Quantcast
Marking Brass - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Ammunition, Gear, and Firearm Help > Handloading and Reloading

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old June 12, 2013, 08:17 PM   #1
Havok7416
Contributing Member

Marking Brass

Does anyone have any ideas for marking their reloads? I am getting into 9mm Makarov and I am having a terrible time finding my brass at the range.

The best idea I have come up with is to spray or soak the cases in UV paint and use a blacklight at the range, but I'm not sure if the cases will chamber.
We’ve lost engine #1... and engine #2 is no longer on fire!
Old June 12, 2013, 08:23 PM   #2
MErl
Contributing Member

I've never bothered going beyond using sharpies.
Someone must make a UV/fluorescent only one if you are after a glowing effect to help find brass.
Old June 12, 2013, 08:24 PM   #3
Rule3

I mark all my brass with a Blue Sharpie permanent marker on the case head. But that is to ID it as mine so I do not pick up other peoples junk. There are lots of colors you can use. Some guys spray paint the case heads but that gets all over the breach face. The marker will also but comes of when you clean.
Old June 12, 2013, 08:27 PM   #4

Maks really sling brass. If shooting on turf you might want to take an old sheet for them to land on( a big one--lol). Some use a magic marker to more easily keep 17s separate from 9s. If shooting under a shed why not hang that sheet behind you.
Old June 12, 2013, 08:27 PM   #5
45lcshooter

Ive only used sharpie, tell me which load is what when im testing loads out. But sharpie would work so you can find your brass at the range.

http://gunappreciationday.com/ everyday is gun appreciation day!!!

Looking for: either to buy or to barter
32acp- jacketed bullets, bullet mold
7.62x54r- bullets
7mm Mauser(7x57) brass(1xfired), bullets
7.62x25- brass, bullets

Old unwanted dies or die sets, prefered to buy/barter in bulk.
Old June 12, 2013, 08:35 PM   #6
Havok7416
Contributing Member

I shoot at a city (indoor) range which usually has piles of brass laying on the floor. I have the primers colored with Sharpies but the last session I only managed to recover 4 out of 16 rounds fired (test loads). There are literally hundreds of 9mm cases laying on the range.
Old June 12, 2013, 08:48 PM   #7
medalguy
Contributing Member

I use nickel plated brass for Mak, gives me something to do with the nickel plated 9mm brass.
Old June 12, 2013, 08:57 PM   #8
Jim Watson

Color on the casehead is all right for sorting out your brass after you have picked it up, but it does not show well while on the ground.
There used to be a little gadget that would put a colored stripe or stripes around the body of the case.
I don't know if you can still buy one, but it would be simple enough to make. It is just a V block you twirl the round in against one or two magic markers. It is all wood and the markers are held by clothespins.
Old June 12, 2013, 09:18 PM   #9
Havok7416
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by medalguy View Post
I use nickel plated brass for Mak, gives me something to do with the nickel plated 9mm brass.
I just received 100 pieces of loaded nickel brass from Hornady but I haven't been able to find large quantities of it.

Jim, that's certainly an idea and I will see if I can make it work.
Old June 12, 2013, 09:29 PM   #10
Jesse Heywood

If you catch it, you don't have to go hunting.
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=283657
Old June 12, 2013, 09:36 PM   #11
rcmodel

Red or other color magic Marker on the case heads for concrete floors on indoor ranges.

But it does less then nothing when the brass lands on the ground or grass outdoors.
It just camouflages them better where they land & hide.

Your best bet there is a $Big $Buck $Metal $Detector, and lots of spare time on your hands when others are not around shooting, or running you off.

Or just accept the fact most of us came to realize years ago.
You are going to lose a large percentage of your brass when shooting outdoors in the rocks and weeds of a typical outdoor range.

Unless you shoot revolvers & bolt-Actions, and not bottom feeders.

Or figure out how to catch them in the air.

rc
Old June 12, 2013, 09:39 PM   #12
joneb

I to use a sharpie, after loading I draw a line across the head stamps.
Or load 2.7gr of Bullseye with a 93gr cast LRN the brass will land a few feet away.
Old June 12, 2013, 09:56 PM   #13
Old Guy

When we first started shooting IPSC, in Ontario Canada. We all marked our brass, mine was marked with fat marker, a cross, in black.

After a training session, all brass was picked up, then sit at a table, sort it all out. Now I leave the 9mm brass.

Now, I shoot IDPA, the only markings, red cross on the base of my magazines, plus a little red dot to mark the aperture, where the tenth round goes, one magazine has the 11th aperture marked for the first magazine to start the stage.

My Wife missed her bright red nail polish! I use Glock 17 magazines in the match, much easier in magazine changes, sticks proud of the butt stock, 1 inch, the Glock 19 magazine's pinch the edge of my hand, during fast mag changes.
Old June 12, 2013, 10:04 PM   #14
Havok7416
Contributing Member

Thanks everyone for the ideas and fast responses. I am going to color a bunch of cases differently and see what happens tomorrow. At least Starline brass is back in stock for 9 Mak.
Old June 13, 2013, 02:42 AM   #15
Clark

I have shot someone else's Makarov with Wolf ammo ~ 14 years ago.
The recoil was intense.
Then I read the wimpy published loads for Makarovs. There must be some disconnect.
Old June 13, 2013, 04:27 AM   #16
Havok7416
Contributing Member

Clark, I can say that the reloads that I created (3.5 grains of Bullseye under a 95 grain bullet) are fairly stout. I haven't been able to fire any Wolf yet so I can't compare.
Old June 13, 2013, 06:32 AM   #17
Old Guy

Makarov with Wolf ammo, Wimpy? This round is known for it's penetration, what will it penetrate? Anything it wants.
Old June 13, 2013, 07:22 AM   #18
gamestalker

I don't generally shoot at ranges very often, so I haven't had to deal with what you are dealing with. But I do use a sharpie to identify load work ups, so I don't see any reason why that wouldn't solve your situation.

GS
Old June 13, 2013, 10:34 AM   #19
jmorris

I went to upload a photo of a brass striper and was informed I already did, 6 years ago.

Check out post #15 in this thread http://www.thehighroad.org/showthrea...rking+the+base

I think that may be what your looking for.
Old June 13, 2013, 11:24 AM   #20
joneb

Quote:
Then I read the wimpy published loads for Makarovs. There must be some disconnect.
I guess the load data reflects safe loads for pistols other than the PM that are chambered in 9x18 Makarov.
One of my favorite loads for my PM is 3.8gr of W-231 with a 93gr cast LRN 18bhn with CCI 500 with a COL of .968" for 1,050 fps. I am using a Wolff 19 lbs recoil spring.
Old June 13, 2013, 11:52 AM   #21
Havok7416
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
I went to upload a photo of a brass striper and was informed I already did, 6 years ago.

Check out post #15 in this thread http://www.thehighroad.org/showthrea...rking+the+base

I think that may be what your looking for.
Thanks for that. I will have to track down some wood or something.
Old June 14, 2013, 04:21 AM   #22
Havok7416
Contributing Member

Ok, I finally got to shoot some Wolf alongside my reloads and Clark seems to be correct. The Wolf ammo is noticeably weaker than my upper-end handloads.
Old June 16, 2013, 10:56 AM   #23
stubbicatt

Birchwood Casey makes a "brass black" liquid.

Years ago I experimented with immersing decapped brass in this solution, so that the last inch or so of the case came out black. Aside from being able to identify my brass, this approach gave the added benefit that nobody else seemed to want it. While shooting from the bench at a public range a scrounger came by, reached down, picked up one of mine, examined it, and tossed it back on the ground. LOL.!
Old June 16, 2013, 11:22 AM   #24
jmorris

I know that leaving brass in the dirt of the Texas black land prairies for one rain will stain them black as well.
Old June 16, 2013, 12:21 PM   #25
wgaynor

When shooting in grass, I've taken large blankets/sheets from a thrift shop and place it on the ground. I then fire a few test shots to see where the majority of brass lands. I then move the "landing pad" accordingly. Makes life easier.