Quantcast
What companies cut and thread lever action rifle barrel? - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Ammunition, Gear, and Firearm Help > Gunsmithing and Repairs

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old December 27, 2014, 10:53 PM   #1
zerobarrier
Contributing Member

What companies cut and thread lever action rifle barrel?

Hello,

I want to cut the barrel of a Rossi 92 down to 10" and thread it .578x28 for an Osprey. So the magazine tube will need cut a little shorter then the barrel, the barrel band moved back, and the front sight put on the new shortened barrel. Does anyone know which companies or smiths that do this? I live in PA but will ship the rifle to anyone who can do it once I have the stamp to SBR it.

Thanks
Old December 27, 2014, 11:51 PM   #2
1911Tuner

Quote:
I want to cut the barrel of a Rossi 92 down to 10" and thread it .578x28 for an Osprey.
That would be illegal. If the serial number resolves to a rifle, the minimum legal barrel length is 16 inches and 26 inches overall.

If you want a 10-inch barrel, you'll need to talk to the BATF about how to go about it without gettin' yourself a 5 year all-expense paid vacation at Club Fed.

Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

-your faithful dog-

[/i]
http://www.collierescue.net/available/index.html
Old December 27, 2014, 11:59 PM   #3
BBBBill

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911Tuner
That would be illegal.
Not quite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerobarrier
I ..will ship the rifle to anyone who can do it once I have the stamp to SBR it.
Old December 28, 2014, 01:08 AM   #4
Jim K

Maybe not quite not quite. The law allows anyone to manufacture a gun for his own use, and that is true even for an SBR. But if the OP gets the tax stamp to make an SBR, the approved form is in his name and only he can do the work.

Someone else can advise or assist him, but if he has someone else do it, that person has to have a manufacturers license and NFA SOT. He can't just take or ship the gun to an 01 licensee gunsmith or a machine shop and have the work done.

In other words, getting approval to make an SBR is a waste of money UNLESS the person can and will do the work himself and mainly by himself.

Edited to add: In case it is not clear, unless you do the work yourself, you have to have a licensed manufacturer do it. And then you have to have an approved Form 4 and pay the $200 transfer tax before the manufacturer can send it back to you. So if you already have paid the tax to get a Form 1, you have hosed yourself to the tune of $200 and will have an approved, but worthless, piece of paper.

Jim

Last edited by Jim K; December 28, 2014 at 01:39 AM.
Old December 28, 2014, 03:19 AM   #5
zerobarrier
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911Tuner View Post
That would be illegal. If the serial number resolves to a rifle, the minimum legal barrel length is 16 inches and 26 inches overall.

If you want a 10-inch barrel, you'll need to talk to the BATF about how to go about it without gettin' yourself a 5 year all-expense paid vacation at Club Fed.
Not true, I guess you missed the SBR tax stamp part. Please read the full post before commenting.

Quote:
The law allows anyone to manufacture a gun for his own use, and that is true even for an SBR. But if the OP gets the tax stamp to make an SBR, the approved form is in his name and only he can do the work.

Someone else can advise or assist him, but if he has someone else do it, that person has to have a manufacturers license and NFA SOT. He can't just take or ship the gun to an 01 licensee gunsmith or a machine shop and have the work done.
This is why I asked if anyone knew of a company or smith that could do the work.

I had a beretta storm SBR'd and sent it to Gemtech who were legally able to do the work.

As long as the company or smith can legally take possession of a NFA item they can do the work.

Also a form 4 is not needed on an item that is already registered to me. If it is then I guess when I sent my CX4 off to gemtech and they sent it back to me it was illegal, and the atf agent with the NFA branch I spoke to who said I could do it was also wrong.

I am looking for an answer to my question not your legal advice on what you think is legal and not legal.

If you do not know of a company or smith that has the proper licenses to do the work I am asking please don't respond.
Old December 28, 2014, 08:51 AM   #6
1911Tuner

Quote:
Not true, I guess you missed the SBR tax stamp part.
I did. Mea Culpa. It was a drive-by at the end of a very long day.

Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

-your faithful dog-

[/i]
http://www.collierescue.net/available/index.html
Old December 28, 2014, 09:09 PM   #7
Jim K

Sorry, Zerobarrier, I was trying to help keep you out of trouble, but I can see that you know all about the NFA and the regulations, so I apologize for bothering you.

Jim
Old December 28, 2014, 09:16 PM   #8
zerobarrier
Contributing Member

Sorry 1911Tuner and Jim K, my last post came out kind of mean. I appreciate your advice but just trying to figure out who can do this. I am having a hard time finding someone. I think I may just have to get the rossi ranch hand and just add a full length stock on it once I get the tax stamp. Then have my local smith thread the barrel 1/2x28 and add an 1/2x28 to .578x28 adapter to make it longer then the mag tube. My local smith does not want to deal with cutting the mag tube plus he is only a 01ffl, so he can do the work of the ranch hand but not the rossi 92.

I wanted to do the Rossi 92 bc I like the stainless look
Old January 6, 2015, 03:07 AM   #9
kitsapshooter

I may be wrong, but it is the receiver that is the firearm. The barrel is nothing and any good machine shop should be able to thread it, even without the tax stamp. It would not be part of the firearm until it is attached to the receiver.
Old January 6, 2015, 04:25 AM   #10
cluttonfred

Another thought...if you order a replacement barrel in the new, shorter length with threads, then change the barrel out yourself, then you are clearly the one doing the part of the work that requires the tax stamp.