Quantcast
Springfield XDs Recall - Page 10 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Handguns: Autoloaders

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old October 30, 2013, 05:45 PM   #226
iblong

So what does all the extra parts do to the trigger pull and reset?
I have not sent mine in yet,not sure I want to.My trigger is pretty good for
a strieker and has given me no issues in over 1,000 rounds.
Old October 30, 2013, 06:00 PM   #227
460Kodiak

The FedEx man just dropped off my XDs. I sent it without a case just in bubble wrap. It came back in a small plastic case that looked pretty well used and beat up, but that’s fine considering how I sent it. Included was a new seven round magazine also and the paperwork stating it was upgraded. The gun appears just as clean as it was when I sent it in.

The backstrap safety seems to have a little more resistance now and feels a bit more spongy, as opposed to the totally nonexistent feel it had before. It certainly won’t impeded in draw times or be a problem in any way.

The trigger does feel a little heavier than before (perhaps a ¼ to a ½ pound heavier), but it is not “HEAVY” by any means. It now feels less gritty and more smooth. All in all, the changes are noticible, but not a problem. Trigger reset and take up distance both seem the same to me.

Turn around was two months. 8-31 to 10-30. Even though it was a “fix” that SA is calling an “upgrade”, the trigger actually feels better to me now than before.

So, they did what they said they were doing. Glad to have it back as it is one of my favorite guns. I’m planning to go function test it on Saturday or Sunday.

They’re coming home all!!!!!
Old October 30, 2013, 06:17 PM   #228
aeriedad

I appreciate the review, Kodiak. My XDs isn't to really mine, but my wife's. I have, among other things, the S&W M&P Shield. I bought her the XDs when the extractor on her Kimber Solo failed. Of course I offered her to trade me for the Shield, and of course she refused. By comparison, the Solo is more or less horrible, but also more or less better than nothing. Maybe. In any case, I'm hoping her XDs ships soon. Shouldn't be more than a couple of weeks now.
"Now remember, when things look bad, and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. And I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head, and you give up, then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is."
~ The Outlaw Josey Wales
Old October 31, 2013, 10:46 AM   #229
Captains1911

Mine was delivered about 10 minutes ago. I dry-fired it a about 10 times and honestly don't notice much difference at all, the break may be a little heavier but nothing significant like some people are claiming. I suspect it will lighten up a little with use. The reset feels the same as before, short and very crisp. Also the trigger does reset without the grip safety being depressed. I will hopefully get out to the range this weekend to put a few rounds through it.
Old October 31, 2013, 02:13 PM   #230
critter

Mine left home on 8/29 and got back on 10/31. Came in a nifty but cheap looking little plastic carrying case with an extra extended mag plus adaptors.

I agree-trigger is smooth but a little harder than before. Have to shoot it to be sure all is well with her.
Old October 31, 2013, 07:48 PM   #231
Tommygunn

Got my XDs .45 back at just after 2PM today. Came with the extended magazine like others.
I can't say the trigger "feels" any different than before -- I never even had the opportunity to shoot it before I found there was a recall & sent it in -- but it doesn't feel too bad now.
I'm glad to have my "baby" back, it's been too long.
Old October 31, 2013, 09:41 PM   #232
fedlaw

150 rds after return of my XDs 9:
I took it to the range this morning and ran an assortment of ammo. It is still 100% reliable, but the trigger is significantly heavier with some slack before a clean break.
The accuracy seems the same as pre-fix, but the heavier trigger pull is probably what kept me from any actual 1-hole groups for 6 shots.
2 curious observations:
The gun is a natural pointer. Draw and point shoot: Dead on. Draw and aim: I was shooting low and left.
Prior to the fix, I was more accurate with the 7 rd mags. Now with the heavier pull, I am more accurate with the 9 rounders.
At some point, I will probably opt to have the trigger pull lightened, hopefully to 5 lbs, and will have adjustable sights installed.
Happy to have the gun back but looking forward to having some work done on it.
Old November 1, 2013, 05:28 AM   #233
tnxdshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedlaw View Post
150 rds after return of my XDs 9:
I took it to the range this morning and ran an assortment of ammo. It is still 100% reliable, but the trigger is significantly heavier with some slack before a clean break.
The accuracy seems the same as pre-fix, but the heavier trigger pull is probably what kept me from any actual 1-hole groups for 6 shots.
2 curious observations:
The gun is a natural pointer. Draw and point shoot: Dead on. Draw and aim: I was shooting low and left.
Prior to the fix, I was more accurate with the 7 rd mags. Now with the heavier pull, I am more accurate with the 9 rounders.
At some point, I will probably opt to have the trigger pull lightened, hopefully to 5 lbs, and will have adjustable sights installed.
Happy to have the gun back but looking forward to having some work done on it.
I've got a springfield xd 40 with their custom shop combat trigger job with internal over travel adjustment. It breaks at 4 pounds and is smooth as glass it's well worth the money. Has a short pull and short reset.
Old November 1, 2013, 06:38 AM   #234
critter

I just shot mine. Put 20 rounds of 230 gr FMJ and 50 rounds of 200 gr JHP through it. Ate them all like candy. Seems to be none the worse for the work done on it and I now feel fully safe to carry it again.
Old November 1, 2013, 10:37 AM   #235
Nakanokalronin

Got my XDS45 back a few days ago, noticeably heavy around 7 1/2-8lbs easy, sold it yesterday. I don't know how much variance is in the returned XDS triggers, but many seem not to care. I don't need a NY style trigger on a carry gun.

I shot it over 2,000 times before sending it in and I knew it was a lot heavier the first time I pulled the trigger. I wasn't about to spend money to bring it back to what it used to be whenever aftermarket companies start producing lighter springs so I'll just stick with my G26 that's no harder to conceal and 3.5 disconnector for that perfect 4.5# pull.

Last edited by Nakanokalronin; November 1, 2013 at 10:43 AM.
Old November 1, 2013, 05:03 PM   #236
jimbo555

Sent mine in on 9/3, notified that it is fixed today!
Old November 1, 2013, 05:36 PM   #237
GBExpat
Contributing Member

Location: Rural, far beyond the beltway, Northern Virginia, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Nov13 Recall Update
• All XD-S™ pistols received at Springfield Armory® on or before September 10, 2013, will be upgraded and shipped back to their owners by Thanksgiving, if not before.
• All XD-S™ pistols received between September 11-30, 2013, will be upgraded and shipped back to their owners by Christmas, if not before.
• All XD-S™ pistols received between October 1-31, 2013, will be upgraded and shipped back to their owners shortly after the holidays.
According to this schedule, the soonest that I will send mine in is 2014.
Old November 1, 2013, 10:37 PM   #238
bigfatdave

That's great, tnxdshooter - but not really relevant to the XD-S recall
Am I missing something?

===

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBExpat
According to this schedule, the soonest that I will send mine in is 2014.
Agreed - I'll be waiting until the turnaround time is <5 weeks, and then timing it to return when I (or the Mrs) can easily sign for it.

===

Thanks to everyone reporting on their returned pistols, and for the link to the detailed breakdown!

Really, stop reading this and write your legislators, at all levels
Old November 2, 2013, 02:22 PM   #239
Mike1234567
Contributing Member

A LGS has an XD-S on sale. As soon as he saw me and my buddy looking at the pistols he said, "Hey guys, have a look at that XD-S... got it at a great price". Now I know why.
Old November 2, 2013, 06:35 PM   #240
ole farmerbuck
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1234567 View Post
A LGS has an XD-S on sale. As soon as he saw me and my buddy looking at the pistols he said, "Hey guys, have a look at that XD-S... got it at a great price". Now I know why.
Guess I don't understand, why?
Old November 2, 2013, 06:52 PM   #241
tnxdshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatdave View Post
That's great, tnxdshooter - but not really relevant to the XD-S recall
Am I missing something?

===

Agreed - I'll be waiting until the turnaround time is <5 weeks, and then timing it to return when I (or the Mrs) can easily sign for it.

===

Thanks to everyone reporting on their returned pistols, and for the link to the detailed breakdown!
It is.

I'm saying if your not happy with the trigger on the xds then send it to springfield custom shop to make it awesome.
Old November 2, 2013, 07:07 PM   #242
Captains1911

I just got back from the range after putting 100 rds through my XDs. It seems to function just as reliably as before, and the slightly heavier trigger doesn't bother me a bit. I still love this pistol, time for the Ruger LC9 to go back in the safe.
Old November 2, 2013, 11:48 PM   #243
arizona98tj

My XDs45 came back on Thursday. I put my trigger pull gauge on it. Unfortunately, it gained 1 pound and 4 ounces. It is much smoother than pre-recall (worst trigger I ever had on a Springfield XD platform handgun). So mine is sitting at 7lb 13 oz. I'm hoping it will lighten up after getting some rounds down range with it. Or it too may be taking a trip to the gunsmith to lighten the trigger.
Old November 3, 2013, 02:47 AM   #244
bigfatdave

Quote:
I'm saying if you're not happy with the trigger on the xds then send it to springfield custom shop to make it awesome.
That's great, if the custom shop can do such a job for a reasonable price.
The big issue here, though, is that the XD-S is not just a scaled-down XD or XD-M design inside - and with what they're doing to the guns, it might not be practical to have the custom shop adjust them, not to mention that S.A.-inc seems to be taking an "OK at best" trigger and making it heavier (but smoother)

I'll have to make the call on it after mine come back, I suppose - but I'm unlikely to pay S.A. to lighten the trigger they made heavier through their botched release/recall. And doing it twice (I've 1 each in .45acp & 9x19mm) is even less likely.
I'd buy an aftermarket parts kit and do it myself before sending the guns back in again to rectify the recall adjustment.

Old November 3, 2013, 04:01 AM   #245
tnxdshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatdave View Post
That's great, if the custom shop can do such a job for a reasonable price.
The big issue here, though, is that the XD-S is not just a scaled-down XD or XD-M design inside - and with what they're doing to the guns, it might not be practical to have the custom shop adjust them, not to mention that S.A.-inc seems to be taking an "OK at best" trigger and making it heavier (but smoother)

I'll have to make the call on it after mine come back, I suppose - but I'm unlikely to pay S.A. to lighten the trigger they made heavier through their botched release/recall. And doing it twice (I've 1 each in .45acp & 9x19mm) is even less likely.
I'd buy an aftermarket parts kit and do it myself before sending the guns back in again to rectify the recall adjustment.
I understand
Old November 3, 2013, 07:15 AM   #246
ejfalvo

Got mine back on Thursday. They had it about 7 weeks. Put 150 rounds mixed ammo thru it without a hitch, RN and HP. Trigger felt different, but that is subjective as I was already pre-conditioned to expect it via the recent posts. Still functioned flawlessly, still very accurate. Came back same state I sent it with, old SA box and 7 round mag. It's back in the EDC rotation.
Old November 3, 2013, 09:28 PM   #247
arizona98tj

Quote:
I would consider that too....except I'm not seeing any trigger kits out there.

The PRP spring package was a bust so don't waste your money on that.
Old November 3, 2013, 11:53 PM   #248
460Kodiak

Put 110 rounds through mine today without any malfunctions. Being carried again as it seems to be just fine, despite its travels to Illinois and back.
Old November 4, 2013, 02:20 AM   #249
bigfatdave

arizona98tj - thanks for the warning on the PRP kit.

And again, thanks to everyone for reports on returns and triggers.

Old November 4, 2013, 07:26 PM   #250
xwingband

Yeah, I got mine today. The trigger is most definitely heavier. It's still a good trigger for break and smoothness, just heavier. I guess I don't mind it at all as it had no safety. I carry an assortment that has heavier and lighter triggers both, so I probably won't be thrown off much.