Quantcast
Buying with a Gun Trust - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > NFA Firearms and Accessories

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old April 3, 2014, 12:51 AM   #1
giggitygiggity

Buying with a Gun Trust

Can I still buy guns using a trust? I know there was some talk a while back about Obama using his executive power to prevent us from buying suppressors and machineguns through trusts. Has this been enacted? I am planning to buy a few suppressors in the near future and want to do so using my trust, if possible. Thanks.
Old April 3, 2014, 01:56 AM   #2
Theohazard

Nothing has changed. During all the panic regarding Obama's executive action, I decided to pretty much ignore all the speculation until something solid actually came of it. From what I hear, it's all been put off for at least a year. I can't tell you what will happen in the future, but I do know that nothing has changed at the moment and trusts still work the same way they always did.
Old April 3, 2014, 07:56 AM   #3
Aaron Baker

Nothing has changed with trusts yet. And the proposed changes would not have eliminated the use of trusts.

The proposed changes would have increased the amount of paperwork required with trusts in an attempt to make the process more similar to the paperwork that individuals had to do. Trusts currently have to submit less paperwork (no fingerprints, no CLEO signoff, no photographs).

Nothing has happened yet, and when and if it does, it won't be the death of NFA trusts.

Aaron
Old April 3, 2014, 07:59 AM   #4
dprice3844444

trusts eliminate back round checks.they want names and prints done on all listed in the trusts
Old April 3, 2014, 11:19 AM   #5
wally

Quote:
trusts eliminate back round checks
Anti lies and propaganda. You've done the background check when you buy the lower for your form 1 SBR. and your dealer does the 4473 when you pick up your form 4 item.

Its not like the BATFE couldn't do the NICS check sometime during the 10-13 months it takes for them to God knows what they do to approve it.
Old April 3, 2014, 12:30 PM   #6
medalguy
Contributing Member

I've never understood why, after waiting 12 months for a FBI presumably intensive background investigation, I have to undergo another check in the form of a NICS check when I pick up my toy. Seems like just harassment and a time waste.
Old April 3, 2014, 12:44 PM   #7
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by medalguy
I've never understood why, after waiting 12 months for a FBI presumably intensive background investigation, I have to undergo another check in the form of a NICS check when I pick up my toy.
Because, as far as I know, they're not actually doing a background check, at least not when you go the trust route.

At the LGS where I used to work, I once asked the person who processed our NFA paperwork if he had ever seen a denial on an NFA item. He said, no, not in the entire six years he'd been doing it. Now, considering that every shop gets a certain number of denials for firearms purchases due to a failed (or botched) background check, you'd think they'd also get some denials for NFA items.

We operated almost solely with trusts due to our area CLEOs refusing to sign off, so I don't know if it's the same with sign-offs. But I also realized that with trusts, they probably don't have enough personal information to even perform a background check: All the ATF gets is the Form 4s that have the trust's name and address on it, and then they have a copy of the trust with the person's name on it. So, if they were going to do a background check, all they have is a name and the trust's address. That doesn't seem to be enough information to do a proper background check, especially if the person's name is something like "John Michael Smith".