired in low light/darkness. I like the three dot setup and would like to retain that. I am not too interested in a light or laser which leaves me looking at Tritium. Since the gun comes with a Novak front sight I've been thinking about having Novak Tritium front & rear sights put on:

http://www.novaksights.com/products/sights/index.html

Experience, opinions, thoughts on this?
__________________
"Salus populi suprema lex esto" - Latin for "The welfare of the people shall be the supreme law"

"Si vis pacem, para bellum" - Latin for "If you wish for peace, prepare for war"

Quite fitting for the 2A if you ask me.

Last edited by Ole Humpback; June 11, 2013 at 06:40 PM.
Ole Humpback is offline  
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Optimisation by vB Optimise.
This site, its contents, Shooting Reviews, and its contents are Copyright (c) 2010-2013 Firearms Forum, Inc.
IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER
Although The High Road has attempted to provide accurate information on the forum, The High Road assumes no responsibility for the accuracy of the information. All information is provided "as is" with all faults without warranty of any kind, either express or implied. Neither The High Road nor any of its directors, members, managers, employees, agents, vendors, or suppliers will be liable for any direct, indirect, general, bodily injury, compensatory, special, punitive, consequential, or incidental damages including, without limitation, lost profits or revenues, costs of replacement goods, loss or damage to data arising out of the use or inability to use this forum or any services associated with this forum, or damages from the use of or reliance on the information present on this forum, even if you have been advised of the possibility of such damages.